Wondering if we told our guide the right use year..

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by babesboo99, Mar 13, 2013.

1. babesboo99

babesboo99 Veteren Disney Vacationer

My Dh and I went on a waiting list for BCV and we told him Oct or Dec use year since we would like to typically travel between Oct and Jan ( once in awhile during the summer). I was just wondering if that was the right decision can anyone give their opinion..

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

If you think you will regularly travel in October, then you may want to rethink the December UY. You want to travel early in your UY. If you travel in October with a December UY and have to cancel a trip, you'd only have until the end of November to use those points (because you'd be past your banking deadline).

4. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

no UY is perfect if you travel at different times. i never travel in the summer so Oct works great for me. if you never travel in the spring (feb-may) then maybe a June UY is better for you.

ideally, you'd 1) like to travel early in your UY and 2) never travel in the last 3-4 months or so of your UY.

also, if you already own a contract, it is easier to manage pts if you add-on to that master contract (which means getting the same UY month).

5. pinnocchiosdad

pinnocchiosdad DIS Veteran

I actually started a thread last night on the importance of choosing a UY. Some say it doesn't matter, its only for accounting reasons. UY does matter. July is the only month that my family can travel in this summer. We have a August UY. We are out of 2012 points so we will have to borrow 2013. We are not going to take the trip because due to a possible cancellation, we might lose our points.

6. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Sept would probably work better with your desired months of travel. That way, if you book your trip for Dec, but cannot go, you still have time to bank the points or rebook before they expire. If you have a Dec UY and travel in October, but have to cancel 31 days out, you are past your banking period and must reschedule a trip to end before Dec 1.

7. LisaS

LisaS DIS Veteran

We travel between Oct and May. We purchased an Oct UY and it works great for us. An Oct UY would not work as well for travel in Jun, Jul, Aug and Sep.

8. RipperSB

RipperSB Mouseketeer

As suggested in PassPorter's DVC guide "The important thing to know when deciding on the best Use Year for you is that you must bank unused points at least four months before the end of your Use Year. For this reason, the Disney Vacation Club recommends you pick a Use Year that ends during the time of year you are least likely to go on vacation."

9. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

I'd change that to Aug, Sept or Oct and not the December for all of the reasons mentioned above. Dec would actually be one of the worst UY's if you plan to regularly travel in Oct. June would be better than Dec also.

10. babesboo99

babesboo99 Veteren Disney Vacationer

Thank you, I have called my guide and told him we would prefer Sept or Oct use year..