Wonder Returns to Galveston - November 6, 2015

There are some restaurants and bars on the east side and that's where the public areas/beaches are so the locals go there on Sunday. It's actually beautiful over there. They don't have electricity and the shoreline is very rocky (think lava rock type formation). The beaches with sand are pretty small and obviously that side isn't anywhere near as developed.
So, it is either going to be a DCL excursion or stay on the boat as there will be nothing open? Oh well, been to Cozumel so I don't feel like I will be missing out by staying on the ship if there are no good excursions.

It's our first time to Cozumel, we'd like to see a bit of the area. I'll cross my fingers there will be an excursion we can book. If not what is the port like? Is it possible to get off the ship and walk/browse around the port area, or would there be no point if everything is closed?

The last time I was there we docked at a mall, or that is what it seemed like to me. I don't know if any of the stores around where we dock will be open, but I would think maybe some will be. We walked along the sea wall to shop the last time, and then we watched the U.S. Coast Guard coming in. DCL had to have known about the Sunday issue, so I am sure they will have(fingers crossed) some good excursions.

For the WBPC cruise in May that stopped on a Sunday they had plenty of excursions, just not as many as usual. I think it might be nice to have a quieter day there, and no matter what it will be something different and we will be on vacation. :thumbsup2

For the WBPC cruise in May that stopped on a Sunday they had plenty of excursions, just not as many as usual. I think it might be nice to have a quieter day there, and no matter what it will be something different and we will be on vacation. :thumbsup2
Agreed! We'll be on vacation so its all good! :beach:

So has everyone figured out their hotels yet? We were at the Galvez, but the older ones freaked when I said it was haunted. Something about staying up all night JIK. :scared: Now I keep changing hotels because I am not sure where I want to be. Doesn't help that they want to leave their dual wheel truck at the hotel during the cruise so the parking lot has to be able to handle it. Travel should be easy, not difficult!:headache:

We're at the Galvez, that's where we stayed in 2013 also. I like that I can leave the car parked there for the cruise duration. I was really worried we wouldn't be able to book them, because when I was trying online there was no availability, but I called and they found us a room. :banana:

We don't have a problem with haunted - we seem to gravitate to them. We've stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego and the Place d'Armes Hotel in New Orleans. My son does special effects makeup and acts at the local haunted house attraction which is in an old haunted hospital, so I'll blame his influence. :lmao:

Prior to booking the Galvez I was looking at Courtyard Galveston Island Gulf Front, that might be an option. If I recall correctly, I thought they had onsite cruise parking.

It probably doesn't help, but I feel your pain, it is a challenge when you're the one doing the planning. This happens to me a lot, I end up doing all the planning and no one has any ideas or suggestions until after I reserve things, then they have opinions. :rolleyes:

They are looking at going back to where they stayed in 2012, a Holiday Inn. Free parking and they have a shuttle. If I remember right though, the shuttle was horrible and they ended up in a taxi. I know DCL is using the San Luis this time, maybe I will call them.

They are looking at going back to where they stayed in 2012, a Holiday Inn. Free parking and they have a shuttle. If I remember right though, the shuttle was horrible and they ended up in a taxi. I know DCL is using the San Luis this time, maybe I will call them.

We are staying at the Doubletree. We have points and it's a new franchise down there so we haven't stayed there before. We are parking at Lighthouse so don't need the shuttle. The Gálvez is really nice, I wouldn't let a few Haunted Mansion hitchhikers put you off. :laughing: The San Luis is also nice and convenient for the Rainforest Cafe. We've stayed at a lot of the hotels on the island because it's a weekend get away for us. I am not a fan of the Holiday Inn's down there. The Hampton Inn is good but not convenient to much. The Hilton is also really nice and very close to the San Luis. In the Strand area Tremont House and Harbor House are good.

ETA: Most of the hotels offer cruise parking even if it doesn't say so on their website. If you like the sound/price of a hotel then it's worth a call to ask.

Last edited:
The Gálvez is really nice, I wouldn't let a few Haunted Mansion hitchhikers put you off. :laughing:

large_5608605568.jpg

ETA: Most of the hotels offer cruise parking even if it doesn't say so on their website. If you like the sound/price of a hotel then it's worth a call to ask.
Thanks, that's really good to know!

Well, they changed their minds again>:( Now we are back to the Galvez because they like the parking/ shuttle option. I hope we get haunted rooms to keep them awake after all this work! I told them we are not changing again as the options will be getting limited. Now onto looking at restaurants in Galveston.

Well, they changed their minds again>:( Now we are back to the Galvez because they like the parking/ shuttle option. I hope we get haunted rooms to keep them awake after all this work! I told them we are not changing again as the options will be getting limited. Now onto looking at restaurants in Galveston.

If you want to drive down to the cruise terminal to check it all out the night before, there are some restaurants very close by at Pier 21 that are very good and it's on channel that the cruise ships come into. You can google Pier 21 Galveston to find what's there. Most have patios that are right on the water. We like Olympia Grill. ::yes::

I empathize, I promise I do, but I must confess, when I read your comment about hoping for a haunted room, I laughed out loud. The bright side is the Galvez is lovely... ghosts and all!

Thanks for all the local help ukintheus. Coming from the Midwest, I can't wait for fresh seafood!
I'll second this - thanks ukintheus! I still need to look at restaurants also. We're also looking at visiting the space center, Moody Gardens, and we were recently looking the Bishops Palace. Maybe not all of them, I'm in the researching phase trying to decide. :)

I swear, they are much more decisive when there are more people in our group. To bad I couldn't talk more family into going this time. Of course, my sister has been known to join a cruise with less than a weeks notice. Talk about stress, I never want to plan another vacation like that, but it was fun to see everyone's face when they showed up!

I swear, they are much more decisive when there are more people in our group. To bad I couldn't talk more family into going this time. Of course, my sister has been known to join a cruise with less than a weeks notice. Talk about stress, I never want to plan another vacation like that, but it was fun to see everyone's face when they showed up!
:scared1: Oh my! My sister does the "you plan it, whatever you want, I don't care what we do" and then at the last minute (week before) she say's "what about X, are we going to do X, why don't we do X" whatever "X" is to send me scrambling trying to change plans. :headache: I love my sister, but sometimes, sheesh. The other thing she does, is she doesn't want to know the plans or the schedule, as she say's "you can just tell me where to be and what time", not only does that make me responsible for constantly reminding her of things, but then she'll complain that I'm wrong and its the wrong time, or the wrong place, or the wrong direction, or we're getting on the wrong bus. :crazy2:

I feel your pain, sisters are the worst. I am always in charge of planning, but I get questioned on everything. I keep telling them I have done this before:rotfl: I am glad this cruise is booking up so well that my sis can't pull the last minute "I wanna go to." I looked at the DCL site and there is only inside and a few outside cabins left. We'll see what happens after PIF date though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter