1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Wonder Feb7th Our 2nd cruise

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by lvillotta1, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lvillotta1

lvillotta1 Mouseketeer

I am so excited. I was able to book a 5night on the Wonder for Feb 7th for $2000 for 3 of us. We sailed the Dream in June 2012 and had an amazing time. Our Dream cruise was a lot of money and I felt that we would never cruise again. I am very excited to be on a smaller ship also. I have a few questions. 1) I did not get DCL travel insurance. Is that a bad idea? 2)We are going to the Cozumel,Caymans what shore excursion did you like. I have 2 kids 5&9.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

IMO, travel insurance is important (to us). Be aware that using DCL insurance is generally more costly (with fewer benefits) than booking insurance with a third party. Plus DCL insurance doesn't kick in until the first day of your trip, and won't cover airfare, unless you purchase your airfare through DCL. Using 3rd party insurance you have insurance from the time you purchase it, with the coverages you want.

For us, the biggest factor in travel insurance is the medical/evacuation coverage. Many US health plans do not cover "out of country". Having a medical emergency, and possibly needing to be evacuated from a foreign country, can be quite expensive. The couple hundred dollars that insurance costs is worth the peace of mind.

4. princessmommyx3

princessmommyx3 Mouseketeer

I thought that DCL insurance coverage starts when you pay in full. Is this not so? What if you get sick/injured a week before your trip - does DCL insurance not cover this?

5. cruisinwithmaandpa

cruisinwithmaandpa Happiness is being grandparents

Out of the 15 cruises we have taken, we have never bought insurance and never needed it anyway. I did buy insurance for the upcoming September 2014 cruise, only because it is during hurricane season otherwise I wouldn't have.

6. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

You know, I think you're correct. Sorry. But I still think 3d party insurance is better (costs less, covers more). Now, I've read of people who insure the cruise through DCL (that way, if the cruise is cancelled, and insurance doesn't cover the reason, any monies will be transferred to a future cruise - in most cases). And then they cover all other expenses with 3rd party insurance. I just like having one policy, however.