Woman with Asperger's Killed by Policemen

A non-lethal weapon here is usually a taser.

And officers MUST shoot to kill. Why? Because any bullet not placed right in the center of mass (the chest) has the potential to go through limbs and then through walls and doors, potentially killing innocent civilians. It also raises the likelihood of the officer missing his shot completely... and then again possibly hitting other people nearby.

There's a spectrum of different weapons, but many are really for rioting crowds and not necessarily appropriate when someone has a dangerous weapon.

A Taser is probably the most effective incapacitating weapon. Pepper spray may be painful, but I've certainly heard of people continuing to function even if they can't see.

I wouldn't say that they need to shoot to kill per se. The whole point is to shoot to stop the threat. A shot to the torso that stops the threat may not be fatal. It's certainly potentially deadly force. Also - most police use hollow-points that expand. Once they hit bone they'll mushroom, which increase the stopping effect and hopefully reduces the chance that the bullet will penetrate completely through the target.

And using a handgun certainly isn't like you'd see in movies where one can hit a dime. It's stressful, the target is moving, and handguns aren't particular accurate, especially when speed is important. Target shooting at a range can be taken deliberately with the sights carefully aligned. Trying to do that in a split second where there's life or death outcomes is another matter.

I understand why it's done but I wish police officers didn't have to shoot to kill. A shot to the leg would have stopped her and would have ended the situation. Their lives were in danger and they didn't know who they were dealing with so in that situation, they did what they felt they had to do.

It's gotta be an awful decision to make..

ETA- a non-lethal weapon..is that a stun gun or a beanbag gun?

A beanbag gun is actually a standard shotgun. They have beanbag loads that can be used, but the gun itself is just a standard gun.

As mentioned elsewhere, these are typically used in riot situations and/or protests (there's a lawsuit in progress over a woman who lost her eye from a beanbag round in Ferguson - it penetrated a car windshield first).

There are instances where this could be an option (I think protecting our schools would be one obvious application), and this may have been one. In the case of police officers who are required to carry lethal rounds on duty, there's an element of "time" that comes into play. And one would need to be backed by officers with lethal rounds as well. But, it may indeed be an option more often than its used.

The woman had posted a viral video of one of her meltdowns and her dog coming to her assistance. It was quite touching. I was sad to see this report and feel sorry for everyone involved.

The following news articles may help with additional information:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/05/us/aspergers-woman-killed/index.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...meltdown-shot-killed-police-suicide-call.html

Tragic situation for everyone involved. the individual, the family and the police.

Thank you for the links! I take it that this person's mother either doesn't agree or isn't aware that s/he was transgendered. Also, whomever else was in the house at the time ("a friend" the reports say) is a witness to the events. It'll be interesting, if we ever hear what they have to say.

Finally, I'm still wondering where the dog is. I'm guessing either the friend secured him before calling the police, or the suicidal person found a safe place for him earlier (an extremely bad sign if that's the case).

Officers are trained to diffuse a situation if they feel threated. Every person will have different levels of what THEY feel as a threat. They aren't trained to try this first, and if that doesn't work then try that. In most cases, they have mere seconds to make a decision and react.

IMO the officers did what they were trained to do. The officer with the crisis intervention training was on the scene and in the house with one of the other officers, presumably try to establish a dialog with the man. He lunged at the officers with a knife and they did what they had to do.

The title of this thread is inflammatory, The officers shot someone who had a weapon and was trying to use that weapon on them, not as the title implies because they had Asperger's .

As a LEO family, the title of this thread could easily have been "Police Officer killed by woman with Asperger's." It's a dangerous profession and it seems to be the latest thing to peg someone with a disability as the victim.
Exactly.

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion for some, but if you are someone that walks around trying to stab, shoot, or hurt others...you really are not suitable to be in the general population.

I don't care what your disability is. I don't want to live in a world where people are lunging at other people with knives.

Well it sets the tone of the thread in a way that you either did or didn't mean to.

People who read the link will get the actual story but the thread title IS slightly misleading.

I didn't set a tone for anything, up until page two most people were talking at what I thought was a pretty decent discussion. I mean I honestly don't understand how it's misleading when policemen did kill a woman with Asperger's, nowhere did I place any blame on any party that was involved because I do think its tragic in all situations.
I just don't see how the title is offensive.

Being the wife of a LE I can tell you the majority of them do not carry bean bag rounds , they carry a gun, spray and taser but in this case the first force used would be lethal. They can not shoot to wound because it's just not how they are trained and just not safe for others or themselves .
LE want to come home at the end of shift just like anyone else . The minute they hesitate could be the moment when their family gets " that knock on the door" to tell them how their spouse was brave and did their jobs ... But they are not coming home . It's a call every LE and their families hope never comes . I understand it's terrible someone lost their life but I know unless there is a " officer safety" alert for a certain person they may not be aware of any issues the person they are dealing with.

I didn't set a tone for anything, up until page two most people were talking at what I thought was a pretty decent discussion. I mean I honestly don't understand how it's misleading when policemen did kill a woman with Asperger's, nowhere did I place any blame on any party that was involved because I do think its tragic in all situations.
I just don't see how the title is offensive.
Just because no one said anything until page 2 doesn't mean they didn't think it. I don't care either way because I actually read the link. I was just saying why some people could be offended.

The following news articles may help with additional information:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/05/us/aspergers-woman-killed/index.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...meltdown-shot-killed-police-suicide-call.html

Tragic situation for everyone involved. the individual, the family and the police.

Thank you for posting those-they were way easier to follow than the original article.

A real tragedy for all parties involved. :( Everytime I see another news story about police killing someone because they felt threatened, I always think no matter how much training they receive, it must be very difficult to judge when the line gets crossed in the heat of such a stressful situation. I just don't know what the answer is in these situations....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter