Wk of Feb 19--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Nancy - :grouphug: Prayers to you, DH and family.
Krista, I love your shadow box. Clever of you.
Sunny, looks like you were just toasty warm (hope so)! Me, I still don’t think I would go out in it. Great pic and I’m sure security would be called if you stopped by any stores or banks on your way.
Dave, good that you are getting on with your training. Yup, it is difficult to start on some days. I like the days that once I do get going that I am glad.
Christa, sorry DD is sick. Get well soon.

wtpclc said:
Lily - What do you mean you might not play with us in January????
It doesn’t look like DH is interested and I’m thinking the funding might be difficult. It makes me really sad to not be planning on being there. I really enjoyed the last 2 years at this time.

lizdotcom99 said:
Not training like I should have been.....and need to really get my act together. I have a 1/2 to do April 1.....I need to be ready for that one!
****======>Liz
****============>Liz
****==================>Liz
****========================>Liz

<========Lily prodding Liz You can do it!

PD for job and wogging Liz

I am digging in for sure now. I am back from any obligations I've got pending, have only one more work thing pending and I am determined to get myself inthe training mode.

Who asked what it was I am currently working toward? I will be participating in the Lasalle Bank Columbus Capital City Half Marathon (Columbus, Ohio) on April 1st.

I went to the gym this morning and did 10 miles on the bike. Then I did 20 reps of WL on various machines. In kind of a blah mood today. It's still cold and dreary here in Houston. Maybe a Starbucks would cheer me up. :scratchin I'll try that later.

Hi all ~ I am new to walking/running. I am actually thinking of doing the Race for the taste 10k in Oct at WDW so I am starting my preparing now. Since I am pretty much a beginner at this I am starting off slow. Walked 1.5 miles yesterday in just over 20 minutes (gosh that seems so long compared to the 15 minute mile ~ but I am just starting out and that is walking with not very much jogging) This morning I did a mile walk in 18 minutes. I am taking it slow so I don't injure myself (and also so I don't burn out and quit) I am known to start exercising and then quit after 2 sessions because I pushed myself too hard right away ~ like when I tried riding my bike for exercise, I started out with 4 miles in 30 minutes but only ended up riding for 2 days) So I am hoping to be commited to this thing and keep with it (that is the main reason for me wanting to do the 10K in Oct. at least I will have a goal to work toward.)

Hope to be here for a while and get better as time goes along (and hopefully I will be able to make the whole 10k in Oct)

TnTsParty - Welcome! SLow is the way to st art. SOUnds like you're doing great, though. As you wilikely hear often. ALl that matters right now is getting the steps in. DOn't worry about the pace. SOunds lie a great start to me!

Heather - I think there has been a severe case of the blahs going around. I say find teh nearest Starbucks fast! ;)

Lily - I think mom needs a solo trip then. *Insert whiney voice here* You can't not come. :worried:

Morning - well I'm still in one piece, although I ache more from our recovery walk last night than I did from the half. We were going to do a slow jog but it was about 3 minutes into the route and no-one had actually started running yet (there were 5 of us who'd all run the half or the 11km the day before) so we decided this was a sign to just do a brisk walk - we got to about 5km and my friend (who's done two half marathons in the last 8 days so not exactly a lightweight) says 'are anyone elses quads really hurting' and we were all suffering - so, I now have even more respect for everyone keeping up that sub 16 minute mile pace, that stuff hurts!!!

Might go to the gym tonight and lift a rather plump guinea pig (I'm not quite up to elephants yet) but we'll see how I feel at 4.30. Tuesday is normally a rest day for me, but if I'm going to fit in 4 runs a week and 2-3 gym appointments it looks like I'm going to have to give up one of my rest days. You know that saying 'the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' I'm the other way round - the flesh wants to go, the brain wants to lie on the sofa with a copy of In Touch!!

Anyway, better go - got feature to write on why PMS makes you fat, then I have to go to the English shop up the road and buy 20 bags of chips to get their calorie counts for another job - me thinks I'd better not buy any I like or my one carb meal a day could get very crunchy!!! Helen

Nancy, prayers to you and your family on the loss of your mother in law. May her memory be a blessing.

Maggie

Good afternoon!

After a long weekend of work, I was able to squeeze a r/w in this morning. It felt great. I missed much of last week. It was just a bad week. But, a new week has begun and last week is in the past.

Sunny - you look cool! I just have no desire to run outside in the cold weather.

Krista - that shadow box is great!

It seems a lot of you have booked your rooms for 2007. Is this necessary? Is anyone looking/planning on staying at any of the value resorts?

Maggie

Maggie - I was able to book Pop for Friday night at 6 months out for 2006. So, it's not urgent, but don't wait too long. 3 weeks out, from Thur to Sun the only ones available were OKW and SSR.

Thanks Carrie!

I stayed at pop the last time we visited and will be staying there this May. I figured I may as well stay there for the marathon weekend too. The rates are always so great!

Maggie

i totally have the blahs!! I think it is the taper depression. I'm just too hyperactive to taper. Having the boy sick last week pretty much forced the taper. I am going to do 2 short runs this week (hopefully ) b/4 the weekend.

It seems that a lot of people are missing today!

Krista - I love the shadowbox. Mine didn't look nearly that nice, but it's done now so i'm not going to crack it open. I love the pictures! They look really cool

Hi WISH Team!

TnTsParty, Great to have you here! Welcome. You've got it. Slow and steady, and you will be fine. Your time will increase as you get some under your belt. Don't push too fast too soon. We don't want to lose you. Let us know how you are doing. Soon, you won't want to stop either.

wtpclc said:
Lily - I think mom needs a solo trip then. *Insert whiney voice here* You can't not come.
:hug: LYMI! I am going to keep at my training and see what happens as time goes on. It does make it a little sadder for me though b/c I haven't made the actual registration or formal commitment. It is feeling good that I am training and I am enjoying that.

:wizard: Blahs be gone! everyone.

Exercise of the week: (I just thought I'd try to "inspire.") :scratchin

As we are sittin' around not wanting to make those steps. Get your toes moving and trace the alphabet. (This is good to aid in stronger muscles where shin splints might creep in cuz we're all blahing around here not wanting to put in those steps I'm thinking.)
Everyone, that is A-Z! (Don't leave a letter behind.) When yer done, One more time!
:teeth:

TnTsparty - Welcome!

Krista - Love your shadow box. I'm working on mine. If I can figure out how to post the photo, I will.

Christa - I'd love to see the day when I can say my pace was kinda slow -only 10 mpm.

Nancy - :grouphug: and :wizard: :wizard: for you and your family.

Carrie - Love your Winnie the Pooh!

Don't know how much I'll be posting the rest of the week. Will be out of town for a conference from Wed-Sun. Hotel has a nice fitness center so I'll be able to get my workouts in. I sometimes do better at my workouts when I'm out of town. No distractions! :)

Terri

Hi All !!! My boys come home today :cool1: They have been with grandparents in Mobile since Friday.

Also, I booked POR with Anthony Travel today for the Minnie. I am so excited about staying onsite again. Has anyone else used them before? I know they have to be legit since Disney is using them as their agency for the event, but I'm such a control freak (are all us WDW obsessed people) I don't like it being in someone else's hands. Got a great rate so I couldnt pass it up.

I did 40 min on the dreadmill today & ST. Felt pretty good. I can't wait to train outside again. This is driving me nuts.

TnTsParty-Welcome! You will love it here. Everyone is right. You have plenty of time to improve your pace. Just put in those steps and it will come. :thumbsup2

Helen-that's hilarious, plump guinea pig :rotfl:

Maggie-we didnt book our room until end of Aug or beg. Sept last year. We stayed at WL. You have some time, but I think the PO resorts filled up faster because of proximity to start line. We added a night at POP and didnt book that till November. We loved the Pop by the way!

Liz-good luck with the interview pixiedust:

MelR-congrats to your DH :banana:

wtpclc said:
Christa - You need to get your dd trained fo rwhen to be sick and when not to! ;) Hope she's better soon!
Thanks to all the WISHes for DD to get better...after my meeting..We went to the indoor track at our church. She counted my laps (20 laps are 1 mile :scared: ). I did 3 miles:
mile 1: 8 MPM
mile 2: 9MPM - had to stop and answer a question from DD
mile 3: 8:something...I forgot to turn off my watch and did not look at it as I passed DDs "finish line".

OH........this weekend, DD5 told one of her friends that I won the WDW marathon and that is why I got a Donald, Mickey, and Goofy. :rotfl2: She is so proud of my winning! :hyper: I have told her I didnot, but in her mind I won and daddy (who also ran Goofy) came in 2nd. :thumbsup2 I'm a winner! :goodvibes

Good Evening Everyone,

Tonight's Treadmill Work:
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 10 minutes
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 10 minutes
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 5 minutes
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 5 minutes (a little over 4 miles at this point)
2.9 - 10 minutes (cool down - at this point 4.57)

I looked really fast at the TM and it said something like my overall minute/mile was 13.09 or something like that, is that good? I mean for a beginner :confused3 ? I hope so.....I'm really working hard :goodvibes

If it wasn't so late I would do my Winsor Pilates.....I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Have a good night everyone :thumbsup2 ,

Jodi

Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

I was away for the weekend. We took a family trip to Cleveland to visit my sister-in-law. It was a great weekend. SIL watched the princesses so DW and I could go see a movie, and we all then went to the science museum. I didn't walk at all in order to give my shins a rest. Here's my training update:

Fri - elliptical and then yoga
Sat- rest
Sun - rest
Mon - 2 mile walk on treadmill

Yeah, I walked again on Monday for the first time in a week. My shin felt OK. I didn't feel any of the sharp pain which was good, and I iced it in the evening.

OK, I'm going back now to catch up with everyone's going on.

:yoda: :surfweb:

I know I won't be able to reply to everyone, but I did want to send a couple messages to people.

Nancy - I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. Please accept my sympathy.

Mel - wow, I am always amazed at the connections between people here on this thread. My research is in neuroendocrinology and I use to teach endocrinology in my courses at Middlebury College.

Amy - where in Vermont were you? I used to live for 5 years in Middlebury, VT., and learned to ski at the Middlebury Snow Bowl. Ooooh, those winters can get cold. I remember some -20 temps without any wind chill.

Jodi - your TM workouts are great! Your running parts are faster than 10 mpm pace. You are doing fantastic!

Sunny - so what did you come away with in the heist? :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Seriously, good for you for getting out there in the wind and cold. You go girl!

Christa - I hope your DD5 gets better soon. Our DD5 princess: just went through a cold herself and was miserable. She has now passed her cold on to DW and now I'm fighting it too.

MelR - Hey, congrats to DH on his win in the adventure race!!! Good luck with your 26.2 mile "training" run.

Liz - good luck with everything you've got going on. Sounds like life is busy for you right now.

TnTSParty :welcome: party: Hey, you'll find this group is great. I just joined a couple weeks ago and they have been so welcoming and such an inspiration. Welcome to the TEAM!

Lily - I like your exercise suggestion. I really need to strengthen my shins. Question, when you are tracing the alphabet are you moving your whole foot or just your toes?

Good luck with your training everyone. I'm going to try to keep walking this week and strengthen those shin muscles. I'm feeling more motivated this week than last.

jodi -Awesome Pace!!

Christa - Your dd is the greatest! You won, daddy 2nd. I love it. My db's text said that I beat my dh by a second (official times did not). My wonderful dh told people that I beat him buy a second. :goodvibes

I think it was MelC's dd that said mommy had run X number of races, but she never wins. :rotfl2:

Good morning everyone! Glad you made it back safely Dave. Terri- Have a safe trip.

Another :rolleyes: moment: My DH has not signed up for the marathon yet. He has run it the past 2 years (finishing in just over 4 hours both times). I signed up the first day registration opened. For those who don't know me, this will be my first marathon. I asked DH when he was going to register, and he said he did not know. I told him he could just go and watch next year. He said that he was thinking he might do the marathon with me, which means he won't have to start training until at least October (i.e., you are so slow I don't have to train to be able to keep up with you for 26.2 miles). :furious: He's probably right, but how insulting. I have basically been training for the full marathon for 2 years now (doing the 1/2 in 2005 & 2006). He can train in 3 months? :( Okay, vent's over. He really is the best and very supportive of me. :love: I don't think he meant to diminish my accomplishments or my abilities. He's just a guy and doesn't get it sometimes.

Today was a stonker at the gym. I struggled through 1.5 miles of run3/walk2 and then just walked for another mile. I think the 10 miles on the bike yesterday wore out my legs. I might go back to walk3/run2 for a while and see if that works better after my bike rides. It is just so hard to get the image out of my head that in order to be a marathoner you have to be a runner. I know that is not true because I am living proof of that (I walked the 1/2 in 2005 and walked/ran the 1/2 in 2006), but I still have this overwhelming drive to run in order to validate myself as an athlete. But running hurts my hip and my knees and my shins if I run for too long, even if I run slowly. I guess the point is that I am still trying to find the right balance. :duck:

Thanks for the welcome. I walked another mile today. I had to go to the grocery store which is .5 miles from home. So I walked there and back. Also in the afternoons I joined a group of people from work that walk around our building. The only thing is they walk at too slow of pace and only go around once ~ I may go around a second time without them today. I am taking it slow and haven't burnt out yet (I made it past 2 days so now lets see if I can last longer than a week!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter