Wk of Dec 25--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

I feel like I've loaded enough glycogen this past week to run two Goofys :rolleyes:

I just have 5 little miles to do either today or tomorrow. :)

I was thinking that the next new thread I post will be the last one before the races :earseek:
When's everyone leaving for WDW? I'm wondering if our post counts will drop dramatically next week. We leave late Thursday night.

I just can't believe it's almost here...a whole year of training, planning, working toward this unbelievable goal and it's finally only days away.

Pinning the race number on the waist pack sounds like a fab idea! Thanks, Mel!

And whoever mentioned packing the water bottle, that's one I had forgotten so thanks for the reminder!

I just had a discouraging last LR! My stomach cramped the whole time!!!! Anyway, my pace was slower than it should have been for an 8 mile run. If I did that pace for hte race i'd be happy, but not for 8 miles and a week of tapering! I guess I just need to remind myself that each day is different! the last LR was better than this one. I also got up really early (YUCK) and i didn't go through my morning routine b/4 i ran, b/c i wanted to be back in time for phil to leave for work.

I did get to see the sunrise :sunny: :sunny: and the aches and pains that i have had were gone. They are usually there from the start of a run to the finish so the rest was probably good in that way!

Rhonda - that is terrible. I'm glad that you didn't get bitten! I hope you heal quickly!

That's what I feel like. You guys are all going and I'm staying home watching. Well, watching my cell phone anyway. :flower:

I'm so excited for all of you, and I am studying all your posts and packing lists and game plans and tapering.

Who needs a personal trainer!?! I've got you guys! :teeth:

On a less enthusiastic note, I could NOT get out of bed this morning to get on the TM. Then I got really angry with myself. :guilty: I'll be leaving work early today so I'll do it this afternoon. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I don't know if I mentioned this but I am in the begining stages of Lupus and some days are hard. I guess this must be one of those days.

Anyway, onward and upward! Maybe I'll watch Golden Girls while I'm on the TM. That always makes me happy! :goodvibes

Hi everyone,

My computer crashed last week so I've been off the internet. Very frustrating :rolleyes:

Honibee and PerfectMatch - I'm like both of you. Due to an injury that happened several months into the training I will also not be able to run in the WDW 1/2 marathon this year :guilty: I have been reading and spreading :wizard: when I can though for all of these wonderful people that helped me get off the couch and out on the road.

My best to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morning!

I did my last taper run this morning. Around 8 miles. DFIL came over and we just ran. No route, we just ran and watched the time. It was kinda fun.
The sun was beautiful coming up. I'm not a morning person but I love being up and running in the early morning. I feel like I have the roads to myself.

I bought my new shoes last night to run in this morning. I figured I would run the 1/2 in my older shoes and the whole in my new shoes.
Hopefully that will turn out to be a good thing.

It's looking like the weather will be in the low 60s for us next weekend. I have to say I'm a little discouraged by that. I got so chaffed last year in the heat, I really didn't want to wear shorts this year, but it's looking like I might need to since it will be a little on the warm side. BUT still not as hot as last year so that something to be thankful for. AANNNNDDD I can wear my cool lime green short sleeved shirt for the whole. I'm wearing my W.I.S.H. shirt for the half.

Honibee - girl I am very impressed by you! The fact that you are getting out there and excersising is so great. Many people with your condition would just sit back and feel sorry for themselves, or let the pain be their excuse to not excersise. You seem to embrace life, and are so positive. YOU GO GIRL!!!

must get to work now :guilty: I SO rather be at WDW!

~bree~

zoegirl said:
morning!

I did my last taper run this morning. Around 8 miles. DFIL came over and we just ran. No route, we just ran and watched the time. It was kinda fun.
The sun was beautiful coming up. I'm not a morning person but I love being up and running in the early morning. I feel like I have the roads to myself.

I bought my new shoes last night to run in this morning. I figured I would run the 1/2 in my older shoes and the whole in my new shoes.
Hopefully that will turn out to be a good thing.

It's looking like the weather will be in the low 60s for us next weekend. I have to say I'm a little discouraged by that. I got so chaffed last year in the heat, I really didn't want to wear shorts this year, but it's looking like I might need to since it will be a little on the warm side. BUT still not as hot as last year so that something to be thankful for. AANNNNDDD I can wear my cool lime green short sleeved shirt for the whole. I'm wearing my W.I.S.H. shirt for the half.

Honibee - girl I am very impressed by you! The fact that you are getting out there and excersising is so great. Many people with your condition would just sit back and feel sorry for themselves, or let the pain be their excuse to not excersise. You seem to embrace life, and are so positive. YOU GO GIRL!!!

must get to work now :guilty: I SO rather be at WDW!

~bree~

:blush: Ohhhh, thank you. To be quite honest, my real motivation are my "girls". I'm so afraid of something happening to me and then who would take care of an old retired horse and arthritic cat? Well, I guess DH would, as best he could.

Anyway, Thanks! :goodvibes

The last LR is officially history. 5 miles at a 14:00 pace! :cool1: It was 70 degrees, so even I went out in shorts and short-sleeves. I've actually tossed a pair of shorts into the bag, just in case it's warm enough next weekend. ;)

I've made a large lime green sign for Trails End so we can all find each other!

We're almost there!

And it looks like the 2007 team is shaping up nicely! I'll be registering as soon as we get back from '06.

MelRhoads said:
I just had a discouraging last LR! My stomach cramped the whole time!!!! Anyway, my pace was slower than it should have been for an 8 mile run. If I did that pace for hte race i'd be happy, but not for 8 miles and a week of tapering! I guess I just need to remind myself that each day is different! the last LR was better than this one. I also got up really early (YUCK) and i didn't go through my morning routine b/4 i ran, b/c i wanted to be back in time for phil to leave for work.

I did get to see the sunrise :sunny: :sunny: and the aches and pains that i have had were gone. They are usually there from the start of a run to the finish so the rest was probably good in that way!

Rhonda - that is terrible. I'm glad that you didn't get bitten! I hope you heal quickly!

Hey MelRhoads, I prefer to look at this as a very, very good sign. You are supposed to be on the tapper which means SLOW down and reduce your milage not just reduce the milage. You have built the fitness now you are simply letting your body know how it feels to keep moving. Enjoy the rest and remember that a walk/run of a thousand miles always starts with one step. :sunny:

goofyguy1958 said:
Hey MelRhoads, I prefer to look at this as a very, very good sign.:

I was just about to say the same thing! I would be a little frightened if I cranked out a PB for a long run right now. I want to keep it for the race! :wave2:

By the way, I am really antsy, can't wait for my 6-8 miler tomorrow! Nice and slooowwww.

Colleen

Orlando weather update: this morning 45 degrees, up to about 70 this afternoon. bring the winter woolies girls just in case. Can't stop got about 1 min left in hotel - hope everyone good, I'm tapering beautifully (that's code for Helen can't be bothered to run far!!). See you soon: H

Hi All,

Did my FINAL run today :cool1: 8 miles real slow, lots of walking. I'm feeling a TINY bit queazy, not liking that idea one bit!

PLUS, last night for no apparent reason I decided to try on my sausage shorts and take a good long look in the mirror :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: I went out in public in these things???? I really wish I didn't look. I will probably get dressed in the dark on race day and I wouldn't have been the wiser. But now I have that image seared into my brain. I just may wear a pair of loose light shorts over the top. I think I'm going to go with one of my tried and true running tanks for the race (its lime green at least). I am stressing too much over the shirt.

Honibee-- imagine where'd they'd be if Houston wasn't at home taking care of them :cheer2: Next year will be your turn!!!!!!

Sunny

Hi, everyone. Not sure how to bring myself to say this, but I am not sure we will be making it to Orlando. Howard is in the hospital after a very painful night. I haven't slept since about 1:15 a.m. so I am more than a little weepy right now.

Howard found out last week that he has a kidney stone and he saw the urologist yesterday to go over the results. The doctor told him it is about the size of a gumball -- impossible to pass and will have to be surgically broken down with many days of pain and bleeding afterwards as his body gets rid of the fragments. They might even have to do a second procedure to break down the pieces even smaller. We had hoped to schedule it for the week of 1/9, but he woke up in excruciating pain at about 1:15 am and we were in the ER several hours later. They have admitted him and are keeping him totally sedated because they can't manage his pain otherwise. The stone moved down in his left kidney and is blocking the ureter, shutting down that kidney's operation. The kidney is swollen with fluid that he can't pass right now and they have to keep giving him IV fluids because he was dehydrated. They are also giving him dilaudid for the pain and phenargen for the nausea. He projectile vomited this afternoon (he had been vomiting all night) and there was blood in it. No one has any idea what that is from. The plan is to surgically insert a stint from the kidney to the bladder tomorrow, both to empty it and to keep the stone away from the opening where the ureter goes to the kidney. If the procedure works and he is comfortable enough, he may be able to go to Orlando, though there is no half-marathon in his near future. The doctor was so regretful and compassionate. Like Sunny's experience, I was pleased to have the doctor and nurse acknowledge certain test indicators of an athlete. When he is conscious, I will tell him about that and it will make him smile. He must have said 5 times today in moments of lucidity, that he just can't believe this.

I don't know for definite the game plan for next week yet, but his doctor said his objectives are (1) manage pain; (2) preserve kidney function; and (3) get Howard to a point where he can get on a plane Thursday morning, even if he is totally drugged with pain killers and medication for the spasms the stint will cause.

Your prayers would be greatly appreciated. Seeing him in that much pain last night and today totally put everything in perspective. But there is still a selfish voice inside me wanting to drag him onto a plane even if he sits in a wheelchair at the finish line to cheer me on. I'm such a jerk. Thanks for eveything, guys. :grouphug:

Cam - I am so sorry to hear about Howard, I hope the pain subsides & he heals quickly. I don't even know you, but I feel that my experience @ the 1/2 won't be the same without you there. I pray for the best possible scenario. I'm real sad right now, & you're right, things like this put life in perspective. My best to both of you.

Jodi

Cam - So sorry to hear about Howard. :sad1:

I hope he's feeling better real soon. :grouphug: and :wizard: for the both of you.

Terri

Cam

You're not being selfish, so don't even think that. I hope Howard gets better and you both can enjoy some sun and relaxation and you can make it to the starting line.

Craig

Cam - As I said in my pm, you have worked sooo hard for this! I want to add that Howard would want you to go through with the race if he was able to think clearly. I'm guessing that as soon as he is, he will tell you. Lots and lots of prayers going out to you 2 and his doctors/surgeons.

Cam... :grouphug: :wizard: for you both! Keep us informed on what happens! We sure hope to see you both in Orlando. You're not being selfish. I'm sure Howard would understand your feelings. He's been along for the run with you and everything you've been through this year. I'm sure he knows how much this means to you.

Cam, :hug: I am so sorry to hear your news. Hope that this all works out and Howard will be on his way to healing quickly. Yes, he would want you to participate. Get through this part first though. Prayers to all involved that everything goes as it should. A wheel chair and sunshine might be just the thing for him.
:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter