Witnessed a crime scene at EPCOT!

I'm grateful most of the little bandits at WDW are squirrels, and not the rat I saw near the DVC pavilion in Adventureland! That rat was huge, and not related to Mickey at all. Shudder!

I saw one of Mickey's cousins at DHS last May in one of the stores. They ushered me outside (I was the only one in there & told them about seeing it) while they tried to get rid of it. He was a big guy!!

I was mugged by a squirrel once, but not at Disney. The university my husband went to had a lot of squirrels used to being fed by the students. One time I was sitting on a low wall, waiting for him, with a candy bar in my purse on the wall next to me.

A squirrel came and begged from the sidewalk. I ignored him. He got up on the wall next to me and begged again. I ignored him. He went over next to the purse and begged a third time, and was ignored again. Well, no more Mr. Nice Squirrel! He started digging through my purse to find the candy bar. I grabbed the purse by the strap and tried to shake him off, and he bared his teeth and barked at me. I backed off and let him be. He scattered my purse's contents about until he found the candy bar and carried it off.

Frankly, I'd rather they take my stuff when I'm not around than threaten me!

:rotfl: One of the funniest stories I have ever heard.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Years ago, my brother was cutting down some old trees for firewood and didn't realize that one of the trees had a squirrel nest in it. My brother was careful to place the babies in a little nest on the ground and then checked on them several hours later, the momma squirrel never came back and he decided she must have been killed. My brother felt so bad, he brought the four babies home, kept two, and gave one to us, and the other one to my parents. We went to the vet who gave us some pet formula and we raised her with a tiny bottle he gave us. All four babies made it and round up being pets. We named ours Trouble and after she got big enough to survive on her own released her in our front yard, thinking she'd find a mate and go back to the wild. Nope, she found a mate and had several litters of pups, but she remained tame up until she died a few years later. She lived in some oak trees in our yard, but every time we pulled into the driveway, she'd come running and run straight up our legs to sit on our shoulders or wrap herself around our necks. Every time we opened the door, we had to be careful or she'd run in. Our neighbors adored her and were always feeding her. However, Trouble never did figure out which humans to avoid.:rolleyes1 She just loved people and would charge anyone that entered the yard to run up their legs (sometimes she wouldn't even bother to run up the legs, but would just take a flying leap at you and expect you to catch her. Everyone that pulled into our driveway accused us of having an attack squirrel.:rotfl: I don't know how many times I'd hear someone yelling, look out the window and see some salesman dancing around, arms flopping, screaming like a girl, trying to knock Trouble off them. I'd open the door and accuse them of scaring my squirrel. Most left rather quickly with Trouble either sitting on the ground with her back arched and fur standing straight up or on my shoulder, hissing and chattering at them.:rotfl:

Laughed out loud! Awesome!

Last week a friend of mine came out of the Land Pavilion to find a note written on her box of Nilla Wafers: "Do NOT eat! Squirrel ate some." She thought it was funny, and nice of the Good Samaritan to let her know.

My friends were at AK and saw a squirrel run into a store and steal a snickers bar and run back out and up a tree with it.

I also saw a squirrel running into a store at AK. He went directly in the candy dept. The CM said there is nothing they can do, they keep coming....

It was in the store in Dinoland.. I do have a picture... Hope I can find it !

This didnt happen at Disney but on a Carnival cruise several years ago-

We were docked in Cozumel. We had just gotten our food from the breakfast buffet line and went to sit in the dining area outside. A lady put her plate of bacon and eggs on a table near us but left the plate to go back inside to get something. In the half a second that she turned her back, about 50 seagulls swooped in and devoured the entire plate of bacon and eggs. There were birds divebombing the plate and little bits of scrambled eggs flying off the plate like paint being splattered. What was even more amusing was the look on the lady's face when she returned. The birds were gone but she was staring at an empty breakfast plate.... it was that deer in the headlights look.... :laughing:

You gotta love Florida wildlife.

I will second those crazy white cranes near the turkey legs at AK. My son is terrified of them after we we were surrounded by them. Quite frankly, we had about about 10 closing in on us in a circle and it was scaring the crap out of me. Enough to make me not buy turkey legs from that stand anymore lol.

And this has nothing to do with Disney or food but my husband works at a resort right on 192 around the Disney area and about 2 months ago....and we are talking broad daylight in a busy parking lot for no reason whatsoever....he had a freaking alligator under his car, lmao. It was a small one. Couldn't have done much more than nip at an ankle or bite off a toe, but still...He was like...wth?! Just thought I'd add that to brighten your day.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The other day I walked into the room with a plate of chicken and my pet bird landed right on top of it, started eating, and squaked annoyed at me when I tried to get him off! I thought this is worse than a dog that begs because birds come down from the air. Yes, my bird loves chicken and gets two tiny bites a day.

I've never seen this happen at Disneyland. Maybe because of all the cats. ;) Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing a squirrel at DLR. Now I know to keep my food undercover at WDW! What worries me most about it is any germs they may have.

Good point PinkBudgie! DLR cats are on patrol and keeping the parks "squirrel crime" free.

Next WDW trip we are gonna be on the lookout!

You gotta love Florida wildlife.

I will second those crazy white cranes near the turkey legs at AK. My son is terrified of them after we we were surrounded by them. Quite frankly, we had about about 10 closing in on us in a circle and it was scaring the crap out of me. Enough to make me not buy turkey legs from that stand anymore lol.

And this has nothing to do with Disney or food but my husband works at a resort right on 192 around the Disney area and about 2 months ago....and we are talking broad daylight in a busy parking lot for no reason whatsoever....he had a freaking alligator under his car, lmao. It was a small one. Couldn't have done much more than nip at an ankle or bite off a toe, but still...He was like...wth?! Just thought I'd add that to brighten your day.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

not just a florida thing have you ever been to the boardwalk in nj? watch for those stupid seagulls.

A number of years ago we were staying at Caribbean Beach and loved to eat our breakfast in the courtyard of our building. One morning we watched a crow working away at a pizza box that someone left on top of the waste bin the night before. I know I should have shooed him away, but it was amazing to watch him figure out how to open the box. Unfortunately he opened it only to find it was empty. He was not a happy bird.

I saw a lady get tagged teamed by two seagulls at MK years ago. She had an ice cream. The first seagull came from the front and while she was trying to shoo him off, the second one came from behind with the swoop down. Knocked the ice cream out of her hand. Determined little critters.

As Nigel stated in Finding Nemo.....they're like rats with wings. :lmao:

Oh, and many birds are carnivorous. Hawks, eagles and most raptors eat mice, lizards, snakes. The Ibis and Egrets (the white birds) that are so common at the Disney parks will eat the lizards, fish and most any meat offered to them. They would far prefer meat over bread any day. Gulls will eat anything they can get a hold of.

Disney actually paid money and had an expert at FW for several years to encourage these birds.

My opinion - cats would be better - they would definitely discourage the birds and squirrels - but unlike birds - cats like to eat in save places - so no blood and guts in front of the kids.

sometimes happen not sure what - but Disney got rid of her - or at least moved her - she is no longer at Disney world.

or even a guy w/dog

spiceycat said:
Disney actually paid money and had an expert at FW for several years to encourage these birds.

My opinion - cats would be better - they would definitely discourage the birds and squirrels - but unlike birds - cats like to eat in save places - so no blood and guts in front of the kids.

sometimes happen not sure what - but Disney got rid of her - or at least moved her - she is no longer at Disney world.

or even a guy w/dog

I've always read in books that Disney has hundreds of feral cats roaming the property to keep the mice population!

We were "attacked" during the Nemo show back in 2008. Something ate thru my outer pouch of my back pack that was on the stroller to get the food inside. Right by the zipper, ruined the back pack as now it does not zip. :(

In Feb I was taking the Ferry from TTC to MK... I love going upstairs and standing by the railing looking out. Before we left, there were birds EVERYWHERE near the Ferry. Of course, some people found it cute that they were "begging" and started tossing them food. This went on for a bit and the birds kept coming closer and closer, even landing on the railing waiting for more goodies until a CM told the other guests not to feed them because they will get very aggressive.

Some people just don't follow directions and continued to toss food when the CM wasn't looking. So, They kept following the boat all the way across the lake and swooping down VERY close to our heads. The entire boat ride, I kept looking over head praying I wouldn't get a surprise dropped from above.

A few years ago over by Frontierland where the Turkey Legs are. There was a crane just hanging around looking rather interested at family of four and their 4-5 year old enjoying her turkey leg. It kept getting closer and closer, even hopping up next to where she was sitting trying to steal it from her until a CM who saw that, shooed it away. The darn thing stayed around though, eyeing it's next victim.

I know there's nothing that we can do but, Dis should relocate some of the population. Isn't there a place in this world that needs Turkey Leg stealing cranes? :lmao:

In Feb I was taking the Ferry from TTC to MK... I love going upstairs and standing by the railing looking out. Before we left, there were birds EVERYWHERE near the Ferry. Of course, some people found it cute that they were "begging" and started tossing them food. This went on for a bit and the birds kept coming closer and closer, even landing on the railing waiting for more goodies until a CM told the other guests not to feed them because they will get very aggressive.

Some people just don't follow directions and continued to toss food when the CM wasn't looking. So, They kept following the boat all the way across the lake and swooping down VERY close to our heads. The entire boat ride, I kept looking over head praying I wouldn't get a surprise dropped from above.

A few years ago over by Frontierland where the Turkey Legs are. There was a crane just hanging around looking rather interested at family of four and their 4-5 year old enjoying her turkey leg. It kept getting closer and closer, even hopping up next to where she was sitting trying to steal it from her until a CM who saw that, shooed it away. The darn thing stayed around though, eyeing it's next victim.

I know there's nothing that we can do but, Dis should relocate some of the population. Isn't there a place in this world that needs Turkey Leg stealing cranes? :lmao:

Well, people can quit feeding them. The problem didn't start with the animals. It started with all those people who thought they were "cute". I hate the birds that hang out at AK at Flame Tree. Squirrels are nasty little rats.

I was staying at POR and decided to grab a bite and eat outside --big mistake! As soon as I opened my sandwich, two little black birds arrived, one boldly on the table, the other on the back of the chair next to me. I was slightly amused, but I continued unwrapping. As I lifted my sandwich to my mouth, I looked up and saw about 20 more birds coming to land on the overhang above us. I laughed and mentioned to my friend that too many birds were interested in my sandwich --and they were looking down at me, I looked away for a second and more birds show up---now, I'm wigging out as it was beginning to look like that scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" you know that scene where Tippi Hedrin goes outside the school to smoke a cigarette and doesn't notice all the birds gathering on the monkeybars? We grabbed our things and ran off, it was too weird. :rotfl2:

We've been victims of bird theft twice. The first was at BWI as we walked towards Epcot, a seagull swooped down and snatched a granola bar out of my 3 year old daughter's hand. The second time was at the quick serve at Wilderness Lodge. A big black bird flew down and grabbed a fry from our basket as we were looking for a table. Scavengers!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter