With the Mine Train coming...Could Big Thunder Mountain's days be numbered?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by zpbarn01, Jan 5, 2013.

1. zpbarn01

zpbarn01 Earning My Ears

I recently watched the simulated ride along on the Mine Train and it looks similar to BTM. I'm sure the finished product will produce an entirely different ride experience but I can't help but come back to the fact that essentially there will be two mine/train coasters in MK. Does anyone else think Mine Train will ultimately lead to the demise of BTM?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LockShockBarrel

LockShockBarrel Pudge controls the weather.

I think if Disney thought that they wouldn't be going through the refurb on BTMR's queue. Granted I thought "2 mine trains?" but I'm hoping between the themeing and the ride vehicles they're be different enough.

4. Chuck S

Chuck S DVC Boards Co-Moderator Moderator

I doubt it. Similar, but still very different themes. If they wanted to differentiate them further, they could do some re-theming to BTM, and make it more Southwest/Grand Canyon/Painted Desert themed.

5. Peter Pirate 2

Peter Pirate 2 <font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I

While BTMRR is no major coaster isn't the new Dwarves coaster just an off the shelf repeat of Barnstormer?

6. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

No

7. Bee2u

Bee2u ImJustBeeNme

I hope not - BTMRR is my favorite ride!

8. rabbitroger

rabbitroger Mouseketeer

BTMRR is one of the headline acts still. It draws crowds all day long. It has comparatively few ongoing costs. It is very recognisable. The cost of tearing it down and replacing it with something different in that space which would be as popular would be huge.

For all those reasons and more, the answer is no.

9. PatMcDuck

PatMcDuck DIS Veteran

I don't think of it like that, I have never been on a coaster with those swinging cars. From the way it looked to me, at the D23 convention, when you go around a turn, the cars swing out to the side, so you are sort of sideways around the turn, but you swing out, I saw the car but can't remember the exact mechanism.

Of course, it is not meant to be a major E ticket thrill ride. The theming will be the key for it to stand out.

10. Peter Pirate 2

Peter Pirate 2 <font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better about it.

11. michelleiada

michelleiada DIS Veteran

If I remember correctly, the new Mine coaster is supposed to have some kind of swinging cars...very different from BTMRR.

12. zpbarn01

zpbarn01 Earning My Ears

My hope is they go for theme over thrill on Mine Train. On the other hand, I'd also like to see a thrill ride in MK.

13. zpbarn01

zpbarn01 Earning My Ears

Let me clarify, other than Space which I don't consider the level of a Tower or RR Coaster.

14. Dznefreek

Dznefreek DIS Veteran

Given the footprint of the ride and the fact that it will probably be kid friendly (under 40") I believe BTMRR is safe . . . . .

15. cheshireqt

cheshireqt DIS Veteran

You scared me with the title! :scared1: Now that I have read the post, no I don't think they will.

16. RES1536

RES1536 Earning My Ears

From what I've heard, the track will be longer than the barnstormer.

17. andyman8

andyman8 DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

From what I've heard, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be a slight step down from BTMRR. Imagine lots of speed and tight turns, but no (not even in the slightest way) drops.

And I don't think BTMRR will be going anywhere, particularly after they put all that work into it last year and they're working on the new queue. Apparently, they could even be a tv show about the attraction in the works. Doesn't sound like an attraction with numbered days to me.

18. zpbarn01

zpbarn01 Earning My Ears

Good point about the Tv show, I heard something about that as well

19. 4chickadees

4chickadees Earning My Ears

thanks for all the good info! I hope BTMR stays (it doesn't make sense to kill it!)

20. LockShockBarrel

LockShockBarrel Pudge controls the weather.

I think if anything, you might see a Buzz Lightyear/TSM situation.

21. YoHo

YoHo If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

If they had an cahones, they'd take Big thunder out and put in mine train through Nature's wonderland (would that even fit in MK like it did in DL?

Or they'd get a real big pair and build the Lewis and Clark Attraction as Walt intended.