With Every Passing Hour, I'm So Glad I Left My Tower! My Solo Birthday Adventure *NEW 3/5

Too bad about the glaring lady...and good for you for not letting it spoil your parade time. The heat and humidity...we were there June 21-27th and coming from New England it was overwhelming. Totally understand you baking in the sun. Hurray for free ice water!!
Catching up on your trip...sounds like fun...I want to go back!

I am glad the folks next to you helped out with the rude lady! Why do people feel entitled? I do not understand that! Anyhoo, glad you finally got some water, and the air conditioned rest (and I agree that those are really the only reasons to see Hall of Presidents these days.)

Some people make no sense ... I'm glad the people nearby stuck up for you!

I love all of your parade pictures! It's definitely not easy to stand out there in the heat, so I hope that next time you go back adn get to see the parade it will be nice, cool, shady, and breezy and you'll enoy it even more!

Some people are certainly strange...you find them everywhere..ugh. You got some amazing pics though...despite the heat and everything!

The pavement was scorching hot, so I couldn’t sit down, which probably made it seem longer.
We had the same issue in the fp area.

but to be honest there was only three reasons I was seeing it now. 1) to escape the mass crowds, 2) a place to sit down, and 3) air conditioning.
All Wonderful reasons to get in there.

I was expecting the animatronics to be a large part of the show
Huh I thought they were as well.

Love the Dream Along with Mickey pictures! It's something I've always wanted to see but we never seem to make it.

I'm sorry the wait for FOF was so hard with the heat, sun, and rude lady! Glad the reward was a fun parade!

And happy you got a break and some AC after - excited to read more updates!

Too bad about the glaring lady...and good for you for not letting it spoil your parade time. The heat and humidity...we were there June 21-27th and coming from New England it was overwhelming. Totally understand you baking in the sun. Hurray for free ice water!!
Catching up on your trip...sounds like fun...I want to go back!

It was unseasonably hot the week I went, so I wasn't expecting it to be as hot as it was. I want to go back too! I always want to go back

I am glad the folks next to you helped out with the rude lady! Why do people feel entitled? I do not understand that! Anyhoo, glad you finally got some water, and the air conditioned rest (and I agree that those are really the only reasons to see Hall of Presidents these days.)

I was just confused as to what was going on, I had no idea what she was complaining out since I wasn't actually in front of them. Oh well, just because some one else is grumpy doesn't mean I have to be grumpy too.

Some people make no sense ... I'm glad the people nearby stuck up for you!

I love all of your parade pictures! It's definitely not easy to stand out there in the heat, so I hope that next time you go back adn get to see the parade it will be nice, cool, shady, and breezy and you'll enoy it even more!

Thank you! Spoiler alert: I did see the parade again and it was much better when I wasn't baking.

Some people are certainly strange...you find them everywhere..ugh. You got some amazing pics though...despite the heat and everything!

Thank you. With all the people in Disney World, you are bound to run into a few odd or cranky ones.

We had the same issue in the fp area.

All Wonderful reasons to get in there.

Huh I thought they were as well.

I didn't know much about Hall of Presidents before I saw it, but I was expecting the animatronics to be talking about presidency or something, not just a movie.

Love the Dream Along with Mickey pictures! It's something I've always wanted to see but we never seem to make it.

I'm sorry the wait for FOF was so hard with the heat, sun, and rude lady! Glad the reward was a fun parade!

And happy you got a break and some AC after - excited to read more updates!

Dream Along was on my "must do" list, but I always find it hard to plan to be there during whatever times it is on. I was lucky to be there right as it was starting.

Hey everyone! I'm sorry that it has been so long since I've posted. These past few weeks have been insanely busy trying to get my classroom ready for the first day of school (which was yesterday) and also moving into my very first apartment. Lately it's been a struggle to even find time to eat dinner, let alone get on the DIS or write an update. I'm hoping to write an update soon and get back to reliving my amazing trip. I promise to post one as soon as I can. Thanks for hanging in there.

After I re-energized with some air conditioning and ice water I headed to Tomorrowland for my 3:45 FP+ for Space Mountain. I was assigned the last row in a car with a little boy and his dad, but the dad asked if I would switch with him so he could be behind his son. I had no problem with it, I actually like the front better because you can’t see what is coming. It was a fun ride through the galaxy, although my water bottle fell out of its pocket and started rolling around the floor so I kept trying (unsuccessfully) to pin it down with my leg.

upload_2015-9-8_21-5-40.png

After blasting through space, I decided to go on a spin on the PeopleMover because the PeopleMover is always a good decision.

upload_2015-9-8_21-6-4.png

upload_2015-9-8_21-6-15.png
Crazy to see all that construction

upload_2015-9-8_21-6-36.png

It started raining at some point while I was inside the Space Mountain part and was raining pretty hard by the time I was back outside. Oh well, It was kind of strange to see a deserted Tomorrowland from above, with the exception of a few people trying to dash for cover.

The rain slowed down quite a bit by the time I got off, but it was packed around the exit because everyone was trying to huddle under cover. I went across the street and got in line for Buzz since the line was under cover and if I’m going to wait out the rain, it might as well be for a ride. Not long after I got in line, the skies opened up and it started pouring buckets!

upload_2015-9-8_21-7-22.png

upload_2015-9-8_21-7-34.png

I was starting to get annoyed because the line wasn’t moving at all, I think I only took a few steps in 15 minutes. But it turns out that there was a part of the line that wasn’t covered and everyone was leaving a huge gap so they wouldn’t have to stand in the rain. It was kind of funny to watch once I got closer because people would wait for space on the other side of the gap and then sprint through the maze of chains, usually while screeching. Once everyone was out of the section of line, they re-routed the chains so we didn’t have to go through that part of the line. And after they did that the line moved really quickly. By the time I got to the inside part of the line it had practically stopped raining.

I held my own against Zurg, but my score wasn’t anything too amazing. I never know where I’m aiming on that ride.

upload_2015-9-8_21-8-26.png

upload_2015-9-8_21-8-37.png
The ride photo always catches me off guard and I always end up with a super serious face. I guess I was concentrating very hard.

The dump shop was jam packed when I got off and when I made it to the doors I found out why, it was pouring again. So I found an empty corner of the store and dug out my poncho. There was no way I was wasting precious Disney time waiting out rain that might not stop!

I wanted to stop at the Tomorrowland FP+ kiosk on my way by to see what my options were for a fourth fastpass. But that entire area was packed shoulder to shoulder. :crowded: I considered just skipping it because I didn’t want to wait in such a long line, but decided to try it anyway. Good thing I did, because there wasn’t a single person using the kiosks, they were only hiding from the rain. It was 5:15 at this point and I got a 5:55 FP for the Haunted Mansion.

After securing my fastpass, I braved the rain again. I had to hold the hood of my poncho tightly so it wouldn’t blow off in the sideways downpour and I ended up soaked even with the poncho. But a little rain wasn’t going to stop me! I was literally the only person walking through the rain, I didn’t pass a single person who wasn’t hiding under whatever eave they could find. The park seemed completely deserted, especially the hub and path around the castle where there isn’t any cover. It was strange, but really neat. How often do you get to walk through the Magic Kingdom completely by yourself in the middle of the day?

I decided to stop at the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The entrance to the line was packed with people just standing and waiting out the rain. I don’t understand it, if you are going to wait anyway why not just get in line? At least you would be using your time somewhat usefully instead of just wasting it. :confused3

I didn’t wait very long, but in that time the rain stopped, started, and stopped again.

upload_2015-9-8_21-9-12.png

upload_2015-9-8_21-10-17.png

It was an adorable ride, as always.

That Space Mountain photo is great, so cute how the dad is holding his son's hand behind him. Nice of you to switch, and I'm with you - I prefer the front!

I love the Pooh ride, yay!

Love your rain and Disney philosophy! We basically have the same idea. It rained pretty hard yesterday, but we just went and saw Country Bears and the Tiki Room, and then everything was good! And at least you're doing something with your Disney time :D

Glad to see an update - I love this solo trip! It's making me want to plan one, though realistically my husband loves Disney just as much as I do, so I'm not sure when one would happen :P

I love the dad holding his son's hand in the Space Mountain picture!

I'm baffled by people's behavior at Disney in the rain. It's like they think the only options are run back to the hotel or huddle under something and stay there. People, there are indoor attractions to experience! Several of them have fully covered lines!

Sounds like you were able to enjoy yourself despite the rain, which is great!

That Space Mountain photo is great, so cute how the dad is holding his son's hand behind him. Nice of you to switch, and I'm with you - I prefer the front!

I love the Pooh ride, yay!

The front of Space Mountain is awesome, it makes it seem like you are all alone

Love your rain and Disney philosophy! We basically have the same idea. It rained pretty hard yesterday, but we just went and saw Country Bears and the Tiki Room, and then everything was good! And at least you're doing something with your Disney time :D

Glad to see an update - I love this solo trip! It's making me want to plan one, though realistically my husband loves Disney just as much as I do, so I'm not sure when one would happen :P

Thanks so much! My solo trip was wonderful, I never would have thought I could have so much fun by myself for a week.

I love the dad holding his son's hand in the Space Mountain picture!

I'm baffled by people's behavior at Disney in the rain. It's like they think the only options are run back to the hotel or huddle under something and stay there. People, there are indoor attractions to experience! Several of them have fully covered lines!

Sounds like you were able to enjoy yourself despite the rain, which is great!

It would take a lot more than rain to keep me from using every minute of my Disney time! There is so much that you can do while avoiding rain and even if you can't avoid it, there are worse things than getting a little wet

The rain had stopped by the time I got off Pooh. I had a little time until my FP+ window for Haunted Mansion opened up, so I decided to go to PhillarMagic.

At this point in the day, my feet were killing me. The blister had gotten worse and walking around on wet flip flops didn’t help any. But I didn’t want that to get in the way of my Disney time, so I just tried to ignore it. But, looking back, I wish I had done something about when I first noticed the blister forming.

As I walking through the PhillarMagic queue the blister popped and I almost fell over because it hurt so much. :faint: Luckily there wasn’t anyone behind me so I could stop for a few seconds to regain my composure. I managed to limp through the rest of the queue and just had to wait in the holding area for a few minutes, although it felt like an eternity. Thank god for being able to sit down for little while.

The show was adorable. PhillarMagic is so perfect, I love it!

It was 6:00 once the show was over, so my Haunted Mansion fastpass was open. I kind of half-limped in that direction. Since my blister was on the ball of my foot near my pinky toe, I tried to walk with my weight over my big toe, which is not easy to do.

After my ride with 999 happy haunts, I decided it was time to head out of the park. I had planned on staying for Wishes, but since I had just seen it the night before and was planning on seeing it again later in the week, I didn’t feel like I had to stay for it that night. Plus I had done almost everything in the park that I wanted to. I was exhausted, my feet hurt, and I had an early morning the next day. So I decided it was best to sacrifice a little park time in order to get some rest.

On my way out of the park I stopped for a photopass photographer in the hub. She was already with a family, so I politely stood off to the side to wait my turn. While the photographer was finishing up with them, another large group came up to the other side and started putting their bags down. I was going to say something to let them know I was waiting, but they walked over to the first family while the photographer was scanning their magicbands, so I thought they were all together. Nope. The first family walked away without a word to the group. I was already slightly annoyed that they I had cut me in line, but while they were arranging themselves one of the women flashed me a smirk that told me she knew I had been waiting and they decided to purposefully cut me. Which just made me mad. And then they proceeded to take a million pictures with every possible combination; whole group, individual families, each couple, kids from each family, just kids all together, kids with grandparents, just adults all together, some other random combinations, and whole group again. And the entire time I was just standing there fuming. :furious: I mean, seriously, I am one person, they couldn’t just wait for me to take a few pictures before having this giant photo shoot?

I finally got my turn, after that woman flashed me another “haha” look. The photographer was amazing, she spent a lot of time with me and took a bunch of pictures from different angles.

upload_2015-9-23_21-28-37.png

upload_2015-9-23_21-28-52.png

upload_2015-9-23_21-29-5.png
I love this picture, too bad my bangs are doing funny things.

I headed out and walked the 10 miles to the bus stop. I don’t think I waited too long for a bus and made it back to AoA at 7. I was starving, so I went to Landscape of Flavors for dinner. I was cutting through the gift shop on my way there and noticed that the pin board was out! I traded for a very cute Pascal pin

upload_2015-9-23_21-29-31.png

While I was at LoF, I grabbed something for breakfast the next day since I knew it would be an extremely early morning. I wanted a muffin, but there weren’t any in the pastry case or many other breakfast options. So I decided on a chocolate croissant.

I got some Create-Your-Own Pasta for dinner. Cappelletti pasta with alfredo sauce, shrimp, spinach, mushroom, and topped with parmesan cheese, and it came with garlic bread.

upload_2015-9-23_21-31-53.png

It was AMAZING! The alfredo sauce was super creamy and had an amazing flavor, the shrimp was flavorful and cooked perfectly, and the spinach and mushrooms were super fresh. Plus the garlic bread was toasted perfectly and was very delicious. It was definitely the best meal I had all week!

While I was at dinner I realized just how badly I got sunburnt during FoF.

upload_2015-9-23_21-32-6.png
Yup, just my luck. Blister and sunburn on my first day.

As soon as I made it back to my room, I filled the tub with hot water to soak my feet. I took a shower, slathered my sunburn in aloe, and curled up in my comfy king bed to watch some TV. I watched Duffy’s Bedtime Story for the first time, very cute. And I was asleep by 10. That goes to show just how exhausted I was. I am a night owl and never go to bed that early. I don’t remember the last time I went to bed that early before that and haven’t gone to bed that early since. I’m really glad I decided to make it an early night. I really needed that extra rest.

While I was at dinner I realized just how badly I got sunburnt during FoF.

Yup, just my luck. Blister and sunburn on my first day.

Sunburns really sneak up on you!

We put on our spray sunscreen every day religiously, and I thought I was doing pretty good until we spent an afternoon in the pool :P You really need real sunscreen for that, not just spray.

Plus, I realized that foundation just doesn't cut it when you're in the Florida heat for hours! Next time, I'm bringing face sunscreen so I don't look like a tomato in the later pictures...

I got some Create-Your-Own Pasta for dinner. Cappelletti pasta with alfredo sauce, shrimp, spinach, mushroom, and topped with parmesan cheese, and it came with garlic bread.

It was AMAZING! The alfredo sauce was super creamy and had an amazing flavor, the shrimp was flavorful and cooked perfectly, and the spinach and mushrooms were super fresh. Plus the garlic bread was toasted perfectly and was very delicious. It was definitely the best meal I had all week!

I don't know if it's still there, but POR used to have this too, and it was easily my favorite food thing from our family trips to Disney! Glad to hear the create your own pasta is still awesome - I may have to try and find some on a future trip, especially since my husband keeps talking about visiting POR to see how it's changed :)

I hate people who purposely cut in front of you! Ugh, so rude! But luckily the photo pass photographer was nice to you!

I hate people who cut in front of you. I've learned that its sometimes better to say something. It often doesn't make a difference, but sometimes it does - even if the people who went in front of you refuse to allow you to go first, sometimes the photographer will insist that you go first if its brought to their attention.
But overall ... people are not always so nice and that's frustrating.

Ouch, that sunburn looks painful :(

Ouch - a blister and sunburn in the same day!

I'm sorry that group cut in front of you - how frustrating and rude!

Glad you got some rest for your early morning!

Oh man! What a sunburn! I have very fair skin and learned a few years ago that California Baby is the BEST sunblock. Crazy expensive, but it is totally worth it for us easily burned people. Because it's zinc based you really have to rub it in, but on our last Disney trip and Beach trip (June and August) no one in our family got burned. Hallelujah! My sister still insists on using Neutrogena 80+ because the spf claim is higher than Cali Baby's 30+ and its cheaper, but she gets burned every summer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter