• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

With Every Passing Hour, I'm So Glad I Left My Tower! My Solo Birthday Adventure *NEW 3/5

Thanks for the information on Marceline to Magic kingdom. It sounds like a great tour and worth the amount spent on it. I don't think It is spoilers because I'm unlikely to remember the stories in the next few months.

I love that you wore a Lion King shirt to Animal Kingdom!

I totally get what you're saying about being sandwiched between strangers on Kilimanjaro Safaris. It's so hard to take pictures (or even see the animals sometimes) if you're not on the end, and having strangers there giving you dirty looks when you're trying to take pictures is just not cool.

I hope the rest of the day went better than your morning!

I try to theme my outfits at Disney, so wearing a Lion King shirt on my AK day was a must! It definitely made it harder to see animals being squished between strangers.

:rotfl2: I think Dead is the right word you're looking for.

::yes::

::yes::

:thumbsup2

:rotfl: Tell me how you really feel!

That's unfortunate!

You're right, I think dead is a much better word.
:laughing:

Thanks for the information on Marceline to Magic kingdom. It sounds like a great tour and worth the amount spent on it. I don't think It is spoilers because I'm unlikely to remember the stories in the next few months.

I'm glad you liked the information, I couldn't find much before I did the tour. It really was such an amazing tour, and for a very reasonable price.

After my safari I decided to go on the hunt for some more animals and explore the Pangani Trail.

upload_2016-1-18_13-47-5.png

upload_2016-1-18_13-47-22.png
Pretty flowers!

upload_2016-1-18_13-47-37.png
I love this fish wall, even if I couldn’t really see any hippos that day.

upload_2016-1-18_13-48-0.png

upload_2016-1-18_13-48-17.png
Someone was having a lazy day.

upload_2016-1-18_13-48-58.png

upload_2016-1-18_13-49-10.png

upload_2016-1-18_13-49-21.png

The gorillas weren’t very active, but I still love this trail. Everything is so pretty and peaceful. I sat on a rock across from this waterfall for a little while to give my feet a break (because, yes, they still hurt like crazy) and tried to decide what to do next.

I decided to do something that I’ve never done before.

upload_2016-1-18_13-49-55.png

upload_2016-1-18_13-50-8.png

I saw Chip & Dale meeting, but the line had been cut off and they were about to go on a break. So I went to explore the building.

upload_2016-1-18_13-51-13.png
I love this building, so gorgeous.

I didn’t really know what to expect. I looked around, but didn’t really see anything that interested me. My feet were really starting to hurt, so I found a bench in a corner somewhere and sat down for a little while and took some ibuprofen.

After a quick break, I headed out of the building and found Chip and Dale playing some games outside. They were already in the middle of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes so I found a nearby bench to watch from.

upload_2016-1-18_13-51-40.png

The guitar guy kept catching Dale pick his nose and try to wipe boogers on other people.

And then they played hot potato with an acorn.

upload_2016-1-18_13-52-58.png

Chip kept trying to eat it.

upload_2016-1-18_13-53-18.png

But Dale made sure he didn't get away with it.

upload_2016-1-18_13-53-46.png

It was a lot of fun to watch their silliness!

After their games they starting doing meets. I’ve heard stories of how they always have fun meets, so I got in line. The line built up really fast because everyone playing or watching the games just followed them over to the meet area. They cut the line off after the group after me. So if you want to meet them in this area, keep in mind that you’ll have to jump in line quickly.

Unfortunately, this meet wasn’t anything great. Just a few hugs and pictures and thats it. But to be fair, it was kind of my fault because I didn’t say anything to them at all. I never know what to say when I meet characters, my awkwardness kinda takes over.

upload_2016-1-18_13-54-10.png

upload_2016-1-18_13-54-25.png

I saw Jiminy Cricket meeting in that area too, but his line was kinda long so I decided to skip it. I didn’t realize at the time that it was Earth Day and Jiminy was a special meet just for the day. If I had known that I probably would have gotten line, but oh well.

After hanging out with the Chippys, I decided to head back to Africa.

upload_2016-1-18_13-47-22-png.146069

Pretty flowers!

So pretty. I love photographing flowers. My favorite thing to photograph.

Unfortunately, this meet wasn’t anything great. Just a few hugs and pictures and thats it. But to be fair, it was kind of my fault because I didn’t say anything to them at all. I never know what to say when I meet characters, my awkwardness kinda takes over.

upload_2016-1-18_13-54-10-png.146084

Very cute pic! I'm socially awkward myself so I understand not knowing what to say to the characters. Hoping to learn some tips for that before my trip

Joining in here! Now that I'm snowed in in NY, I binge-read your entire report:P. A solo trip sounds so adventurous!! :D I'm really enjoying all the great pictures and reading about your trip so far. ~ Marina

So pretty. I love photographing flowers. My favorite thing to photograph.

Very cute pic! I'm socially awkward myself so I understand not knowing what to say to the characters. Hoping to learn some tips for that before my trip

I always feel kind of awkward meeting characters, I never know what to say. Hopefully it is something I'll get better at because meeting characters can be so much fun.

Joining in here! Now that I'm snowed in in NY, I binge-read your entire report:P. A solo trip sounds so adventurous!! :D I'm really enjoying all the great pictures and reading about your trip so far. ~ Marina

Welcome and thanks for joining!! I've definitely binge read a few trip reports, they can be addicting!

After my meet with Chip and Dale I decided to head back to Africa. On the train back I looked at the times guide and noticed that Festival of the Lion King was starting shortly. It was perfect timing! So that is where I headed next. I had never seen FOTLK before and it was on my must do list for this trip.

upload_2016-2-18_15-17-2.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-17-27.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-17-45.png

By the time I got there it was only about 10 minutes until the show started. I got a seat a few rows down from the top, but it was still a good view.

Someone a few rows in front of me had a GoPro camera on a stick mount thing and once the show started they decided to hold it up in the air to film it. It was pretty annoying since it was right in my line of view, but a CM came and asked them to keep it down lower. Yay CMs!

upload_2016-2-18_15-18-31.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-18-46.png

I was in the giraffe section. Who knew they sounded like sheep?

upload_2016-2-18_15-19-23.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-19-44.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-22-42.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-23-0.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-23-52.png

The Tumble Monkeys were a lot of fun!

upload_2016-2-18_15-27-2.png

The blue bird was my favorite, she is just so graceful and beautiful.

upload_2016-2-18_15-27-22.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-27-46.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-28-0.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-28-11.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-28-23.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-28-41.png

It was an amazing show! I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it before this trip. I didn’t know what I was missing. It definitely made my must do list for Animal Kingdom now.

After the show I decided to move on to Asia.

On the way there I stopped for a few photopass pics in front of my favorite tree.

upload_2016-2-18_15-29-6.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-29-19.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-29-31.png

And then decided to go on the search for tigers.

upload_2016-2-18_15-31-5.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-31-19.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-31-31.png

I skipped the bats because I've dealt with enough bats when I was an RA in a 100 year old building where bats were constantly finding their way in. Yeah, I'm not a fan of bats. At all.

upload_2016-2-18_15-34-15.png

Unfortunately the upstairs tiger viewing area was very crowded and I couldn’t see much, so I just walked through. I did manage to find a spot to squeeze in downstairs. But apparently it was tiger nap time so I didn’t stay long.

upload_2016-2-18_15-35-2.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-35-24.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-35-40.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-35-50.png

upload_2016-2-18_15-36-0.png

The themeing of this area is amazing! I didn't get to see many animals, but I’m glad I took the time to admire some of the details.

Looks like a great time in AK so far. I can't wait to explore this park. Last time I was at WDW AK hadn't even opened yet.
I would skip the bats too. Have enough of them around where I live.

The show was fun, but I also have a certain amount of anxiety during that show because I live in fear of being put on the big screen. It’s silly I know, but I don’t really like being put on the spot without notice.

Just joined in and getting caught up on your trip report. Had to pause here and say I TOTALLY agree! I love the Laugh Floor but I am always super scared I'll get put up on the screen. Last time I was there the person in front of me was picked and when the spotlight came up my stomach lurched and I was like OMG NO IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!! Then I was SO RELIEVED when it wasn't me!

It was an amazing show! I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it before this trip. I didn’t know what I was missing

I totally agree with you here. I saw it for my first time last October and wondered why I had never done it before. So awesome. Love your pics too!

Great updates! I enjoyed the trail pics. We always go to Disney in August so with the blistering heat we usually only get to do Killamajaro Safari and one or 2 more things before it gets too hot and we have to retreat back to our hotel for a cool drink and some champion air conditioningo_O. I've never been on any of the trails and your pictures make me want to make it to one - hopefully this summer!! :D

I can't believe you had never seen Festival of the Lion King before this trip ... it really is amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed!

I love your tree pictures ... you look great!

Looks like a great time in AK so far. I can't wait to explore this park. Last time I was at WDW AK hadn't even opened yet.
I would skip the bats too. Have enough of them around where I live.

I'm sure you'll love Animal Kingdom! The themeing is amazing and there are so many things to see

Just joined in and getting caught up on your trip report. Had to pause here and say I TOTALLY agree! I love the Laugh Floor but I am always super scared I'll get put up on the screen. Last time I was there the person in front of me was picked and when the spotlight came up my stomach lurched and I was like OMG NO IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!! Then I was SO RELIEVED when it wasn't me!

I have such a love/hate relationship with that show. It's a great show and I love watching it, but I can get over the fear that they'll choose me to be on the screen, or someone near me will be chosen and I'll be in the background. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

I totally agree with you here. I saw it for my first time last October and wondered why I had never done it before. So awesome. Love your pics too!

Such an amazing show! I guess I'll just have to watch it over and over to make up for lost time :laughing:

Great updates! I enjoyed the trail pics. We always go to Disney in August so with the blistering heat we usually only get to do Killamajaro Safari and one or 2 more things before it gets too hot and we have to retreat back to our hotel for a cool drink and some champion air conditioningo_O. I've never been on any of the trails and your pictures make me want to make it to one - hopefully this summer!! :D

The trails are some of my favorite things to do at Animal Kingdom, you never know what you'll see. I can understand not wanting to do it in the heat though, Animal Kingdom always seems hotter than the other parks for some reason.

Huh good to know! :thumbsup2
:crazy2: can't blame you there! yuck!

Who said Disney can't be educational? :laughing:

I can't believe you had never seen Festival of the Lion King before this trip ... it really is amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed!
I love your tree pictures ... you look great!

Thank you! I can't believe it either! That show is so amazing and I had no idea what I was missing

After my trek through the jungles of Asia, I decided to go on an expedition up Mt. Everest. Luckily, I had a fastpass for the 12:45 train up the mountain.

upload_2016-2-24_17-14-13.png

upload_2016-2-24_17-14-35.png

I love Expedition Everest! So much fun!

Of course, I had to stop for some photopass pics in honor of my journey. The photographer was super sweet.

upload_2016-2-24_17-14-56.png

"Oh no, there's a yeti!"
upload_2016-2-24_17-15-25.png

And then Tink stopped by
upload_2016-2-24_17-15-55.png

On my way to the next land I spotted another photographer on the bridge.

upload_2016-2-24_17-16-18.png

I really like the way it turned out. That is an awesome photo location because there isn’t anything theme-park-y in the background.

upload_2016-2-24_17-17-5.png

Then I continued my journey to DinoLand. And went on a spin on the Primeval Whirl. The wait was longer than expected because one side broke down.

upload_2016-2-24_17-17-24.png

I don’t know why I always insist on going on this ride. It is so jerky and makes my stomach do flips. And its not even that fun. I think next time I’ll just skip it.

And then it was time for DINOSAUR, which was practically a walk on

upload_2016-2-24_17-17-46.png

I find that ride slightly terrifying, in a fun way. I’m a super jumpy person and I don’t love when things jump out at me or take me by surprise. I couldn’t remember exactly where the giant Carnosaurus was but I knew it was coming so I kind of half expected it around every corner.

upload_2016-2-24_17-18-55.png

I love how everyone else in the photo is just smiling and unfazed by the huge dinosaur roaring at us and then my face is like “oh crap we’re gonna die”

I had started getting hungry when I first got to DinoLand, but it was really hot out and I didn’t feel like eating. By the time I got off Dinosaur it was after 1:00 and I had barely eaten all day. I still didn’t really feel like eating, even though I was really hungry, but I decided that I really needed to eat something. I didn’t want to go too far because my feet still hurt like crazy and I wanted to minimize my walking, so I tried to find something in the area. I remembered seeing a food cart near Primeval Whirl so I headed back there to check out the menu. But they only had snacky things like nachos and pretzels.

Next, I went to Restaurantosaurus but the line was insanely long, there were actually 2 lines that came out of either door, snaked dow the porch ramp, and went all the way to the path. I didn’t want to wait in that line so I decided to check out the menu at Dino-Bite Snacks next door. All they really had was ice cream, but that sounded like a good choice for such a hot day, so I got in line. But after a minute I realized that I really didn’t want ice cream. So I sucked it up and got in line for Restaurantosaurus. After standing in line in the blaring hot sun for 10 minutes and not moving a single step I realized that I was way too hot to eat a hot meal and I didn’t want anything on the menu. So I got out of line and headed back to Dino-Bites. But I still didn’t want ice cream, so I just kind of stood around trying to decide what to do since there weren’t any other restaurants in the area. I finally decided to go back to the Dino Diner food cart next to Primeval Whirl for a pretzel.

upload_2016-2-24_17-20-39.png

I ordered a Mickey pretzel and frozen lemonade since I felt like I was melting. I really needed to get out to sun, but the only shade around was the few umbrella topped tabled near by, and of course they were all taken. I noticed that at one table the only people sitting there was an older couple who were sitting on a bench facing out, not actually using the table, So I asked if they minded if I sat there and they said it was ok. Thank goodness for some shade!

upload_2016-2-24_17-21-1.png
The pretzel and lemonade were pretty good, nothing amazing, but it was much needed food. The lemonade was refreshing, but it was very hard to drink out of a paper straw. I felt a lot better after eating something.

A few minutes after I sat down, the older couple left and a family (parents and 2 adult daughters) came over and asked if they could sit with me. We ended up chatting for a little while. They were shocked to hear that I was at Disney by myself, but that is probably because they thought I was a lot younger than I was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter