WISH'ers walking, running and "other"ing in 2012--General Discussion thread

And as for 2011 goals....still haven't picked out any more specific races. But that's me. I tend to try to do last minute stuff. I have been eyeballing the RnR Savannah half in November, though. Would fit my training plan, and seems like a few WISHers are going. It's an inaugural race---so who knows how well it will be organized--but I have never really been to parts south as a tourist before, so it could be interesting.

There might be a contingent of WISHers running MCM too. Several of us on Team 'Ohana are planning on going assuming Jackie gets the ok to start running again. It wouldn't be the same without her. :)

Hello WISHERS. I will have to go back and read the thread but wanted to get a post in. I did my first post-marathon run today because I promised myself I'd take off 10 days. Man, I was expecting slow but it was very tortoise-like out there. The legs felt good enough but apparently my lungs decided to take a couple of extra days off. I have also been doing leg work at the gym which I don't do much during the racing season so I'm sure that didn't help.

I don't have my 2011 planned out too much yet. I am still hoping to do a tri at some point and I am leaning towards running the Pittsburgh half. My main goal for the year is to run a half marathon in Europe. I am planning a 2 week trip in September with some friends and so far it looks like we'll be in Germany and France. I'd like to do at least one half and then a shorter race in whichever country I don't do the half in but we'll see. Luckily everyone going is a runner to one extent or another.

As much as I enjoyed the Disney full I will be taking at least a couple of years off. I mentioned on another thread that I might aim for the Gasparilla half in Tampa in 2012 and then head over to Disney for a couple of days. The training in December wasn't terrible but since I missed a BQ by 6 minutes I think my next full will be a late October or early November race, probably in 2012. With the trip to Europe I am concentrating on halves this year and that tri (maybe). If the weather isn't too bad for the Savannah race this year I might try to hit that one in 2012.

My running goals for 2011:
Princess 1/2 marathon next month
San Diego Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon at the beginning of June
Seattle Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon at the end of June
Disneyland 1/2 marathon Labor Day weekend

I'm already registed for all of them, so I'm hoping for an injury free year!

Good luck to everyone on their goals this year.
:cool1:

John I'm not sure I could take training for and running a fall marathon. But never say never, I'm scehduled for a 20 miler that weekend (for Goofy prep) so I could just make it a training run (and as I write that I am shaking my head that I could even think it!)

Frank One of these days I am going to meet you But I guess it won't be at Disney! Your Europe trip sounds great--hope you find some interesting races.

Disfan11 Sounds like a great lineup. Hope you stay injury free.

Did one of my harder XT wrokouts today---and don't laugh--- 20 laps of kick board in the pool. The 65+ year old guy in the lane next to me was going faster doing a dog paddle! Makes you appreciate how much of swimming is really in the arms. Also did some fit ball exercises. Still need to work in more weight training though.

Need to go look for some more gear this weekend, I think. On top of something to maybe help with my Camelbak tube (which froze during my run last week), I think I need a balaclava (for the days when it's windy) and some mittens. I'm not a big shopping fan, so hope I can get it done with minimal effort.

Stay warm everyone. The projected temp for my Sunday run is 8 degrees with 10 mph winds for a "real feel" of -4F. Oh joy!

Maura

March 26 - Phillies 5K (mainly to get tix to the game & have fun!)
September 18 - Philly Rock n Roll Half
January 8 & 9 - The Goofy :cool1:

Hopefully a few others in there too, but this is all I have planned out so far.
:dance3:

John I'm not sure I could take training for and running a fall marathon. But never say never, I'm scehduled for a 20 miler that weekend (for Goofy prep) so I could just make it a training run (and as I write that I am shaking my head that I could even think it!)

I know what you mean about fall marathons. Training through Houston's heat & humidity is no fun when it's 7am, 75 degrees, and you've got 18 miles to go. Thankfully, MCM isn't until late October, which certainly helps. I'm also surprised you've got a 20-mile run for Goofy so far in advance. How many peak runs are on your schedule?

Hello WISHers! I enjoyed reading all the posts.

Unlike many of you with ambitious plans for the year, my only goal is to train for Goofy 2012. I have completed 4 Disney races ranging from 5K to marathon, but this will be my first Goofy.

For medical reasons, I had to take the last month off from running. I'm feeling much better and got my first run of the year in this morning...a very, very slow 6 miles. I'm hoping I can get back into some sort of routine and maintain some consistency in my training. I look forward to completing this journey with you...

John My training plan has 5 20-milers, the first one starting 4 weeks in. I used this plan (from Run Less, Run Faster) to do my last marathon. I was daunted at the prospect--especially since I started training for it in June--but I managed to do it and enter the race feeling pretty good. So I'm sticking with it again for Boston.

As a matter of fact, my first 20-miler for my current training is today....and it is currently a balmy 4 degrees (wind chill of -10F)

Maura:worship:I am impressed you are running 20 miles in subzero wind chills:worship: I guess that dedication is why you are running Boston.

Shannon You cannot be not ambitious and running Goofy at the same time.

Mike

Maura:worship:I am impressed you are running 20 miles in subzero wind chills:worship: I guess that dedication is why you are running Boston.

Shannon You cannot be not ambitious and running Goofy at the same time.

Mike

Some people might say hanging out with a bunch of Princesses next month is ambitious, too. ;) princess:

Subscribing so I don't miss out on any of this great info! :goodvibes

Some people might say hanging out with a bunch of Princesses next month is ambitious, too. ;) princess:

Subscribing so I don't miss out on any of this great info! :goodvibes
:rotfl: Mike told me about this comment and I had to come see who made it!

Hello WISHERS. but since I missed a BQ by 6 minutes I think my next full will be a late October or early November race, probably in 2012.

Since you live up the street in Cleveland, I thought that I would mention that my hubby loves Columbus for BQ. He's gotten most of his BQs at that race. It's flat and fast- two essential elements for a BQ.

Well, the 20 is in the books. Went reasonably okay--sorta slow. I guess extreme cold is just as funky as running in extreme heat. Felt like I was molasses. Water froze again--no surprise. I ended up taking one of my bottles and shoving it down the front of my shirt. By the end of the run I was able to open it and get some non-frozen droplets out!

So now it's off to rest and have a nice cup of tea. And, of course, football.

Maura

DH and I finally went to a running shop today and got new (appropriate) shoes! We have both always just went to a store in the mall and bought Nike's (usually Shox). The first thing the woman in the running shop told us was that running in Shox was bad!

DH has really wide feel with high arches...so has never been able to find comfortable shoes that fit right. He has always sized up to compensate for the width of his feet. He ended up getting Asics 2150's in sz 9 with a 4E width!!! and some arch inserts! And I got some Mizuno Wave Rider 14's in narrow width.

So excited to actually run in shoes that feel good! :banana:

Since you live up the street in Cleveland, I thought that I would mention that my hubby loves Columbus for BQ. He's gotten most of his BQs at that race. It's flat and fast- two essential elements for a BQ.

I did the half in 2008 and it was my PR at the time. It is on the list of possibilities for my next attempt at a full.

I wanted to join! :flower3:
The Disney 1/2 marathon was my 1st race ever. It was an incredible experience and has really inspired me to make running a bigger part of my life. I really owe a big thanks to all the DISers (and WISHers!) who inspired me and gave advice during the past year as I started this whole process. I realized that I had underestimated myself and want to try to increase my speed and my distance.
I signed up for another 1/2 marathon in NYC in April. And I really, really want to try to run the full next January.

Amanda

PS Tracy, I'm the crazy person who said hello to you during the half marathon. Thanks again for my name tag! And good luck with your surgery. Hopefully I'll see you at the full next year.

Maura - you are a very dedicated lady! WTG! :cheer2: I raise my cup of cocoa to you! Hope you've warmed up again :) I'm in awe you went out in our temps today.

Amanda - Congrats on your 1st Half!!!! :cheer2:

Colleen - although I have no plans (you'll notice I didn't say the big "N" word) to ever (there is no N in front of that word! LOL I will not jinx myself) BQ it's good to know Columbus is so flat and fast. I definitely like the word "flat" :thumbsup2 Since it's so close I will have to add it to my someday list. :)

Working my on 2011 list of races. I took last week off from training since I figured my return to work could be crazy enough. The plan is to return to the gym this week and unless the temps climb above the mid-20 it will be the TM.

Have a great week everyone!!!

Maura - Someone I work with is training for Boston also. I give you lots of credit for being able to train in this weather.

Sounds like everyone is going to be pretty busy this year. Here's what we have for sure:
Disney's Princess 1/2
Martian 1/2 Marathon (Dearborn, MI)
Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon
Buffalo 1/2 Marathon
Providence Rock n Roll 1/2
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon

That takes us to September. After that the possibilities are:
Hershey 1/2 Marathon
Rock n Roll St. Louis
Rock n Roll San Antonio
Rock n Roll Las Vegas

Phew. That's a lot of miles, travel, and money. Good thing I have a wonderful husband!

Can't wait to see what everyone else is planning on.

Susan

Hi all! Just getting in some slow movements these days. Getting ready to get some foot distance in and since things are snow covered around these parts, guess it will be dreadmill time. Oh joy.

Hope all are getting in some steps.

Maura, I know you are spot on with your training and I am excited for your Boston event.

Hi all,

Training has slipped a notch due to the death of my M-I-L this past week. A quick trip to Pittsburgh, a brewing cold and the tax training I completed this morning have me behind.

Doing a LR tomorrow---before the storm that's brewing, but unfortunately no sunshine and colder temps.

Amanda Aahh...you've caught the bug! Sounds like we'll see you at the full next year. Hope your training for your upcoming race goes well.

Diane Did you get out at all last week? We had a "mild" day or two...almost 30 one day, I think.

Susan Great list of races. I need to do a 1/2 the weekend of Martian, but if I decide to race, I may look for something farther afield.

Lily Looks like we better brace ourselves for this incoming storm. I am getting no sympathy from my family. They are in the Boston area and are just being relentlesly hammered. Latest forecast show them getting 15-20"!

Stay warm and well everyone.

Maura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter