WISH Away the Pounds -- Jolly June AND JULY Challenge -- Everyone Welcome!

Good morning all! I am here as your substitute coach while Lisa tends to her Mom. I'm sure we are all wishing her love and speedy healing for Mom!

QOTD for Thursday, June 6, 2013:

THIRSTY THURSDAY! Do you get your 6-8 glasses of water every day? Do you think it is important? Do you see a difference in your weight/weight loss when you do drink plenty of water? If you don't drink water, what do you drink? Is this easy for you or do you struggle with staying properly hydrated? OR.... do you think this is all a bunch of HOOIEY? ...............P

Well hello everyone. Haven't had time to read the posts yet, but I'm going home today, so will have a good read tomorrow.
Just wanted to let you all know that I've done really well with food choices, and in terms of exercise I have walked/jogged a total of 29.16 miles in 6 days. Will see what the scales say tomorrow!!!
Looking forward to coaching this coming week.

WONDERFUL job with all of that exercise! I'm really impressed! And good food choices too! I am hopeful that tomorrow's scale reading will be wonderful for you!!

Sorry everyone that I have been so absent!!! Work is horrible right now - and I am going to be away this weekend!

:welcome: to all the newcomers, I did get quite a few PMs from new people! I will try to add everyone to the first page tonight, just in time for the first weigh in tomorrow!!!

NO WORRIES! We are all good and I'm sure any newbies will understand! Life can definitely get in the way! Take care of yourself, find a way to deal with work, and hopefully enjoy your weekend away!

Buffy, I had the same issue after my first ever Jillian Michael workout. I was sore for days... But at that time I had not started, just tried it out with the free youtube video and then was away for the weekend. I think that this was good as it let me heal. And the soreness never came back after I started for real. So, maybe just give yourself a rest and then start fresh!

And I thought, I throw in a QOTD:

Here it seems that summer is finally starting. Is there anything about summer which you think can help your weight loss?

Being outside, enjoying the lovely weather, yard work that doesn't feel like exercise, running/walking whenever the weather calls to me, and plenty of fresh, in-season fruits and veggies.... they ALL help with weight loss! Well, that and having to wear a swimsuit in public occasionally too!:lmao:

I think Jillian Michaels is out to kill me!! She's a big meanie head!!

I got one day into 30 day shred yesterday. I could not do it today because DS16 was in his room and that's the only place big enough to do the video. But, I don't think I could have managed even if I tried. My lats, abs, and the fronts of my thighs hurt so bad I can't take a deep breath or climb stairs well. DD tried to plop into my lap to sit with me and I about came out of the chair.

I hope to squeeze in enough time so she can beat me again tomorrow. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

I've gotta find that my old post from the first time I did the JM 30DS and share it again here. You will definitely see that you are NOT alone in feeling like that after a date with Jillian!

Well.... happy Thursday everyone! So.... what do you do when you are officially DONE with high school and it is your first day of summer vacation? Sleep late? Make a breakfast date with friends? Clean your room? NOPE! You get up, get dressed, make your Mom pack you a lunch and head to.... SCHOOL... to help your favorite science teachers clean up the lab stations and get them ready for next year!!:rotfl: Yup.... that is where DD is right now. Crazy, right? But she felt like it was something she wanted to help with, she really likes these science teachers and has become very close to them over the past two years and since she was technically a chemistry student aide, she felt like it was her responsibility to help with this for the remainder of the year. oh well. Wish she felt to compelled to clean up around the house!!;)

That being said, she drove herself and her brother, so I was able to pop on here a little earlier than usual, which means I will hopefully get a bit more done around here today!

No much in the house to have for breakfast today, so it looks like a grilled Sandwich Thin with some cashew butter. I am trying to NOT refill the fridge too much as the new fridge is being delivered Tuesday!!!:banana: Now I need to order a new stove and all of my kitchen appliances will be stainless and matching! (Although I still haven't bought a new toaster oven to replace the one that died a few weeks ago.... I must admit I LIKE having that big open empty space on the kitchen counter.)

Off to check on FB and email and get a time sheet submitted for WW. I can see that that is one of those things that I am going to have to really work at keeping up with!!

I'll pop on after I check those things to see who has been around!.............P

Quiet here! Hope everyone is well! I'm off to the weeding and mulching! BBL to chat...................P

Good morning everyone!
THIRSTY THURSDAY! Do you get your 6-8 glasses of water every day? Do you think it is important?

QOD: I love water and I drink a ton of it. I think growing up in Central Florida helped, you just get used to drinking water (even the chewy kind) when you’re young. I know that being thirsty can cause cravings for things like cereal... and I'm famous for late night bowls of cereal, so yeah drinking water is important for me.

Got a dilemma I could use some advice on:
I’m the kind of girl who if she has one piece of bread will need to follow it with 3 more pieces, a bowl of pasta, a soda, and then a few brownies afterward. So I decided to cut back on those triggering empty carbs. Yesterday went great! :)I did an hour of high intensity yoga, met my calorie goal, got my 5 vegetable servings in, and didn’t feel guilty about anything ‘bad’ I ate.

Today is my going away party at my job. We were going to go out to lunch to a local buffet. I expected to have a salad, with a lean protein and veggies. Instead they decided to throw a ‘make your own sub’ potluck with chips and cake. I can already hear Admiral Ackbar screaming ‘It’s a trap!’

Should I:

Try to make some sort of salad from the sub fixing, skipping the bread, chips, and my going away cake.

Or

Recognize that life happens, and take reasonable portions of regular food.

:confused3

Hi Raya,
personally, I would eat the food provided. Would load more veggies on my sandwhich, skip the chips, but eat the cake. So kind of a compromise between the two versions you posted.

THIRSTY THURSDAY! Do you get your 6-8 glasses of water every day? Do you think it is important? Do you see a difference in your weight/weight loss when you do drink plenty of water? If you don't drink water, what do you drink? Is this easy for you or do you struggle with staying properly hydrated? OR.... do you think this is all a bunch of HOOIEY? ...............P

I drink about a gallon of water / crystal light every day. It helps because it keeps me from drinking things that have calories - like soda or sweet tea. But I am no less hungry for drinking more liquids.

My choice of foods is the only thing that helps me eat less. The more protein in my diet, the more filling it is and the longer I feel satisfied before feeling hungry again. So I eat a lot of boiled eggs, tuna and chicken and limit my carbs.

I think Jillian Michaels is out to kill me!! She's a big meanie head!!

I got one day into 30 day shred yesterday. I could not do it today because DS16 was in his room and that's the only place big enough to do the video. But, I don't think I could have managed even if I tried. My lats, abs, and the fronts of my thighs hurt so bad I can't take a deep breath or climb stairs well. DD tried to plop into my lap to sit with me and I about came out of the chair.

I hope to squeeze in enough time so she can beat me again tomorrow. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

I had the same screaming moment when I had shin splints and my son jumped on my legs in the bed. They felt broken.

You can do it. Your jumping hacks might not be perfect and you may need to breathe a bit more but eventually day 1 will seem easy.

Ana

And I thought, I throw in a QOTD:

Here it seems that summer is finally starting. Is there anything about summer which you think can help your weight loss?

I know the sunshine helps me because I live in Seattle so it doesn't get too hot here. Everyone is kayaking, running, walking, cycling. I feel like a bum when I do nothing.

Plus I won't want to make stews and soups as much.

Yay for summer. Plus my kids are way more active in the summer so it helps me to get out and enjoy all the beauty of our area without packing a rain jacket and three umbrellas.

Bring in the hiking!!!

Sorry for the multiple posts! I can't do multiple quotes on my phone.

And as far as water I seem to drink about 5 glasses a day. But some days I drink about 16. When I am home I drink a ton since the filter is built in and right there.

Ana

Raya- enjoy your day. Just be reasonable.
You only have so many special days, but 350 or so other days to work hard towards your intentions.

Ana

Good morning all! I am here as your substitute coach while Lisa tends to her Mom. I'm sure we are all wishing her love and speedy healing for Mom!

I don't love water but I make sure Mon - Fri I drink my jug I bring to work filled with ice water from home (I have well water at home and city :crazy2: water at work) and I know that helps me stay on track but man do I struggle at home on the weekend.. I get about 5-6 in plus coffee (which doesn't really count) so I am working on it..

Good morning everyone!

QOD: I love water and I drink a ton of it. I think growing up in Central Florida helped, you just get used to drinking water (even the chewy kind) when you’re young. I know that being thirsty can cause cravings for things like cereal... and I'm famous for late night bowls of cereal, so yeah drinking water is important for me.

Got a dilemma I could use some advice on:
I’m the kind of girl who if she has one piece of bread will need to follow it with 3 more pieces, a bowl of pasta, a soda, and then a few brownies afterward. So I decided to cut back on those triggering empty carbs. Yesterday went great! :)I did an hour of high intensity yoga, met my calorie goal, got my 5 vegetable servings in, and didn’t feel guilty about anything ‘bad’ I ate.

Today is my going away party at my job. We were going to go out to lunch to a local buffet. I expected to have a salad, with a lean protein and veggies. Instead they decided to throw a ‘make your own sub’ potluck with chips and cake. I can already hear Admiral Ackbar screaming ‘It’s a trap!’

Should I:

Try to make some sort of salad from the sub fixing, skipping the bread, chips, and my going away cake.

Or

Recognize that life happens, and take reasonable portions of regular food.

:confused3

Hi Raya, I would make the salad out of the sub stuff - meat and cheese cut up with all the veggies and I would have a piece of cake - skip the bread and chips those are not too special.. but your cake is.. Enjoy your party and don't feel badly about whatever you make for choices it'll all be ok..

I swear, sometimes the universe is just conspiring against me! I finally get outside to weed (after breaking a vase while getting dishwasher detergent out from under the kitchen sink... which meant spending about 30 minutes cleaning up the glass and wiping under the sink) and suddenly the weeds I notice look a lot like POISON IVY! Time to pull out the weed killer.... AFTER I go inside and wash up, just in case I've touched it. Then I spray the weed killer and have to go inside and wash up again, to make sure I don't have weed killer on me! And of course, stupidly, I"ve been walking around the yard barefoot (notice my tag) and now have a pricker in my foot, so I need to pull that out and put on my gardening Crocs. I feel like this day is getting old and I haven't gotten much accomplished yet!!!

Time to get back to the weeds!..................P

Weigh in Day!!!

Hello everyone, I hope you had a great first week of June!

Tomorrow will be our first weigh in day. So please remember to step on the scale and send me your results. You only need to send your current weight.

It would be very helpful if you could put your result directly in the subject line like this: "Weigh In 6/7 212" - makes it much easier for me to update the spreadsheet and get the results posted!

I will try to update the first page on Sunday for the first time and then again Monday - evening my time, i.e. around 4pm EST. So, if you forget to step on the scale tomorrow, you still have the rest of the weekend and even Monday morning to report a weight for the first week!

I am looking forward to getting lots of PMs and wish all of you a friendly scale tomorrow!!!

I had the same screaming moment when I had shin splints and my son jumped on my legs in the bed. They felt broken.

You can do it. Your jumping hacks might not be perfect and you may need to breathe a bit more but eventually day 1 will seem easy.

Ana

I did ok, I only had to stop once towards the end.
Today was a little better, until I put on heels. LOL

My food today was through the roof. We had a big breakfast out because we were setting up for the dinner/dance tonight. I didn't think I would be home for lunch but I ended up eating some chicken salad from Trader Joes. Then we rushed to DS16's banquet for Track, had some not very good chicken parmesan, pasta, salad and green beans. Oh and cake. I only ate the chicken, the tomatoes were hard and the pasta sauce was really acidic. Then we rushed back to the dinner/dance for the 8th graders. They had lasagna and cake but I ate a little lasagna when I got home, but no cake there.
But me and another chaperone danced a bunch with the kids and it was hot so hopefully I burned some of the damage off. And we decorated the gym so up and down the ladder burned some off too.

Tomorrow I have to go to Mass because DD is doing a reading. I don't go to church because we are not Catholic but I promised DD I'd be there. Then we have a 1/2 day, then I have to be back at 7:45 to cut the cake for the graduates. Hopefully I can squeeze Jillian in there at some point during the day.

QOTD for Friday, June 7, 2013:

On another thread here as well as at WW this week, we've been talking BREAKFAST! Do you eat breakfast every day? Do you think that is important to eat breakfast? What do you have for breakfast? If you don't eat breakfast, why not?

On my way out to school. BBL to chat!.....................P

I did ok, I only had to stop once towards the end.
Today was a little better, until I put on heels. LOL

My food today was through the roof. We had a big breakfast out because we were setting up for the dinner/dance tonight. I didn't think I would be home for lunch but I ended up eating some chicken salad from Trader Joes. Then we rushed to DS16's banquet for Track, had some not very good chicken parmesan, pasta, salad and green beans. Oh and cake. I only ate the chicken, the tomatoes were hard and the pasta sauce was really acidic. Then we rushed back to the dinner/dance for the 8th graders. They had lasagna and cake but I ate a little lasagna when I got home, but no cake there.
But me and another chaperone danced a bunch with the kids and it was hot so hopefully I burned some of the damage off. And we decorated the gym so up and down the ladder burned some off too.

Tomorrow I have to go to Mass because DD is doing a reading. I don't go to church because we are not Catholic but I promised DD I'd be there. Then we have a 1/2 day, then I have to be back at 7:45 to cut the cake for the graduates. Hopefully I can squeeze Jillian in there at some point during the day.

YIKES! You are so busy! Good luck with everything for today. Jillian will still be waiting when you have time!:thumbsup2

Happy FRIDAY all! Scale was reasonably kind to me yesterday and today (took a sneak peek yesterday), so just 1 lb. left to lose all of my vacation weight... and one week until DD's graduation and the new dress!

Awards night last night was nice but SO LOOOOOONG! Some of the scholarship presenters were SO LONG WINDED! I KNOW that the scholarships that are "memorial" are about remembering the person who they are in memorial of, but WOW! I don't really think we need to hear this young man's entire life story to appreciate the person he was or the generosity of the scholarship!

Disappointing that DD did not receive a SINGLE scholarship! She wrote so many essays and filled out so many forms. The same 4-5 kids seemed to get the majority of the scholarships. Not sour grapes, really. I know that each scholarship committee doesn't necessarily know what any other scholarship committee is doing.... so you couldn't really ask them to "spread the wealth". And it seemed to have nothing to do with GPA or class rank. Many of the BRIGHTEST kids of the class of '13 did NOT get scholarships. Wish I knew exactly what the committees were looking at/for so I could make sure that DS stands a better chance in the future.

Not so disappointing were the awards that my kids won! DS got the gym award. He isn't thrilled by it (was hoping for an engineering award), but I am happy for him and I kept reminding him that his "oh-so-bright" sister didn't get ANY awards Freshman year, so he is ahead of her in that regard! And some of his really superbright friends were not there for any kind of award, so he can appreciate that!

DD got an award for Microsoft Office (which she thought was a bit of a joke)... and then was afraid that was it for the night. But lo and behold.... she got the HIGHEST SCIENCE AWARD of the YEAR.... beating out the kid who is attending MIT this fall (he got the highest MATH award of the year). :cheer2: She really wanted this award, but kept reminding herself about some of the other super smart, super hard-working kids in her science classes and was CONVINCED that it was going to someone else. Along with the big science award and the Microsoft award she also got an award for Environmental Studies, AP Biology, Marine Science, and Applied Physics (they were all awarded at once with the big award).

So thanks for listening to my PROUD MOMMMA bragging! I have the BEST kids (now if they would only clean their rooms!:lmao: ).

I hear the students out in the hall. This should be a challenging day.... end of the school year, Friday, and it is raining, so no outside recess this morning or at noon! :crazy2: Thankfully this is one of the BETTER classes that I've been in.

They have Art later this morning, so I will pop on then to see how everyone is doing and to answer my own QOTD!...............P

On another thread here as well as at WW this week, we've been talking BREAKFAST! Do you eat breakfast every day? Do you think that is important to eat breakfast? What do you have for breakfast? If you don't eat breakfast, why not?

Breakfast is so hard for me!:guilty: I didn't eat it for years growing up and I'm still not into it. I don't like eggs. I can stand to have them maybe twice a week, and only scrambled. When you don't eat eggs there aren't a lot of healthy low carb choices. I've been known to grab a protein shake, but I don't like to eat a lot of 'fake food'. So really, I need all your great breakfast ideas!

I forgot to get on the scale this morning. I figure since I just joined up on Wednesday it probably wouldn't have changed much. :p But I'll climb on tomorrow!

Also, thanks to everyone for your advice yesterday. I ate smaller than usual portions of everything, but (like always) one carb lead to another and I ended up having pizza for dinner last night. Thankfully I added a salad to it, so at least I got some veggies in for the day. baby steps, right?

Breakfast is so hard for me!:guilty: I didn't eat it for years growing up and I'm still not into it. I don't like eggs. I can stand to have them maybe twice a week, and only scrambled. When you don't eat eggs there aren't a lot of healthy low carb choices.

Thankfully I added a salad to it, so at least I got some veggies in for the day. baby steps, right?

I only like eating eggs about once every four months. Either hard boiled or over medium so I can dip my toast in the yoke. I was just looking up low carb meals, scrambled egg whites, omelettes.... I kind of shudder. You know with the amount of things I dislike I should really be smaller. Eggs, cheese, mayonnaise, alcohol- these are all things I rather starve than consume.

I love breakfast - it is just all the stuff keeping my weight from going down. All the carbs. The CARBS. I tell you are evil. And they come in so many delicious forms. I know gluten is like poison for my body along with practically everything else I eat.

Like you said baby steps!

Ana

I am great about getting my water in during the week, at work. I bring two liters of seltzer with me and I usually finish it all by the end of the day. I think it is important to stay hydrated, but I don't see any point in forcing gallons of water every day. I like to have water (or seltzer or tea) to sip on throughout the day and I usually try to bump up my intake the day before weigh-in and when I've had salty foods.

I do believe there are plenty of people who walk around on a daily basis who are basically dehydrated (my Mom is a HUGE example of this). That is not healthy. Considering how much of our body depends on WATER to function (brain, heart,digestive/waste elimination system, blood system), I think keeping at least a moderate level of hydration is important.

I love breakfast foods! I would eat breakfast 3 times a day if I could! I like eggs (well, really egg whites), steel cut oats, carbs (bagels, toast, english muffins), fruit, yogurt.... all of the typical breakfast foods! I DO eat breakfast EVERY DAY! I am hungry in the morning! I can't imagine going until noon without eating! I make SURE I have time for breakfast every day, even if it means taking it in the car! There are conflicting reports about whether your body needs breakfast to get your metabolism working in the morning, but most research DOES agree that breakfast eaters end up eating LESS calories over the course of the day!:thumbsup2

I have lots of different things for breakfast.... my most common are things like egg white omelets or wraps (with cheese and veggies), steel cut oats (crockpot overnight!), and low carb toast with nut butter. I also occasionally nonfat greek yogurt with fruit, cottage cheese, or even a turkey sandwich!

One of my favorite breakfasts is the "change-it-up breakfast bowls" that I sort of create on a daily basis (recipe over on the recipe thread if you are interested!). It contains lots of different things (eggs, tofu, cheese, veggies, potatoes) and can work well to use up leftovers AND to be sure I get in a serving of veggies first thing in the morning!

Class is off to art! It was a rough start this morning.... hopefully things will go better later! The rain will keep them indoors for recess, which may mean our afternoon is a bit crazy.

Well... not much more to share! I've got to run to the potty while I have the chance, since I don't get another break until about 12:30.

TTYL................P

I work out every day, so I need to fuel my body afterward. That means that I have a light breakfast every day - generally a peanut butter zone bar and a banana with a very large glass of water.

Breakfast is so hard for me!:guilty: I didn't eat it for years growing up and I'm still not into it. I don't like eggs. I can stand to have them maybe twice a week, and only scrambled. When you don't eat eggs there aren't a lot of healthy low carb choices. I've been known to grab a protein shake, but I don't like to eat a lot of 'fake food'. So really, I need all your great breakfast ideas!

I forgot to get on the scale this morning. I figure since I just joined up on Wednesday it probably wouldn't have changed much. :p But I'll climb on tomorrow!

Also, thanks to everyone for your advice yesterday. I ate smaller than usual portions of everything, but (like always) one carb lead to another and I ended up having pizza for dinner last night. Thankfully I added a salad to it, so at least I got some veggies in for the day. baby steps, right?

No reason you can't eat other foods at breakfast time! Yogurt is fairly low carb, as is cottage cheese.... and I am certainly not above eating dinner leftover at breakfast time! Turkey and cheese, leftover veggies (I had roasted parsnips yesterday!), meatloaf, tofu. Check out my recipe over on the recipe thread. I have a few low carb recipes and my breakfast bowl recipe can definitely be made low carb.

Post #127 is the breakfast bowl recipe. Post #133 has a low carb muffin recipe (and it can be made lighter by using less oil.... 1 tsp. works, and by using egg whites instead of a whole egg).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447512&page=9

I only like eating eggs about once every four months. Either hard boiled or over medium so I can dip my toast in the yoke. I was just looking up low carb meals, scrambled egg whites, omelettes.... I kind of shudder. You know with the amount of things I dislike I should really be smaller. Eggs, cheese, mayonnaise, alcohol- these are all things I rather starve than consume.

I love breakfast - it is just all the stuff keeping my weight from going down. All the carbs. The CARBS. I tell you are evil. And they come in so many delicious forms. I know gluten is like poison for my body along with practically everything else I eat.

Like you said baby steps!

Ana

You definitely need to start embracing the idea of non-traditional breakfast foods in the morning! Especially if you don't eat eggs or cheese.

I work out every day, so I need to fuel my body afterward. That means that I have a light breakfast every day - generally a peanut butter zone bar and a banana with a very large glass of water.

I've never tried a Zone bar. How are they? What kind of calories do they have? I love Larabars, but they have too many calories to enjoy them every often!

Okay.... rainy recess= class inside for recess= I am listening to recess shenanigans all around me right now!! :lmao:

I'm thinking of taking DS out for a special dinner to celebrate his award last night (DD is away on her Senior trip/harbor cruise tonight). I know he would love it if I would offer Five Guys (burgers and fries:eek: ), but I'd like something where I could eat more healthy.. but I'll leave it up to him. I know I can get a veggie sandwich at 5 Guys, but hard to resist those fries!! I've been known to bring in my own salad from another restaurant to eat while the kids enjoy their burgers and fries! :thumbsup2 This all might depend on DH's availability. If he is coming we will definitely SKIP Five Guys.... very hard to eat low carb there. Guess we'll wait and see what the schedule turns out to be.

I can't really afford for today to be my "splurge" day, as I am attending a wedding on Sunday and of course, have no idea what the food situation will be there.

Okay.... off to use the potty while I am still officially on my break!........P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts