WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 challenge--Everyone Welcome!

Happy Wednesday! Rose has asked me to step up a day early as coach, so here I am!

QOTD for Wednesday, January 9, 2013:

Do you track your food? Why/why not? If you do, what is your method? Paper and pen, MFP, digital? If you don't, do you think you should? If you do, do you foresee doing it long term or just for a little while?

BB in a bit! ..............P

pjlla said:
Happy Wednesday! Rose has asked me to step up a day early as coach, so here I am!

Do you track your food? Why/why not? If you do, what is your method? Paper and pen, MFP, digital? If you don't, do you think you should? If you do, do you foresee doing it long term or just for a little while?

I dont, maybe i should? !

Good morning losers!

Had a few min before work so figured I'd pop in and try to get more involved. I do track my food, and have for the past week. Last year, I'd start tracking again, and didn't stick with it for more than a day or two. I know it is a key element for me to lose the weight, and I plan to do it long term. I'm going to ww meetings and my meeting is tonight. I'm excited for it. I am using the paper trackers I get at the meetings, though I do the monthly pass and have access to etooles, but am not on the computer much during the day, so it's easier for me to write it.

I had a good week, and my worst day, I ate 3 of the raspberry chocolate ww bars, but wrote each one down as I did it, and that was that. I had the points. I know if I'm not writing things down, I eat way more. And it's not like anyone but me sees what I"m writing, but I guess I don't want to see proof that I've eaten a big bag of chips, or 3 bowls of ice cream.

It feels good to feel in control again, and I am feeling pumped to lose this weight once and for all. I"ll be 49 next month, so I'm going to end my fat forties, and enter the fit fifties next year.

Thank you for coaching last week, Rose. Have a magical trip!!

Thank you Pamela for coaching this week.

Have a great day everyone!!

Best of luck to all the runners this weekend! I'll be with you in spirit! Can't wait to read all your stories!!!

I've been pretty diligent since November with counting everything that goes in my mouth. I use MFP because it is so easy to use and plus I just love that I can barcode scan stuff in. I definitely can see me keeping it up. I usually know in advance what I"m going to eat throughout the day and I key it all in at one time. That also keeps me honest and I tend to stay away from mindless snacking since I have not entered it in MFP!

If anyone wants to add me as a friend there, I'm geauxgirl42

pjlla said:

I use MFP, it's so easy to use! I just wish it was more generous with the calories :) I tend to go over most days. I'm still trying to figure out how to eat only 1200 calories a day and NOT be starving!

Good luck to all the runners this weekend !!!!
~melinda

Well, it was directly after a 3 pund gain since starting, so it is one pound down only. Still happy with that though! :goodvibes

Down a pound is still great!

QOTD: I am proud that I lost 6lbs last week and that I am still here! I joined another weight loss thread a few weeks ago but got disappointed when I realized my scale was broken and I actually weighed more than I thought so I gave up. But i went out and bought a new scale and joined here. Funny thing is that the amount I was off was the amount that I lost last week, ill take that as a sign I'm in the right place lol.

You are right! It was a sign from above!

I have struggled with not eating enough calories. I usually have around 200-400 left after dinner but I don't know what to eat. I don't want to eat things that aren't good for me just to fill up my calories and I don't want to eat larger quantities when I am already full. Guess I have to put more thought into my meals. I am also procrastinating on exercising. I feel so tired all the time for the past couple of months. But I am hopeful that exercising will help give me more energy!!!

Positive: my husband is impressed with how great I've been doing and wants to join me!!! So much easier when there is someone at home supporting you.

I agree.... support is crucial! and exercise will help with the energy level.

If you need a healthy higher calorie snack, try eating nuts or nut butters. It will be easy to get in those calories!

Another marathon week-end person running through and waving! :wave2:

I am reading along and inspired by all of you. Congrats to the losers and hang in there to anyone who didn't like the number on the scale. :flower3:

I'll try to post a picture or two of the WISH festivities if I can figure out how to do that from my phone. :goodvibes

Best of luck!!! You are gonna rock the run! Can't wait to see pictures!!

And I realize that I forgot to post something positive when I answered the QOTD earlier, so I will add it now.

I am so proud of myself as I just got back from a 40 minute run in the rain! I was so bummed when I got off work and realized it was raining as I really had planned on a run today. And then I was inspired by all the people in this thread who managed to get their exercise in despite set backs that I decided to just try how far I would get running in the rain. I run 10 minute rounds around the streets at home if I have to run in the dark and so could have easily stopped earlier. But I complete the planned four rounds. Got really wet but thanks to the modern running gear it did keep me nice and warm.

Hope my story can help and inspire someone else to go out there as well!

Thanks to everyone who inspired me!!! :thumbsup2

Running in the rain is WONDERFUL! I am so impressed that you completed your total planned run!

I am most proud of myself for actually stepping up to do this challenge, and the fact that I am really trying my best to follow through on this. I have struggled with wanting everything that is bad for me. We live with my in-laws and they, as well as my DH, can eat whatever they want. It is hard when they are eating ice cream and you are sitting there eating grapes.

Something positive is that last night they ordered pizza for dinner, and my DH who is a wonderful support texted me and gave me a heads up. When I got home I took my WW calculator to the freezer with me and decided on some frozen corn dogs that were super yummy!

Nice of DH to give you a heads up and glad you were able to find something else yummy but OP.

I'm in a similar boat - it's so frustrating, isn't it?! I've gotten more strict about my eating the past few weeks, but zero weight loss. I have been counting calories, so maybe it's muscle, maybe I went too low on calories, who knows. I am trying not to worry about it until I get back from the marathon/vacation.

I am most proud this week that I have stayed within my calorie goals every day. I have struggled with accepting my current weight as far as my appearance goes. I don't like the way I look in photos unless I'm at my goal weight - which is kind of silly since I'm only about 6-7 pounds above my goal.

Something positive - I realized that part of why I felt so frumpy in holiday photos is because my bras are shot - I bought some new ones yesterday. Yay!

Get those girls into a new holder! :rotfl: I saw a photo of myself in a kayak wearing a very unsupportive swim suit this past summer and it was :scared1: I need to get some REAL bras sewn into my suits! Things are heading too far south for comfort! Where did you find new bras? I stick with VS.... pricey but good fit.

My positive for the day:
I haven't killed my husband yet. But the night is young, I might need some DIS bail money.

Back, to cleaning my disaster area I like to call a bedroom. Carry on!

Oh my! So sorry things aren't going well. I have days like that as well. Those are the days that I am grateful that I need to be away from home as much as I am!!:rotfl: :hug: to you!

Thank you so much to Pamela for taking over a day early for me! You all deserve to have a coach with her head in the game, and I am a little distracted!;)

I love reading everyone's positives for the day and I hope you will keep doing that for the month of January. :)

I am excited, nervous, terrified, etc. If you can think of an emotion I have probably been through it this week. I keep thinking--26 miles is a really, really, long way.:rotfl:

I hope everyone has a great week. I will be back sometime mid week next week. My pm box is pretty empty so there should be no problems with sending in weight updates this week.

Have a super week! Good luck to everyone who is running this weekend!

Have a wonderful, fun, exciting, successful run!! And that "successful" can be WHATEVER you deem it to be.... a best time or just completing! We will miss you!

Good luck to anyone running this weekend.

One of my students told me he is going to DW this weekend because his mom is running in thehalf. He told me about a year and a half ago she had a heart transplant. I told him he better cheer pretty hard for her.

Can't beat that for motivation!

Mary•Poppins;47128014 said:
I am proud of the fact I am back on track again ... with food and exercise. I am struggling with seeing movement on the scale .... I was down 3 pounds and the next day I am up 3 pounds. UGH!

Great job staying OP.

Hey Pam ..... I REALLY enjoyed it. It has been years since I took a class ... and it all comes back. I struggled to switch from song to song since they were all new to me. But the basic moves were all there. I actually found that since I have been running, the cardio. wasn't that hard. Now the strength part was a bit challenging. I am actually thinking of going to the 2 classes a week that work on body shaping and then running the other days.

Sounds like so much fun!R

Hi! I bought the Groupon. I checked the site for you and they are no longer offering it. I bought it at the beginning of December and I had until February to start using it. (It is good until July.) It was a really good deal ... 30 classes for 89.00. I am sorry they are not longer offering it.

Groupons are great, as long as you really use them! We had to throw away TWO for paintball after DS won a season's pass and no longer needed them. They expired before we thought about selling them or giving them away.:(

Hi everyone!

Bananas here, getting ready to go to WDW for marathon weekend! Aaaahhhh! My first ever half, and the butterflies are in full force, but I don't think I can be any more ready than I am. I can't wait!

QOTD: I'm most proud of today's WW weigh-in - my January lifetime weigh-in was within range! December was rough, and I was out of the WW maintenance range and had to pay. That was motivating. This week, I struggled with last-minute meal plan changes that threw me off a bit. Mostly one big Thai food indulgence...and McDonald's tonight. I think it's evening out, but I'd rather stick to my plan!

Positive: I had a somewhat unexpected job interview today for a position at my current employer that went *extremely* well. But I looked at the big picture and decided it would take too much away from my work-life balance, especially time with the girls, and I opted out when it was clear what the job required and that I was going to be a top candidate. Regardless, though, this was very affirming and a huge boost to my job confidence! My jobs have shifted with this employer over the past 11 years, but in a way that hasn't required interviews...this was my first job interview in almost 12 years! :eek:

Okay, back to the piles of laundry, packing, double- and triple-checking my stuff as we get ready to leave crazy early Thursday morning. My DMIL arrives tomorrow to stay with the girls...time to run! Let's rock this thing, runners! :)

XOXO
Liz

Nice job with the interview, even if you decided you didn't want the job.

Best of luck with your RUN! Make us proud.... I'm sure you will. I'm already proud of ALL of our runners!!

I dont, maybe i should? !

Personally, I am a HUGE advocate of tracking foods. Maybe it is something you should think about.

Good morning losers!

Had a few min before work so figured I'd pop in and try to get more involved. I do track my food, and have for the past week. Last year, I'd start tracking again, and didn't stick with it for more than a day or two. I know it is a key element for me to lose the weight, and I plan to do it long term. I'm going to ww meetings and my meeting is tonight. I'm excited for it. I am using the paper trackers I get at the meetings, though I do the monthly pass and have access to etooles, but am not on the computer much during the day, so it's easier for me to write it.

I had a good week, and my worst day, I ate 3 of the raspberry chocolate ww bars, but wrote each one down as I did it, and that was that. I had the points. I know if I'm not writing things down, I eat way more. And it's not like anyone but me sees what I"m writing, but I guess I don't want to see proof that I've eaten a big bag of chips, or 3 bowls of ice cream.

It feels good to feel in control again, and I am feeling pumped to lose this weight once and for all. I"ll be 49 next month, so I'm going to end my fat forties, and enter the fit fifties next year.

Thank you for coaching last week, Rose. Have a magical trip!!

Thank you Pamela for coaching this week.

I love the idea of the "Fit Fifties". I'm heading that way myself! I'll be glad to join you!

Happy to hear you are excited about WW again!

I've been pretty diligent since November with counting everything that goes in my mouth. I use MFP because it is so easy to use and plus I just love that I can barcode scan stuff in. I definitely can see me keeping it up. I usually know in advance what I"m going to eat throughout the day and I key it all in at one time. That also keeps me honest and I tend to stay away from mindless snacking since I have not entered it in MFP!

If anyone wants to add me as a friend there, I'm geauxgirl42

Great that you found a tracking plan that works for you!

I use MFP, it's so easy to use! I just wish it was more generous with the calories :) I tend to go over most days. I'm still trying to figure out how to eat only 1200 calories a day and NOT be starving!

Good luck to all the runners this weekend !!!!
~melinda

The key is VEGETABLES! Lots of volume for little calories!!

Okay friends.... caught up to here! Students are heading in NOW, so I must dash, but I'll be back later when they go to Music! TTYL..............P

GOOD LUCK RUNNERS!!!!!!! I wish I was there too!
Can't wait to hear about everything when you get back

I track with MFP. I stopped tracking and that's how the pounds crept back on.
I don't want to do it long term but I'm probably going to have to. I would think I don't have to be as strict about writing every ounce down as soon as I get a handle on some basic stuff, like 2 packs of oatmeal is 300 calories and 1 container of peaches is 70 calories. Stuff like that will become second nature but I have to be really mindful of the abstract portion sizes like meat, fish, grains, etc. An extra ounce of red meat and an extra tablespoon of rice can really add up if I'm not paying close attention.

I track with MFP. I stopped tracking and that's how the pounds crept back on.
I don't want to do it long term but I'm probably going to have to. I would think I don't have to be as strict about writing every ounce down as soon as I get a handle on some basic stuff, like 2 packs of oatmeal is 300 calories and 1 container of peaches is 70 calories. Stuff like that will become second nature but I have to be really mindful of the abstract portion sizes like meat, fish, grains, etc. An extra ounce of red meat and an extra tablespoon of rice can really add up if I'm not paying close attention.

Glad you were able to find something to work for you.... and good for you for realizing that NOT tracking is where the problem lies.

I agree... over time you can learn to track without having to look up every single thing.... and portion sizes become more natural and realistic. I can eyeball a half cup portion of nonfat yogurt or lowfat cottage cheese pretty well.... and I try not to stress about it because those aren't particularly calorie dense items. But for things like salad dressings and oil, nuts, nut butters, and cheese, I try hard to weigh/measure every time! It is TOO EASY to allow those portions to creep up, bigger and bigger. I still pull out the measureing spoons EVERY TIME I have salad dressing and I pull out my food scale for most other things.... I find it to be more accurate.... measuring cups are too easy to mound up!

I had a request for a topic to lean toward this week while I'm coaching, so I'm going with it! I've got a few funky QOTD and will throw out a BONUS qotd a few times as well, for fun.

I've had a few more calories this morning than I usually do before lunch, but I'm okay with it, as I did my LONGEST run in the past 3 months! A whopping 2.5 miles! :rotfl: I've been doing okay getting back into running short bursts and doing some fast walks and incline, but distance of ANY kind has been on the back burner. It felt POWERFUL to do a teeny-tiny bit of distance again! NOW I remember what I loved about running a few summers ago (when a half marathon was actually within reach)! Hate the running, but LOVE the feeling of power and accomplishment! And my knee felt okay (been feeling "tweaky" lately, so I pulled out my old brace for some stability). Now to find some cash to be able to buy a much-needed pair of new running shoes.

Afternoon/evening dash just got a bit crazier as the carpool to bring DS home after robotics just cancelled. The bit of time I thought I my actually be home to catch up on stuff is gone now. oh well. I can relax when I'm dead, right??? :rotfl2: And of course, being the BEST mother in the world, I offered to make cookies for DD to bring to the swim team pasta supper tonight.... but being the BUSIEST mother (in my house, at least), I didn't have time (unless I wanted to get even LESS sleep last night), so I have to head to the bakery after school to spend my hard-earned money on some cookies. Oh well.... I hate baking anyhow! :rolleyes1

"Mom"..... the toughest job you'll ever love!

Off to check out my scrapping board!..................P

QOTD:

I am tracking - using Sparkpeople. I need something that let's me use metric measurements as well as the ability to enter food. So far I have not found a German equivalent, so I am using the American website with "adjustments". I once looked at MFP and fould it more difficult to adjust to my needs.

My weight loss journey has been ongoing for a few years now, I started with WW but then became to good to "cheat" within that system without going over my points. I find that since I am tracking calories (and keep an eye on distribution on fat, carbs and protein) I am much more accountable to myself and I need that.

I know that if I want to be serious about losing weight I need to track. However, after quite some time tracking I generally know about how much I can eat to stay within certain limits. So I am generally ok to stop tracking if I only want to maintain my weight, I can even lose the odd pound or so. But then social events come around and stress at work, and I know that I am not eating well, so the pounds return. I don't think this is due to the fact that I am not tracking - it is just a return to old bad habits. I have become better over the years to shorten these periods.

So - in the end: tracking is the best tool for weight loss - it is even more important than exercise in my opinion. But in the end I believe I will be able one day to live without constant tracking.

Glad you were able to find something to work for you.... and good for you for realizing that NOT tracking is where the problem lies.

I agree... over time you can learn to track without having to look up every single thing.... and portion sizes become more natural and realistic. I can eyeball a half cup portion of nonfat yogurt or lowfat cottage cheese pretty well.... and I try not to stress about it because those aren't particularly calorie dense items. But for things like salad dressings and oil, nuts, nut butters, and cheese, I try hard to weigh/measure every time! It is TOO EASY to allow those portions to creep up, bigger and bigger. I still pull out the measureing spoons EVERY TIME I have salad dressing and I pull out my food scale for most other things.... I find it to be more accurate.... measuring cups are too easy to mound up!

Oh yes, that's part of tracking for me as well: I try to weigh everything I put into my mouth at home - obviously can't when I am eating out. It has taught me very much about portion sizes and I find myself content with portions that I thought were laughable a few years ago.

QOTD January 7, 2013

Do you snack or are you a strict 3 meals a day kind of person while working on your goals? What is your healthy go to snack?

And...Say something positive. :)

I do snack between meals. I have a very early lunch at work so by 3 pm I am so hungry. I try to grab something healthy to hold me over until dinner. Dinner is my last food of the day. I'm not a night snacker (like DH).

Positive~Since I couldn't make it to the gym, I took the dog for a walk to get any exercise I could.

Whew! I really need to keep up to date with the thread more frequently!

What part of Pittsburgh are you from? I am from western PA, too. We live right on the Ohio border closest to Youngstown, OH.

QOTD Tuesday, January 8, 2013
One week down! What are you most proud of? What have you struggled with?

And...say something positive. :)

I am most proud of not GAINING weight over the holidays. I hate to admit there may have been a few Christmas cookie episodes :lmao: I am struggling getting back into the exercise routine. Being sick for a week really wiped me out & I really enjoyed my time with DH and my boys. It's hard to leave to go to the gym sometimes when they are having a good time at home & I want to join in.

Positive~I went back to the gym for the 1st time in 3 weeks and it felt great!

I just revived good news while writing this. My research paper I wrote last semester is being nominated for a undergraduate library research award! I'm pretty excited!

Awesome! Congrats!

My positive for the day:
I haven't killed my husband yet. But the night is young, I might need some DIS bail money.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I've been there!

I do track my food (but got a little off track over the holidays). I use weight watchers and track on their app. It's so convenient and easy for me. I think tracking food is so important no matter which way you do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe it's almost race weekend!

Good luck runners & have fun!!

I am at work and have a bunch of things to do (including eating lunch), so I have to run! I'll check in later.

Jill

I learned from the master, Miss Pamela!! I remember us sitting down at MGM and you pulling out your notebook. I know you didn't have measurements of everything but you made a conscious effort to still make a note of everything you had.

QOTD:

I am tracking - using Sparkpeople. I need something that let's me use metric measurements as well as the ability to enter food. So far I have not found a German equivalent, so I am using the American website with "adjustments". I once looked at MFP and fould it more difficult to adjust to my needs.

My weight loss journey has been ongoing for a few years now, I started with WW but then became to good to "cheat" within that system without going over my points. I find that since I am tracking calories (and keep an eye on distribution on fat, carbs and protein) I am much more accountable to myself and I need that.

I know that if I want to be serious about losing weight I need to track. However, after quite some time tracking I generally know about how much I can eat to stay within certain limits. So I am generally ok to stop tracking if I only want to maintain my weight, I can even lose the odd pound or so. But then social events come around and stress at work, and I know that I am not eating well, so the pounds return. I don't think this is due to the fact that I am not tracking - it is just a return to old bad habits. I have become better over the years to shorten these periods.

So - in the end: tracking is the best tool for weight loss - it is even more important than exercise in my opinion. But in the end I believe I will be able one day to live without constant tracking.

I still track, virtually day, even after 5 years of WW (just had my Weight Watcher-iversary on 1/2/13 !!) and I am willing to CONTINUE to do it every day for the rest of my life if it keeps me slim! If I thought I could go without it, it might be tempting. But it has been SUCH a key to this, I'm almost afraid to try to go without. Honestly, it has become such a daily habit and it takes so little time, I figure it is an easy thing to do to stay OP.... easier than exercise and easier than being hungry!!

I do snack between meals. I have a very early lunch at work so by 3 pm I am so hungry. I try to grab something healthy to hold me over until dinner. Dinner is my last food of the day. I'm not a night snacker (like DH).

Lucky! Wish I could give up the after dinner foods, but I've tried... so I always leave a few Points to enjoy later.

Positive~Since I couldn't make it to the gym, I took the dog for a walk to get any exercise I could.

WOHOO! And great for Fido as well!

I am most proud of not GAINING weight over the holidays. I hate to admit there may have been a few Christmas cookie episodes :lmao: I am struggling getting back into the exercise routine. Being sick for a week really wiped me out & I really enjoyed my time with DH and my boys. It's hard to leave to go to the gym sometimes when they are having a good time at home & I want to join in.

WOW!!

Positive~I went back to the gym for the 1st time in 3 weeks and it felt great!

WTG!!:banana:

I do track my food (but got a little off track over the holidays). I use weight watchers and track on their app. It's so convenient and easy for me. I think tracking food is so important no matter which way you do it!

I wish I had a fancy phone and could use the app.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe it's almost race weekend!

Good luck runners & have fun!!

I am at work and have a bunch of things to do (including eating lunch), so I have to run! I'll check in later.

Jill

Hope your workday is short and painless!

I learned from the master, Miss Pamela!! I remember us sitting down at MGM and you pulling out your notebook. I know you didn't have measurements of everything but you made a conscious effort to still make a note of everything you had.

I think that is called "OCD"! :rotfl: Usually on vacation is more keeping track of the SPLURGES rather than Points! :thumbsup2 But honestly, it is SUCH a habit to write what I eat, even when I eat crummy, I still write it!

Students are at recess, and I'm off for a well-deserved potty break and to get ready to eat lunch with the kiddos. Nothing exciting for lunch, as I was too exhausted at 10:30 last night to pack anything exciting... but it will fill the belly well enough.

Not sure at all what I will have for dinner tonight. I have a boatload of running around to do, but most of it is here in my town and there is NOTHING here in town. I may end up grabbing a Subway sandwich while I'm in the "big" town while DD is swimming and save it til dinner time. Or maybe a salad from the salad bar at the grocery store.... wait and see what sound appealing. I didn't pack a dinner because I thought I might be home at a reasonable enough time, but now that carpool has cancelled, I probably won't be home until at least 8pm and then will have to go out again at 9pm.

TTYL..............P

Good job not spending! I'm trying not to spend anything either! I told a coworker not to even let me know if she's going out for lunch. I'll eat out again in about a year :lmao: And, why is it that I walk into Target for 3 things and leave with 10 bags and my bank account down $150?!?!

Target is my arch nemesis. I always have unintentional spending. It's so hard. Today I realized I that I am going to need vitamins so I ordered them off of Amazon. I don't need to go in for Vitamins and come out with $100 worth of crap! Good luck on not eating out for lunch- I have decided that I am going allow myself to eat out for lunch once a week. Too bad I was too lazy to back my lunch yesterday and I've already used my free pass for the week :rotfl:

Hi, all! Quick catch-up...Downton is back on, and I'm loving it!

QOTD today - I do meal plan, but not completely fastidiously. :) I sometimes make freezer meals at the Let's Dish near us, and I also subscribe to the Six O'Clock Scramble. Both provide PointsPlus values, which really helps me. I'm not a short-order cook for our family, so finding meals that we can all eat together and I can make work with WW is a plus. We eat out at least twice a week, typically - the girls' swim class night and gymnastics nights are right around dinnertime, and between school, drive time, etc. - we take the convenience over the extra-late dinnertime and cranky kiddos. And me. :)

Two more short training runs before the half marathon next weekend! I would have had three, but I decided to drop the third this weekend. We were so busy, and I had a little tickle in my throat that I've been beating off with a stick. DH and I fly out for WDW early on Thursday - the goal now is to stay healthy!

Back to Downton - I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I love Downton!!! It is so hard for me not to enjoy the cliffhangers from week to week knowing that somewhere all of the episdoes are available for me to watch.

I have never heard of Six O'Clock Scramble so I will be doing some googling. The fact that they provide the points plus values must be so helpful.

I am really regretting not signing up for the half- I love me some donald duck! I am looking forward to doing it in 2014- You will be awesome!

No--not compared to you people lol. I have lots of food in the freezer, cupboards, fridge, I usually make sure something's thawed, I'll plan a few things for the week. If there's nothing we might pull something out of the freezer like panko chicken strips and make sandwiches with them...I need to make sure there's some kind of veggie around to go with dinner. Having sweet potatoes in the garage and yams help-- I had a huge sweet potato with dinner tonight.
Positive--spent 1/2 hour treading water in a very busy pool tonight talking to a lady I know from there.

This is how I meal plan most of the time. Pull some meat out and go from there. I bought a lot of frozen veggies this week to help with when we need a veggie in a crunch.

Good job with the 1/2 hour of treading! It must have gone by a lot faster with someone to talk to.

POSITIVE: Despite family birthday weekend restaurant calorie overload:scared1:, I tracked everything. Bright side....

:woohoo: That's awesome! Tracking is harder when you know you went a little overboard, but it definitely helps with staying accountable.

Intro I'm hoping to lose 8 pounds this month. Seems like a lot.... I'm one of the shoot for the moon and you'll land among the stars type people. I'm also very competitive so I figured if I participated here like I do on the exercise thread, it will be extra motivational. I really want to lose my weight (18 pounds) in the next 3 months or so. Why, you ask....
You can do it- 8 pounds is completely manageable.

I am 26, I'm a student at a CT university, my major is history/ secondary education with a minor in Spanish. My specialty is intellectual European history with a focus on World War II and Germany and I hope to go for my phd.

Welcome! My dream in life (if we win the lottery that is, or come into a large some of money so I can take 7-10 years off of work) is to get my PhD in History so I am in awe of you :worship: I got my bachelors in History before I went to Pharm school (i know, weird segway) and if I had put my foot down, I would have gone the masters/PhD track.

I gave in to temptation today :worried: Had some of the chocolate from the dreaded treat closet at school. I really need to get someone to shoot rubber bands at me or something every time I am tempted. I have been resisting the big bag of chips that is on the lunch table at all times.

My go to snacks are yogurt, nuts, cheese, veggies and Swiss Miss Diet Hot Chocolate. Of course today my snack was 2 Resses PB cups and few Dove dark chocolate squares. :headache:

For the positive though I did move around a lot today. I was at my goal of 5000 steps before school even ended and I will probably be closer to 7000 or more by bed time. Trying to convince myself to go walk around the school before my meeting tonight. I have about 20 mins to kill.

Oh, and another positive. Today I wore a sweater that I tried on in November and it was too tight to comfortably and decently wear. It fits great now and I got a lot of compliments on it.

Little victories- you avoided the big bag of chips! And that the sweater fits great. Yay!

Glad tomorrow is Tuesday. Not quite as crazy in the morning as swim mornings!
I'm scheduled to work the rest of the week, so I'm glad I got so much done today. But sadly, no scrapping time to be had today.

Excited to see the next episode of BL tonight. And thrilled to pieces that Jillian is back! Anyone else really disappointed with the person who went home first? It made me sad. Won't say any more in case someone hasn't watched yet.

I did manage to get in a very short free weight circuit before hitting the shower...but better than nothing, right?

Not sure when I will be on tomorrow, as I don't know what kind of computer access I will have and then I will get home after school and DS's orthodontist appointment just in time to gobble down dinner, put on my exercise gear, and head out for swim practice and a workout. Then I won't be home from that until 10:15 and have to be up at 4:15 the next morning...so not much computer time! But I'll try! BB when I can! ............P

Any workout is better than no workout. I have to watch BL tonight, I am so far behind on my weekly shows that I just finished watching Downton last night, and have to watch BL and pretty little liars tonight. My gym time is cutting into my TV time. I am excited that Jillian is back though!

I hope it's ok I post this here I just need to "vent" a little. I have been really watching this week what I eat and exercising as planned and I should not be GAINING weight theoretically. But I am. :( I think it's muscle. I have an injury-issue that causes me to lose muscle in my leg quickly and last December and end of November I had to cut way back on my running and this lost a lot of muscle in my leg (just the right). So now that I'm full out able to run and exercise I'm gaining back the muscle and the scale is going up (even if the clothes are looser). This is so frustrating. I really need to break through this mini plateau and I wanted to say thanks for having this thread and participating because it really does help me in times like this.

Planning to drink lots of water and eat very lean and clean today (and aim for exactly the necessary calories). Maybe that will help... How I'm going to do this having dinner w friends of ours at red robin is beyond me. ??? Definitely working out tonight!

You can break through it- Plateau's are awful and they make you feel like everything you are doing isn't working anymore :( This thread is here to help!

I did weigh myself this morning and I am down 3lbs.:cool1:

Congrats!! That is awesome!

The scale was not friendly - it even scared me when yesterday it showed that I was up 3 pounds from my starting weight. But today I was suddenly down 4 pounds from yesterday! So I am finally seeing some progress. Very happy about this. I do know that my weight loss is never linear and that there are ups and downs, still it was a bit scary!

I can't even imagine how scary that was! I would have cried. Congrats on seeing progress :)

Kids are off to Art. The morning went well, but one boy brought in muffins for his birthday snack. Sounds fine, right? Well....he brought in THREE type of muffins, plus frosting. So EVERY SINGLE CHILD in the class had to be asked what KIND of muffin and did they want frosting! It took 20 minutes to get everyone their snack. Not sure what the Mom was thinking, although it was nice of her to think of nut allergies and send in nut-free muffins. He offered me one and I said no at first, but then he had plenty so I took a banana muffin and will give it to DS later today as a treat.

Good job avoiding the frosted muffin temptation!

I just revived good news while writing this. My research paper I wrote last semester is being nominated for a undergraduate library research award! I'm pretty excited!

Congrats! That's amazing!

Positive: my husband is impressed with how great I've been doing and wants to join me!!! So much easier when there is someone at home supporting you.

This is fantastic- I wish my husband would join in with me! It would make it easier to eat better when he constantly wants Mac and Cheese for Dinner!

Another marathon week-end person running through and waving! :wave2:

I'll try to post a picture or two of the WISH festivities if I can figure out how to do that from my phone. :goodvibes

Good luck this weekend! You will do awesome!

I am so proud of myself as I just got back from a 40 minute run in the rain! I was so bummed when I got off work and realized it was raining as I really had planned on a run today. And then I was inspired by all the people in this thread who managed to get their exercise in despite set backs that I decided to just try how far I would get running in the rain. I run 10 minute rounds around the streets at home if I have to run in the dark and so could have easily stopped earlier. But I complete the planned four rounds. Got really wet but thanks to the modern running gear it did keep me nice and warm.

Ooo! What kind of gear do you have? I'm always looking for an excuse to by new running stuff.

I am most proud this week that I have stayed within my calorie goals every day. I have struggled with accepting my current weight as far as my appearance goes. I don't like the way I look in photos unless I'm at my goal weight - which is kind of silly since I'm only about 6-7 pounds above my goal.

Something positive - I realized that part of why I felt so frumpy in holiday photos is because my bras are shot - I bought some new ones yesterday. Yay!

You are so close- good job staying within your calorie goals!

My positive for the day:

This is often a big accomplishment in my house too! lol

Thank you so much to Pamela for taking over a day early for me! You all deserve to have a coach with her head in the game, and I am a little distracted!;)

I love reading everyone's positives for the day and I hope you will keep doing that for the month of January. :)

I am excited, nervous, terrified, etc. If you can think of an emotion I have probably been through it this week. I keep thinking--26 miles is a really, really, long way.:rotfl:

I hope everyone has a great week. I will be back sometime mid week next week. My pm box is pretty empty so there should be no problems with sending in weight updates this week.

Have a super week! Good luck to everyone who is running this weekend!
You can do it! You've trained, and are ready, plus the medal is AWESOME!

Good luck to all our runners this weekend!!! Wishing you all wonderful races!!!

This x100! I wish I was there running with you guys!

Good job writing those 3 bars down. I would have cringed as I typed them into my app but it would have definitely stopped me from having four of them.

I do track my food. I use an app called itrackbites which counts WW points. I've been good at tracking every single thing that goes in my mouth including counting every BLT (bite, lick, taste) as 1 point. I am also measuring my meats, grains, fats (especially peanut butter as I could easily eat a whole jar of that by itself!)

Today feels weird for me as it's my day off of exercise. I've worked out the past 7 days and am going to start a routine of working out 6 days and having 1 day off... I know my body needs it to recover and I don't want to burn out either but it feels strange.

I was pretty proud of myself yesterday because I had a little time to myself when the 2 littles one were napping and instead of watching TV I played a dancing game on the Wii.

Thanks for hosting Pam and thank you Rose for hosting last week!

Have a great day everyone!

Ooo! What kind of gear do you have? I'm always looking for an excuse to by new running stuff.

Oh, I don't really any specific names. One is a new Nike long sleeve shirt that I got for Christmas, I think it is called Miler or something like that in a dark green/blue. I also have a Nike jacket which I got as a birthday present last year, it is a "dry fit" thing. I think it goes in the category of "soft shells" it is not a rain jacket, but slightly water resistant. And my pants are actually very old no name ones that I picked up for cheap. I think the most important thing was my light weight fleece hat which kept my head surprisingly dryish as well as warm!

Hey all....

Surgery went well however had not anticipated the level of pain I have had. Took them 2 hours to get it under control post surgery. Doing better today. Just hanging out in bed with arm elevated and iced. No appetite but have been trying to eat a little something.

Best wishes to everyone running this weekend!!!! Can't wait to follow your race times. Have a great time!! Can't wait for pics....

Positive: I have the most amazing hubby :) he has literally been at my side every minute running for anything I need. He even thought ahead and had the heated blanket turned on on my side of bed so when we got home last night I had a nice warm spot to curl up in!!!!! He has made this tough recovery more tolerable..

112 days to Disney :)

I do track my food because that is when I am the most successful. I track online while I am at work and then when I get home I transfer it all to my paper journal. I am doing WW so I love knowing that everything has a points value. It may seem like a lot, but my DH checks my paper journal every night to make sure that I am tracking. We have a deal that if I don't track he gets to delete something off of our Tivo.

I think that I am going to track long term because I am finding that it is not that time consuming and sometimes the points value of something you think is healthy, actually turns out to be a ton of points.

So, went to the Dr again today. I have a sinus infection. At least now I'm getting antibiotic!!
I really really hope I feel better soon. I've just about lost my voice today. ERGH!!!
It's really hard to sing the Tangled soundtrack in the car when you don't have a voice. LOL

Slowly things are getting back to normal here. I am grateful I finally got a good night of sleep last night.

Yes, on Sparkpeople and transfer it to FitBit. Love both! I know that when I track my food, I lose weight. When I don't track, I maintain or *gasp* gain. I will probably always track in some way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter