WISH Away the Pounds--Healthy Recipe Thread (new title)

Finally got around to posting this....

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
1 can (12.5 ounces)* Swanson® Premium White Chunk Chicken Breast in Water , drained
2 medium carrots , shredded (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup diced red pepper
4 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup reduced fat Asian-style sesame salad dressing
6 large Bibb or iceberg lettuce leaves

Directions
1. Stir the chicken, carrots, pepper, onions and dressing in a medium bowl.
2. Divide the chicken mixture among the lettuce leaves. Fold the lettuce leaves around the filling and serve immediately.

Okay..... this isn't so much a "recipe" as just an "idea". I made it last weekend and it was very good. NONE Of the measurements are exact, except for the quinoa.

No-Name Vegan Stew

1 C quinoa

2 quarts (about) of vegetable broth

1 1/2 quarts (about) of V-8 juice or other vegetable juice

1 can of whole kernel corn, drained (or frozen equivalent)

1 can of kidney beans drained and rinsed. (or dried/soaked equivalent)

chopped carrots (2-3 large)

chopped celery (3-4 large stalks)

1 can diced tomatoes with italian herbs (not drained)

1 chopped onion

Bring all of the above (except quinoa) to a boil. Add 1 C of quinoa. Turn down to medium and cover and cook about 10-15 minutes (stirring occasionally).

The quinoa thickens the "soup" so it is a bit more like a stew. It is a complete protein with the quinoa and the beans.

Any assortment of veggies could be used.... this just happened to be what I had on hand. It might be nice to add summer squash or kale near the end of the cooking.

Liquid amounts are approximate..... I was using a batch of homemade vegetable stock, so I'm not sure how much it was.... and I was using up the remainder of a bottle of V-8. I prefer the Bolthouse Farms fresh vegetable juice, but it is pricey, so I use V-8 sometimes.

I added a bit of salt at the end, but I tasted it first.... the canned corn, V-8, and beans can be salty. I didn't add pepper because I don't like it, but you certainly could. I also added a few dashes of "italian herb blend".

Good luck.....................P

Moroccan Couscous salad (inspired by the moroccan pavilion at Epcot)

1 box of plain couscous -cooked, fluffed, and cooled

2-4 Tb. EVOO (more or less to taste.... I find it just fine with only 2 Tb)

1 Tb. lemon juice

few splashes of rice wine vinegar

2 Tb. sugar

Dashes of nutmeg, allspice, cumin, salt

1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed

1 C of raisins

Optional: 1/2 C diced bell pepper, 1/2 C chopped vidalia onion

Make dressing with EVOO, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, and spices. Stir until well combined and sugar has dissolved. Pour dressing over cooled couscous. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.

Tastes better when refrigerated for at least 1 hour before serving.

** This was inspired by a side dish I tried in the Moroccan counter service pavilion at Epcot last year. I don't usually add the peppers or onions, but I know there were some in the original. I use whole wheat couscous, but any kind of plain couscous is fine. You could also try Craisins and maybe nuts.

I really love this stuff.... too much! I don't have the calorie or points breakdown here in front of me right now, sorry.

Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti

2 tbs margarine
1 lb boneless skinned chicken breast
Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
3 cups canned no sald added chicken broth
8 oz ff, sour cream
16 oz ziti
1/2 cup shredded, reduced fat monteray jack cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
one bunch brocolli

Place chicken in saucepan , cover with water, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 min. Drain, let cool, and shred with fork.
Steam or boil brocolli.
In sauce pan coat with cooking spray and place on heat, add onoin and garlic, saute til tender.
Combine flour and 1/2 cup broth. Add 2 and 1/2 cup broth and flour mix to onion mixture, and book over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Combine brocolli, chicken, sour cream mixture, monteray jack cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and pepper. Stir in pasta. Spoon into 13/9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine breadcrumbs and melded margarin and remaining parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over chicken. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Finally got over here to post. I'll post more later. Thank you Rose for keeping this thread up. :flower3:

Requested from the Meal Planning Thread

Almost every recipe I have I have specific Adaptions I have made, and this one is no exception. As made it comes out more like a soup-- just way to much liquid so I just cut the liquids in half. And as nice as pearl onions are they are expensive, hard to find and an absolute pain to use so after one use we decided they aren't worth the trouble or money.

If you want to use Pearl Onions and have never prepared them here is a site with easy to follow directions: http://startcooking.com/blog/202/How-to-Peel-Pearl-Onions

Oh, and I brown everything (steps 2 and 3) on the stove, add the wine to that pan to deglaze (dissolve all the yummy bits stuck to the pan) and then dump it all into a crock pot and carry on with step 4. I let it cook all day until it is falling apart.

New Beef Burgundy
from one of the South Beach Cookbooks
Phase 2

Ingredients

* 1/4 c whole wheat flour
* 1/4 t salt
* 1/4 t pepper
* 1.5 lb round steak, top or bottom, cubed
* 2 T olive oil
* 1/2 lb pearl onions ( could substitute regular onions, chopped)
* 1 lb mushrooms, quartered
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 3 c burgundy wine (I cut to 1.5 cups)
* 4 c beef broth (I cut to 2 cups)
* 1/4 c tomato paste
* 1 t unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/4 c italian parsley, chopped

Directions

1. In ziploc bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat well.
2. Heat 1 T oil in saucepan over med high, add beef, and cook 5 min until brown. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add remaining oil and saute onions, mushrooms, garlic 10 min until lightly browned.
4. Add wine, broth, tom paste, cocoa powder, bay leaves, and beef. Bring to boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 2 hours.
5.Discard bay leaves and sprinkle with parsley.

If you want to use Pearl Onions and have never prepared them here is a site with easy to follow directions: http://startcooking.com/blog/202/How-to-Peel-Pearl-Onions

Thanks, LTS! :flower3: Now I don't have to plan Saturday night's dinner! :thumbsup2

They have frozen pearl onions that are ready to go around here -- I think I will try those as ITA that pearl onions are more trouble than they are worth. Shallots might be a good substitute, too.

beef burgundy recipe sounds delicious. DH is coming home from a business trip on saturday so that may be his welcome home meal!

would you serve that over rice? noodles?

beef burgundy recipe sounds delicious. DH is coming home from a business trip on saturday so that may be his welcome home meal!

would you serve that over rice? noodles?

My kids prefer Egg Noodles so that is what we use, but it would be good with either. It would also be good on a bed of Mashed Potatoes or with Roasted Potatoes but that isn't South Beach friendly! Make sure to add a good green veggie like broccoli with it. :)

There are some really delicious recipes here :)
At least seems so :-)
Would try them to the very next morning .

No doubt this dinner is easy and have a complete diet and can help those
people who want to loss weight. Surely people can loss weight after follow this
dinner plan.

whoa - looks like our thread is getting spammed - lol!

i make this last night and it was really delicious. i don't know the nutrition value but i'd venture to say it's pretty good for you. maybe you could just use one boullion cube to make it less salty but i liked it with two :)

Pork Chops and Rice

2 Tbs olive oil
4 pork chops
1 can diced tomatos (approximately 16 oz)
1 cup uncooked brown rice, do not use quick cooking rice
2 1/2 Cups hot water
2 beef bouillon cubes

Put oil in large skillet on medium heat till hot.
Brown all pork chops about 4-5 minutes per side
open can of tomatos and pour over pork chops
Pour uncooked rice around and between the porkchops. Its ok if some gets on top.
Dissolve both bouillon cubes in the hot water, doesn't matter if they don't dissolve completely, and pour over the chops.
Cover and cook on low heat for approximately 1 hour.

I made an excellent crockpot meal last week from the Crockpot Recipes thread over on the Budget Board. Not SUPER "diet", but yummy and healthy.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2367027&page=16

Post #230.

**The changes I made:**

I used lean boneless pork loin chops because DS is allergic to chicken.

I doubled the beans and added an additional can of diced tomatoes to make go further and make it a "less meat" meal.

I used about 3/4 block of reduced fat cream cheese. Next time I will use just half a block.... it was more than enough.

It was more "liquidy" than I anticipated and so we weren't able to eat it on wraps..... instead we just put it in stew bowls. But everyone loved it!

Sorry.... can't provide NI or points or calorie count. ................P

WW categorizes this as a side dish, but I had it as a meal and it was quite filling!

PointsPlus value: 6
Serves: 6
Easy

1 pound(s) raw lean ground beef
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup(s) dry potato flakes
3/4 cup(s) fat-free creamer, such as fat-free 1/2 and 1/2
10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:
* Preheat oven to 450°F. Pat beef into a 9-inch pie plate and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook until beef browns, about 8 minutes, and remove from oven; set aside and preheat broiler.

* Meanwhile, combine potatoes and half and half in a microwavable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and turn back a corner of plastic to allow steam to escape. Microwave until hot, about 1 to 2 minutes; whisk with a fork until smooth and set aside. Microwave vegetables according to package directions; mix vegetables and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt into potatoes.

* Pour off any accumulated juices from beef. Pat potato mixture into meat crust and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 inches from heating element until cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.

Notes: I used skim milk instead of half and half and found it to be just fine, but I might use a little more than 3/4 cup, the potatoes were a bit dry. I did not add the second 1/4 tsp of salt, because the potatoes were very salty.

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
4 cups vegetable broth
12oz (about half a squash) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 - 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 large vidalia onion, cut into 2 inch cubes
1/2 small apple, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1/8 tsp nutmeg, or to taste

Instructions
1. In a large stock pot, combine broth, squash, onion, and apple; cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover pot and reduce heat to low; gently simmer until squash is very tender, about 10 minutes.

2. Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches, careful not to splatter hot liquid). Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg; serve.

Serves 12; 1/2 cup serving

**Caveat: Be kind and patient. I'm not much of a cook, this is my own concotion and I've only made it once.

Red, White, and Green chicken chili

3 Tb. minced garlic

2 large sweet white onions, diced

2 red bell peppers, diced

3 large celery stalks, diced

1 - 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

3 large chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed

2 ounces of reduced fat shredded mexican cheese blend

½ C salsa (you choice, mild, spicy, or hot)

2 Tb. EVOO

1 Tb. butter or butter blend

2 Tb. whole wheat flour

1 C chicken stock

½ C skim milk

1 tsp. Chili powder

½ tsp. Hot chili powder

½ tsp. Tumeric

1 ½ tsp. Dried cilantro

1 tsp. Cumin

salt and pepper to taste

In a large dutch oven or soup pot, sautee/sweat down the onions, peppers, garlic and celery in 1 Tb. of EVOO. When softened and translucent, add chick peas and heat through. Add cooked chicken chunks.

In a separate stock pot heat/melt the remaining 1 Tb. EVOO and the 1 Tb. butter (or butter blend). Blend in, cooking and stirring until bubbly the 2 Tb flour.

Using a whisk to prevent lumps, slowly stir in the 1 C chicken stock and ½ C skim milk. Cook until smooth and thickened. Add the spices, shredded cheese, and finally the ½ salsa.

Add the sauce over the top of the veggies and chicken and mix to coat and combine.

Heat through and serve.

Makes 6 “soup bowl” size servings.

Okay... that was the recipe as I made it/wrote it. Here are some changes to try............

Add a can of drained/rinsed red kidney beans (or maybe another can of chick peas). Not only will it stretch the recipe further, but will add more fiber and healthy protein.

I used 1 Tb of EVOO and 1 Tb of Smart Balance butter blend stick. I wasn't sure if you could make a roux with just oil, so I used the butter this time. Next time I will try just using 2 Tb of EVOO.

May use a Tb or so of prepared chili seasoning instead of measuring all of those individual spices next time.

Could use more or less chicken. This seemed to be a “just right” amount, but could add more if feeding to some serious carnivores.... or less for a more “meatless” meal. Could also make it with white meat pork. I don't make much with chicken because of DS's allergy, but I had some chicken that needed to be used. If I make this in the future it will probably be made with pork and veggie stock instead of chicken and chicken stock so that the whole family can eat it.

Could use lots of different types of cheeses... monterey jack, pepper jack... whatever is handy.

Could add more salsa for a more traditional tomato-y chili taste, or skip all together.

Could add more chicken stock and/or milk to white sauce and make this more like a SOUP rather than a chili (DD decided it was what Rachel Ray calls “stoup”... stew/soup).
..........................................P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter