WISH Away The Pounds - Awesome August Challenge - Everyone Welcome

I have to share the good news today. No, not just that my 4 girls are off to school at last, but this:

:wishten

Ten lbs. gone, just 12.5 lbs more to go till my goal!

Hi Guys, thanks for sending in your weights. I have updated the spreadsheet and have changed quite a few colours in post #3!!!!

Things look a little better this week overall I think.

If you still want to send me your weight for this week, then please do so, otherwise next WI is on Saturday 31st. Good luck for the final week of Awesome August. Spectacular September thread will be put up by next Friday, so if you want to take part in that too, just include the info in your final PM for August.

Have a great day

Helen, thanks for taking on September as well!

So far I am still at the same weight as at the beginning of the month... Not good! Hopefully September will be better!

Hi Magdalene....I think most of us have had problems losing in August...for me it was definitely the holiday thing...weekends away etc. Got one week off in September, but am prepared for that, so hoping to go for another 7lb, but may have to make it more if I fail this month!!!! Can't believe that I've lost 64lb so far this year though, it's really added up.

Love your quote, Jill! And a big :woohoo: and :yay: for your great 10k time! You DID rock it! :cool2:

Enjoy the first day of school today! :flower3:

It is the first day of school for DS, too. He is a freshman. I think he is ready as he got up voluntarily at 4:45 a.m. This will be the only time this year. :lmao:

Thanks! 4:45? That's a *little* early for me :rotfl:

Have a great time and tell Mickey that I said that I miss him :)

Morning all! I'ved missed you all! Sorry i haven't been able to participate much this month. We had almost no wifi on vacation, despite the owner's promise. It was a PITA since several of us had work obligations to check on during the week. Then we were home with a MOUNTAIN of laundry and it was just 4 days at home to pack up DD for college. We moved her in Thursday. Then we were home for a day before heading back to DD's school for convocation and our real good-byes.

Now i have to get DS to the orthodontist and eye doctor (today) and get some school clothes and supplies before he starts on Thursday.

Exercise has been sporadic, although I did great on vacation with kayaking every day and some walking and running thrown in. That being said, i came back way up on the scale and have been working hard to get back into my maintenance range.

Sorry to have missed so much chatter and news. No time to read back now, as i need to head out with DS soon. TTYL......................P

Glad you had a nice vacation even though the wifi was not so great. I can't believe DD is away at school! How exciting! How are you adjusting to her not being at home and running her to swimming all the time?

Jill -- great job on the race!!

Thanks!

thanks all for the compliments....my dress and my oldest DD dress both came from Goodwill :teeth:

Nice score! Our Goodwill is less than stellar, however, we have a couple close to us (about 20 minute drives) that are awesome. I should go check them out soon since I haven't been to either since the beginning of July.

I have to share the good news today. No, not just that my 4 girls are off to school at last, but this:

:wishten

Ten lbs. gone, just 12.5 lbs more to go till my goal!

Whoohoo! Congrats! :banana:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello all :)

I have a quick planning period right now and I thought I better check in before I get busy again. It's going to take me a few more days to get adjusted to my new work schedule and what I'm teaching, but so far, so good. I'll be spending lots of time this week planning for next week!

I am totally on board for the new September thread. Actually, I don't think I've needed it more! August was just terrible, eating wise. I'm getting back on track this week with a more structured schedule, but lose my time for exercise. I'm just going to try to fit things in where I can. I am hoping on Tues/Thurs I can get about 45 minutes in right after school (probably running) and on Mondays I will go to circuit training class. I guess I better bust out Jillian dvds as well. Oh, and this is all as long as DHs work schedule doesn't change. If it does, who knows what I'll be doing!

Well, I better run to use the restroom before I have to teach again, because who knows when I'll get the chance again :rotfl2: Have a great day!

Jill

Sorry August has been so sluggish for everyone (didn't someone post that August was their worst month for weight loss?? I think most said October...) So we'd better make September count because October is "hauntingly" right around the corner.

So I believe I'm coach this week, and already a day late.

WISH QOTD: Is it me or does it seem to take 2 days for a bad day of eating to register on the scale?

Maybe I'm being silly but I go fast food and movie popcorn one day, the next day scale is looking remarkably good. The day after however, even if I'm eating like a rabbit, always a gain. Maybe I'm just on a two day storage cycle. HA!

Separate Disney QOTD: I love the Disney questions so I'm incorporating one: Did you ever have a special CM moment you'll never forget?

I'm sure it's tough to have a perpetual smile on your face, but somehow they manage so well to make you feel like the only person in the park. We were in HS and completely lost we approached a janitor hoping he could point us in the right direction. He was so helpful and even had Cars stickers to give my daughter. I don't know if that was a Disney thing or his own little magical contribution to see kids smile, but it was really great.

On an exercise note... funny story last night. I walk / run intermittently a four mile circuit around the local lake. Its a good thing I've been building up to running because I had to sprint the last half mile home last night! I was attacked by a horsefly! Just one, but those buggers are HUGE and unlike bees who don't really want to hassle you, this guy was ravenous! Ugh - bug spray from now on, I looked ridiculous sprint while constantly billowing out my shirt.

Have a great last week of August! Sprint into September like you're being chased by horseflies so you're rarin' to go come September's challenge!!!

Ugh not going well. Summer started well and seemed to be doing well with slowly loosing but just got back last month from a week in Nova Scotia/New Brunswick and then have neglected myself with kids bday plans and back to school planning. Plus the trip photos revealed I'm still not where I want to be. Esp the horrible zipline photo someone took of my rear end with that lovely harness highlighting everything! :sad2:

SO anyway I'm hoping to get back on track here. The challenges really helped my keep my focus I realized. I did my 1hr treadmill yesterday for the first time in over a month - felt good! Hoping to squeeze it in again tonight.

Gotta run but just popping in to commit to myself!!!

:cheer2:

just got back last month from a week in Nova Scotia/New Brunswick and then have neglected myself with kids bday plans and back to school planning.

I know how that is around this time. I'm already working on costumes and it's everything I can do to force myself to take an hour away from the needle and thread to walk the lake right now. It sounds like I'm ahead of the game but these are pirate costumes so we're getting extra uses out of them including Pirate Weekend at the Renaissance Festival in two weeks! :faint: Hope I can get the basics done by then... and then I can get more detailed on them for Pirate Night on the Disney cruise! Man I will be disappointed if they switch the short cruises to the Pixar Party before then... I think it's just the 7-day Alaskan cruise. Not that a Pixar Party wouldn't be a blast, but a sad day for a costumer bringing the wrong costume.

I tell you what, I'm not an expert seamstress, and generally patterns read like hieroglyphs and I need to reread each step a million times before it makes sense (and I NEVER baste because they're costumes for crying out loud!) Anyway, what is UP with pattern sizing? If I made a size 16 pirate coat, it wouldn't fit me. Apparently they adhere to some ancient system of sizing where I actually fit a true size 20?!?!? Well, it's correct, I made the jacket at size twenty, and it fits. Maybe a little loose, as I have lost 15 pounds since I bought the plans... But I'm fitting into size 12 jeans now at Walmart so it's a little frustrating to say I'm a pattern size 20!

================================

I usually read online Yahoo health articles with a serious grain of salt but this one really packs a lot of what I consider VERY helpful information. I particularly find the interval moves and the yogurt advice to be very sound. Do any of these pointers ring true for you??

Revving Your Metabolism

Finally back! My first call to jury duty and at the very end of the day, the very last 5 minutes of selection, I got picked to serve... Our area is small, so no media as the trial proceeds. After that was over, a fun retreat out into the wilderness for a long weekend, and now back to work making up everything I missed! Busy, busy... I'm giving it a good effort, but August has been rough. I'm trying to not let the lack of progress get to me, but for now staying away from the scale is probably a good idea. By my clothes, things aren't going well... Urg. Really wanting September to be a better month!

We all seem to be having trouble with August!!!!

Having said that, I went to weigh-in tonight as I missed class on Monday, and I am another 1.5lb down, bringing my total lost this year to 64lb......and for those of you who understand the UK weighing system (Think that's only Floss!!!) I won my 4.5 stones award!!!

Zim that's great you're masking the costumes. I bought a seeing machine last Christmas on sale and haven't used it yet. I need to bust it out. My son wants "steam punk" costumes! I understand w the whacky sizes. I'm a 14 and recall having to get a 20-22 ish.

-----

Wow it is slow around here. In the past I've come back the next day and there pages of posts to soft through. There's been 3 posts since yesterday! Guess most people are getting back in the swing of things esp as parents w back to school.

So far so good on my first day back focusing on diet. I did just eat 2 twizzlers and I tiny piece of dark chocolate while I'm cooking dinner :(

Oh we'll as far as candy goes its probably not too bad.

I WILL get my workout in tonight! I'm making me a priority again!!

Zim that's great you're masking the costumes. I bought a seeing machine last Christmas on sale and haven't used it yet. I need to bust it out. My son wants "steam punk" costumes! I understand w the whacky sizes. I'm a 14 and recall having to get a 20-22 ish.!!

Oh i love steampunk! In fact I'm incorporating a little into my costume. This is the jacket and the little octopus is going on the back just above the godet where there would've been two buttons. The jacket looks much better and more fitted on a person but that's the gist. Anyone know where you can get a cheap poet type shirt? Preferably cheap and thin as this is actually upholstery pleather and is going to be stifling!

593d4e5d-eb33-4b06-99fa-c15a74724807_zps8c3ea61b.jpg

image_zpsbf8be1c3.jpg

I tell you what, I'm not an expert seamstress, and generally patterns read like hieroglyphs and I need to reread each step a million times before it makes sense (and I NEVER baste because they're costumes for crying out loud!) Anyway, what is UP with pattern sizing? If I made a size 16 pirate coat, it wouldn't fit me. Apparently they adhere to some ancient system of sizing where I actually fit a true size 20?!?!? Well, it's correct, I made the jacket at size twenty, and it fits. Maybe a little loose, as I have lost 15 pounds since I bought the plans... But I'm fitting into size 12 jeans now at Walmart so it's a little frustrating to say I'm a pattern size 20!

Sadly this is the problem with vanity sizing.
Clothing manufacturers decided it was a brilliant idea to change people sizes so people would buy more, because who doesn't love a smaller number. Pattern manufacturers opted to not follow suit and stuck with the original measurements.

My mom is a seamstress and makes clothes for me on occasion and it's such a pita trying to figure out sizing now. We end up remeasuring like 8000 times before we go fabric shopping.

Oh i love steampunk! In fact I'm incorporating a little into my costume. This is the jacket and the little octopus is going on the back just above the godet where there would've been two buttons. The jacket looks much better and more fitted on a person but that's the gist. Anyone know where you can get a cheap poet type shirt? Preferably cheap and thin as this is actually upholstery pleather and is going to be stifling!

593d4e5d-eb33-4b06-99fa-c15a74724807_zps8c3ea61b.jpg

image_zpsbf8be1c3.jpg

Whoa that's amazing!! Love the detail around the button holes. I'm clueless I what to make for him. I've looked around at some vintage shops but can't find anything decent, or that fits or not expensive. How long did that take to make?

I won my 4.5 stones award!!!

I know stones :) Sometimes when I want to feel better, I think "meh, I'm only 2 stone too much..." But I can never seem to keep the conversion from coming into my head ;) 4.5 is GREAT!!

Preferably cheap and thin as this is actually upholstery pleather and is going to be stifling!

The fabric is beautiful! My favorite leather notebook has a similar pattern and I've always thought it was so handsome.

Good morning friends! DS is off for the first day of 10th grade today and I am home alone! I have the whole day to myself to do whatever I want! I'm almost paralyzed with the possibilities!! :lmao: I will probably end up doing some cleaning, some laundry, some exercise, and then reward myself with some scrapping time and maybe even a little reading time!

I hope you are all doing well. I know that August is a WASH for me as far as participating here, but I promise to step it up in September. I've missed chatting with you all daily and hearing about your victories and about your struggles. I miss hearing from the newbies! This is truly the most un-involved I've been with a WISH challenge in all of the years I've been active and I really miss it. But real life had to be attended to, of course.

DD is doing GREAT at school! She had her first day of classes yesterday and is partially :thumbsup2 and I think partially :scared1: . Especially when her calculus professor told them to expect to study at least 8 hours a week outside of class! This is on top of a 50 minute class 3 x week plus a 2 hour lab once a week! Um, hello?? She isn't a math major and she has other classes to study for as well! I guess I am forgetting how much studying there was in college (or perhaps I just never did that much studying :lmao: ). But I'm sure she will do great. Her work study is going well so far (she was offered a "premium" work study job as a writing tutor that pays over minimum wage!!) and she has figured out already that she only needs to work 4 hrs a week to fulfill her max work study time, so that shouldn't be too hard.

She has also managed to get to the pool every day it has been open so far, plus got in some walking and running when she can't swim. I think she is off to a great start taking care of herself (which is what I worried about most). I can't believe she has been gone for a week already!

Okay.... enough rambling here about me and my kids. Time to enjoy my day to myself. I will do a short bit of circuit training for exercise, then do a thorough scrubbing of my bathroom, make beds, and then it will be "me" time! Scrapping table, I know you've missed me, but here I come!!................P

LISA -- have fun at Disneyland!!!

tried to upload some photos from our cruise but only got one successfully.
DFN-130801-LSP_Portrait-6583226.jpg

DD - Paige; DD - Taylor; me; DH - Preston

Had to take a moment to comment on this NICE family picture! You and your daughters are just gorgeous... and I love the dresses! WTG on a great thrift store find!................P

Good morning friends! DS is off for the first day of 10th grade today and I am home alone! I have the whole day to myself to do whatever I want! I'm almost paralyzed with the possibilities!! :lmao: I will probably end up doing some cleaning, some laundry, some exercise, and then reward myself with some scrapping time and maybe even a little reading time!

I hope you are all doing well. I know that August is a WASH for me as far as participating here, but I promise to step it up in September. I've missed chatting with you all daily and hearing about your victories and about your struggles. I miss hearing from the newbies! This is truly the most un-involved I've been with a WISH challenge in all of the years I've been active and I really miss it. But real life had to be attended to, of course.

DD is doing GREAT at school! She had her first day of classes yesterday and is partially :thumbsup2 and I think partially :scared1: . Especially when her calculus professor told them to expect to study at least 8 hours a week outside of class! This is on top of a 50 minute class 3 x week plus a 2 hour lab once a week! Um, hello?? She isn't a math major and she has other classes to study for as well! I guess I am forgetting how much studying there was in college (or perhaps I just never did that much studying :lmao: ). But I'm sure she will do great. Her work study is going well so far (she was offered a "premium" work study job as a writing tutor that pays over minimum wage!!) and she has figured out already that she only needs to work 4 hrs a week to fulfill her max work study time, so that shouldn't be too hard.

She has also managed to get to the pool every day it has been open so far, plus got in some walking and running when she can't swim. I think she is off to a great start taking care of herself (which is what I worried about most). I can't believe she has been gone for a week already!

Okay.... enough rambling here about me and my kids. Time to enjoy my day to myself. I will do a short bit of circuit training for exercise, then do a thorough scrubbing of my bathroom, make beds, and then it will be "me" time! Scrapping table, I know you've missed me, but here I come!!................P

Scrapping?? Oh yeah, that room full of stuff that's been collecting dust for WAY too long now! :sad2: How I envy you the ability to stay home, even if it is spent working your butt off every day. I know the Wonder Mutt would love the company! :goodvibes

Had to take a moment to comment on this NICE family picture! You and your daughters are just gorgeous... and I love the dresses! WTG on a great thrift store find!................P

Beautiful family! :thumbsup2
*********************************************************************************************

Like Pam, I've been super absent and haven't checked in nearly as much as I should have. It has shown up on the scale too! :sad: BUT, we are full BL swing here at work and I plan on winning this baby this time around. No second place for me! :sad2: As racing season is ramping up, that should definitely help too. ::yes:: I'll be jumping back on the bandwagon for September which somehow is only 2 days away??!!?? :scared1: Where the heck did the summer go????? :wave:

Scrapping?? Oh yeah, that room full of stuff that's been collecting dust for WAY too long now! :sad2: How I envy you the ability to stay home, even if it is spent working your butt off every day. I know the Wonder Mutt would love the company! :goodvibes

I do realize how VERY lucky I am. I have only worked part-time per diem since the kids were born..... various at-home jobs when they were little and then in the school system once they were both in school all day. And then this summer I added my job with WW into the mix. But even with all of that, it still leaves me with some days at home (although it will be fewer and fewer as the school year ramps up). It has allowed me some wonderful advantages like a VERY flexible schedule. I have never missed a child's activity/event/game/meet unless it conflicted with the other child's schedule and I've been home with them for every school vacation. I can say "no" to my school job if I am too busy, not feeling well, or whatever. I don't love the job, but I love the flexibility, so I will be keeping the job for now.

That being said, we gave up lots of luxuries so that I could be home more. And I've always tried to make it "pay" being at home by making sure we didn't have to resort to convenience foods and/or fast foods, shopping sales, growing my own veggies, cutting coupons, hitting the thrift store.... lots of things I probably wouldn't have time to do if I was working full-time.

Like Pam, I've been super absent and haven't checked in nearly as much as I should have. It has shown up on the scale too! :sad: BUT, we are full BL swing here at work and I plan on winning this baby this time around. No second place for me! :sad2: As racing season is ramping up, that should definitely help too. ::yes:: I'll be jumping back on the bandwagon for September which somehow is only 2 days away??!!?? :scared1: Where the heck did the summer go????? :wave:

Looks like we are ready to hit it hard for September. The scale is hovering just ounces above my WW maintenance range and if I want to keep my job I need to get much more firmly into the middle of the range!

Morning all! Well.... I made it here two days in a row!!

Hope the scale was kind to everyone this week.... I hope you got what you deserved!! I was down just about a pound, so that was great. Another few ounces and I can stop worrying about getting fired! :lmao:

Never made it to my scrapping table yesterday. I got too caught up on researching money-saving ideas and then got into some long-overdue deep cleaning projects. But today.... I am going to clear my scrapping table of EVERYTHING (like all of the junk DS has plopped on it and all of my spring projects that haven't been touched in months), give it a good wipe, put everything where it belongs and GET TO WORK! I may also search the web for some photo printing sales and order some prints for another project.

But first.... I will make DS's bed and get the clean sheets and comforter back on DD's bed. My bed is already made and I've already been to the transfer station.

Been trying different oatmeals lately to see if in fact I really DO like steel cut oats best and have discovered that YES I DO! I made quick cooking oats a few days ago.... ick. Made the longer cooking old-fashioned oats today. Not too bad and will be okay in a pinch.... but I know that I love steel cut oats cooked in the crockpot overnight the best! Since I am the only one who eats those here now, I will probably make them once a week and then split it into four servings and throw the extras in the fridge. It is pretty good warmed up with a bit of almond milk. And it is certainly a grocery bargain, even if I buy organic steel cut.

If anyone is interested, I'm thinking of reviving the recipe thread and the meal planning thread. This seems to be the time of year that folks start to think more about those types of things.

Here is the link to the recipe thread.....

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447512

And here is the link to the meal-planning thread.....

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2676892

Off to make a cup of tea and get moving!..............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter