Wisconsin to Port Canaveral - Road Trip!

We're driving in Dec 2016 from eastern Iowa...with a 5 year old at that time. It will just be 2 drivers, but we're planning on leaving at 5PM and driving through the night to Savannah, GA to stay with some relatives. Then we'll drive to Cape Canaveral on Saturday morning. Driving back might be something different though.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I found a thread in one of the other WDW forums - a massive thread about driving to the parks. Full of ideas and tips as well.

Here's my current thought. We'll plan the trip as if we're driving, and I will continue to watch for deals on flights up to a few days before the cruise. If we find a great deal I'll jump on it, otherwise we'll drive it. I think the only risk with this approach could be finding a great flight deal at the last minute. That could make getting from the airport to the hotel difficult / expensive (we always fly in the day before the cruise), there's always a possibility of paying through the nose for car service or even rentals.

I've done the drive straight thru from Indianapolis to PC as a single mom (3 kids) twice...it sucks but is definitely doable!!! I will warn you, the tears in your eyes as you leave the port do make the beginning of the ride home a bit difficult. One of my sons was also crying saying he knew we'd never go back as a family...and of course, I knew he was probably right (he's 22 and now I cruise without him)

Search the Internet for tips to make the trip manageable! For example, I gave each kid a roll of quarters. Told each child they could have the whole roll for spending money onboard but each misbehavior (whining, fighting, etc) cost a quarter...just a warning that I would take a quarter would bring blessed quiet! Good luck!

Good, you found that thread I was mentioning! Everybody over there is great! I second what pp said about booking refundable hotel. Most have a policy that would be easy to follow, but at least you would have the price firmed up if needed.

We are 5 hours further over here in Minnesota and have driven a few times. We like to drive hard going down, sometimes straight through or spending a short night at a roadside motel. On our return we make it the rest of our vacation, stopping in places like the Smokey Mountains, Nashville, Lake Barkley KY or other enjoyable stops. No one dreads the ride home after the cruise knowing that they are not endless hours in the car and we get to enjoy different places. :car:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter