Winter Camping in Smoky Mountains......Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Camping Community Board' started by Louisianafive, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Louisianafive

Louisianafive Mouseketeer

We are thinking about going to Smoky Mountains for Christmas '09. My DH wants to see about camping......:eek: I know it will be COLD.

Does anyone have recommendations for camp grounds for tent camping and Cabin rentals?

THANKS!:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. 2goofycampers

2goofycampers Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!

4. Brer Bear

Brer Bear Mouseketeer

Check out www.patriotgetaways.com

There are lots of cabins, but be aware that most are clumped together in developments so be wary of those "secluded" descriptions. Most of the cabins and chalets in Gatlinburg are older, just be aware that they may be seriously dated. The nicer cabins are more in the Pigeon Forge area and some out in the Wears Valley area. Hidden Springs is a nice development of cabins past Dollywood that has a HEATED ENCLOSED POOL!

www.riverplantationrv.com is one of our favorite campgrounds and they have some small cabins there if you'd rather stay in a campground. It is just outside of Pigeon forge and near most of the action.

www.smokybearcampground.com is a really nice smallish campground in the Cosby side of Gatlinburg and they have a few cabins as well.

I'd strongly suggest you rethink tent camping...it can easily be below freezing at night that time of year. It's doable, but I don't know how enjoyable. I've tent camped in the 20's with the boy scouts, but I didn't get much sleep!!!:sad2:

We live about an hour from Pigeon Forge so we are a bit spoiled and have seen most of the area multiple times, let me know if you have specific questions.

5. djblu883

djblu883 DIS Veteran

I like that RV park too and the cabins are reasonable!!!!

6. Louisianafive

:cheer2: Thanks for all the web sites and info!! I knew I could get help from fellow Diser's!:yay:

7. ntsammy5

ntsammy5 DIS Veteran

No suggestions, but I like the idea - winter camping is so much fun!

8. Louisianafive