#Wine&DineHalf: I'm Only Running for the Food & Wine FINISHED

I had been swagbucking extra hard to cover the cost of Marathon...whoop, so far since I got home from W&D I have earned $275 doing my penny apps, plus I had a lot let over from W&D trip that I had registration pretty much covered. SIGH....just stockpiling it for an AMAZING pamper yourself Marathon Weekend.

You are so good at the aps! I haven't Swagbucked much or run since W&D. Light Side is going to be difficult! I have to get back out there this week. The fact that it's frigid isn't helping me at all!

Following along. Sorry to hear about your injury! It's great that you found a doctor who is focused on helping you achieve your goals. Here's to quick healing!

Also, this is seriously impressive:
17 half marathons in the last 2 years and in 2016 have Run/Walked over 2016 miles

Best Day Ever
Friday, November 4

1. Mickey's Holiday 5K

1.JPG

2. Christmas Decorations
I am not a fan of Christmas before December 1st and the only place where this is acceptable is at Disney. I seriously wanted to leap with joy as we walked into Main Street from the tunnel and there was Christmas everywhere!

2.JPG

3. Kicking back on People Mover
It took several attempts to get on one of my favorite rides in the Magic Kingdom, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, aka the People Mover. Not sure why I love this ride so much, but I do. It was down for over an hour and when it was finally operational, the line was HUGE. I don’t think I have ever been on the People Mover when it was not walk on.

4 (2).JPG

4. Mine Ride
On the fateful Frozen PHM trip the only Fast Passes available were at night and by the time we waited around we were COMPLETELY FROZEN which really put a damper on the entire ride, my vow for this trip was to ride it in the DAYLIGHT and see what was around me. I must say the afternoon was a lot more enjoyable than the bitter cold wind in your face. I like the ride, but again it will be one that if there is not a long wait, GREAT count me in but it is not one that I would use a fast pass on again.

3.jpeg

The Mine Ride apparently has magic bags because when you put your sunglasses in you get a different pair out…which I did not realize for some time after.

4.JPG 5.JPG

5. Beach Club

6.JPG

Last edited:
You are so good at the aps! I haven't Swagbucked much or run since W&D. Light Side is going to be difficult! I have to get back out there this week. The fact that it's frigid isn't helping me at all!

I don't know whether I am good at the apps or I just need something to do during my nights when my RLS kicks into high gear. I am going to have one heck of a next RunDisney Trip! You will do awesome at Light Side...you know that you can finish without any worries even if you have to walk more than you want to. You got this girl.

The weather here has been super crazy. Friday we had a record high of near 80 and Saturday we were in the single digits with SNOW and a windchill in the negatives. Thinking that this might really make Dopey training crazy in a few years.

Following along. Sorry to hear about your injury! It's great that you found a doctor who is focused on helping you achieve your goals. Here's to quick healing!

Also, this is seriously impressive:

:welcome: to my little bit of crazy! Thank you for your kind words...it is really nice to have a doctor that understands. Although he did let me know that there is a possibility that I might not run/walk long distances again. I just refuse to hear that part.

I am not sure if it is impressive, so people would say I walk way more than I should in these races...but I am able to finish in the time frame allowed and most of all I really like the ME time. I am feeling a little bummed about my goal of 2017 miles in 2017. I signed up for the challenge last month and now there is no way I will even come close to making 2017 miles if I am out for the full 6 months.

I love all 5!

Personally I love Christmas before December 1st. We usually put up our decor right after thanksgiving. All of my lights I put up are done before thanksgiving but aren't turned on until after.

A line for people over? What is that?!? Lol

Mickey’s Holiday 5K

1 5K Title.JPG

Running to me is not about times (which is good because I am SLOW), but about the experience. I really try to take time when I am running to stop (in my mind, not on the actual course cause that would be bad) and spend a few moments enjoying what I am doing and where I am….even if I am huffing and puffing, my shins are screaming, or I am failing at hitting my intervals/times. Running is about ME time, completely 100% selfish and I have no guilt about it. As I get older, I realize the importance of living for myself at moments. Running gives that to me, and I think that is one reason I love RunDisney 5Ks so much (even if I am FROZEN). The 5K is that race where there is no worry about intervals, times or balloons…it is about having a memorable 3.1 mile walk with friends.

6 group.JPG

Mickey’s Holiday 5K was a great 5K. There really is nothing that I can complain about, other than the long character lines. But from the moment we got on the bus at POFQ to the time that we got on the bus to head back I COMPLETELY LIVED IN EACH FESTIVE MOMENT.

LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO

I loved the Pre Race for the DJ, the snow, and meeting Minnie and Mickey. I hated the long walk from the buses to the staging area and I hated the long character lines (although it does pass the time when you are waiting).

I loved the course for…
  • Animal Kingdom (what a great place to run)
  • Backstage behind Everest (cool to see what it looked like)
  • Beautiful sunrise
  • The characters were great (although I never stop other than fly by selfies…might need to change that for my next RunDisney 5K)
I hated the course for…
  • The mile in the Animal Kingdom parking lot (could have added more than a couple of speakers, but the high school band was great).
  • Narrow area near the bus area (this was a problem also during half, extremely crowded and dangerous with the curb. I think it was due to construction for the most part in that area.
  • The area behind Africa/Yak & Yeti nasty grease smell and very industrial.
25.jpg

Finally, I like shiny stuff like Dory…the BLING is so much better than the rubber medals in the past! We wore our medals out later in the day and some man on a bus pointed out that those were the biggest 5K medals he had ever seen. I love the bling, but even if RunDisney did not have the bling, I would still be there because of the magical experience that only a RunDisney event has.

I had completely forgotten about the sunglasses lol

I am still not finding the humor in the magic sunglass bag...I liked those glasses and the red ones...well....

I love all 5!

Personally I love Christmas before December 1st. We usually put up our decor right after thanksgiving. All of my lights I put up are done before thanksgiving but aren't turned on until after.

A line for people over? What is that?!? Lol

Thanks for adding me as facebook friend...I saw that you had my friend Tink as a friend! I promise I am not some crazy stalker....

I loved seeing your families Christmas lights!

Thanks for adding me as facebook friend...I saw that you had my friend Tink as a friend! I promise I am not some crazy stalker....

I loved seeing your families Christmas lights!
No problem! I have plenty of dis friends on Facebook.

Thanks! Most of the work is done by me.

Now as for that 5K great job! I've always wanted to run through AK and I can't wait to do so during the full. AK is my favorite park. I love the bling too!

Congrats on finishing the 5K! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the race. The video definitely looked like you guys were having a lot of fun.

As much as I kinda miss the more colorful rubber medals ... I have to say, that shiny bling is pretty awesome!

Beach Club
Resort Review

1.jpg
3.jpg 4.JPG

We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do and all your wishes...will come true. My wish for this W&D trip was to stay at the Beach Club, my dream resort, and of course my wish came true when I was able to secure a DVC rental at 11 months.

Resort Rating: 10 out of 10
(okay I might be a tad prejudice since this was a dream resort)

From the moment we walked into the doors of the Beach Club after our afternoon in the Magic Kingdom, I knew I was home. The first thing that hit you is the smell (yes resorts have a smell…Green Clover and Aloe) and peacefulness the pastel beached themed lobby. While the lobby was quite bustling with people it never seemed busy. I could have easily found myself curled up in one of the oversized chairs with a book and enjoyed hours of reading and people watching. The lobby staff was attentive and super friendly. You had a feeling that each time you walked into the lobby that they remembered you. I loved the official greeter or commandant; I am so bad with names. He always struck up a conversation with us each time we saw him.

2.jpg

6.jpg

The pool, Stormalong Bay, lived up to its reputation as the best pool on property and a I will talk more about that on my Saturday Best Moments ever….but the quiet pool is a hidden gem.

9.JPG

I loved the small gift shop and quick food service option, Beach Club Marketplace. One of the things I liked best about the quick service option was there was no designated eating area, instead there were little tables all over the Beach Club inside and out that that you could take your food and sit at. One of my favorite locations was the courtyard area. I loved all the families eating outside and just the peacefulness of the area.

10.jpg

My favorite space was a little sitting area on the main floor of the DVC villa!

5.jpg

Beach Club did not seem like a large resort to me, even when I went in search of our water over at the Yacht Club. And the location to Epcot was literally a 5 minute walk from our DVC room.

7.JPG

8.JPG

I have no idea why these pictures are sideways...sigh​

Beach Club
DVC Studio Villa Rating: 9 out of 10

We rented a DVC Studio Villa for the 3 of us. First of all, our location was just down from the elevator about 6 rooms, so we did not have to walk the endless hallways. I loved the seaside colors of the hallways and of course looking for hidden Mickey’s in the carpet.

1 (2).JPG

The room itself was pretty much like all DVC studio rooms, except that the entrance was a little roomier the way that our room was situated. I love the grey and blue/green/brown tones of the room. Very calming (and clean feeling, unlike the gold at POFQ)…and so much that I plan on doing my bedroom at home in the same colors.

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

We each had our own bed thanks to the Murphy bed and sofa pull out…which was really nice. I took the Murphy bed because of my lack of sleep most nights thanks to my RLS.

5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Our balcony looked into the wooded area between the BC and Epcot. And at night we could see the very top of Illuminations from the balcony. Had we been a couple floors higher, we would have had an amazing view of Illuminations higher fireworks.

10.JPG

I only have 2 very minor complaints about our room...

1. Lack of storage- With the addition of the Murphy bed there is a lack of storage in the room. I guess we could have used the closet off the bathroom for suitcases, but that is a pain. There really are no large chest of drawers to unpack into. I usually don’t like to unpack my suitcase but for longer stays this is a nice option.

2. Trash (partially due to DVC only getting housekeeping services every 4 days and then that is just trash and a laundry basket of bedding/towel)-When you RunDisney is seems like you accumulate a large amount of trash, I need to remember next time to pack a large trash bag so that we do not overflow the trash. It would be nice to have a large trashcan in the closet. I don’t know how people manage who actually cook in their rooms. Again, just minor things that I can live with.

6.JPG

Will I be back? You bet! In fact, DH and I are still mulling over purchasing DVC. We want a very small contract, just enough so I can keep going back every few years and if I can find a BC contract, you know where home will be!

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing the 5K! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the race. The video definitely looked like you guys were having a lot of fun.

As much as I kinda miss the more colorful rubber medals ... I have to say, that shiny bling is pretty awesome!

I am on the fence about the medal change...I love the silver! But that thing is HEAVY and you no longer have the rubber buffer to keep from scratching and clanging your medals around.

That DVC Villa looks so relaxing ... I love the color scheme.

Thanks for the review of Beach Club! I'd love to stay there one day ... I have a few other resorts that are further up on my list (*cough*MK Resorts*cough*), but I've consistently heard such great things about the Beach Club and I really want to stay there some time!!

The characters were great (although I never stop other than fly by selfies…might need to change that for my next RunDisney 5K)

Jan and I decided 5Ks are meant for all the character stops! But we've also adapted a much more relaxed attitude towards Disney races and have slowed down our pace and stopped more often as time goes on so we can really enjoy the race!

I can't help it, I'm still giggling about the magic bag and the new sunglasses, but sad you lost the ones you liked!

Beach Club is on my Disney bucket list. But preferably for a Food & Wine trip. the Contemporary was my dream resort and it was everything I expected it to be. (And now my husband refuses to stay anywhere else...)

Glad you liked BC! I love it as well. I didn't stay in a DVC villa but in a regular room and loved the resort so much. I would be back there in a heartbeat as well.

Friday: Eats & Drinks
Part 1

Breakfast for me came via the 5K RunDisney Box and a banana. Actually ½ of a banana because mine was deformed and had a weird hard black vein running through it…tossing the banana I went directly for the Oreos

1.JPG

and once we were back to the room at POFQ the flats were shouting for the famous tub of cheese and the salty tortilla chips! I have to admit, they are my favorite things in the box too.

2.JPG

I had to run over to POP to deliver some Mickey Ears while Debra and Buffy headed to MK. I was hoping to find that King Cupcake (it has bacon, breakfast food right?) but instead I was forced to settle on the new version of the tie die cheesecake while I waited for a bus to the MK. I much prefer the sliced piece from a few years ago…but it was a nice little treat.

3.JPG

Be Our Guest was on the menu for lunch and there was no decision making needed as we preordered…

5.JPG
4.JPG
6.JPG

French Onion Soup (not nearly as yummy as last trip, this one was cold on the inside and had was almost all onion with little broth, sandwich (my favorite…love the crusty chewy French bread and the zing of the horseradish dressing). For dessert one must go with the Master’s Cupcake…trust me the grey stuff is delicious although we all mentioned how little this cupcake has become in size. I think the Beast must be shrinking the cupcakes. It still is my 2nd favorite cupcake at WDW.

8.JPG

9.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

I loved how the Christmas had come to Beast’s castle and of course that darn Lumiere was everywhere we turned reminding us that we did have 19.3 more miles to go.

UGH...the picture thing is driving me crazy!!! I am so sorry about sideways pictures!

Friday: Eats & Drinks
Part 2

Before leaving the MK later we stopped for a Dole Whip, I love the new location and the shorter lines because of it!

IMG_0452.JPG

The one eating mistake of the trip was made at Beaches and Cream that evening for dinner. And no we did not have the kitchen sink, although several tables around us did and did not share. I had been dreaming of the grilled cheese and tomato bisque.

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG

It did not disappoint, but NEVER NEVER AGAIN will I have onion rings the night before a race. I don’t know who at the table said they sounded good, but we all ended up ordering them and they did not mix with a 10K the next morning, for any of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter