Wine and Dine 2015

@ ban26ana 1 minute of running to 1.5 minutes of walking is awesome! Speed will come, the important thing is that you are putting in the work and effort. Keep up the good work and keep your eyes on the prize!

That's what I'm working up to. My 1/2 PR a couple weeks ago was 1min run, 2min walk. And that gets me a 2:55:00 1/2 time. Unrealistically I've had my intervals set to 1 and 1 for the past year. And I would lose stamina and start skipping my run intervals around mile 9 or 10. I can do a 10K at that pace, but not a 1/2. Not yet. I'm hoping to drop my walk to the 1.5min for Tinkerbell. I keep working on my speed intervals but what I need to concentrate on is actually my endurance. Then I can focus on speed.

Any tips for endurance training?

Not Wine & dine relate but super excited and wanted o share. Great day yesterday. Signed up for my first mud/ obstacle run with 5 GF's and my 10YO son had his first running club 5K training yesterday that I am helping his PE teacher with. I was fun, looking forward to running with these kids over the next few weeks..

Not Wine & dine relate but super excited and wanted o share. Great day yesterday. Signed up for my first mud/ obstacle run with 5 GF's and my 10YO son had his first running club 5K training yesterday that I am helping his PE teacher with. I was fun, looking forward to running with these kids over the next few weeks..
A mud run sounds like so much fun! My 8 y/o daughter has said she wants to get into running. She's super fast. But she gives up on things at the drop of a hat. I'd love for her to stick to running and have it be something we can do together.

I got a reply back from the race director of my 10K on Saturday and he eased my mind a bit. He said to get there early as parking sucks, lol, that there are 2 water stops (2mi and 4.25mi, same spot) and no porta potties on course, only at race start/finish. And that there will be food/drinks at the end. Just didn't say what. And he assured me that I will have fun! :)

I got a reply back from the race director of my 10K on Saturday and he eased my mind a bit. He said to get there early as parking sucks, lol, that there are 2 water stops (2mi and 4.25mi, same spot) and no porta potties on course, only at race start/finish. And that there will be food/drinks at the end. Just didn't say what. And he assured me that I will have fun! :)

glad you got the info you needed, first races can be a slightly terrifying experience no matter who you are. Sadly the way race info is given out really depends on who is running the race I've been lucky in that most of the races I have run have been awesome about giving out every bit of info one could hope for. For a 10k you really shouldn't need on course portapotties just make sure you use them before the start and you should be good, as for the water stops it depends on how you hydrate during training and if you have a way to bring your own water that you are used to or not, I know me personally I like to take a drink at every mile (and most races don't have that many water stops) so if im running longer than a 5k I usually bring my hydration belt id rather have to much water than not enough and I run all my training runs with my belt so im used to running with it. I think someone else already mentioned this but visualize yourself succeeding and you will do great, treat your last training run before your race as a practice race (keep your pace down but imagine that you are running your race) and picture yourself crossing that finish line you'll be amazed at what it can do for your pre race jitters ....GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Does anyone know if there will be buses from the Finish Line Party to the start of the race? My DF is going down with his family and he wants to hang out with them at Epcot before the race. I told him that he could walk over to BW and catch a bus with us. I don't think he would want to take a cab.

Does anyone know if there will be buses from the Finish Line Party to the start of the race? My DF is going down with his family and he wants to hang out with them at Epcot before the race. I told him that he could walk over to BW and catch a bus with us. I don't think he would want to take a cab.

The are busses from EPCOT to race. I am staying at non host and that is how I am getting to starting line

"THERE WILL BE NO PARKING AND NO GUEST DROP-OFF AT ESPN WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS COMPLEX ON RACE EVENING." (as per the 2014 W&D Program, and yes, they were yelling it :)) They might not even let a taxi drop you off at Wide World of Sports, after the Expo closing; that was 3:00 p.m., last year. I think they really try to clear the WWoS area after the EXPO closes. Oh, another thing, "Event transportation will be suspended between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on Saturday due to road closures and race start."

Last years program:
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wine-dine/2014/W&D14_Program_Online.pdf

The are busses from EPCOT to race. I am staying at non host and that is how I am getting to starting line

While this is true, please be aware that the last bus to leave the Epcot parking lot will be around 8pm. And the purchased after party tickets can get in as early as 7pm, I am not sure the same can be said about our bib tickets.

How many days are you running? The key to increasing endurance is to do more. Speed has no bearing in developing endurance. So add miles wherever you can. Add another day of running, add more miles to existing runs - whatever works for you. The BEST results come from adding distance to your longest runs. This is because those runs do more "damage" to muscle tissue that has to be repaired, which helps with your endurance.

How many days are you running? The key to increasing endurance is to do more. Speed has no bearing in developing endurance. So add miles wherever you can. Add another day of running, add more miles to existing runs - whatever works for you. The BEST results come from adding distance to your longest runs. This is because those runs do more "damage" to muscle tissue that has to be repaired, which helps with your endurance.
My normal weekly routine was following Galloway Dopey training so Tues/Thurs evening was 45 minutes which was about 3 1/2 miles or so. And then an increasing distance on saturday. Followed by double that distance on Sunday.

My normal weekly routine was following Galloway Dopey training so Tues/Thurs evening was 45 minutes which was about 3 1/2 miles or so. And then an increasing distance on saturday. Followed by double that distance on Sunday.

I hate the Galloway plan because it really does not prepare someone for the beating that their legs are going to take in the Dopey. You are going to run 4 days in a row for the Dopey, but you never run 4 days in a row during the training. That is crazy.

My advice - go up to 4 days/week running, with back to back run days every week. If you can, go up to 5 days/week for a few weeks before you reach your taper. You will see results in your endurance, which will help in every other aspect of your running. Your "base" is the most important thing in running, and you should reach a 25 miles/week base as early in your training as possible.

That's what I'm working up to. My 1/2 PR a couple weeks ago was 1min run, 2min walk. And that gets me a 2:55:00 1/2 time. Unrealistically I've had my intervals set to 1 and 1 for the past year. And I would lose stamina and start skipping my run intervals around mile 9 or 10. I can do a 10K at that pace, but not a 1/2. Not yet. I'm hoping to drop my walk to the 1.5min for Tinkerbell. I keep working on my speed intervals but what I need to concentrate on is actually my endurance. Then I can focus on speed.

For the half I ran on the 14th, this is the training program I used:

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

Now, it's basically like the Galloway program except it gives you distances instead of times for your weekday runs. In retrospect, I really wish I'd taken the cross-training more seriously (I kinda slacked off on that or would ride my bike to the pub or a friends house and write that off as Cross Training).

I'm ultimately following a plan I smashed together that goes Disneyland Half - Wine & Dine - WDW Full (they all pretty much line up well), and am doing weights and cross-training at the gym three days a week as well (Sunday is my only 'off' day). I can already tell a difference in my stamina! I think my ultimate goal is to ditch the intervals (I just don't really like them) and focus on trying to run through as much as I can and take walk breaks when I need to.

I hate the Galloway plan because it really does not prepare someone for the beating that their legs are going to take in the Dopey. You are going to run 4 days in a row for the Dopey, but you never run 4 days in a row during the training. That is crazy.

My advice - go up to 4 days/week running, with back to back run days every week. If you can, go up to 5 days/week for a few weeks before you reach your taper. You will see results in your endurance, which will help in every other aspect of your running. Your "base" is the most important thing in running, and you should reach a 25 miles/week base as early in your training as possible.

The T/Th/Sa/Su . That's just the initial warm up period. Once you get into November and December of the training then it adds on a Day 3 in a row, and a 4th day near the end. I thought it did well for the most part as I completed Dopey this year. Of course it also has you run a full marathon in December, and I want the full distance to be on event rather than before. So I modified the training to make a 24 miler be the end of a 4 day in a row training that starts the taper.

I will increase my mileage and days and see what happens. :)

I walked at 3 mph and ran at 5 mph. I know it's slow for most people, but it's an accomplishment for me. I'm in the obese category of BMI, so I'm working on being a better me. Today really helped in the confidence area! My intervals were 1 minute of running, 1.5 minutes walking.

Hey, I only run/walk a little bit faster than you (about 5.5 run and 3.5 walk) and I'm average BMI and have been running off and on for 5 years. Great job!

The T/Th/Sa/Su . That's just the initial warm up period. Once you get into November and December of the training then it adds on a Day 3 in a row, and a 4th day near the end. I thought it did well for the most part as I completed Dopey this year. Of course it also has you run a full marathon in December, and I want the full distance to be on event rather than before. So I modified the training to make a 24 miler be the end of a 4 day in a row training that starts the taper.

I will increase my mileage and days and see what happens. :)

Thanks for the clarification - I have gone all the way to a 30 miler in preparation for a marathon in the past and was not impressed with the results. I agree that 24 miles is more than enough in training as long as you are running enough total miles/week at that point. I am also training for the 2016 Dopey and plan on peaking at 22-24 miles.

I've not run Dopey, so can't speak to that part, but I can say I don't have a base of 25 miles/week, more like 15-18. I'm no speed demon to be sure, but that amount of running has allowed me to complete 5 halfs and 4 fulls (including a Goofy Challenge). I think the amount of mileage that someone runs is highly variable depending on the individual's abilities, age, fitness and their goal for the race. If we are talking about building up endurance to be able to sustain Galloway interval running for a half marathon, then 25 miles per week as a base is more than is likely necessary (and for me as a 50-year old woman could be a recipe for injury) if your goal is simply to complete the race and remain injury-free. Now, if you are training for a marathon/Goofy/Dopey event, then the base miles would need to be higher. I also think if you have a time-goal that is important to you, than an increase in miles along with a plan to increase pace is essential as well but that's different than just a plan to increase endurance and finish a half marathon.

And as has been said on this forum many times, "we are all an experiment of one" and what works for me may not work for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter