wind blowin',sun shinin',Soarin'on a magical celebration!April/10: Final thoughts!

Connie, great updates on Universal. We've not done the Islands of Adventure side since 2000 (we just aren't the roller coaster type anymore)...they've added a lot in that time. Love the pics of Ashton with the Grinch.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day at IOA!! You have some great photos, too. I can't wait to hear about your day at Universal!!

I love your IOA day. I want to go there. I of course want to see Harry Potter World too, but I hear it is really busy. It's been over 10 years since Ive been to Universal and IOA was being built last I was there.
Interesting to see your take on the mail plan. I hear alot of people don't think it's worht it. Does everyone in your party have to have it?

I love your IOA day. I want to go there. I of course want to see Harry Potter World too, but I hear it is really busy. It's been over 10 years since Ive been to Universal and IOA was being built last I was there.
Interesting to see your take on the mail plan. I hear alot of people don't think it's worht it. Does everyone in your party have to have it?
No it is purchased on an individual basis.

On our second day Danny and the boys bought one and my parents, Gwendolyn, Joe and myself just did OOP.

To me the only thing that made it worth it on our first day was when we added the $6 for the citywalk add on. Now, Dayne and Luke got their money's worth...I just don't see how they could eat while riding all those rollercoasters. But, if you figure to eat an early lunch (around 10:30 when they start serving-which is what we did) and an early dinner(we picked up fries for Ashton a few times and he had the tenders around 3:00- the boys had eaten again right before we left IOA and again that night) you figure that is two meals than it comes to the same thing.You have to eat twice to get your money's worth..now the drink cup for $8.99 was well worth it! We bought one cup for Danny, Ashton, and I and each time we passed a station we refilled it.

I would think in the warmer months it would definately be worth it but only if you don't mind doing the counter service meals. We are not a family who goes to WDW, IOA/US to eat so counter service works for us. We can normally find enough variety to make it through the week. So, I think it really depends on how much you plan to eat while in the park and if you plan to stick with the counter service meals.

Connie, great updates on Universal. We've not done the Islands of Adventure side since 2000 (we just aren't the roller coaster type anymore)...they've added a lot in that time. Love the pics of Ashton with the Grinch.
Kathy, IOA is fun with Ashton in the Seuss landing area and I love Spider Man but other than that I can really do with out it. Now, I can't wait to visit Harry Potter, I was so disappointed that it was not open when we went. To me I would be better with a park to park one day ticket and take Ashton to SEaworld...that is my plan for next go round (whenever that may be?!?)

Sounds like you had a wonderful day at IOA!! You have some great photos, too. I can't wait to hear about your day at Universal!!

We had a great day at IOA and it was great not having a crowded park this year. Last year we managed to hit the park with all the school groups. We were able to get our fill on all our favorite attractions!

PRICING, PRICING, PRICING...
as some of you may know I have been pricing and researching different islands to visit for our anniversary next year. It will be our 25th anniversary on June 6, 2011. So, our orginial plan was Hawaii but Wendy had mentioned Bora Bora so that started the research....:surfweb:

than, we heard the news that Avondale Shipyard is closing in the next two years. The company Danny works for is subcontracted in the yard as well as many outside jobs. The problem is there main source of income is the shipyard it keeps the company in the green year round when outside work is slow. Now, Danny has been assured he would be one of the last people to be affected by this but it is just a very scary situation all the same.

Therefore, we figured it is not a very smart time for us to drop between 7K and 10K on a vacation.

So, we have changed our visions to the Eastern Caribbean; Danny has wanted to visit Key West and the Virgin Islands since the 90's (his brother had worked on one of the islands and we could not afford to even get a flight out the two years he was there--Danny's brother is deceased and he told me recently he still thinks of traveling to the island).

I have been pricing out crusies to the Eastern Caribbean my thought has been to drive to WDW for four days than a cruise out of Port Carnavial. So, far the DCL has not been a top runner the prices are just too high for us to consider a WDW trip and a cruise. Now, if we do just the cruise...

Well, Danny now has said he thinks he may want to just fly to an island and stay at an all inclusive resort...boy does that throw a wrench in the entire research.

we are planning to travel in the beginning of Spring in order to beat the summer rush and heat...

so, that is the current planning status for 2011...

The wrap-up of your IOA day sounds like so much fun. Ashton got to do all the fun little boy things and the big kids enjoyed the big kid rides.:laughing:

The Jurassic Park area looks like a place Noah would love to see. Dinosaurs are a fav of his, he even has the shirt that Ashton has on!

Thanks for the info on the restaurants. Latin Quarter sure sounds yummy. Have to make a note on that one. Don't know about the meal plan though. The cups sound like a good deal though.

Liked the sneak peak at the room, looked very nice.

I'm sure Danny and you will have an amazing anniversary vacay wherever you decide to go:goodvibes. All the options sounds like good ones. Chris and I thought about disney and then cruise, but I think we have decided on just disney. I really would like to go to the eastern caribbean, one day.

Your Ioa day looks like so much fun! I'm glad Ashton liked Spider Man. I think it's my favorite ride there along with Hulk. We've never gotten to go on that raft ride. It's been closed both times we've gone.

Great updates Connie! Ashton looks like he is having a BLAST at Seuss Landing! What a cutie! ;)

I still say try to talk Danny into a cruise....cruises to the Eastern Caribbean are fairly reasonable and you get to see more than one place. Can't wait to see how this planning turns out!

So sad for this report to end..... :sad2:

Connie, you and I are so much alike.....always trying to figure out a way to get out of town. Hey, you can never have too many vacations. I think I'd still try and talk Danny into a cruise. You may just be able to convince him that's the way to go. I know I priced out quite a few that left from New Orleans and Mobile and was happy with the prices.

Hey everyone!
To me the cruise is the way to go; so we can see the different islands. At first I told Danny we can just veg on all the different beaches if that is what you are looking for and than we would be able to add all those locations to our seen that done that list! :rotfl2: and that being on a ship offers us the luxury of not having to worry about food and the inclusive things like that?!? so, now he is on a kick of finding an all inclusive resort on some island...he was saying Mexico but I told him NO...think again, been there! not intereseted in Mexico or Jamicia at this time.

Lisa, the way to go for us is to sail out of New Orleans but than I can't sneak the disney part into the planning:laughing: :mickeyjum

also, been thinking of just trying to talk him into a spring WDW trip just the three of us and than a cruise the two of us...

thinking, thinking, :rolleyes1

Hey everyone!
To me the cruise is the way to go; so we can see the different islands. At first I told Danny we can just veg on all the different beaches if that is what you are looking for and than we would be able to add all those locations to our seen that done that list! :rotfl2: and that being on a ship offers us the luxury of not having to worry about food and the inclusive things like that?!? so, now he is on a kick of finding an all inclusive resort on some island...he was saying Mexico but I told him NO...think again, been there! not intereseted in Mexico or Jamicia at this time.

Lisa, the way to go for us is to sail out of New Orleans but than I can't sneak the disney part into the planning:laughing: :mickeyjum

also, been thinking of just trying to talk him into a spring WDW trip just the three of us and than a cruise the two of us...

thinking, thinking, :rolleyes1

I am definitely going to talk John into taking a cruise someday. The only time he has ever shown any interest in a cruise was when I was researching a Disney cruise. Not that I'm complaining about that.;)

I don't remember what the free dining dates were but did they include any dates in Spring? That might save ya'll some money.

Lisa~ I would love to do a Disney cruise...the cost w/Ashton free is the same as a 7 day cruise and 5 day in WDW...so, if I went DCL it would only be DCL.
My dad (who if you remember goes on a lot of cruises/at least two a year). Told me the best way to gauge the value of a cruise is no more than $100 pp per day. So, as a good little dgt that is my goal and really have found a lot of great deals...too many to be honest :rolleyes1
Just as an FYI he and mom both said the best cruise they have been on was to Alaska and than the Panama Canal (but that is a 14 day one). They are flying to Spain next Oct and taking a 14 day cruise back to the states. They wanted up to go with them but the flight for the three of us...OMG!:scared1: not happening.

Shannon~ you know I have not thought about Atlantis in a while; I had really like the way it looked when I first started hearing about it. I'll need to relook into it. If we do bring Ashton along that might be the way to do both what Danny and I want. We could fly into Orlando do Disney and than fly to the Bahamas...another thought....:rolleyes1

My bro-in-law and his family went stayed at the Atlantis this past June. They said it was absolutely beautiful but it was super duper high. The cost to stay there wasn't that bad but it was expensive to do anything. They bought two slices of pizza and two drinks for their little kids and it cost $35.00. They said the other stuff to do around the area was expensive too. All they did was laze around the resort.

Alaska is AWESOME. I loved every second of it- and that's where I got Isis! Though- I'm not sure what months the Alaska cruises are active.

A cruise is a great way to see different places and it sure is nice knowing your food and fun on the ship is paid for. Of course, there are a few things that will cost on the ship, but nothing you can't plan for.

Hope you can figure out a way to fit in a disney trip too. You could take a carnival or even royal caribbean cruise and also have a few days in disney for about the same price as the DCL.

Great pics at IOA! Especially Seuss Landing!

Glad to hear Ashton liked Spiderman. :goodvibes I know my nephew would like it now that he's old enough to go on it. It's such a fantastic ride!

Sorry to hear about the shipyard. I'm sure whatever yall decide for the anniversary trip will be great! I selfishly hope it includes DCL so I can live vicariously through you! ;)

Atlantis is VERY expensive. I have looked into it as well. Flight for us to get there were NOT reasonable at all, and it's not an all inclusive resort, and the food prices were VERY high. I think they have a meal package you can buy, but it looked like not alot of food for the cost. It's been awhile since I looked at it though. I would love to go there, but the price just didn't seem good no matter how I did it.

Cruises are great, but so is an all inclusive resort. All inclusive includes drinks too, which a cruise does not. Now I'm not a heavy drinker by any means, but I like to have a fruity drink here and there on vacation, and it was nice to have them covered in t he cost...and to eat whenever I wanted to.

Connie, just stopping in to say goodbye and I'll catch up with your report when we get back. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter