wind blowin',sun shinin',Soarin'on a magical celebration!April/10: Final thoughts!

Hi Connie! :goodvibes I love what Ashton said about the sword and the hot dog. Sounds just like some little girls I know. Right after Lindsey's first BBB visit, there she stood on the stairs of the Mexico Pavilion all BBB'ed up, screaming at the top of her lungs that I didn't love her and was so mean because I wouldn't buy her a noise maker inside the temple. I just laughed at her and let her have her meltdown (she was 6). I just kept thinking to myself, you are upset that I won't buy you a $5 trinket and I just spent $200 turning you into an ingrateful princess. REALLY??? :lmao: Kids, right?

She would never do that now, it was just the age and immaturity. Anyway, I'm sorry that people were rude while you were exiting. We have had a stroller incident or two ourselves. We figure, if you're rude and stupid enough to cut off a stroller, you deserve to get banged into. ;) Don't worry about it girl. Hope you have a great weekend my friend! I miss ya!! :hug:
Hi! Leanne
welcome back! missed you too...I, too, have been MIA on alot of threads...

my poor little Ashton was so tired from the long day and than the swim, I think we were at the point of his trip that he needed a day just to recoup :cutie:...I just felt bad for Dad, mom buys Ashton so much stuff all the time that dad's regular slogan is "poor Ashton". He bought the sword and told him all proud "look what Pops found for you". :rotfl2:

Hope you guys have a great weekend! and a great CA trip...can't wait to hear all about it!

Sorry Ashton missed Spectro. All the poor boy needed was his hot dog and some sleep!:rotfl2: My kids do the same thing when they are tired, scream for food. Some attitudes you just have to chalk up to being exhausted.

Horrible idea on the buses by disney. Getting out is bad enough, but to have every bus in one location:scared1:. Speaking of strollers, I ran over a few people, not on purpose, but I don't think some realize how hard it is to stop a stroller, especially one that weighs about 80 pounds with 2 kids in it. I know I must have said alteast once (or three hundred times) that if you step directly in front of a stroller you deserve to get run over. (all under my breath, of course.)

Yay for universal up next!:dance3:
hey Ashley!
you know its funny that you say that about being tired and hungry...both Ashton and Dayne (when he was younger) whenever they are overly tired, no matter how much they may have eaten earlier are always hungry...I have always thought they were getting the feeling of exhustion mixed up :rotfl2:

normally, Danny and I would have tried to hang back and let it clear out but mom & dad had started rolling out before we could catch up...I know if I would have told mom let's take our time through the shops she would have been more than happy to obilge ;)

Connie, sorry I missed this update last night (went to bed early because I had to have Mark at the hospital at 6 a.m. for his heart procedure today). I think your pictures of Spectro turned out fine. I'm sorry about the bus situation (this is one of the many reasons we prefer to drive to and from the parks...don't have to deal with that at the end of the night).

Can't wait for the next update.
Oh! boy Kathy you are going to be in ther magic in a week! :mickeyjum
also very happy Mark did well and just needs to get a little rest before you guys hit the parks! Danny never wants to take the truck...we should have gone sit down on a bench and people watched for a bit...the bus lines themselves moved quick it was to get to our station through the hoards of people...but just about all the resorts had two busses loading at a time with two more waiting in the wings it was a sight to behold that is for certain!

I just really think that was horrible judgement on the part of the transportation director of the evening :sad:

I love Spectromagic! I'm sorry your night ended badly, though. :sad1:
I can't wait to read about Universal/IOA!

OH my gosh! What a crazy bus story! I would have been so upset.

Can't wait to hear if you like Universal.

Finally catching up Connie!

Great updates! I have to say, I may politely but firmly suggest to DMIL to take a hike (obviously not with those exact words :rolleyes2) if she drives me bonkers like I am anticipating.

Great use of a teachable moment with Ashton, at least he remembered it then hopefully he still does now. :goodvibes I don't think I am going to do laundry while we are down there, but I will have stuff just in case. There is just something unappealing about doing laundry on vacation...:rolleyes:

I would had a hard time keeping my mouth shut if people kept jumping in front of me. What is it with rude adults at Disney? Hello, you are in one of the most magical spots--be nice!! Is that too much to ask for? :confused3

Looking forward to reading about IOA day. :goodvibes

I always hang back too. I hate leaving with the hoards of people. You get no where fast.

Can't wait to hear about Universal

I love Spectromagic! I'm sorry your night ended badly, though. :sad1:
I can't wait to read about Universal/IOA!
Hi! April
it really was a bad way to end the night...but, it was still as always a magical experience overall...
OH my gosh! What a crazy bus story! I would have been so upset.

Can't wait to hear if you like Universal.
Hi Katie,
it was crazy; I really hope the guys working that night did some complaining to who ever came up with that poor decision

Finally catching up Connie!

Great updates! I have to say, I may politely but firmly suggest to DMIL to take a hike (obviously not with those exact words :rolleyes2) if she drives me bonkers like I am anticipating.

Great use of a teachable moment with Ashton, at least he remembered it then hopefully he still does now. :goodvibes I don't think I am going to do laundry while we are down there, but I will have stuff just in case. There is just something unappealing about doing laundry on vacation...:rolleyes:

I would had a hard time keeping my mouth shut if people kept jumping in front of me. What is it with rude adults at Disney? Hello, you are in one of the most magical spots--be nice!! Is that too much to ask for? :confused3

Looking forward to reading about IOA day. :goodvibes
Hey Steph!
I find people are getting ruder and ruder everywhere these days. I told Danny yesterday it seems like everyone is always in such a hurry...it is a very sorry circumstance for the new generations....

I always hang back too. I hate leaving with the hoards of people. You get no where fast.

Can't wait to hear about Universal

I can promise you we will be hanging back next time. or do like I planned and catch the parade at the end so we can walk out at the tail end of it all and miss the crowd that gathers at the beginning...

Universal coming up!

On Thursday morning we woke up around 6:30 finished packing, Danny and the kids loaded up the truck and van. I ran to the POP century store to pick up my traditional souvie a photo album for the year and a necklace for Chloe. Danny picked me up by the door and with a very heavy heart we were off...

we arrived and checked into the Royal Pacific Resort...
universal2010200.jpg

universal2010202.jpg

our rooms were ready!:cool1: so, we brought up all our stuff did the quick restroom break and headed off to Islands of Adventure (this is Danny and the older kids FAVORITE park in Orlando--now, Dayne and Gwendolyn both love WDW but if they could only do one park it would be IOA).

we made it to the gates around 9:30 and we were very excited to have the Express passes that come with staying at the RPR. The crowds were very low and we were very excited about that as well.

We had decided to purchase the Meal Plan for the day...at Universal you can purchase a meal plan for 19.99 and a drink cup for 8.99. You have a choice of three resturants in each park which normally serves your traditional counter service meals. Burgers, fried chicken, pizza, asian food...each one of the three resturants serves a different flavor of food...it is all you care to eat while in the park (this is a great plan for teenage boys who eat alot; but, if you are there for the shorter hour days it is really not worth it). Now, we added the 6.99 package to eat at one of the resturants (on the list) at Citywalk THIS WAS WORTH IT! it made the entire meal deal worth it!!!

We decided to start with Suess Landing and work our way around the park; we had lunch at Circus McGuricus (sp) they serve fried chicken, burgers, pasta...Ashton and I shared the chicken plate w/mashed potatos and a dessert; Danny had a chicken sandwich w/fries, Gwendolyn & Joe shared a chicken salad all the food was very good for being a counter service resturant.

Ashton loves Suess Landing last year while we were there he and I just would make a circle of all the attractions and ride over and over again. We did the same on this day (after we had made our way around the park with our entire family). After we had circled the park and visited all the attractions, my parents decided to go back to the resort, the older kids and Danny decided to stay on the left side of the park, and Ashton and I hit suess Landing for Suessical adventures...

so, on to the photos of the day...
oH! BTW Ashton was able to ride Spider Man and the spinning cups and he loved both...he really enjoyed Spider Man so much so that is the attraction he chose to end the day on...

cont...photos of the day...

universal2010001.jpg

universal2010003.jpg

universal2010006.jpg

universal2010008.jpg

universal2010010.jpg

Hint: for one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...follow the directions of the song that is playing if you do not want to get sprayed!
universal2010017.jpg

universal2010013.jpg

universal2010018.jpg

Oh another neat note; in Suess Landing not one tree is straight, when building the area they were sure to find trees that were growing crooked!
universal2010020.jpg

universal2010024.jpg

exicted to ride the Trolley in the Sky! one if his favorites...
universal2010025.jpg

universal2010027.jpg

universal2010030.jpg

I love when he first eats these; he always starts out thinking it is ice cream :confused3
universal2010031.jpg

waiting for the cafe to open for lunch
universal2010036.jpg

universal2010037.jpg

universal2010038.jpg

universalioa2009041.jpg

universalioa2009045.jpg

a shot from last year on the Trolley in the Sky inside Circus McGuirkus (sp)
universalioa2009040.jpg

this year riding the Trolley in the Sky
universal2010072.jpg

universal2010076.jpg

universalioa2009039.jpg

universal2010032.jpg

up next the rest of our walk through Islands of Adventure...

Yay Universal has started! (not that I wasn't excited about Disney, just am happy to get more info on US:laughing:) IOA looked so empty, bet it isn't that way anymore now that HP is open. So, Circus McGurkus was good, writing that down. I think they have gone up on the meal deal, but we still must eat. I think the kids will really like Suess Landing. Such a cute picture of Ashton on the carousel!

Yay Universal has started! (not that I wasn't excited about Disney, just am happy to get more info on US:laughing:) IOA looked so empty, bet it isn't that way anymore now that HP is open. So, Circus McGurkus was good, writing that down. I think they have gone up on the meal deal, but we still must eat. I think the kids will really like Suess Landing. Such a cute picture of Ashton on the carousel!
WE were there on a Thursday in April so it was pretty slow. There were a number of large conventions at the hotel going on...in fact the parks were open that night one for grad night and the other for a private party.

All the food we ate was decent really could not complain. It is pretty standard as I mentioned. Your children will love Seuss Landing it is so fun just to walk around. Ashton loves it and would mention his books at home at he was riding some of the attractions.

Moving forward! join me on a photo montage of as we work our way around the park...

universal2010033.jpg

on our way to 'Posideion"s Fury"
WARNING: this is a very intense attraction; this scared the hebe jebee's out of Ashton last year and he was not that thrilled with it again this year... sorry no photos of the chamber it is a pretty dark attraction...
universal2010034.jpg

universal2010035.jpg

views of Hogwarts as we wandered through to the next land...
universal2010042.jpg

universal2010043.jpg

universal2010044.jpg

We made our way to Juarrasic Park --Danny and the older kids went to ride the attraction. Ashton, my parents and I went on a dinosaur exploration
(this is also where another of their meal deal resturants can be found- well Ashton was hungry and for some reason so was my parents. So, Ashton and I shared a chicken tenders basket and they each had a burger. They loved the add on station here they had everything to add to a burger. The food here is pretty standard burgers, onion rings, chicken tenders...you get the picture--again decent).
Ashton loves to run around and explore this area...
universal2010046.jpg

universal2010047.jpg

universal2010048.jpg

universal2010050.jpg

universal2010051.jpg

from here we made our way through toon lagoon...
we talked Danny and the older kids to wait to ride the two attractions here until after we rode Spider Man; so, we made our way to Spider Man
we love this ride! from there we rode the spinning cups...
after this mom and dad decided to go back to the resort, Danny and the older kids rode the Hulk a few times and back tracked to Toon Lagoon and pretty much stayed on that side of the park for the remainder of the day. Ashton and I went back to Suess Landing and spent the remainder of our day there...

OH! NO!!! Ashton your sinking...
universal2010059.jpg

universal2010057.jpg

I think this will help!?!
universal2010060.jpg

having some comic strip fun...
universal2010061.jpg

continued...

as we made our way back to Seuss Landing we ran into a few of Ashton's friends...

universal2010063.jpg

universal2010065.jpg

Ashton was so funny with the Grinch! this guy stayed in character and Ashton just did not get it...
universal2010066.jpg

universal2010068.jpg

universal2010069.jpg

and they were nice enough to put on a show for us and a few other guests!
(I'm sorry I had a video clip but I lost it...I am so bummed when the computer crashed I lost the video's of Spectro and this story time)
universal2010097.jpg

universal2010091.jpg

universal2010107.jpg

and than they come out to meet their fans
universal2010106.jpg

universal2010101.jpg

universal2010108.jpg

universal2010110.jpg

Ashton and this Grinch seemed to get along a little better...
universal2010099.jpg

universal2010098.jpg

and off we went to explore some more...
universal2010112.jpg

universal2010113.jpg

universal2010115.jpg

after riding everything here a few dozen times (the Express passes were wonderful but, without them would have been fine on this day the regular lines were moving very fast!)
we walked through the Dr Seuss bookstore (I wish I would have allocated about $150 to buy some of the books we don't have--they have ALL Dr. Seuss books in stock)
Danny had called and told us they were Toon Lagoon and to walk over...so, we did!
continued...

upon entering Toon Lagoon this is what we found
universal2010116.jpg

(Ashley and anyone interested in the meal deal resturants; the thrid one can be found in Toon Lagoon it serves all the regulars, also pizza, and asian influnced food-- I remember I had the beef and broccoli in 2009 it was tasty; again as I said the food is decent for being counter service we were fine with the choices we made at all three in the two years we visited)
can you find our wet crew...
universal2010122.jpg

Ashton found a ship to explore...
universal2010125.jpg

this was scary for me the slide is a two story thing, I was up at the top when he wanted to slide so I told him to wait at the top and I would call him when I got to the bottom of the slide--I was alone with him and I did not want him to wander out of the ship...what did he do?!? he slid down just as I was getting off the stairs.
universal2010131.jpg

Danny and the guys just kept riding this over and over..they were not even getting off would just go for another round...they must have rode this thing about 20 times...
universal2010130.jpg

well, of course the park was closing shortly and the guys were ready to go and find some dry clothes...but, Ashton wanted to ride Spider Man again. So, on the walk out we were able to get two more spins with the Spidy...
universal2010132.jpg

universal2010134.jpg

from here we made our way out of the park, through a few gift shops of course...and caught a boat for the resort. It was probably about 7 we were off to get showers and cleaned up to have dinner at one of the resturants
that honored the $6 add on for dinner. (I believe there was like five choices).

Quick shot of our dis-shevled room
universal2010138.jpg

our view...
universal2010137.jpg

and unfortuantely this was pretty much Ashton's dinner; along with some crackers
universal2010139.jpg

he did not make it to dinner, he fell asleep on the boat on the way over to City Walk. So, where did we dine...well, it was a little before 9 by the time we made it to CityWalk (this was the first time we encountered a wait and a large number of people--while waiting for the boat). We were going to try out Pat O's (since we have one here at home and it does not offer food it is a jazz and piano bar only) but, you can not get in after 9 under 21. So, we tried the Latin Quarter...I really wish I would have taken pictures. You are given a special menu along with the regular menu...we all figured it would be small portions due the amount of money we paid for this add on...well, let me tell you...

we ordered and paid OOP for beef nachos (this was a meal in itself we ordered two and we were just about all full from just these two appetizers)
my mom, Luke, and myself ordered the chicken pasta it was awesome! and sooooo much food, Dayne ordered the chicken tenders surprise (we saved a few and fries for Ashton for when he woke up--didn't happen), and Danny and my dad ordered the house special of pork loin...it was this huge mound of pork tenderlion medalions w/gravy and garlic mashed potatoes...all the food was delicious!!!! this is a must try for anyone eating at Citywalk. Definately different from the syndicated resturants that you find around the country.

From here we walked our food off a little by walking briefly around Citywalk, the boys and Gwendolyn & Joe walked around. We caught the boat back the resort and hit the sheets for a much needed and relaxing sleep...

up next, our last day of adventure
Unversial Studios!

Goodness Connie! You've been on an installment roll the last few days. I just now got caught up again.:laughing:

Pacific Royal Resort looks absolutely beautiful. Is that the one that you were able to book with the pin that I sent to you?

All of the pictures of Universal are great. We haven't been to Universal in years and year and years. I think Hunter was 2 or 3 the last time we went.

Sorry to be MIA for so long! What a fun day at IOA!! I did a lot of the same things as you at that park. The first Grinch we saw was stubborn, too-- he wouldn't even look at the camera! The second one was much nicer! Isn't the Dr. Seuss and company show cute? We met the characters in the same spot. Emily loved seeing Thing 1 and 2.
I love the cartoon theme area.
Sounds like Ashton was pooped after a long day.

Goodness Connie! You've been on an installment roll the last few days. I just now got caught up again.:laughing:

Pacific Royal Resort looks absolutely beautiful. Is that the one that you were able to book with the pin that I sent to you?

All of the pictures of Universal are great. We haven't been to Universal in years and year and years. I think Hunter was 2 or 3 the last time we went.
I was given a little bit of time by Ashton tonight (he is playing the Wii), Dayne is in FL at the beach, and Danny is just getting in. So, I was trying to get in a little more of the day!

Yes, this is the room I used your pin on...but, good thing Danny had recieved one, too. when I called two days later to add another room on they had asked for the email address attached and changed it on the orginal ressie as well. Although, they did not ask for anything upon check in; so, I was happy to have both. It is a beautiful resort but I don't think we would stay there without a great discount. I am so trying to talk Danny into a return trip soon and leave US off and do SeaWorld instead we have not been there in at least a decade.

Sorry to be MIA for so long! What a fun day at IOA!! I did a lot of the same things as you at that park. The first Grinch we saw was stubborn, too-- he wouldn't even look at the camera! The second one was much nicer! Isn't the Dr. Seuss and company show cute? We met the characters in the same spot. Emily loved seeing Thing 1 and 2.
I love the cartoon theme area.
Sounds like Ashton was pooped after a long day.
Hey Barbara! I thought it was cute the way he was staying in character; but, what made it funnier to me was that poor Ashton did not understand at all; and he so loves all the characters. If is so much fun to see him run up to all the characters with such a big smile and all the amazement and magic in his eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter