Will Starbucks coming to the Magic Kingdom effect you visiting the Magic Kingdom?

Will Starbucks coming to the Magic Kingdom effect your visit

• Ye it will and I plan to never visit the Magic Kingdom again

• Yes it will, but I will just walk past it and not go in

• Don't care either way

• No it's just a coffee shop/ bakery that happens to sell strabucks

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe they realize that they should have done a better job in their original press release to describe their plans. Maybe they also should have known more about their fan base.
You've hit the nail right on the head my friend. Even after their update they've still left a lot of questions hanging out there. They've simply got to get better at identifying what's important and how to communicate based on the level of importance.
You can't tell me they thought they could simply gloss over this announcement without a reaction. Somebody had to know this backlash was coming. IDK...Maybe I'm giving them too much credit... <shruggs shoulders>

Maybe it will be a disaster, maybe it will be a well themed Disney bakery, staffed by CMs, that happens to sell some Starbucks coffee and some other baked goods. I'll wait until it is done and opened before I wail and gnash my teeth.

But why wait until it's done and possibly a disaster? MAYBE because of the whiny fan reaction Disney re-thought the plan a little. Maybe the worst case scenario was the plan and they face palmed themselves realizing that wasn't the way to go. I know that isn't likely, but it's possible. I don't see anything wrong in saying something while it still has a chance of making a difference rather than waiting around until it's done to gnash my teeth and regret not speaking up before it was too late.

I don't look at it from the angle of hysterical WDW consumers who jump to conclusions. I see a World Class Media company doing a rotten job announcing this change. How about an artist rendering of the inside and outside? Calm the fears that the MK Main Street won't look like my towns Main Street.

People who go to Disney parks do not, I would assume, experience them strictly intellectually or logically. They experience them emotionally. They go to laugh, to cry, to scream, to wonder. They go to make memories with friends and family. They take photos of experiences, and they treasure those photos and memories forever. They become emotionally involved.

First, thank you for the kind words. As to your point on emotional attachment, I agree, but I believe that far too many people cling to an emotional attachment based on a reality that never existed. The MSB has changed corporate sponorship numerous times. Why was it OK to have a big Sara Lee sign out front, with Sara Lee baked goods served inside, but now it is not OK to have a Starbucks sign out front, with Starbucks goods inside. It is this selective emotional attachment that I resist. People apparently pick a select moment in time, and then anchor that in cement as the foundation for their emotional memory. Why is the MSB of November, 2012 the only MSB that counts? The "legacy" MSB looked like this:
msbkry3.jpg

People claim to not want change, but the MSB has changed many times over already. So why are all the other changes good ones, but this particular change is bad? Why do people think that the refurbishment will be a disaster when no one raised a stink about this?
Sunkist-Citrus-House.jpg

If you haven't yet listened to Pete's rant, please do. He assures us that the people at DL would NEVER put up with this change. But the picture above is of DL.

Therefore, they react emotionally when they hear news of change. They think "How badly could this change go?" Then they think updates of Journey Into Imagination, or Spaceship Earth, or Mission to Mars, and they realize that it could go horribly, horribly wrong. Am I, or Pete, wrong? Could it go horribly wrong? We all know the answer.

As to "What could go wrong", I think that I laid out that the worst case scenario would be an urban Starbucks. But that isn't going to happen and we all know it. It is going to be something far more in line with what exists now. The same? No. Agreeable? Probably. But it is difficult to use Spaceship Earth and Journey Into Imagination as example of what could go wrong. While certain nostalgia buffs may not think of those updates as improvements, rest assured that there are millions of visitors who enjoy those attractions as their memories and would hate to see them changed. The Old Guard can bark all it wants about how these changes were for the worse, but that is merely their opinion, and the changes have not stopped people from queing up and enjoying themselves. Personally, I thought the original Journey Into Imagination was an incomprehensible glop of crud. The current version? Better, but still in need of a fresh look. So one cannot simply look at the past and predict doom for the future. I don't know why it is so difficult to put a bit of faith in Disney to trust that they aren't going to transform turn-of-the-century Main Street into
A_Starbucks.jpg

First, thank you for the kind words. As to your point on emotional attachment, I agree, but I believe that far too many people cling to an emotional attachment based on a reality that never existed. The MSB has changed corporate sponorship numerous times. Why was it OK to have a big Sara Lee sign out front, with Sara Lee baked goods served inside, but now it is not OK to have a Starbucks sign out front, with Starbucks goods inside. It is this selective emotional attachment that I resist. People apparently pick a select moment in time, and then anchor that in cement as the foundation for their emotional memory.

People claim to not want change, but the MSB has changed many times over already. So why are all the other changes good ones, but this particular change is bad? Why do people think that the refurbishment will be a disaster when no one raised a stink about this?

If you haven't yet listened to Pete's rant, please do. He assures us that the people at DL would NEVER put up with this change. But the picture above is of DL.

As to "What could go wrong", I think that I laid out that the worst case scenario would be an urban Starbucks. But that isn't going to happen and we all know it. It is going to be something far more in line with what exists now. The same? No. Agreeable? Probably. But it is difficult to use Spaceship Earth and Journey Into Imagination as example of what could go wrong. While certain nostalgia buffs may not think of those updates as improvements, rest assured that there are millions of visitors who enjoy those attractions as their memories and would hate to see them changed. The Old Guard can bark all it wants about how these changes were for the worse, but that is merely their opinion, and the changes have not stopped people from queing up and enjoying themselves. Personally, I thought the original Journey Into Imagination was an incomprehensible glop of crud. The current version? Better, but still in need of a fresh look. So one cannot simply look at the past and predict doom for the future. I don't know why it is so difficult to put a bit of faith in Disney to trust that they aren't going to transform turn-of-the-century Main Street into

:thumbsup2 BRA-VO SIR! Well said! If there was a LIKE button, I would be clicking it (repeatedly) right now!

Yes it will, I'll be Way happier with my Latte in hand. I personally think the Bakery is the wrong location for the Starbucks. I would have walked back to New Fantasyland for my latte. I'm excited that I don't have to suffer with awful coffee anymore. I was thrilled to get my Starbucks at DCA and will be thrilled to get it at the MK too.

Will it affect my Magic Kingtom experience.... not in the least

It's a retail location that will now sell something different than what it sold before.
Personally, I love Starbucks coffee

My only mini-gripe is that I'll now have to walk back to Fantasyland to get my cinnamon bun (latte in hand) - I should probably RUN considering the calories in that yummy pastry :rotfl2:

@JimmyV, very, very well said. People are resilient and will get used to change. Good coffee is NOT a bad change and I just don't see Disney going the usual every neighborhood design of the coffee house.

It WILL fit with the theme of Main Street and I have a feeling that the lines will be even longer to get anything other than Nescafé in the parks. Bakery items will still be had at the Starbucks locations. I'm not quite sure I understand the negative connotations of this change. :confused3

When I first heard the news, my first thought was "Oh no! What about the cinnamon bun?". The cinnamon bun is my absolutely favorite Magic Kingdom pastry and I'd gladly pay $4.00 for one.

I have no problem with them serving Starbucks coffee, I don't drink coffee so it doesn't bother me. It will hurt a little if they get rid of some of our favorites sweets and replace them with non-fat Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cakes.

If they don't change the look and feel of the building I'm ok with it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Just happy that they will not be selling Nescafe at this location anymore. People have been commenting about getting good coffee at WDW, so there it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter