Will my FP's disappear if I cancel resort reservation?

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
Hey!

My family and I will be in Sarasota visiting extended family for Christmas and the week after. Months ago, my sisters and I decided that we would do a day trip to Disney while we were there. We booked a night at Pop so we could drive up the night before (it's about a an hour and a half to two hour drive) and then hit the parks bright and early the following morning. We booked the night of the 28th and planned to play in the parks on the 29th. We each have 1 day left on a 10 day non-exp park hopper, so we already had/have tickets. I booked our FP+'s around the 60 day mark. Over Thanksgiving, we discussed our trip and thought about just driving up the day of the trip rather than going up the night before to save $. We decided 1 hour of extra magic hours might not be worth $200 :-)

My question is this - will the FP's I booked disappear/be cancelled if I cancel our room? I hadn't even thought about it until one of my sisters mentioned that they might, bc if they didn't then, wouldn't people just book nights on property just to get access to FP+ 60 days out and then cancel them? We had no idea, so I figured I'd ask here. Anyone know? We certainly wouldn't keep our room just to keep 3 fast pass reservations, but if we are going to "lose them" we might pick a different park to start our day in and try to rebook some new FPs. Thanks!

I think that if you are in the 30-day window they won't. Not sure.

I think that if you are in the 30-day window they won't. Not sure.

We are inside 30 days, but like one of my sisters pointed out, it doesn't really seem fair to people who don't cancel, if we cancel, but still get to keep our FPs...if that makes sense. Ha. So it was just one more thing we wanted to take into consideration before we actually decided if we wanted to cancel or not.

Right, I am sure that Disney knows about this loop hole and will eventually do something about it. It just may take some time.

I talked to a CM when I was booking FWcampground. He said that the loop hole will close soon. Especially with people booking "throwaway" rooms to get fp+

But if my FP's won't disappear if we cancel our room, then wouldn't people booking throwaway rooms just cancel their rooms once they were inside of 30 days?? I was under the impression that the throwaway room crew actually kept and paid for their room.

If you have a room only reservation and not a package that included tickets then you won't loose your fastpasses as long as you have tickets attached. You just have to be with in the 30 days and since room only can be canceled up to 5 days prior with no penalty.

We decided 1 hour of extra magic hours might not be worth $200

You mention sisterS. That means there are at least 3 of you. You can do the math on how much each of you will be paying on that $200. :)

But it's not just the EMH. It's being able to get away from the bigger family function. Having a set timeframe to get away, rather than "let's go after breakfast" etc etc that suddenly turns into starting out at noon (not sure if that's how your family functions but it would be for me!). Time overnight to sit around and be silly with sisters. (my sis is 25 years younger than me and we're not close, so I'm not sure about this, but I HEAR that sisters are quite fun to be with) You can wake up bright and early and be THERE! No drive in that morning! More sleep!

That $200 covers more than just the EMH, if you really think about it.

People will book rooms at Disney to take advantage of the 60 day window and then cancel inside the 30 day window to avoid losing their FP+ reservations. It wouldn't be hard to erase any FP+ reservations made over 30 days out if a room is cancelled to keep people from doing this. If Disney wants to close this loophole they will and I do hope they do. I hate when people game a system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!