Will I be disappointed with POR?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by JoJostar, Feb 8, 2013.

1. JoJostar

JoJostar Earning My Ears

Leaving next week for POR. We have only stayed deluxe before. I am second guessing myself like crazy ( probably belong on the resort changers board). I have officially driven my DH so crazy that he will leave the room if I try to ask him a trip question. So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down? Should I pay an extra $300 for AkL or an extra $800 for WL? Help!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

I can't think of one possible reason why you would be let down. It's a beautiful, tranquil resort. Make sure you make some time one night to check out Yehaa Bob.:thumbsup2

4. GATORinaZ28

GATORinaZ28 DIS Dad#764

We have stayed in a Deluxe (only the Contemporary, but numerous times), Mods, and a Value. We stayed at Riverside for the first time in Nov 11. We loved it and will most likely be back there again in 2013. The peace and quiet is so nice. The land it sits on is beautiful. Only way we would not stay there again is if we decide to try Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time.

I hope you will enjoy it.

5. michelleiada

michelleiada DIS Veteran

We always stay deluxe also, at Beach Club. However, last summer we were at WDW for a basketball nationals and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a non-vacation. We stayed mostly at Bonnet Creek but also did a couple nights at Port Orleans Riverside. It is a beautiful resort and we loved the theming in the rooms and outside on resort grounds. The only thing I would really miss staying here is the ability to walk to two parks and the Boardwalk. Other than that we Found the resort to be very nice.

6. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

We stayed at Poly on our first trip and POR twice since then. Trying CSR on our next trip. Now that we've seen the difference between deluxe and mod, it's hard for us to justify the extra cost for deluxe when mods have everything we want.

7. mgdisney

mgdisney Mouseketeer

We have stayed all levels of resorts (value, mod and deluxe) and so far POR is are fav resort. Like the others have stated POR is a beautiful resort, we enjoy the boat ride to DTD, which I think for a mod resort is an extra in itself. You won't be disappointed, relax and enjoy your trip!!

8. shoney

shoney DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR last Feb over President's day. It was our first onsite trip, so I have nothing "Disney" to compare it to.

Honestly, the resort itself is very nice. Bob in the lounge was fun. Boatwrights was delicious! The food court was a food court. Had stuff for the kids. Food was ok. Very crowded in the am. The kids liked the pool and slide (they were 10 and 12), but the pool activities were geared for much younger kids, so they didn't participate.

We were disappointed with the room. I thought it would have been nicer based on what I read about it. It was newly renovated, but very cheaply done. The towels and sheets were very poor quality. We weren't in the room much, so it didn't impact our vacation. I was just a bit surprised that it wasn't on par with a Hampton Inn type room.

At time, it was $2k more to stay at a deluxe. I couldn't justify that price difference.

I would love to stay at AKL! It looks amazing!

9. sue1013

sue1013 <font color=teal>Haven't had a good Yodel in years

POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.

10. princessallegra

princessallegra They call me Mrs. Disney

We have stayed all levels, many times deluxe and we love POR. It is a really beautiful resort with an awesome food court and ts restaurant, and the boat to dtd is neat. That being said, how long is your trip? $300 doesn't sound like a lot to upgrade to AKL.

11. mommy2mb

mommy2mb Mouseketeer

We stayed POR last March and loved it! The rooms were very nice, and the grounds were beautiful!

12. shoney

shoney DIS Veteran

I agree about the hot tub.

My kids came over and said they were going to the hot tub. I said "no that is for adults". My older son said "mom...go look at it" It was filled with little kids...gross! They went in though:confused3

13. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Personally, I think you will enjoy it....its not a bad time. :)

14. quandrea

quandrea DIS Veteran

Differing opinion here. I've stayed at values, mods, deluxe and DVC. I like the mods least because I don't think the product justifies the expense. If I wasn't doing DVC or deluxe, I'd stay value because I think that the value for dollar is better. The rooms at the mods are basically motel rooms. The extra money buys you landscaping and a nicer lobby. Not worth it. Go value or stay at AKL.

15. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

Plus:
    Bigger rooms
    Queen beds instead of doubles (except CBR)
    Double sinks
    Multiple covered bus stops
    Pool slides
    Hot tubs
    Table service restaurant
    Boat rental
    Bike rental
    Fishing

But if you don't spend any time enjoying the resort and only use the room for sleeping and showering, I completely agree to save $$ and stay value.:thumbsup2

16. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I have stayed at deluxe only one, and I went down to POR twice that week and cried because I wasn't there.

I love POR.

17. owl0306

owl0306 Mouseketeer

i am a deluxe snob also and I am considering a mod for just a couples only trip but I am worried also. I think I rather spend the extra money knowing I will be happy.

18. Reese D

Reese D Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat. We've only ever stayed at Deluxe, but are staying at POFQ for our next trip. I'm concerned but trying to remember that the resort is such a small part of our vacation. Also, we added extra nights which is nice. All that being said, I still may change my reservation to AKL before we leave :)

19. WDW1979

WDW1979 .

Same with us. We've stayed at almost all the Deluxes plus two DVC resorts at Disney, but Port Orleans Riverside is our fav as it has the most beautiful and serene grounds/landscaping. Lots of trees, bridges over little streams, and one large and gentle "river" that runs through the middle of the resort around Ol' Man Island. It is a place where you can relax, de-stress and enjoy the Disney happiness.

The two words I would use to best describe POR: serene and pretty.

Note that although I love POR, I am not a fan of its sister resort, POFQ. The two resorts are very different.

20. elaw

elaw DIS Veteran

We like to do split stays for various reasons and one of those reasons is to be certain to get our POR "Fix" ... we can afford to do all deluxe but we find the moderates very charming and an essential part of our stay. One of the advantages of a split stay is the fact that if you dont like the resort, you know you are not "Stuck" there the rest of your trip.

21. Cinderumbrella

Cinderumbrella Wench

We are staying POR this time around instead of Deluxe because of the length of our trip. But we picked POR Royal Rooms since it is like "Deluxe Lite" to me. The attention to detail in those rooms is amazing. Plus, I like the idea of a pool slide and the boat to DTD.

That being said, how long is your trip?? If its 5 nights or longer, then I absolutely would pay $300 extra to stay at AKL (that is a gorgeous resort too!) But I wouldn't pay $800 for WL.