Will Disney do an upgrade if you selected your room?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by jbuckent, Jan 18, 2009.

1. jbuckent

jbuckent DIS Veteran

We selected which room we wanted and unless its an upgrade to a veranda I'd like to keep my room. Does Disney ever upgrade when people select a specific room or only when they select GTY? Do they ask you if its ok before changing it or do they just do it?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

The short answer is yes, they do upgrade even if you have a specific cabin assignment. One year we booked a specific Cat 4 stateroom, one that we had the year before, but we got upgraded to a cat 3.

The longer answer is that there is no formula or way to increase your odds of an upgrade. It is very, very random and dependent on the dynamics of that particular sailing. The best rule of thumb is to book what you know you'll be happy with and if an upgrade comes along, it's just a bonus.

4. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Exactly. If you have a room that you do not want to be moved from for any reason, call DCL so they can note it on your resie.

5. dznymania

dznymania Mouseketeer

We bboked a specific cat 9 for our cruise last week. Then we got a call 2 days before the cruise that they had upgraded us to a cat 5.

6. anijac1412

anijac1412 Mouseketeer

Yup, we had a Cat. 11 reserved with a specific room number and all, and we got the notice only last week (we cruise this Thurs.) that we got upgraded to a Navigator's Verandah! :D

7. Presentation

Presentation DIS Veteran

Wow, cat 4 to cat 3 is a upgrade that I would love to have! We have been cruising on cat 4, family veranda, many times and so far we have never been upgraded.

Did you get concierge benefits along with the cabin upgrade?

8. Evil Queen 2

Evil Queen 2 Mouseketeer

We had a specific cabin selected in Cat 9 and were just surprised with an upgrade to a Cat 6. It was was an oceanview to a verandah room. :cheer2:

I wouldn't think if you had booked a oceanview room DCL would upgrade you to an inside room but then I could be wrong.

9. allears

It was awesome and not a very frequent thing. It was during the horrible hurricane season of 04. As it turns out our crusie was shortened, we knew a little ahead of time and could have cancelled, but we figured five nights in a suite is better than we're likely to get on our own. And like I said, it was awesome!!

10. allears

I may be wrong about this and I'm sure some one can correct me, but I don't think there is any inside cabin that would be conisdered and upgrde from an ocean view state room.

11. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Thank goodness no! :) You are never given a room that cost less than what you originally paid for your cruise.

12. jewelmicky

jewelmicky DIS Veteran

They will never "downgrade" you! You can upgrade at the port for a fraction of what it cost ahead of time....the key is to get there early and hope the ship is not full.

13. Evil Queen 2

Evil Queen 2 Mouseketeer

I wasn't sure what costs were on some of the higher cat staterooms that offered inside rooms compared to cat 9 rooms on deck 2. I just meant that I didn't think you would get swapped from an oceanview to an inside room.