Will CC change with the larger ships?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by westjones, Apr 27, 2009.

1. westjones

westjones <font color=blue>Mother of Two <font color=deeppin

Are they going to open up more of island, or will there just be 50% more people on the island once the new ships come out? That would be rather crowded. Has anyone heard anything on this issue?
    Thanks,

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. schwenksvillemouse

schwenksvillemouse DIS Veteran

4. B9erSteve

B9erSteve Disney Dad

Wow! Now there's something that I'd never thought about!

5. Kim&Chris

Kim&Chris dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at

Excellent question. Based on photos I've seen of the island, there's a big portion of it that is unused. It'll certainly be interesting to see how they address this issue.

6. pops711

pops711 Mouseketeer

Last time I was at CC I saw a lot areas being cleared. Also when I went parasailing I could see a small part of the other side of the island and it looked like the was construction going on over there as well;)

7. schwenksvillemouse

schwenksvillemouse DIS Veteran

The other question may be do they need to dig a deeper channel for the boat to dock at CC.

8. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Supposedly only about 10% of the island is currently developed.

We saw heavy construction equipment there in April.

9. Cliffside

Cliffside Mouseketeer

Wow, I had never thought of that. That is an excellent question. They will definately have to do something to accommodate those additional people. The family beach gets pretty crowded.

10. GoofyTraci

GoofyTraci DIS Veteran

I never thought of that either. I guess with the ships not ready for a couple of years now. Maybe they will have ships dock there on different days.:confused3

11. Cruise

Cruise <font color=blue>Wake up, your month is up!;)</fon

The problem isn't really the day that they dock as the fact that the new ships will be larger themselves and carry more passengers. There will be more people streaming onto the island no matter what.

According to http://www.passporter.com/articles/disney-cruise-line-new-ships.asp , the Magic and Wonder hold 2,400 guests each. The new ships will each hold 4,000 guests. Not quite double the number of people... they're definitely going to need more room on CC.

12. mnbrowns

mnbrowns DIS Veteran

I imagine they will not fit so would therefore have to close it to dredge more, or have another docking area. Does anyone have Google Earth so we can spy on what they're doing?

13. GoofyTraci

GoofyTraci DIS Veteran

the reason why I said that was because of the comment made about the beach being crowded. I was not commenting on if the ship could dock there or not. Sorry if I didnt clarify myself enough.

14. krisngreg

krisngreg Mouseketeer

Has a date been set yet for when the new ships will even start hitting CC?

15. Bride-to-be

Bride-to-be DIS Veteran

This past winter I was told that starting in October they would be overhauling the island. I don't know if that means just updating everything thats there or if they are going to be working on developing more of the island.

Then after that it changed to refurbishing - but I am not sure who to believe...

16. TiaMaria

TiaMaria DIS Veteran

Google Earth isn't in "real time".

The reason I know this is because my house was built in early 2006 and it didn't show up on Google Earth until earlier this year.

17. ladypoo

ladypoo DIS Veteran

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

does this help?

18. SnowWhite2

SnowWhite2 DIS Veteran

I posed the question about 50% more guests on CC with the new ships during the CC Clubhouse meeting. I was told that there is room on the far end of the family beach. They will MAYBE take out the rocks on the far side to extend the beach. They are making the pier a bit longer. Other than that, nada. I was not a happy camper with that answer.

19. B9erSteve

B9erSteve Disney Dad

Besides not being updated in real-time, the resolution in areas such as CC is nowhere near as good as urban and residential areas.

20. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Funny. We didn't find Castaway Cay crowded. And we were on a packed New Year's week cruise. Only time we noticed the ship was packed was on disembarkation day.

21. all5ofus

all5ofus DIS Veteran DVC Gold