Wilderness Lodge Vs. Contemporary?

RodBelding

DIS Dad #589
Heading down on January 5th for a week, with DW and DD (3 yr old). Debating between the Contemporary and WL... Main consideration is DD's impatience and tiredness at the end of the day, being right on the monorail is very nice, but a basic garden room at the CR is about $700 more than a basic room at WL for the week... And money is a def. restraint...

Advice would be very much appreciated!

I like WL more, I like the boat ride. However, CR is closer, and that is very nice. The monorail is nice, but it's even faster to walk to MK.

The bus ride to MK from WL is quick. I honestly think it has to be similar in time as it would be to ride the monorail loop TO the MK. Also is the monorail a madhouse at park close with people headed to the TTC? Never done that but I have to wonder?

I would have to suggest the WL. I admit the monorail is a nice benefit with a young child; however, the bus to the MK runs often and is a very quick ride over as well is the bus to Epcot. Also, as mentioned, there is a ferry that runs to the CR as well as the Mk. The ferry does take a bit longer, but is very relaxing.

Also, 700 dead presidents is a whole lot of money and you'll still be staying at a nice deluxe resort. :thumbsup2

I personally like the Wilderness Lodge better, regardless of the location, but I'm more of a "wilderness" sort of chap than a "contemporary" one anyway. The wife and I honeymooned at the WL for about 2 weeks, so we had plenty of experience with its transportation and, I must say, I could not find any fault with it that was due to the location. The boat ride from WL to MK is quite pleasant, and you're only a boat ride away from the Contemporary (Chef Mickey's, parasailing, etc.) and Fort Wilderness (Hoop Dee Doo). Plus, sometimes you get one of those boats that look sorta like the boat from "the African Queen."

I much prefer the Contemporary, esp with young children. Being on the monorail, or being able to walk back from MK, is fantastic. Plus, I just overall liked that resort better. That being said, WL is very nice as well, and if cost is an issue then it is definitely something to consider. WL has some great points as well, I think it just comes down to personal preference - the woodsy feeling of WL, or the MK view from the Contemporary along with the more upbeat vibe. Part of it for me is we live in the country, so it's kind of nice to have something different with the Contemporary's vibe when we're on vacation. Either way, you'll have fun!!

Thanks for the advice. I think i might be leaning towards WL now... I found out last night that the rooms at the Contemporary don't have a balcony/patio, which would be nice for the nights after the baby is asleep in the room (though last year in January when we visited it was so cold we couldn't think of using the balcony)...

Have my fingers crossed for some room rate discounts too! I have the AAA, which is about 10% I think, but a 30-40% would be amazing...

Have my fingers crossed for some room rate discounts too! I have the AAA, which is about 10% I think, but a 30-40% would be amazing...

Here's a tip for you that may work. Log onto the WDW website, or register if you haven't already. Then play around with a few packages and dates and even go to the screen to pay. From there just close out and do nothing. Do several resorts and do it a couple of days. There is a very good possibility Disney may send you an email enticing you to complete your vacation with a code provided for up to 40% off. I did this for my first stay in 2008 and already had a trip booked this year and played around on the site and then received a 40% which I took advantage of.

I much prefer the decor and feel of WL to CR, esp in the winter, WL is just so cozy!
The lobby is beautiful and the boat ride to Mk is really nice.

I would say WL all the way. We've stayed there twice and loved it. Decided to upgrade to MK View at the CR last week. We really missed WL. While the view was great, the room was spacious and the location was convenient, I doubt we will be back. A big part of the problem was that we did not feel it was worth the extra money we paid to stay there vs. WL. We also had lousy housekeeping so that is definately part of it too.

If you intend to use the balcony, go with at least a woods view though. Standard is horrible and some woods are pretty bad too. We plan to book courtyard next time.

I stayed @ the wilderness lodge with my DH,DS (7),DS(4) in 2006. We absolutely Loved this resort. If you stay on the left side of the resort, your walk is easier to the trail for the boat. We loved the boat ride, and ALWAYS got a seat too! We are BIG fans of WL.
You may also want to look into the price of a Jr. Suite, it could be less than a standard room at CM. Our JR. siut also had a bonus...2 BALCONIES. Book on a higer floor to, you can go our on your balcony and see the Bay Lake Light Parade, every night it goes by. Our kids got a real kick our of it and we had primo seating!!!!
ALL for the WILDERNESS LODGE !!!!:hippie::thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter