Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by cjj120, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Waltfan54

Waltfan54 Earning My Ears

We have stayed at both resorts and you will not be disappointed with either. The AKL provides quests with a Savannah view wild animals in a setting unlike any other unless you are on a safari. The WL is fabulous in October with its lobby fireplace and close proximity to the Magic Kingdom and Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. If given a choice..put me down for the AKL.:goodvibes

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. letsgoreds

letsgoreds DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both several times (two of our most favorite resorts). For a first trip, I would stay at Wilderness Lodge. It is wonderful, and the proximity to MK and boat option will be a blast. Our first deluxe stay was at WL, and I still remember how special it was. The decor of both is similar, dark, and both have a bunk bed option, which is always a hit with our family.

I would double check with your travel agent to see what room category she is comparing. I WOULDN'T stay at AKL without the savannah view, which usually bumps that up in price, making it more $$$ than WL.

Our next trip in Jan will be to AKL-Kidani. We have paid out of pocket for BLT (and LOVED it), and this trip we are renting points and staying with family in a 2BR. The pool at Kidani is probably my favorite between the two resorts. If you stay at AKL, you are allowed to use both pools, Jambo and Kidani. There is a bit of a walk between the two, but nothing a young family and eager kids couldn't handle.

That being said, there is a special feeling swimming at the WL main pool, something about the beautiful resort wrapping around the pool area that just made it seem special. We actually had some really fun encounters with wildlife during our stays. One time there was a mom with 8 ducklings that swam in the pool everyday (think they don't permit this anymore), and one trip we had a ground level courtyard (booked woods view), and every morning, ducks, rabbits, and something else would come and join us for breakfast on our patio.

The kids would also really enjoy Hoop De Doo show, which is a quick boatride from WL.

Good luck, they are both resorts...but definitely check room category comparisons as that might make your decision easier!

4. pas130

pas130 Always missing Florida....

I suggest WL for the boat to MK, especially after MNSSHP :thumbsup2

We stayed at both, and we LOVE both!!! But AKL we did a resort only stay, so I can't comment on the buses. They both have LOTS of activities, and with WL you are a stroll or boat ride from Fort Wilderness :thumbsup2

5. t_daniels

t_daniels <font color=deeppink>They'll NEVER be replaced<br>

Yup. But there are several of the savannah rooms, I believe. And plenty of animal watching places around the hotel.

6. henderkm

henderkm Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both and really love both for different reasons.

If you decide to stay at AKL, I would go with Jambo rather than Kidani. We stayed at Kidani and it has a smaller gift shop and not near as many food options.

7. WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS

WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS DIS Veteran

We stayed at AKL because DD loves animals and in 8 days she probably spent 20 minutes looking at the animals, but on the plus side she loved the pool and that's where we spent all of our time when we weren't at the parks!