BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

So much happening at the Lodge right now...

My heart is set on a pre Christmas trip to the WL this year. We loved being there in 2014, even with the work being done on the main pool til about half way through our trip.
We also stayed at & had a wonderful holiday at the Poly during its Lobby re do. Lighter crowds and still a whole lot to love. :)
Here's hoping that stay prepared us for this years adventure at the Lodge. ;)

Newest Information from POST 1:

NEW!
1/13/15: Thank you to Wood Nymph for summarizing the current state of WL/VWL after her stay this week. (This is current as of 1/12/15. I will modify as I get more info.) I've done some editing and added some of my own comments which begin with *

The side of the South Wing that faces the villa is completely covered in scaffolding from the section that begins above the Cub's Den and goes along the entire south side. This scaffolding is more heavy duty than the scaffolding they used when they were doing the refurbishing work last year. We saw workmen climbing all over it, going up and down. And there were a lot of workman working on it. I couldn't tell what they were doing, though.

They have that whole area blocked off so you can't walk between the South Wing and the former Hidden Springs (VWL) pool anymore.

We walked to Trail's End at Fort Wilderness this morning and saw a lot of construction vehicles in the staging area near the end of the villas building. We took the boat from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom and we could see the construction work from the boat. Almost all of the trees that used to be around the Hidden Springs pool are completely gone. And for those of you who remember the pool, that was a lot of trees! We could see the backhoe working in that area.

We also did a little exploring after dinner tonight. I was surprised to find that they had blocked off the lovely sitting area that is located on the fifth floor above the main lobby entrance doors. That sitting area has a fireplace that had a fire going in it and two big armchairs. But no one can get to it because they have put up walls to block it. The only balcony sitting area that is still open is the fourth floor seating area above the lobby entrance. All of the other ones are closed off. I think this is the biggest surprise of all. I never expected them to alter the building as much as they are doing.

To summarize as best I can without pictures:

WL CURRENTLY UNCHANGED:

~Main lobby area of WL, WL pool, splash pad and Trout Pass Bar - still having pool parties, too.

~Restaurants - still serving same food in North Wing.

~Buses and their frequency - it seems like they are running on the normal schedule although there are less people on them.

~Boats - still running on the same schedule although there are less people on them.

~Wonderful, friendly cast members.

~The whole inner courtyard with the waterfall is still the same.

WL/VWL UNAVAILABLE OR MODIFIED:

~South wing closed - all floors.

~Entire bank of lobby elevators near The Mercantile are closed.

~Balcony viewing areas that face Bay Lake closed on fourth floor and fifth floors.

~Sitting area above front doors on fifth floor closed off.

~Beach closed.

~Marina closed.

~*Spa closed.

~Movies moved to villas building.

~Bike rentals are available I think. I saw all the bikes stacked at the Cubs Den play area. (*Bike rentals were to remain available at WL/VWL, but no longer at the marina.)

~Cub's Den closed.

~Old Faithful Club under major renovation with temporary *lounge set-up currently in corridor. Offerings have been reduced and guests must ask for most beverages. Window-area overlooking Bay Lake and Courtyard is blocked off. Plans are to move the OFC lounge to VP Suite soon while new lounge is being constructed out of two honeymoon suites in North Wing. There will no longer be seating surounding the lobby.

They haven't started the heavy construction yet so there really isn't very much disruption at this time. But once they really get going on building the new pool and the cabins, it is going to be one heck of a major project. I would hesitate to advise anyone to stay here during that time, unless you plan to be at the parks during the work hours and you get a good discount. And the courtyard rooms that face the main pool won't really be too affected.

Last edited:

I saw someone elsewhere claim a CM told him the pool would be done and open by June. I am fairly certain that is hilariously inaccurate, although if they proved me wrong I'd not complain. Just seems unlikely given the Poly pool timeline, which was April 2015 through "early 2016" and hasn't yet opened. So we're already at 9 months, but WL will do theirs in 6?

Hi All! Currently booked in a deluxe family room for 6/21-7/1. We've been to the lodge a dozen times (most recently last August) but I'm wondering if maybe I should look to move to another resort with all of the work going on? It's not so much the noise level I'm worried about but the modified OFC and lack of some amenities that will leave us having to travel elsewhere anyway (fire pit, outdoor movies, boat rentals, spa) I can do a deluxe room at Boardwalk for not significantly more money but my kids LOVE the Lodge. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Booked for early Decmeber and am very concerned so starting to look around at other resorts....

Knew there was going to be construction when we booked, but I was under the false impression it would be limited to DVC stuff and not impact the lobby area. Disappointed because I was really looking forward to WL at Christmas...

Hi All! Currently booked in a deluxe family room for 6/21-7/1. We've been to the lodge a dozen times (most recently last August) but I'm wondering if maybe I should look to move to another resort with all of the work going on? It's not so much the noise level I'm worried about but the modified OFC and lack of some amenities that will leave us having to travel elsewhere anyway (fire pit, outdoor movies, boat rentals, spa) I can do a deluxe room at Boardwalk for not significantly more money but my kids LOVE the Lodge. Any thoughts are appreciated!

My kids LOVED the Lodge too (as well as the OFC) and they've never stayed anywhere else, but "their" Lodge is no more. I would stay elsewhere until the transformation is complete and then decide if it is still the place for you. We are thankful for the many memories we have shared as a family at WL.

Recently stayed here, marathon week, and the disruption was fairly minimal. We had a two bedroom overlooking the lake. We also stayed at the Polynesian villas and between the two i much preferred VWL.

I took several pictures of the construction however the files are too large to upload here. The view was really not that bad.

Recently stayed here, marathon week, and the disruption was fairly minimal. We had a two bedroom overlooking the lake. We also stayed at the Polynesian villas and between the two i much preferred VWL.

I took several pictures of the construction however the files are too large to upload here. The view was really not that bad.

Having just stayed at WL, what is your opinion on the view if you were facing the woods in North Wing? Was South Wing closed down yet?

Having just stayed at WL, what is your opinion on the view if you were facing the woods in North Wing? Was South Wing closed down yet?

We actually stayed in both woods view and lake view. One bedroom woods view was just for the night. It was close to bus stop and I imagine less construction noise but the lake view was great. This time of year it gets dark early and so once dark you can't even tell there's construction. Had a great view of the boat parade at night.

We didn't hear a thing once in the villa lobby and our room.

There wasn't construction on the weekend but during the week we were not in the room during the day so I can't tell you if it was noisy. The current view is of sand, vegetation that's torn up and the water. Actually interesting to see what's going on. If ground floor though you would have a grass path and then a construction wall to look at so not sure I'd like that. We were third floor so didn't look out at the plastic construction wall. It is themed forest plastic but a plastic wall non the less.

I guess I'd choose woods view if i had a chance of being ground floor or if I needed the room quiet during the day.

Regardless, the entire project is MUCH less intrusive than what's going on at the Polynesian. We originally were booked at the poly and after one night there was VERY thankful to get a two bedroom back at VWL.

Who knows what is in store for the resort in the coming months though. The Polynesian should be completed this spring and should be great when done. I'm pretty sure they're just getting started on VWL so disruptions and noise levels will probably get worse before better.

The hotel side of the resort has an entire section shut down with scaffolding up on the side facing the villas.

This was our first stay and only happened there to get away of the chaos at Polynesian so I don't have a before construction to compare to. A bank of elevators are shut down in main lobby and they have some plants up in lobby to wall off the area by the bridge and stream in main hotel lobby.

Btw they left the Christmas trees and decorations up until the 8th. I was concerned we were going to miss them . They were stunning. I felt like I was at a beautiful mountain ski lodge.

Might not make much difference, but the ugly scaffolding that is being mentioned has nothing to do with the DVC development. It's the standard refurbishment process of the lodge exterior. Those logs are real, and take a lot of care to keep them from rotting in the Florida environment. The scaffolding has snaked its way around the building all year long. They just happen to be on the side with all the construction now.

Booked for early Decmeber and am very concerned so starting to look around at other resorts....

Knew there was going to be construction when we booked, but I was under the false impression it would be limited to DVC stuff and not impact the lobby area. Disappointed because I was really looking forward to WL at Christmas...
I am also booked for early this coming December. I'm not too worried now, but will follow things as they progress in the coming months. I could only book a Courtyard View room--fine with me I guess. Construction won't really bother me since I am a very early riser and will be gone most of the day when I assume they are working. The pool being closed wouldn't really bother me, but delays in transportation may bug me--we'll see. At this point, I would only move if they didn't offer some sort of discount for the week--then I will definitely look elsewhere. My alternatives right now are BWI, YC, AKL, CR--any of these would be fine by me if the discount is right. Probably won't look at Villas since they are historically hard to get the week I'm going. Here's hoping things go okay since I've never stayed at WL before and really would like to--if not, may postpone the stay there until December 2017.

I have been following the wilderness lodge Fansite and Humphrey's unofficial WL site on Facebook. Looks like a lot is going on.

I saw someone elsewhere claim a CM told him the pool would be done and open by June. I am fairly certain that is hilariously inaccurate, although if they proved me wrong I'd not complain. Just seems unlikely given the Poly pool timeline, which was April 2015 through "early 2016" and hasn't yet opened. So we're already at 9 months, but WL will do theirs in 6?

I was just on the phone trying to discuss options for my honeymoon on May 30th and my CM insisted that the pool would be open by Jan 31st. I almost lost it with them. Clearly no one is informed except the construction managers.

I was just on the phone trying to discuss options for my honeymoon on May 30th and my CM insisted that the pool would be open by Jan 31st. I almost lost it with them. Clearly no one is informed except the construction managers.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Yeah. Not buying that one.

So if I'm going in the beginning of April and staying in DVC villas will I notice much from my room or at the main pool area??

So if I'm going in the beginning of April and staying in DVC villas will I notice much from my room or at the main pool area??

Depending on your room location. If your room would normally face the woods or the quiet pool, you won't see much more than either dirt or the new construction of the pool area. The main WL pool is not affected at this time.

Has Disney given any indication as to when the construction will end in 2017?

See Page 1 for details but...

1) What are the refurbishment dates? When will work be complete?
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will be undergoing multiple refurbishment projects beginning in October 2015 and continuing through 2017.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter