• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

Could someone please clarify for me what the extent of the disruption may be in summer next year? Will the beach etc still be closed?
We are booked for May 2016. I don't think anyone can say exactly what the extent of the disruption will be that far out. But, yes, I anticipate that everything that is closed now will remain closed indefinitely. It is possible that the VWL pool refurbishment will be finished. However, there is a current thread complaining about the length of time it has taken to refurbish the Poly quiet pool, so I wouldn't bet on it. I also anticipate that the DVC construction north and south of the WL will be in full swing. That does not concern me too much as the WL seems to be pretty secluded from the shoreline. I have never been there, though. The construction could be an eyesore if you are traveling back and forth to MK on the boat. It is also possible that there will be construction in the WL itself if they are converting some rooms to DVC. On the plus side, the scaffolding that so many people have been complaining about lately should be gone. I think the only thing we can do is monitor the situation and depend on people who are actually there to give us updates. Then jump ship if it appears to be sinking.

Stil debating if I should switch or not...It is almost $700 difference...

I was moved but did not pay any more than my original reservation price. I was persistent and stated I had a budget; was transferred to GS and the CM moved us to Poly-SV for same price as WL-SV. Or did you mean you are taking the construction discount to stay at WL?

I was moved but did not pay any more than my original reservation price. I was persistent and stated I had a budget; was transferred to GS and the CM moved us to Poly-SV for same price as WL-SV. Or did you mean you are taking the construction discount to stay at WL?

No it is just a general savings as our trip was booked after the construction was announced and it seems they have discounted the rooms more..

No it is just a general savings as our trip was booked after the construction was announced and it seems they have discounted the rooms more..

It you booked after the construction was announced they aren't going to offer you anything. If you move they'll make you pay the difference and I don't imagine you'll get the 100 a night as you were aware of the construction.

It you booked after the construction was announced they aren't going to offer you anything. If you move they'll make you pay the difference and I don't imagine you'll get the 100 a night as you were aware of the construction.

I am just saying for the price we paid at Poly, we could move to WL and save $700..that is the price difference when I quote it out now.

We had a chance to buy into the DVC but decided it wasn't for us. We talked to our lawyer and said it wouldn't be helpful for us in the long run. Plus if when we died our son wouldn't want it. Yes I know he could sell it but why bother if he doesn't want it? If it was in the Caribbean it might be different but it isn't. You can't claim anything on your taxes and would have to claim any if we rented it out. So I was told by the DVC guy and our lawyer.

Disney in my view is not the Disney I knew. I realize it is a business and people will pay no matter what they charge. But they will in the end lose a lot of former loyal guests . Just my two cents.

I was really hoping to make our trip in Srptember our last but my son said he wanted to go with us next year so we can see our only grandson reaction of our favorite place . Which is funny that when we babysit him he ask if we are ever going to him to our happy place lol. I told him to ask his parents. He will be 4 years this October and next year close to 5 yrs old.

Not sure why they will lose a lot of former loyal guests? They now have over 30,000 guest rooms on Property. There is a market for DVC. DVC values on the resale market are strong (that can change of course). I'm sure when there were only 2 monorail hotels and they were adding the third there were those who said it would ruin Disney, just like the moderates, the values, adding Parks, adding rides, DTD expansion etc... The world changes, there are plenty of former businesses, resorts etc that no longer exist because they never changed.

On a side note grab your Grandson and take him with you now! the heck with his parents waiting till next year:)

I am just saying for the price we paid at Poly, we could move to WL and save $700..that is the price difference when I quote it out now.

Oh I see now. I was confused, I thought you were at Wilderness Lodge and were looking to change to Poly for free like some of us got. If I understand correctly now you are at Poly and looking to switch to WL due to the $700 price difference.

If you are never in the room and are the type to be in the parks from open to close go for it. The only reason we switched is because we will be doing a hotel day. There is still minor construction at Poly but at least we are 100% sure what that type of construction is as it is well documented and the jack hammering is pretty much done.

Thanks for the clarification. We booked a BB in May prior to the construction announcement; thus the willingness to switch us to the Poly from WL for same price. If there is another discount available now for your dates that you are eligible for, you can ask for that discount to be applied to your current reservation (same resort/room category). If you are thinking of switching to WL from Poly to save money, that will be your call as to how the proposed construction may impact your trip.

Not sure why they will lose a lot of former loyal guests? They now have over 30,000 guest rooms on Property. There is a market for DVC. DVC values on the resale market are strong (that can change of course). I'm sure when there were only 2 monorail hotels and they were adding the third there were those who said it would ruin Disney, just like the moderates, the values, adding Parks, adding rides, DTD expansion etc... The world changes, there are plenty of former businesses, resorts etc that no longer exist because they never changed.

On a side note grab your Grandson and take him with you now! the heck with his parents waiting till next year:)

I realize they are not going to lose many but they will for people like us they will. I know quite a few people who goes three or more times than we do and they won't buy a DVC. We rather not buy into this as it our view.

I wish I could just take my grandson but I think at the age 4 he would be having fun but his parents wouldn't allow it. And we rather not push it. I nearly lost my husband this year & he is walking on egg shells so having an active 4 yrs old around is testing enough when we babysit him lol. We wanted to wait until he is almost 5 and his parents can come along. If not on site we can stay off site. They said they don't care about the construction so I will take them at their word haha:goodvibes:Pinkbounc

The SFWMD application status is now "complete."

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 2.02.30 PM.png

I returned this week from a wonderful 10 nights at Poly/GF. I did go over to WL for a visit and the following is what I posted to the WL/VWL thread about my visit:

My account may be flagged now as I actually tried my MB on one of the doors to the new villa models:blush:...it didn't work. No reverse peephole either so I've got nothing but sad door photos. I was told that CMs have to sign a non-disclosure agreement if they do see the interior and management has not been forthcoming with much information. It was reported by a PP earlier that the South Wing conversions would include all types except Grand Villas. However, according to my source, there actually will be some Grand Villas. It's possible they may be Deluxe Room conversions, but this hasn't been verified.

As far as the current, non-DVC (scaffolding) work, I was told that it's expected to continue another 4-6 months and will overlap with the DVC expansion. The work I saw was at times very noisy and scaffolding was up in two areas: South Wing over the entrance by The Mercantile and in the WL Courtyard by the 7th floor CL window where they're replacing the logs.

Repair work above the Cub's Den:
image-jpg.120073

Taken from CL lounge window. They were replacing all the timber.
image-jpg.120074

WL Standard Room DVC conversion (4) model rooms:
image-jpg.120075

image-jpg.120076

image-jpg.120077

image-jpg.120078

image-jpg.120079

image-jpg.120080

image-jpg.120081

I am really anxious to see what they end up doing and what the contract date will be on these new units. This is definitely a resort we would consider buying into DVC for...

I have been trying to keep up with this thread but have fallen terribly behind - so please excuse an old question...

I am looking at a trip next May (2016). I thought WL or VWL would be perfect for my family. With the construction announced, I'm now not so sure. Any predictions on the construction noise/congestion at that point? I know it's a long way away - and Poly has been a mess - but I am looking for honest speculation. ;)

I am also considering BLT or maybe Poly. With two small children (2 and 6) plus grandparents, a 2BR would be great. I love the feel of WL more than CR/BLT and I like the extra room potential instead of Poly/PVB. But the construction really messes up my plans...

Thoughts? Opinions? Crystal ball? :rolleyes1

I think the construction will still be ongoing then but no idea how bad. If you want to stay at Poly, you could consider two studios. The other option is VGF 2 bedroom villas. I am not a big fan of the Contemporary either..

I have been trying to keep up with this thread but have fallen terribly behind - so please excuse an old question...

I am looking at a trip next May (2016). I thought WL or VWL would be perfect for my family. With the construction announced, I'm now not so sure. Any predictions on the construction noise/congestion at that point? I know it's a long way away - and Poly has been a mess - but I am looking for honest speculation. ;)

I am also considering BLT or maybe Poly. With two small children (2 and 6) plus grandparents, a 2BR would be great. I love the feel of WL more than CR/BLT and I like the extra room potential instead of Poly/PVB. But the construction really messes up my plans...

Thoughts? Opinions? Crystal ball? :rolleyes1

I think I'd go with BLT since that's one you were considering. Poly has construction and Disney says that WL/VWL will have construction at that time too although if you stay WL it ought to minimize the possibility of seeing it too much. BLT 2BR's are wonderful BTW! Big and 3 bathrooms and ought to be great for the family you are bringing.

I think the construction will still be ongoing then but no idea how bad. If you want to stay at Poly, you could consider two studios. The other option is VGF 2 bedroom villas. I am not a big fan of the Contemporary either..

I think I'd go with BLT since that's one you were considering. Poly has construction and Disney says that WL/VWL will have construction at that time too although if you stay WL it ought to minimize the possibility of seeing it too much. BLT 2BR's are wonderful BTW! Big and 3 bathrooms and ought to be great for the family you are bringing.

Thanks so much! I think BLT would be good except the reviews are so mixed!

Time to figure it out... And it can't be all bad - we'll be at Disney no matter what we choose!

2 bdrm at BLT sounds like it might just be the best fit for your size group. We really loved it for our first trip with a 4 yr old. We were in a studio and while the theming is not so "exuberant" the ability to walk to MK and not load/unload a stroller was the best. The other nice part is, once thru the CR, BLT is quiet. No one is really there to resort visit like at resorts with the popular restaurants. Good luck! Check the CR/BLT thread for a lot of pictures and information.

Okay from what others have said, contact Disney direct by calling them and tell them you have just found out about the construction and really upset with losing all the things that won't be available. I like quiet time in the day and was worried I would not get that especially with paying the extra to stay there. Good luck and keep us posted :)

Have you not had an email from them yet? if thats the case state that too.

I didn't get offered a discount but got moved to the Contemporary garden wing which I am really happy with x
Update, we recd a memory maker and 2 fast passes per person per day which is perfect for me. The construction really only bothers me because we now won't be going to see the campfire and will have to go somewhere else for the sea racers which is a slight bummer so I feel compensated

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter