BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

WDWKOOK

NOW WITH LESS TAG!
WILDERNESS LODGE, BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS AND COPPER CREEK VILLAS AND CABINS DVC EXPANSION NEWS:

COPPER CREEK VILLAS AND CABINS WILL OPEN JULY 17 (7/17/17)

POINTS SALES BEGAN 4/5/17

According to DVCNews.com, prices start at $176 per point, the same rate currently being charged for Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Cabins and Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas. At launch, current DVC owners qualify for a $1,000 discount off an add-on of 150 points or more. The discount increases to $1,750 for 175+ points and $3,000 for 200 or more points. Higher incentives are available for larger purchases. Incentives for new members have not yet been revealed. Annual dues start at $7.33 per point for 2017.”

DVCNews.com photos/virtual tour

2017 POINTS CHART

2018 POINTS CHART

YouTube Copper Creek Villas & Cabins videos/information

Construction photos/videos posted on

PAGES 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 88, 91.

To help enhance the storytelling at
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, the Disney Vacation Villas will receive a new name. Gone are the old days of The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Now, this DVC property shall be known as Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Walt Disney Imagineers believe the name change will help to give the resort a more “distinctive identity” and add to the story of the entire community. The name change will also help tie into the re-imagined and Hidden Springs Pool, as well as the upcoming Copper Creek Villas & Cabins, which are currently being constructed.

The DVC expansion into the South Wing of Wilderness Lodge will be comprised of Studios, One Bedroom, Two Bedroom and Three Bedroom grand villas. This will halve the amount of Standard and Club Level rooms at Wilderness Lodge.

WDW News Today announced on 4/29/16 the Wilderness Lodge Expansion project's name:

COPPER CREEK CABINS AND VILLAS at DISNEY'S WILDERNESS LODGE.

Newest WL/VWL map. Excludes the VWL pool and hot tub, marina, Teton Boat and Bike rental, playground, beach and nature trail to FW:

lodge-png.133227

Courtesy of sawkam

Thank you to Wood Nymph for summarizing the state of WL/VWL after her stay in January. I've done some editing since some of what she observed in January has since changed and I've added some of my own comments which begin with *

They have that whole area blocked off so you can't walk between the South Wing and the former Hidden Springs (VWL) pool anymore.

We walked to Trail's End at Fort Wilderness this morning and saw a lot of construction vehicles in the staging area near the end of the villas building. We took the boat from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom and we could see the construction work from the boat. Almost all of the trees that used to be around the Hidden Springs pool are completely gone. And for those of you who remember the pool, that was a lot of trees! We could see the backhoe working in that area.

We also did a little exploring after dinner tonight. I was surprised to find that they had blocked off the lovely sitting area that is located on the fifth floor above the main lobby entrance doors. That sitting area has a fireplace that had a fire going in it and two big armchairs. But no one can get to it because they have put up walls to block it. The only balcony sitting area that is still open is the fourth floor seating area above the lobby entrance. All of the other ones are closed off. I think this is the biggest surprise of all. I never expected them to alter the building as much as they are doing.

To summarize as best I can without pictures:

UNCHANGED:

~Main lobby area of WL, WL pool, splash pad and Trout Pass Bar - still having pool parties, too.

~Restaurants - still serving same food in North Wing.

~Buses and their frequency - it seems like they are running on the normal schedule although there are less people on them.

~Boats - still running on the same schedule although there are less people on them.

~Wonderful, friendly cast members.

~The whole inner courtyard with the waterfall is still the same.

UNAVAILABLE OR MODIFIED:
~South wing closed - all floors.

~Entire bank of lobby elevators near The Mercantile are closed.

~Balcony viewing areas that face Bay Lake are closed on fourth floor and fifth floors.

~Sitting area above front doors on fifth floor closed off.

~Beach closed.

~Marina closed.

~*Spa closed.

~Movies moved to villas building.

~Bike rentals are available I think. I saw all the bikes stacked at the Cub's Den play area. (*Bike rentals are to remain available at WL/VWL, but no longer located at the marina.)

~Cub's Den is closed.

~The Old Faithful Club is under major renovation *with temporary lounge set-up currently in Vice-Presidential Suite. Offerings have been reduced and guests must ask for most beverages. Window-area overlooking Bay Lake and Courtyard is blocked off. The New lounge is being relocated and constructed out of the two honeymoon suites in North Wing. There will no longer be seating surounding the lobby.
They haven't started the heavy construction yet so there really isn't very much disruption at this time. But once they really get going on building the new pool and the cabins, it is going to be one heck of a major project. I would hesitate to advise anyone to stay here during that time, unless you plan to be at the parks during the work hours and you get a good discount. And the courtyard rooms that face the main pool won't really be too affected.

12/27/15 Orlando Parks News reports:

As previously reported, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is undergoing numerous refurbishment projects in an effort to enhance and refresh the Guest experience.

Beginning in January 2016, select areas of the resort will be temporarily closed due to the refurbishment, including the rooms in the south wing (unavailable starting from January 1), Cub’s Den (unavailable starting from Jan. 2), and the South Wing and Lobby Elevators (unavailable beginning from January 5).

Effective January 5, all Guests will be directed to use the elevators located near Roaring Fork Snacks, or take the stairs in the north wing. These will be the only elevators available in our main building. To get to these elevators from the lobby, Guests must:

~Take the ramp down toward Roaring Fork Snacks;
~Turn left at the bottom of the ramp;
Continue walking.
~Elevator bank is located on the left hand side at the end of the corridor.

1/6/16: Notice of Commencement updates posted HERE.

10/24 Pre-construction photos HERE.

WL DVC Expansion C
onfirmed by DVC! Details HERE.

WL South Wing DVC model room photos (door/hallway only - sorry!)

HERE

CLOSURES/IMPACT TO GUESTS:

~Recreational and leisure amenities were impacted/closed beginning 26 October 2015.

~ Major impact/closure will be to the VWL pool and the beach, to include the fire pit and playground. The nearest free nightly marshmallow roast is located at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Fort Wilderness offers the Chip 'N Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long.

~The
Teton Boat and Bike rental and nature trail that begins just behind it will also be closed. However, bike rentals will still be available and nightly movies will instead be shown indoors in the VWL lobby. The spa treatments located within Sturdy Branches will also close. The nearest spa treatments are located next door at Disney's Contemporary Resort and at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.

~Initially, it seems that the least impacted resort areas will be the North Wing rooms in WL and the VWL villas that face toward the South Wing of WL and toward the bus stop/parking lot area. Some rooms have been removed from the booking inventory. While we don't know specifically which rooms these are, they could be some villas that face the VWL pool area and some South Wing WL rooms that also face this area.

The following "internal Disney FAQ" is also located HERE.
Thank you to TheLodgeLady for the link.

To best assist Guests with planning their vacations, a team of Cast Members will advise Guests of the work taking place and assist with their questions. Guests will also receive a pre-arrival letter.

Take a look at the following frequently asked questions for more information about this project:

1) What are the refurbishment dates? When will work be complete?
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will be undergoing multiple refurbishment projects beginning in October 2015 and continuing through 2017.

2) How will this work impact my stay?
Throughout this project, Disney is committed to providing a great Guest experience. At certain times of day, there may be some noise and we may have alternative paths of travel throughout the resort. Construction related noise will likely take place between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. to insure minimal impact to Guests.

3) Why are they removing the current Hidden Springs leisure pool?
As part of the resort enhancement project, the Hidden Springs leisure pool area will be expanded to include a larger pool and more deck space, as well as a hot tub area.

4) I like the pool the way it is now because it’s smaller and more intimate than the feature pool. Why are you changing that?
Muliple DVC Members and Guests stated that they would like to see enhanced offerings at the resort. As a result, the resort will be increasing the pool area, including a larger pool and more deck space, as well as a hot tub area.

5) How long will the Hidden Springs pool be closed? Is there another pool available?
The Hidden Springs pool will be closed for an extended period while the area is under construction. However, the Silver Creek Springs, the resort feature pool, is available and features a water slide, hot tub, and children's water play area.

6) Will the Teton Boat and Bike Rentals close? Will there be an alternative?
Teton Boat and Bike Rentals will be closed in late October while refurbishment work is completed in the area. As an alternative, bikes will be available for rent near the jogging trail. If you would like to rent a boat or enjoy some fishing, you are welcome to visit the marina at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

7) Will the beach and playground area close? Any alternatives?
Yes. The beach and playground area at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground remain available throughout this refurbishment work as an alternative.

8) Will the nature trail close?
Although the nature trails at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground are closing in early October, Guests do have the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors on the paved New Balance jogging trail which connects Disney’s Wilderness Lodge with Disney’s Fort Wilderness & Campground on a 2.5 mile path.

9) What about the fire pit? Will it be closed as well?
The recreation fire pit will be closing in late October while we complete refurbishment work in the area. As an alternative, Guests are able to visit the Meadow Trading Post area of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground for Chip ‘n Dale’s Campfire Sing-A-Long, which includes a nightly campfire followed by a movie under the stars.

10) Will there be a nightly movie under the stars at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge?
The recreation staff will host a nightly movie movie indoors in the Carolwood Pacific community room in the Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge for Guests.

11) Why are the spa treatment rooms at Sturdy Branches Health Club closed?
In order to preserve the tranquil spa experience, treatments at Sturdy Branches Health Club will be temporarily unavailable from late October through early February due to construction noise in the area. Spa treatments are available at a number of locations at the Walt Disney World Resort, including nearby at Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.

12) Is watercraft transportation available during the refurbishment?
Yes. Watercraft transportation will continue to operate as normal.

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 8.18.12 AM.png

SCOPE OF THE PROJECT:

Notifications to guests indicate that construction will begin on or about October 26, 2015. This is most likely site prep work, staging and construction of access roads, though it's possible this work may begin sooner and is not considered a guest-impacted activity which merits guest notification.

According to current filings, work would be completed by APRIL 2017. However, the Notice of Commencement expires 31 August, 2018.

~A pool addition/expansion will be in the area of the existing VWL pool along with two additional buildings, possibly restrooms and a Community Hall. These two new buildings haven't yet been clearly identified in documents available to me. The new restaurant will front Bay Lake and is to be located where the current beach is now.

~26 cabins will be built along, but not in, Bay Lake.

~12 cabins will be on the North Side of the property of which 4 will sit along the shoreline in front of the North Wing's Otter Pond and 8 will continue along the shoreline in front of the Cast Member parking lot.

~14 cabins will be on the South Side beginning behind the Teton Boat and Bike Rental, and continuing along the shoreline in front of the nature trail.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 7.45.30 PM.png

From the Environmental Resource Permit:
"The project intent is to provide a unique guest experience by placing the proposed cabins close to the shoreline of Bay Lake and surrounded by a natural habitat."

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 9.07.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 6.04.36 PM.png

PROJECT LIMITS IN YELLOW:
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 6.22.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 6.19.44 PM.png

CABIN PLACEMENT:

The following imagery is courtesy of DVC Mike.

RESORT EXPANSION OVERLAY:

VWLOverlayDM.jpg

NewVWLPoolDM_1.png

EXPANSION BACKGROUND:

The Wilderness Lodge DVC expansion moved from rumor to (probable) fact on 15 May when the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts permit with the South Florida Water Management District moved into the initial review phase which expired 14 June. (See link at the top of this page for UPDATES)

Hundreds of documents related to the project are attached to the permit below and can be found by entering application number: 150515-12 into the following search
HERE. This post contains public information gathered from these documents. Disclaimer: Everything is subject to change.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.30.37 PM.png

South Florida Water Management District "Wilderness Rehab" Application UPDATE Located HERE

THE NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT was filed shortly before the water permits and it includes attachments detailing the companies involved in the project.
I did a little research on the companies involved in the Integrated Project Delivery contract for the "Wilderness Rehab Project" and here are some of the highlights:

GSB, Inc - Architect:
Glover Smith Bode provided planning and design services for the CSR convention center and provided Architect-of-Record services for AKL. As Architect-of-Record, Glover Smith Bode was responsible for transforming the dramatic vision of the design architect into a reality.

Interior Design Partner - Design Group Carl Ross:
Provides interior architectural design in the upscale and luxury markets of international hotel, resort, spa, restaurants, bars and branded residences. Specialties: Unlocking the hidden potential of unique properties.

Atkins North America - Civil Engineer Design:
Amongst MANY major projects, architect and engineer for WWOHP.

Hubbard Construction - Site Development Contractor:
The scope of Hubbard's work includes complex highway projects, site development, paving, utility and drainage systems, surveying and state-of-the-art bridge building.

Perry Becker Design - Landscape Design:
Planning, landscape architecture and thematic design firm that specializes in community planning, hospitality and resort planning. Local projects include: Bonnet Creek, Grande Lakes Resort, Grande Vista Resort, Renaissance Resort at Sea World.

Last edited:
CABIN PLACEMENT:
screen-shot-2015-05-16-at-9-12-45-am-png.97021

I think what is interesting in this picture is that it names the un built Mediterranean Hotel.

I think if done right these can be pretty good. At first I thought they were going to be over the water eye sores like the Polynesian bungalows but doesnt sound like that will be the case.

I think what is interesting in this picture is that it names the un built Mediterranean Hotel.

I think if done right these can be pretty good. At first I thought they were going to be over the water eye sores like the Polynesian bungalows but doesnt sound like that will be the case.

Well…the placement is better…

But i'm just seeing this…these are point flooders into the system. Are they any mention of retrofits to the original building that might house villas that the other 98.8675% of DVC may actually book?

I'm not seeing how they can call the view from the north wing "woods" view if the cabins are going to start right by the existing pond. If they are putting a restaurant where the beach is, will they no longer have a beach? I wonder if they will work on both sides at the same time and will they build the restaurant right away or later? We are supposed to stay at the lodge mid January, I hope it's not too torn up and noisy. God forbid we should stay at A Disney resort without construction going on. I'm sure the cabins will be great for those with unlimited income. I love WL, but it looks pretty packed together in the plans for my taste. We'll see I guess.

Never stayed at WL but seeing these expansion plans makes me think it should be added to my shortlist (after the works been done!)

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/SM/Disney_Wilderness_Lodge_DVC_Exp_Vert_1000.png

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/SM/Disney_Wilderness_Lodge_DVC_Exp_Cabins1000.png

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/SM/Disney_Wilderness_Lodge_DVC_Exp_PoolArea1000.png

Last edited:
http://i235.*************************************VWL/VWLPreOverlay_zps60urgsfj.jpg

http://i235.*************************************History/VWLOverlay_1.jpg

Last edited:
Cabins look to be 1750-1800 square feet - larger than the bungalows at the Polynesian.

http://i235.*************************************VWL/CabinSize_zpsebrq55kw.png

Last edited:
im worried now i have booked hol here in Oct .Should i switch resort!

We're booked for our 1st visit to WL (2nd visit to WDW) over Thanksgiving; I think we'll be switching resorts. Think we'll save WL for a future trip- once the construction is done. Now, to decide where to stay..... Thanks for posting this info :)

As a DVC owner I'm excited about the new changes. But sad for the next two years there will be construction. If it looks anything like the Poly demolition then I need to use my VWL points elsewhere. Happy but also sad......

Well after see this looks like I'll. E switching over to AKL in November. Really wanted to stay here b/c I love the feel of WL during the holiday but don't want to stay here during construction.

We're booked for our 1st visit to WL (2nd visit to WDW) over Thanksgiving; I think we'll be switching resorts. Think we'll save WL for a future trip- once the construction is done. Now, to decide where to stay..... Thanks for posting this info :)

We'll be staying at VWL for the first time over Thanksgiving and I'm kind of second-guessing now, too. :( I wonder if the construction will be absolutely horrible or just somewhat of a nuisance... Not sure what to do.

Following along..

WL holds a piece of my heart, I'll be very interested to see what the changes will bring.

Keeping an open mind. For now... ;)

Wow! Thanks Kook for all the information. I was struggling with not staying at WL this October but glad we are trying the Beach Club now.

We'll be staying at VWL for the first time over Thanksgiving and I'm kind of second-guessing now, too. :( I wonder if the construction will be absolutely horrible or just somewhat of a nuisance... Not sure what to do.

We just don't want to take any chances. With the reports on the way the construction panned out at the poly, I'd rather skip wl this trip and save it for when the project is done. A WDW trip is a big deal (and a big expense) for us, and I'd rather not have to worry about what might go on.
I'm not sure where we'll end up - thinking of possibly doing a split stay. I'm sure you'll have a great trip- whatever you decide! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter