WHY would people buy used APs off of ebay?

DawnM

DIS Veteran
I keep seeing used APs on ebay. Don't people know that if it gets lost, stolen, or the strip demagnetizes or it gets damaged that they will be asked for their ID to replace it? Then it will be totally worthless.

I dont' get it.

Dawn

Don't APs require a finger scan?

The only place I could see these working would be for free parking since you just show the pass and they let you through. For any other discounts, they ask for a picture id as well. I don't even want to start on the admission problems they could have

I couldn't believe this thread when I read it! What a scam that is to sell a used AP! I had to go see for myself on e-bay, and yes, there it was. It has 9 bids on it already, and is over $100. I e-mailed the seller and asked how he could sell a used AP ~ what about the fact that someone already used it and had to do the finger scan to get in? Let's see if he responds.

If someone is buying it for the parking pass feature, you'd have to go to the parks a lot (more than 10 times) to make up the price of this AP against the price to park.

Just a thought (and certainly nothing I would do myself) but since Disney is going to new one finger scanner then the old scan of two fingers will be invalid. Everyone will start with a brand new scan on the one fingered one. That means someones AP may work for someone else but of course if the machine doesn't work then you may have to show ID and then you are screwed.

ADisneygirl said:
I couldn't believe this thread when I read it! What a scam that is to sell a used AP! I had to go see for myself on e-bay, and yes, there it was. It has 9 bids on it already, and is over $100. I e-mailed the seller and asked how he could sell a used AP ~ what about the fact that someone already used it and had to do the finger scan to get in? Let's see if he responds.

If someone is buying it for the parking pass feature, you'd have to go to the parks a lot (more than 10 times) to make up the price of this AP against the price to park.

Let us know if you hear anything from the seller and what they say....it's quite curious I say!

I think some people have more money than brains! :lmao:

Judge Milian on People's Court always has such cute quotes. The other day she said: The cheap is very expensive.

DawnM said:
I keep seeing used APs on ebay. Don't people know that if it gets lost, stolen, or the strip demagnetizes or it gets damaged that they will be asked for their ID to replace it? Then it will be totally worthless.

I dont' get it.

Dawn

Simple. Because they're S*T*U*P*I*D*.

If I am at a gate an a person's AP does not work I will automatically ask for a photo ID before I will take action to have the ticket reissued. If they do not match I will take the ticket and turn it over to either a supervisor os someone from security.

In addition, if a passholder reports they cannot find their pass, the procedure of issuing a new pass will automatically void out any proir pass for that person. If someone tries to use the old pass at a turnstile we will get a message (on the greeter side) showing the pass has been voided.

Disneyrsh said:
Simple. Because they're S*T*U*P*I*D*.
Maybe it's ignorance and not stupidity. I keep seeing lots of threads (about FP, etc) where people keep calling the uninformed stupid. Do you really feel better about yourself after that? I mean...maybe someone sees it and thinks, "well, since it's being sold on ebay, I'm sure it's okay if I use it since I'll be paying for it." Sure, they SHOULD do more research if possible - but stupid? That's pretty harsh.

Cheshire Figment said:
If I am at a gate an a person's AP does not work I will automatically ask for a photo ID before I will take action to have the ticket reissued. If they do not match I will take the ticket and turn it over to either a supervisor os someone from security.

In addition, if a passholder reports they cannot find their pass, the procedure of issuing a new pass will automatically void out any proir pass for that person. If someone tries to use the old pass at a turnstile we will get a message (on the greeter side) showing the pass has been voided.

Always wondered about someone else going in first though.

I once wondered WHY a person was bidding so much (over retail) on such a ridiculous thing (but I can't remember what it was!) but I do remember contacting the BIDDER to ask them... Whatever it was, they ended up replying and thanking me for letting them know they could buy it elsewhere for less!

Perhaps one of you could contact some of the bidders to ask what we are missing? :teeth:

MyZoeJane said:
Perhaps one of you could contact some of the bidders to ask what we are missing? :teeth:
And take a chance of being suspended for auction interference? I'll pass.

I posted a free auction on eBay to get that kind of info out once, and I got many e-mails of appreciation. It cost me less than a buck to inform the consumer, and I sure felt better.

Our finger scans don't always work on our passes, but I think that since we're a family of 5 going through at once, maybe that's why we've never been asked for photo ID. I've offered to show it a couple of times, but the CM's just let us through. Maybe if it were just my husband or me it would be more suspicious.

We have had issues with our APs before too. Either the magnetic strip was not working or it got bend up and another got lost (different years). We had to show ID to get it replaced. We would have been screwed if we had been using someone else's card.

Dawn

No response from the seller and now I don't see the actual item anymore for bidding. Either the auction ended or it was pulled.

Why?

Because a fool and his money are soon parted!

bsmcneil said:
Maybe it's ignorance and not stupidity. I keep seeing lots of threads (about FP, etc) where people keep calling the uninformed stupid. Do you really feel better about yourself after that? I mean...maybe someone sees it and thinks, "well, since it's being sold on ebay, I'm sure it's okay if I use it since I'll be paying for it." Sure, they SHOULD do more research if possible - but stupid? That's pretty harsh.

"Ignorance: A willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions."

From that definition, stupidity's starting to sound nicer!

It has nothing to do with how I feel. It breaks my heart to see people let greed stand in the way of good sense.

One aspect of the stupidity is paying over retail, which I see all the time on ebay.

Caveat Emptor-if you're going to buy something THAT expensive, then yes, it's STUPID not to educate yourself about the ticket beforehand!

Let me add that I've been on ebay for 6 years now, with a 100% positive feedback, and I am STUNNED that people buy things without asking questions first!

Ebay is not out there to protect you, you HAVE to do the homework first before placing a bid! They are out to make money, and that's it.

You, as the buyer or seller, must take all possible steps to protect yourself.

Look at all the threads on the disboards about all the problems even the experienced ebayers, like myself, often encounter on Ebay.

ADisneygirl said:

And if you are going much more than that you might as well just buy the AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter