Why won't Disney talk to customers?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by eeyore_is#1, Aug 23, 2007.

1. eeyore_is#1

eeyore_is#1 Earning My Ears

This is driving me nuts. We've got a tripped booked for next week, which we booked through Westjet Vacations, including air, Pop Century, tickets, etc.

So, being the prepared vacationer, we want to confirm our ressies etc are correct with Disney. Far too many stories of things being screwed up.

So, a month ago, we call Disney. They tell us they can't look anything up, we have to call our travel agent. Well, I know Westjet has the correct info, I want to make sure it's not screwed up on Disney's computer. So that's not really going to help, is it? :rolleyes:

So, finally on one call I get given the info that once we get within five days of our stay, I can call Pop Century, and confirm they have the correct dates, number of people in the room, and if available, I can request adjoining rooms without too far of a distance to go for our grandmother in a wheelchair, etc.

So, we're five days out tonight. I call Pop Century, they have no idea what we're talking about, and transfer us to to CRO again. And once again, they refuse to even confirm that we have a reservation.

This is bloody ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago, we were investigating joining the DVC. Now, I just want to cancel the whole freakin' vacation, it's so bloody annoying.

So, what's the secret? How do you actually find out if your reservations are correct? :sad2:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

You booked through a travel agent. They "own" the reservation until you are standing at the counter. Your agent would have to call and check for you.

4. lilyv

lilyv <font color=green>I'm looking for a place that's n

You used a travel agent. You have to talk to them. If you want to deal direct with Disney in the future, you need to book your own trip directly with Disney.

5. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

::yes::
    That is why Disney can't talk to you.

6. eeyore_is#1

So, is there some good reason for this, or is it just a Disney policy to attempt to coerce folks to book directly?

Oh, and what was with the "Call five days out" stuff? Sheer idiocy?

7. lilyv

lilyv <font color=green>I'm looking for a place that's n

Question 1 Answer: Actually it's standard policy within the travel industry.

8. septbaby

septbaby DIS Veteran

You're going on vacation, don't arrive with a chip on your shoulder, it won't be nearly as much fun that way. Your agent is supposed to do the work for you so you DON'T need to call Disney. Just bring your travel documents and an outlook for a great family vacation and you'll be fine.

Spending time on these boards will certainly make you want to reach out to the Mouse directly, but relax you have people doing that for you. As for the 5 day comment, perhaps an honest mistake or a misunderstanding of the question.

In any event, a Magical time awaits, are you ready to receive it?

9. disneydance

disneydance DIS Veteran

Your TA owns the reservation till the moment you check in call her and ask her to call disney for you

10. Scornelius

Scornelius <font color=deeppink>Suburban Princess<br><font co

I totally understand your frustration. I booked through CAA, and I've hated not being able to call Disney directly. Thank goodness I can still micromanage my ADRs!
    I figure the reason that they only let the TAs check and change any information is so there can't be any miscommunication because both you and the TA are altering the details. If you want to handle it yourself, you're better off booking directly with Disney.
    I hope you get into the spirit soon! I'm sure everything will be fine, and you'll have a terrific vacation. Maybe I'll see you there!

11. eeyore_is#1

Well, that's just it. We don't have a TA. You phone Westjet, pay the fees, get an email back in confirmation. That's it for interaction. They won't phone Disney for you for anything.

Westjet is Canada's 2nd large airline (but easily the best). The whole vacation thing is sort of a sideline.

Anyway, not much to do other than arrive, and hope everything is correct.

12. GRUMPY PIRATE

GRUMPY PIRATE First rule, always!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I booked with Disney travel online, paid fo it, etc. When I sent an E-mail to the IPO asking for some tours, dinner reservations and gave them my arrival and departure flights, they booked them seperately, AND CHARGED my CC on file. after numberious E-mails, and telephone calls to SEVERAL "supervisors" the story that I ws given was the the IPO office doesn't know my iternery, dosn't know I have already paid for a town car, and doesn't know that I have club level reservations because they, and I quote: "do not have access to (your) reservation, even though it was made through WDW reservations"

Unless they were lying....

13. eeyore_is#1

That's perfectly understandable to only allow changes from the TA.

But I fail to see why when you provide them with a reservation number, they can't tell you even the simplest fact such as what date they have you arriving and departing. They won't even confirm the existence of a reservation. :confused3

Only good things would come from confirming reservation details. If there actually was a mistake, confirming would allow the customer to contact the TA and get things straightened out, before it was too late.

This policy simply means that when mistakes do happen, it won't be discovered until an angry customer is shouting across the desk at a Cast Member.

14. Quinn222

Quinn222 DIS Veteran

Because it isn't your reservation. It's all in your TAs name. As far as they are concerned you don't have a reservation, your TA does.

15. lustergirl

lustergirl DIS Veteran

<<<< never booked with anyone else- always do it myself then I don't have to worry because I am in complete control of everything. May I suggest next time booking it yourself. The disney website is a great tool you can use for booking your next vacation yourself or perhaps you could call them up next time to put in your ressie.

Good Luck!!

16. cdrn1

cdrn1 <font color=royalblue>what I wouldn't give to have

I usually book everything myself but used a TA for an upcoming trip because I stumbled on to a really good rate. It has been very painful for me to sit back and wait and not be in charge of my vacation. I added some days on to the beginning of my TA-booked vacation so I am at least in charge of something!

17. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

Actually, disneys is not trying to coerce any thing. This is your TA "protecting" her assets. Most TA's perfer that you deal with them, that's how they make their money. Disney is more than happy to take your money.
    As other posters have said, this is pretty routine.

18. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 <font color=green>I just love those parmesan mashe

Book with CRO next time, & not a travel agent.

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope your trip is great!!

19. cara loves the poly

cara loves the poly DIS Veteran

This is exactly why I will not book through AAA. I pay rack rate, get my room and tickets together and am in complete control. No last minute "surprises"!

20. LadyTrampScamp&Angel

LadyTrampScamp&Angel DIS Veteran

Don't be mad at Disney.

Although people are using the phrase "TA" it's the same when you use a travel vendor. You did not book directly through Disney, you used a vendor apparently called WestJet, even if they are an airline with vacations as a smaller business segment - that's who you used. The vendor owns your ressie now. You gave control to the vendor and so things don't get changed without that vendor's knowledge, you have to go through them.

Actually "bad" can happen when someone goes around their vendor or TA, that is why the industry doesn't allow it. The vendor or TA is a someone to keep everything straight. It's not a Disney policy, it's a travel industry policy. If you had booked a Hawaii trip through Pleasant Hawaiian, you'd have the same kind of problem.

If you prefer to manage your vacation yourself, you'll need to book it yourself. Don't worry too much, it will most likely be wonderful, just make sure all your documents are correct, take them and any confirmation documents with you.

Have fun!

21. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

As stated when you book through any type of travel agency be it even Travelocity or Expedia, they own the reservations and truly there is NO info in the Disney computer system about that information for them to even check.

As the 5 days out. On 5 days out the travel agency sends the info to Disney and then about that time Disney reservations center sends the info to the resort.

Your frustration is simply a case of not realizing what you were getting into, Disney is doing nothing wrong.