why should I do on line check in?

charity

Mouseketeer
What is on line check in and what will it help me with? Do I have to use it?

Online check in allows you to 'check-in' to your resort prior to arrival. It does allow you to enter a room request or celebration which should already have been entered when you made your reservation anyway, so....

What does it help you with??? Not much really.

Nope, you do not have to do it.

Have a great trip!

:)

It will probably save you some time upon arrival. If you do the online check in you go to a different line where they have your packet already printed up for you with your keys/passes/etc....

If you do online check does it diminish your chance for a room upgrade?

I don't think so, we did online check in last time and got a boat load of pixie dust. We were upgraded from a water view to a deluxe cl room.

Jen7079 said:
I don't think so, we did online check in last time and got a boat load of pixie dust. We were upgraded from a water view to a deluxe cl room.

I am glad to hear that (and congrats on the pixie dust)!!

You should do online check in if:
-you have no room requests
-you are arriving on a Saturday or Sunday between 10am-2p
-you are arriving during a busy time of year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, etc)

Online check-in can cut down on your wait time and more often than not, they will try to have your room ready for when you arrive. Because of this, they often disregard requests in favor of getting you into a room that's ready. If you ask to change your room at online check-in, your packet has to be re-done and room assignments need to be switched around. Took us about 25 minutes when we did this so I will not do online check-in again.

-you are arriving during a busy time of year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, etc)

Online check-in can cut down on your wait time and more often than not, they will try to have your room ready for when you arrive. Because of this, they often disregard requests in favor of getting you into a room that's ready. If you ask to change your room at online check-in, your packet has to be re-done and room assignments need to be switched around. Took us about 25 minutes when we did this so I will not do online check-in again.

Well, on the flip side of this, I *didn't* do online checkin for our trip in 2011, and checkin for us at SSR was a *disaster*. The day we checked in, Disney was integrating the new Hawaiian offerings and the computer/reservations systems (apparently worldwide) were totally hosed up. The lines at check-in to SSR were five-plus deep in four different lines and people were sitting and waiting throughout the lobby. We had made special plans to drive into Orlando early and "steal" and extra half-day at DTD and catch an evening in one of the parks...but...

When we checked in, we had been given a "preliminary" room number that we were told to call back and confirm in about 30 mins (the clerk gave us a ph# to call to verify). We did; the person we spoke with had no clue what we were talking about. Then they told us they didn't have the room type we booked (2-BR villa, so they were moving us down to a 1BR studio. I explained to them that wasn't acceptable). Then they said our reservation was botched up in the computers, and had to rebuild it from scratch as I stood there.

About two hours later, they did finally assign a room..so we get our keycards, drive over, luggage in tow...we open the door, and the room was OCCUPIED!! Suitcases, food, and souvenir bags, the works.

I wasn't happy.

So we drive back to the carriage house, explain the situation...wait a half-hour, and they assigned us a different room...we drove over to it, and this time, the KEYS didn't work...so we drove back to the Carriage House, and after another half-hour, they cut us new keys, and we're finally in. It took us FOUR-PLUS hours to get into our room, and it wasted our first afternoon at Disney. We were so tired, frustrated, and hungry that all we ended up doing was drive ourselves over to Earl of Sandwich to grab something to eat, and called it a night. All that pivoted around the computers being screwed up (among other things).

Sooo, with that sad story in hand, this time, even if its nothing more than checking an electronic box in a database somewhere, I'm going to try online check-in this time around :)

Just the other day, I was reading a post from a CM saying to do the online check-in because those are the first to be assigned regarding requests!

I just checked in online for our arrival on Thursday. Hopefully pixie dust is thrown our way. I know that the resort is full and there are basically no rooms available. Maybe we will be the lucky ones picked to be upgraded. Anyone know how to better your odds to be upgraded?
:cool1:

Online check-in can cut down on your wait time and more often than not, they will try to have your room ready for when you arrive. Because of this, they often disregard requests in favor of getting you into a room that's ready.

This used to be the case. With the new system, you can check a box that states something to the affect of "I would rather wait for my room to be ready in order to help my requests be met".

MADnNOLA said:
Just the other day, I was reading a post from a CM saying to do the online check-in because those are the first to be assigned regarding requests!

If this is true.... its good to know!! Thanks!!

This used to be the case. With the new system, you can check a box that states something to the affect of "I would rather wait for my room to be ready in order to help my requests be met".

The message actually offers the logical opposite - that is, you're asked to check a box to "have your room ready in preference to all other requests."

I did online check in this morning, so that was as of about four hours ago. I'm staying at SSR, and was hoping to get the option to request assignment in The Springs, but the only thing close to that was "Near Carriage Hall." And I checked the box to have the room ready early, as we're driving in well before normal check-in time and I'm trying desperately to avoid the fiasco I described above. I sure want The Springs because it is the closest to Carriage Hall, but if I have to make a choice, I'd rather the room be ready when we get there. I'm crossing my fingers that if there is some priority or preference given based on when the request was made, getting the request in 60 days ahead gives me about the best chance of the most things being honored. We'll see.

It only makes sense that some priority assignment is being done, because the only way you could just "show your ID and get your keycards/magic bands" was if the thing was already assigned for the projected time of arrival.

I've done both.

I liked the online check in as far as I walked in they had my packet ready and I just went to my room. (I had a split stay at 3 resorts)

I did change on the last resort. I was at a point that whatever room was available was more important to me than my requests. They changed it up in about 5 minutes.

My next trip I will probably do online. I am only doing one resort, I paid for the catatgory I wanted, and I'm in a small resort so even if I don't get my building request it should be fine.

In fact the only problem would be if I get upgraded in catagory, as a River view at POFQ would put us further away from where I want to be.

When I have a vary particular preference I would go back to resort checkin but for the no hassle checkin Online is the better deal.

I just checked in online for our arrival on Thursday. Hopefully pixie dust is thrown our way. I know that the resort is full and there are basically no rooms available. Maybe we will be the lucky ones picked to be upgraded. Anyone know how to better your odds to be upgraded?
:cool1:

Here's my best advice.

Don't expect a free upgrade or ask for a free upgrade; don't set yourself up for disappointment and don't put out the CM's who prefer to do it as a surprise to their guest.

You can ask how much to upgrade and then decide whether it is worth it to you to pay the difference or not.

Realize that you have no control over why people get upgrades. They have to do with rooms being out of inventory and overbooking by the resort. You have no way of knowing when and how it will occur. It is done at the convenience of the resort.

Be happy you are at Disney and everything else is icing on the cake.

See I was worried about this..We are staying at AKV on rented points in a Deluxe standard view studio and I always just ask at check in if it is possible to get a savanah view??? So that is what is keeping me from checking in on line for this trip. So I think I will just wait and check in like normal in hopes of getting my savanah view...It has worked before!:goodvibes

The past few times that I have done online checkin, I was able to make some pretty specific requests. When at SSR in Dec, I was asked about the area I wanted to be in ...had no idea since I had never stayed there before, so just checked off close to bus stop! And that's what I got.
I did online checkin for my two value resorts stay next month...again, I was asked for specific bldg choice....and what level floor I wanted.
But, I also checked off that I would rather have my room ready when I got there and go with nothing requested in favor of 'room ready'. So, we'll see what happens next month!!

See I was worried about this..We are staying at AKV on rented points in a Deluxe standard view studio and I always just ask at check in if it is possible to get a savanah view??? So that is what is keeping me from checking in on line for this trip. So I think I will just wait and check in like normal in hopes of getting my savanah view...It has worked before!:goodvibes
Those staying on points are seldom offered upgrades. It would be exceedingly rare for that to happen. We have heard reports of that happening and the member being charged for the addtl point usage!!! So be very careful!!

I have been renting points since 2006 from my DVC friend and the majority of the time we stay at AKV. Each time I book a standard view and we have always gotten bumped up to a Savanah or atleast a pool view:yay:
I have yet to stay in the standard view...Now this I guess could be my first time, but It does not hurt to ask and if one is available they usually are really nice about upgrading us. We have never been charged the point difference either.:goodvibes

So what ever happens I am fine with it cause we are not in our room much anyway...Still I will smile and be gracious and ask "Would it be possible for us to get a savanah view":cutie:

I'm not a huge fan of on line check in. I would only use it if:

#1 I didn't give a fig at all where my room was located or what view I got.
#2 I was going during a peak season (say, over the 4th of July) and wanted to avoid a potentially huge line.

If room location is make or break, if them putting you in building #3 simply wouldn't do and you would ask for a different location, on line check in is almost pointless. You are banking on getting your requests met. And if they are not it will take even longer for you to check in, as they will have to void out the room keys they have ready and start over from the beginning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter