Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip? Link to New TR 6/24 p136!

I'm here, a little late, but here! I am excited to read your TR because I grew up in the Northern VA area so you have already started talking about places I know. Hurricane Irene sure caused a lot of traffic/vacation issues. We had an unexpectedly longer stay in Florida due to Irene and were worried our Labor Day plans in Ocean City, MD might be cancelled due to hurricane damage.

Excited to see what you end up doing in Williamsburg. I always found Colonial Williamsburg fun, but I totally love history things like that.

Um, and the drive to the White Mountains can be killer - since we did that this summer. I can only imagine it would feel so long after driving 6 hours to get up to MA/NH.

Lots of drama to start the trip. I remember the University of Delaware announcing they were starting the semester late as well and trying to keep students from moving in. Just a strange set of events. Anyway, I hope it worked out the best for your son!

To answer your question from earlier, we haven't been to Williamsburg yet...been waiting for the kids to get a little older so they can understand what's going on. But I'll be interested to see what you think of it!

I grew up in Maine. In Kittery actually which is right across from Portsmouth, NH. Marc & I actually were married in Portsmouth. Acadia is gorgeous, simply stunning, especially at this time of year with the leaves changing colors. :goodvibes I miss living in Maine, someday I am going to move back.

Really? How cool. Portsmouth looks like a really cool town. I have often said that if I could have my dream locations it would be Maine in the summer and Florida in the winter.

I am somewhat curious about the new Disney cruise that is going to sail up to Nova Scotia next summer. I think they have some stops in Maine, if I'm not mistaken.

Wouldn't it be great to take a vacation every 2 months??? So many great places to visit.

I am so jealous you went to Williamsburg, Marc and I have been talking about going there for the last two years but we have just not found the time or money to go. I'm really looking forward to your pictures and hearing on how you liked it.

I know you like history attractions, so you would probably love Williamsburg. It's rather daunting because there is Colonial williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, the battlefields, and the victory center. Then there's Norfolk and Hampton VA within close proximity. Richmond is also close. There's the touristy section of williamsburg, William & Mary, the pottery, the outlets, Busch Gardens and its water park. And I'm sure I am forgetting things. It's a lot to wrap your head around, which is why I think you need a week and its also why I would like to return next summer.

What a pain in the rear that Irene caused! So sorry about the stress with the reservations. But what a nice outcome that you got some alone time with the hubbie!

It really did all work out in the end. I felt the worst about inviting Nick's GF to go with us and then having to cancel. I really would have liked to go with Nick and his GF. She's a lovely girl and it would have been fun for everyone. But, I am certainly not complaining about having some alone time with Denny. That rarely happens.

I'm here, a little late, but here! I am excited to read your TR because I grew up in the Northern VA area so you have already started talking about places I know. Hurricane Irene sure caused a lot of traffic/vacation issues. We had an unexpectedly longer stay in Florida due to Irene and were worried our Labor Day plans in Ocean City, MD might be cancelled due to hurricane damage.

Welcome LilAnn! Thanks so much for joining in. I did not realize you were from Va. I guess you really can't complain about staying in Florida longer, right! :rotfl: That worked in your favor! Glad you were able to visit OC,MD without any problems! :thumbsup2

Excited to see what you end up doing in Williamsburg. I always found Colonial Williamsburg fun, but I totally love history things like that.

It really is a fabulous place. I enjoyed it more than ever this time because I am such a better planner than I used to be, so I knew what I wanted to do. Like I said, my only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.

Um, and the drive to the White Mountains can be killer - since we did that this summer. I can only imagine it would feel so long after driving 6 hours to get up to MA/NH.

Exactly - the beginning of the trip is easy but if you go up the highway between NH & VT then you have to spend your last 1 1/2 hours going through the mountains. Pretty - yes - but all you want to do is get there. :sad2:

Lots of drama to start the trip. I remember the University of Delaware announcing they were starting the semester late as well and trying to keep students from moving in. Just a strange set of events. Anyway, I hope it worked out the best for your son!

Yeah - UD didn't even let anyone move in. I think their move in day must have been Friday, maybe?? Salisbury must have decided that Thursday morning because no one knew about it. Or at least most people didn't until they got there. Still - it was good to get everything moved in. What a community effort they had going on there. Very well organized. I was just happy that we didn't have a 6:30am move in time. I would not have wanted to spend the money to stay down there and then bring my son home.

To answer your question from earlier, we haven't been to Williamsburg yet...been waiting for the kids to get a little older so they can understand what's going on. But I'll be interested to see what you think of it!

We took my boys when they were going into 2nd and 4th grade. We did the BG park and water park thing. We also took them to the VA air and space museum. We had dinner in colonial Williamsburg and we visited Jamestown. I didn't take them on any of the tours in historic W-burg because I didn't think they would love it, but we did go up there and walk around at night and during the day. It is free to just walk up there, but you pay to actually go in the houses.

It really is a great trip and the location from where we live can't be beat!

Wow - what a chaotic mess that Irene caused!
Did you ever figure out why Brian was out of touch that night?

I recognize a lot of the roads and highway signs you took, that bridge/tunnel makes me so nervous! We've done it a few times. My relatives (well, DH's actually) live near Hampton and in Williamsburg. I love going only for the fun of Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown!! Their tiny town is not much for visiting. Busch Gardens is fun too. It's no WDW, but it will do in a pinch!

Looks like a nice condo you got!

I thought for sure I commented on your first update last night!!! :confused3

What a pain to take Brian to school to find out he couldn't stay!

It seems everything worked out well though! Even though it sounds like an adventurous few days!

Woo hoo for finally making it to Williamsburg!!! Your room looks lovely! Almost DVC-ish!!

Can't wait to hear about your Williamsburg fun!

What gorgeous pictures...but you always take amazing pictures!!! Glad you were able to go on your trip and YAY for Brian making it to school!!! Salisbury looks like a great school!!!!!!

That US 13 drive to the bridge-tunnel is AWFUL. Nearly 3 hours of nothing. At least the bridge is interesting once you get there!

Wow! What a start to your trip!!

The campus looks just beautiful - gorgeous! I hope he has a great year.

Your condo in Williamsburg looks VERY nice! I'm glad they were able to work with you on the reservation.

Can you believe I somehow lost my subscription to this baby? Good thing I figured it out before you got too far along.

Hey, I thought the pictures of your resort looked familiar and I realized that I've stayed at that resort too! A number of years ago...I talked my parents into going with us to Williamsburg and we got some big ol' suite. It was nice.

I have to say that I had a tear when you were talking about the girl that snubbed him....as mom's we always want to shield them from that pain don't we?

Beautiful pictures of the campus.....and that house...that is my dream house that you took a picture of:lmao:

Wow - what a chaotic mess that Irene caused!
Did you ever figure out why Brian was out of touch that night?

You know - Irene could have been soooooooo much worse. The anticipation and the overreaction was the worst part.

Brian actually fell asleep at his friend's house. I guess he must have gone to sleep around 10pm, which is really odd for him. That's why he never answered his texts, but I just got weirdly worried about him. He was so emotional the first time we took him to school and he has had some behavioral problems so I got scared that maybe...... I don't know....... I don't like to think about it. But I just had this weird fear that I was going to be one of those parents who suddenly finds out their kid is so depressed that........OK - enough of that. I am going to a dark place.

He is actually doing well at school. I think he desperately needed this chance at independence and I am encouraged that he will be OK when all this teenage angst is over.

I recognize a lot of the roads and highway signs you took, that bridge/tunnel makes me so nervous! We've done it a few times. My relatives (well, DH's actually) live near Hampton and in Williamsburg. I love going only for the fun of Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown!! Their tiny town is not much for visiting. Busch Gardens is fun too. It's no WDW, but it will do in a pinch!

So you have probably done everything we did and much, much more. It is a very cool area.

The first time I went through the tunnel I was a little weirded out, but this time I was fine. Probably because we have been on that road at least 3 times in the last few years. Having the camera helps.

BG was a lot of fun. I didn't intend to go there, but once I saw the signs I really got the theme park itch! :rotfl:

Looks like a nice condo you got!

For $120 a night it was wonderful! ;)

I thought for sure I commented on your first update last night!!! :confused3

What a pain to take Brian to school to find out he couldn't stay!

It was pretty crazy. They had all types of events planned for their first weekend including a really interesting speaker. All that stuff got canceled. It's a shame they got the abbreviated version of their orientation weekend.

It seems everything worked out well though! Even though it sounds like an adventurous few days!

Woo hoo for finally making it to Williamsburg!!! Your room looks lovely! Almost DVC-ish!!

It did work out much better than I could have ever anticipated. And our room was lovely and quite big. I will definitely rent points from this guy next time. He was really legit. He point blank told me that he wants return renters, so once he realized this hurricane was the "real deal" he did what he had to do to get me a new reservation.

Funny you should say DVCish because the whole time I was there I kept thinking that DVC should build a resort there, but then I realized - DOH - its never going to happen because of Busch Gardens.

What a crazy start to your vacation!!! :faint:

Where IS that smilie????? I need it!

Amy - I am just so glad I didn't go to New England. I think the outcome would have been so much worse!

That US 13 drive to the bridge-tunnel is AWFUL. Nearly 3 hours of nothing. At least the bridge is interesting once you get there!

You are not kidding! It's painful! And even though its getting more developed along that route, all that does is make the lights longer. :rotfl: That's why we decided to stop at a Food Lion somewhere in the "middle of nowhere" Virginia. We needed a break. It was the most disgusting store, too. Very run down and flies everywhere. Yuck!

The bridge is totally cool. I agree. I like to stop at the gift shop and go out on the pier, but we were already running so late.

Wow! What a start to your trip!!

Seriously. It was definitely a weird start. I was starting to go stir crazy by Sunday. I would definitely be the first one kicked off the island. :rotfl:

The campus looks just beautiful - gorgeous! I hope he has a great year.

The campus is very pretty. Its a small campus compare to University of Delaware, but it is also a national arboretum.

Your condo in Williamsburg looks VERY nice! I'm glad they were able to work with you on the reservation.

The gentleman I rented points from ended up being awesome. I will definitely rent from him again. That resort was SOOOOOOOO much better than staying in a hotel room. I really enjoyed it.

Can you believe I somehow lost my subscription to this baby? Good thing I figured it out before you got too far along.

Thank goodness. I didn't want to lose you! :rotfl: I want to get through Williamsburg before we leave for Hilton Head!!!! So I am going to move it along!

Hey, I thought the pictures of your resort looked familiar and I realized that I've stayed at that resort too! A number of years ago...I talked my parents into going with us to Williamsburg and we got some big ol' suite. It was nice.

The Historic Powhatan Resort. I never did figure out the right pronunciation. The resort got very mixed reviews on trip advisor, but like I said, I was totally going budget on this trip so for $360 I knew it might be bad. But it was actually very nice. No complaints except the TV's were definitely in need of an upgrade.

I have to say that I had a tear when you were talking about the girl that snubbed him....as mom's we always want to shield them from that pain don't we?

:hug: I know. It really was very sad. He dated this girl several years ago and I know they remained friends, but Brian is friends with everyone. I seriously had no idea that he still had a thing for her. He never let on. As rough as Brian is on the exterior, I think he is really a sensitive kid. It's a painful lesson and I hope he forgets about this girl and moves on. At least he has the insight to know he needs to move on. I basically told him to just make himself unavailable - permanently.

Beautiful pictures of the campus.....and that house...that is my dream house that you took a picture of:lmao:

The campus is very pretty. In fact, we are going tomorrow for a visit.

Isn't that house lovely. Its out in the middle of nowhere, but lovely all the same.

The campus looked lovely. I think that it is better if children go away to college. Gives them a chance to grow up with still some supervision. The hardest for me was leaving after we took our one son to college in Butte, Mt. That was 2000 miles from home! :scared1:

If you go back to Williamsburg do the W&M college tour. Thta place is so historic. Also, did you go to both Jamestowns? The fake one is fun, but the real one is so interesting. We stayed in the Market Square Tavern for our 3th anniversary. That was great staying in the heart of the historic district.

That tunnel under the bay is not for me, we crossed theJames river rather than go in the tunnel at Hampton. Hampton has a really beautiful restored carousel down by the waterfront.

The campus looked lovely. I think that it is better if children go away to college. Gives them a chance to grow up with still some supervision. The hardest for me was leaving after we took our one son to college in Butte, Mt. That was 2000 miles from home! :scared1:

I agree - I think some kids really need to go away to college and experience the dorm life. Especially if they are dependent on their parents for too many things.

Honestly - I can't imagine one of my sons going to school 2000 miles away. WOW! That's pretty huge! I think I am realizing that there are so many good school choices within an 8 hour radius that its easiest to start the search there.

If you go back to Williamsburg do the W&M college tour. Thta place is so historic. Also, did you go to both Jamestowns? The fake one is fun, but the real one is so interesting. We stayed in the Market Square Tavern for our 3th anniversary. That was great staying in the heart of the historic district.

I would love to take the W&M tour. Again - just not enough time.

We only went to Yorktown, not Jamestown. That is why I need to go back. I want to tour both battlefields. It was just impossible to do everything I wanted to do once we made the decision to visit BG.

The Market Street Tavern sound very cool. I would love that!

That tunnel under the bay is not for me, we crossed theJames river rather than go in the tunnel at Hampton. Hampton has a really beautiful restored carousel down by the waterfront.

We actually went to Hampton and saw the carousel. I really wanted to do the naval base tour and I knew Denny would love that. It turned out to be a fabulous tour and really well worth the money. I will write about that soon!

Oh no on Brian being heartbroken - I hope college life has made him feel better.

I love the campus and condo pics. I'm glad you still decided to go with everything that was happening :thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading more.

Where IS that smilie????? I need it!

Amy - I am just so glad I didn't go to New England. I think the outcome would have been so much worse!

That smilie :faint: is faint with colons on both sides. :thumbsup2

New England wasn't meant to be this year... but you'll get there.

I'm here!!!! I am so busy with school and work, and it's Homecoming weekend here and well, mother's of daughters know only too well what that means. lol Plus my kids are all here at the same time so we usually get the picture of all of us that ends up going in my Christmas cards. lol

LOVE your Williamsburg pics! My best friend moved to Virginia Beach a couple years ago, I really need to go visit her and see all of that.

Aww your post about him getting upset made me almost cry. My son is 20 and if he did that my heart would just break. I hope college is going well for him too, his school is absolutely gorgeous. I love campuses that have character.

Ok back to learning all the bones of the body. Oh wait I would rather do my hair. lol (pictures later......where are my priorities!!!)

Oh no on Brian being heartbroken - I hope college life has made him feel better.

I love the campus and condo pics. I'm glad you still decided to go with everything that was happening :thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading more.

We just saw Brian yesterday. It was parent's day. Now we probably won't see him again until Thanksgiving. It's hard to get a sense of how he's doing. I think OK, but I'm not completely sure. He knows he has to maintain a certain GPA to stay and if he doesn't we won't continue to pay, so hopefully he can do it.

I hope to get to a real W-burg update soon. This weekend just really got away from me.

That smilie :faint: is faint with colons on both sides. :thumbsup2

New England wasn't meant to be this year... but you'll get there.

I need to try that :faint: :worship: Who Hoo - It worked!!!!! Thanks!

Yes - there will be another time for New England! :thumbsup2

I'm here!!!! I am so busy with school and work, and it's Homecoming weekend here and well, mother's of daughters know only too well what that means. lol Plus my kids are all here at the same time so we usually get the picture of all of us that ends up going in my Christmas cards. lol

LOVE your Williamsburg pics! My best friend moved to Virginia Beach a couple years ago, I really need to go visit her and see all of that.
Welcome Sam!!!!! Our homecoming is next weekend and Nick is actually the junior class prince so we spent this evening making sure he has a jacket that still fits and the right shirt and ties! But girls - much, much more labor intensive. :rotfl:

Virginia Beach is very cool. Not to spoil anything - but we did stop there on the way home and I have some pics. Great location. You would love it!

Aww your post about him getting upset made me almost cry. My son is 20 and if he did that my heart would just break. I hope college is going well for him too, his school is absolutely gorgeous. I love campuses that have character.

We went to see him yesterday for parent's weekend. I hope he is doing OK academically. He also has some ADD issues which make it hard for him to focus, so I'm really not sure how its going. But it was nice to have lunch with him and walk around the campus. And. of course, take more pictures!:goodvibes

Ok back to learning all the bones of the body. Oh wait I would rather do my hair. lol (pictures later......where are my priorities!!!)

Ugggh! Good luck with that - all 200 plus! :rotfl:

I'm in! I've never been to Williamsburg...interested to hear all about it!
Welcome norybell! Thanks so much for joining in! W-burg coming soon!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!