Why no Character meal at Downton Disney?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by stoudt6, Apr 17, 2010.

1. stoudt6

stoudt6 Mouseketeer

Obviously it would be Dinner Only but think it would be a hit for that Area especially at old Pleasure Island. Think a Boys/Vilians meal would even be better.:confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disneyjay

disneyjay Earning My Ears

I believe the Regal Sun resort across from DTD has a sat. morn character breakfast.

4. TDC Nala

TDC Nala 1937, what a year that was

For character meals, Disney appears to be sticking with having them inside the theme parks or at resorts within walking or monorail distance of theme parks. Some of the outlying resorts used to have character meals but they were done away with.

There's also only one restaurant at DTD that is operated by Disney, so if they were to have a character meal anywhere else, they'd have to have some sort of third party agreement like they no doubt have for Disney characters to appear at the Regal Sun (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for breakfast) and the Swan (nightly character dinner, character breakfast on weekends).

5. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

CR Resort Fan 4 Life DIS Veteran

True story but a lot long time Chef Mickey's use to be located where the Rainforest Cafe is, so they use to have character meals at Downtown Disney.

6. kaybird

kaybird DIS Veteran

There was also a charater meal at DTD on the boat that is now Foulton's. We went to that several times. They all come and go.

7. Art 1

Art 1 DIS Veteran

I remember that one. Took our oldest there maybe in 1986. Time flies.

8. wezee

wezee Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams abou

Better idea is to bring back PI as an adults getaway.

9. Cookie Princess

Cookie Princess DIS Veteran

Now you are just making some of us look old...ha-ha! I do remember eating dinner here around 1989.

10. oybolshoi

oybolshoi DIS Veteran

Preaching to the choir here! :thumbsup2

In regard to the original post, I think TDC Nala is correct - there are very few, if any, Disney owned and operated restaurants at DTD. Why should they set something up with a third party and then not recognize all the profits from the character meal? Even if they did (and do in some rare instances - The Swan, for one) they would never establish something that could be as potentially popular as a Villain character experience in a non-Disney owned locale ... they want your money too badly for that.

11. mom2rb

mom2rb DIS Veteran

I went to this one on my honeymoon, in 1996. It was great.

12. TDC Nala

TDC Nala 1937, what a year that was

I actually think they could squeeze some life into Cap'n Jack's (the only Disney-operated restaurant at DTD) if they were to retheme it as a pirate lair and hire some pirates.

13. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Ooh, I like that! The name already fits too. :thumbsup2

14. ajjollie23

ajjollie23 Planning our next trip

A pirate themed character meal @ Cap'n Jacks...that would be lots of fun, my boys would LOVE that !! pirate: