Why no boy themed character meals?!?!

I am not being Exclusive but do you really think 2 Main Disney Princess places are really for boys. I took my son to the castle last trip and he was fine with it but I would say it is more for girls.

I woud love a villan, pirate or Pixar restaurant.

MGM has the stars and motor cars parade and I would love to see the Pixar people in their own character meal.

traviesojmt said:
It's great that your son enjoys the princess character meals. No one is saying that he can't enjoy them. What we are saying is that OUR sons don't enjoy it. My son HATES the idea of having to eat with the princesses. He is at the age where he doesn't like that kind of attention from girls. You are looking at this from your family's perspective only. In our family, my son would like a meal that is directly more towards boys. Does that mean that girls won't like it? No, many girls would have just as much fun. We aren't looking for exclusionary, many of us would just like more options for our sons. If that isn't something that your son is interested in that is perfectly fine. I really fail to understand why it seems to upset you so that many of us have sons who would enjoy something else. Disney does, however, have no problem making things for girls only. They just opened the Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique which caters to only girls. Then they also have the My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party which is for girls only. If they have no problem with those girls only activies, what is wrong with something just for boys?

Again, fine to say let's come up with MORE things that more boys enjoy, but how in the world can we come up with something JUST For boys in our culture? You can't! There is the pirate cruise, the adventurer's room at WOD, and again, if we get some hero/villian, or Toy Story meals, that will be more boys like.

But there is plenty of gender neutral fun to be had, which is why I can't understand why people are lamenting "there's nothing for BOYS". Yes there is! There are many meals with characters boys can enjoy.

I am not looking at it from my family perspective only - I know other boys would not enjoy a princess meal. But to say a princess meal is for 'girls only' is condescending and sexist. That's what I take issue with the most.

And with that, I'm done with this debate. I just can't understand the need to compartmentalize our kids so much.

And we are not saying girls can't attend or enjoy it too.

Yes, some people are. That's what I keep jumping in to point out. Many people have stated, 'we want something that is for boys only like the princess meals are for girls only'.

If people have changed their tune and understand that (for the millionth time) this is about increasing variety to have more meals that appeal to boys INCLUSIVELY and not coming up with a 'boys only' meal, then I have nothing more to add. Thanks.

cstraub said:
I believe BBB is for boys too. They can get dressed up like a pirate I think. The GF offers the Disney Princess Tea Party but they also offer the Pirate Cruise (can't get anymore boy themed than that).
That would be so cool! I will have to look into that.

cstraub said:
I believe BBB is for boys too. They can get dressed up like a pirate I think. The GF offers the Disney Princess Tea Party but they also offer the Pirate Cruise (can't get anymore boy themed than that).

Is the pirate new at BBB? The Disney website says that it is for girls 3 and up. It doesn't mention anything regarding boys.

traviesojmt said:
Is the pirate new at BBB? The Disney website says that it is for girls 3 and up. It doesn't mention anything regarding boys.

I'm pretty sure. I thought I read it somewhere. Also when I was there with DD I overheard a mom tell her son he was getting dressed up too along with his sister.

ETA: I have seen that there is a cool dude version for $10 bt I'm not sure if that is true. Here are some pics of the new pirate area:

296881755303_0_ALB.jpg

759889065303_0_ALB.jpg

269889065303_0_ALB.jpg

868899065303_0_ALB.jpg

Micca said:
Disney just bought Pixar. I think you'll see a Toy Story meal soon. :earsboy:

Disney has always owned all Toy Story characters. That film was produced under Pixar's first deal that gave Disney ownership of its characters.

/carmi

If we are talking about 'gender-neutral' why not make those princess meals a little more 'neutral' to not be so exclusively appealing to girls. Make it a princess/heroes meal where you could not only see the princesses, but also Peter Pan, Woody, Power Rangers, etc? What would be wrong with that? As many stated here, girls like the heroes just as much as boys. I'm sure they wouldn't mind! That way there is NOTHING that could be considered gender-exclusive. Some people here are asking us mom's of boys to not want something so-called 'boy-themed', but yet...mmmm....if we messed around with those 'girl-themed' things....I guess I need to buy a flame-retardant suit...but I'm sure many of you can see the truth in what I am saying. Those who have children who love the princess meals (pretty much gender exclusive) are asking us mom's of boys (and tom-boys and girls!) to not ask for something boy-driven. I think it is wonderful to take a little girl (or boy!) to see the princesses if that is what they are into, that's not my point....but if your child enjoys them then think about how much others would love something equally geared the other way. Sorry for :stir: , flame away!

I think cstraub & Kitka hit the nail on the head. The problem with this whole debate over a character meal "for boys" is that it is now common for girls to like things that were traditionally "boy things" but it is not as common for boys to like "girl things." I'm sure there are boys who love the Princess meals, and girls who would want nothing to do with a Pirate Cruise, but in general it's the opposite. Most boys, especially older boys, would not care to eat with Princesses. Most girls, on the other hand, would probably enjoy a Pirate Cruise just as much as her brother. That's just the way it is and Disney cannot really be faulted for that. I'd be all for a new meal to bring in some diversity, but asking for a meal "just for boys" is unrealistic because (most) girls will like it as well.

Also, the whole "Disney Princesses" line has been a money-making machine for Disney in recent years. Of course they are going to run with it and create as many things as they can think of to tie in with that theme until it's popularity runs it's course. I'm sure if anything "boy themed" ever reaches the level of popularity of the Disney Princesses line, Disney will run with that as well. They have started up a few new Pirate themed things lately, maybe hoping to bank on the release/popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie(s). Disney is a corporation, and money talks, so they're going to invest in whatever it is that brings in the profits. Right now, that thing is Princesses.

Ava said:
. I'd be all for a new meal to bring in some diversity, but asking for a meal "just for boys" is unrealistic because (most) girls will like it as well.

I just want to be clear that I am not asking for a "just for boys" meal. I know that many girls are interested in toy story and other pixar movies. I just know that the merchandise that disney has for boys is often pixar movie related (buzz and woody pj's, incredibles shirts). So, when I think of a type of character meal that would appeal to boys in particular, that is what I think of. Sure, it would also draw girls, but I am thinking of boys - since I have two.

I think most of us would agree that it would be nice to have more character meals available with other disney characters that do not currently appear at any character meals (that's a mouthful, but I think you get what I am saying!)

I have yet to see anyone suggesting a "boy only" meal. To listen to some of you one would think that we were suggesting testosterone checks at the door. I just think it would be nice to have one character experience, out of many, that would appeal mainly to boys.

I guess its back to the Poly with my 3 grandsons, they do love it, but I wanted to take them somewhere different this time. Maybe next year Disney will see we need a character breakfast for the boys. It would be nice if Disney could put something together for Fathers Day and the boys could all go out for a character breakfast, leaving the Moms to have some free time.

I just think it would be nice to have one character experience, out of many, that would appeal mainly to boys.

What exactly would this be?

In todays society there is no longer such a thing as 'boys only' at least in regards to Disney.

Disney has many gender neutral meals. What are you (collective you) looking for in a boys only meal? What would make any meal appeal to a large majority of boys, not girls.

I think Disney has avoided a boys meal because there are no characters that appeal only to boys, so if Disney markets a meal to boys, you're going to get unhappy parents of girls complaining that the meal is aimed at boys, but that their girl likes that character selection.

So is it not so much that you are looking for a boys meal, but a meal that will appeal to kids over seven? Kids who like the Incredibles and Power Rangers, but no longer enjoy PlayHouse Disney?

Out of all the meals there at Disney only 2 are themed "PRINCESS"......All the others have male charaters. But I do have to agree, a Pixar or Pirate theme would be COOL!! :cool1:

I think that a Star Wars meal would be great. My DS6 would love it. In fact, my DD15 and DS19 would love it too. Someone posted that Star Wars is not directly Disney, but it would fit perfectly with the heavy Star Wars influence at MGM. It would really appeal to school aged kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter