Why is there no Jan, Jul, Nov or May UY

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by Shellandscott, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Shellandscott

Shellandscott Earning My Ears

Saw this is a thread and wondered why there is no use yr for certain months. Anyone know? :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. WebmasterDoc

WebmasterDoc Administrator Administrator

That's the way it has been since 1991 when DVC began. To my knowledge, DVD has never offered any explanation but that is the way it is and always has been.

4. RSWA2

RSWA2 Mouseketeer

I also wondered how they determined which UY to sell. Some resorts are really heavily weighted on certain months.

5. chateau

chateau DIS Veteran

I, for one, opened this thread because I pondered that question too! Lots of others going :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3also!

6. wdrl

wdrl DIS Veteran

I suspect that when the DVC started, DVD tried to maintain a fairly equal distribution of points by Use Year. However, I think it quickly learned that it really doesn't matter whether a resort's points were evenly spread amongst the eight Use Years. As these charts show, Old Key West, DVC's first resort, is the only resort that has a fairly equal distribution. The later resorts, particularly AKV and BLT, are skewed toward one UY or another.

Generally speaking, DVD offers only a handful of Use Years to new members buying their first DVC master contract. Lately, the pattern has been for DVD to offer a Use Year about four to six months in the past. In March and early April, the majority of new master contracts for AKV were for the October 2012 Use Year. To accommodate these October UY sales, DVD assigned the October UY to six AKV Units containing 114,030 points during the period March 18, to April 11, 2013. No other Units were assigned UYs during that period.

Then, in mid-April, more new AKV master contracts with the December 2012 Use Year started to appear. On April 17, 2013, DVD assigned Unit 78C to the December UY. This is the first AKV Unit assigned to the December UY since June 14, 2012.

If DVD stays true to form, the next month or two should see a lot more new AKV master contracts being sold with the December UY. Also, we might see DVD begin assigning the December UY to several AKV Units.

7. lodge

lodge DIS Veteran

Impressive info!

8. RSWA2

RSWA2 Mouseketeer

That could be the reason, since UY really only matters if you have to cancel. Since most people's vacation planing could change at any time and will probably change over the years, UY means less and less.