Why is Disney's biscuits & gravy so disgusting?

GinnyFavers

Rescued Princess of Chickapin Hill
OK folks, I just don't get what's going on with the "biscuits & gravy" cream sausage gravy at Disney World.

I've had the same awful stuff in three places over the past five years, the most recent being at Whispering Canyon Cafe, last week.

I think it's all coming from the same food service company and being reheated by the individual restaurants.

It tastes like it is made entirely from cremora, and is inedible. It's grey in color, and tastes like garbage. I don't think there's a drop of real milk in it. I bet it's full of transfats, being most likely composed of hydrogenated cottonseed oil in place of MILK.

Good cream sausage gravy is so easy to make, all you do is fry down sausage, drain it, and shake up some milk, flour, salt and cracked black pepper together, then pour it in a pan and stir so it doesn't lump up, and add the sausage in when it's thick. Heck you can even freeze the stuff and it reheats great!

Hey Disney restaurants division! -- Whatever food service place Disney restaurants are getting their gravy from, for the love of pete will you please find another source or just make it yourselves?

LOL ok end of rant. It's just so disappointing to visit Florida HOME of southern redneck goodies like biscuits and gravy, and get served that nasty mess.

If you think the biscuits and gravy at WDW are bad, you should taste what they serve on the Disney Cruise Line! After all the delish food, I saw b & g on the breakfast buffet one morning, got excited but it was total yuk.

I don't get it either, its so easy to make. I think it is pre packaged, it always tastes the same. I don't even try it anymore! Bummer, I love my biscuits and gravy!;)

It's freaking ridiculously easy to make! You think that WDW, the place that has gourmet-ish restaurants like CG and V&A could take a little time out to make sausage gravy!!!

The OP is likely correct -- it probably is pre-made and comes from one supplier.

I laughed when I saw this post. My DS is a biscuit and gravy conoseiur. His mamaw makes the best. (I can't make it.) When we went on our first trip with the kids in 2004 we had breakfast at Chef Mickey's and the biscuits and gravy were TERRIBLE! We have avoided it on our latest trips, but continue to joke about how bad it was. My DD wants to be a chef and we joke that she needs to go work at Disney and teach them how to make gravy.

Perhaps because that whole concoction is pretty darn disgusting to begin with??? :crazy2:

I agree, YUCK!

The biscuits are lard ridden, greasy, hockey pucks and the gravy is like smokey paste!

You are so right!! Biscuits and gravy is a luxury for me - so fat laden, so gooey good - and no one makes them like Grandma, and now with grandma gone - I look forward to B&G every now and again on vacation - but Disney??? ewww....

and their biscuits are the same all over too - I'm thinking those come in frozen and are baked at the various places - they taste the same everywhere!

Lol, I know what you mean Amanda! The sausage has a reddish tint to it too, have you noticed that? Being from the South, I do know my biscuits and gravy and the stuff at WDW just ain't it. Maybe they figure that, since there isn't much to it, that premade stuff will suffice...big mistake! I actually made some cream gravy last night, sans the sausage, which we had over fried pork tenderloin and biscuits...now that was heaven :goodvibes

Now that's funny b/c while Florida is, technically, the south, I never would have considered it the source for good southern cooking :laughing: I learned that the first time I went to WDW with our high school band and I ordered hash browns. That was the first time I found out that TX hash browns and other peoples "hash browns" are veeeery different. The only other time I've had hash browns like I had in Florida was in San Francisco :rolleyes1

I really don't know what is more insulting..the gravy or the biscuits. Though I can't fault anyone for biscuits...it is an art. Though what I really find amusing is how terrible the beignets are at POFQ. Two years later and I swear I think I'm still digesting it (though to be fair, maybe they're better if you get them fresh and I did only have them the one time).

Now that's funny b/c while Florida is, technically, the south, I never would have considered it the source for good southern cooking :laughing: I learned that the first time I went to WDW with our high school band and I ordered hash browns. That was the first time I found out that TX hash browns and other peoples "hash browns" are veeeery different. The only other time I've had hash browns like I had in Florida was in San Francisco :rolleyes1

You know, I was going to post the same thing. Florida is really a northern state that ran away and found some sunshine :rotfl:

It has to be a powered concoction because the country gravy we had in our college cafeteria (which I might add, was voted college with the worst food, one year) had the same paste!

This post has me laughing. I come from a long line of GREAT southern cooks. And....I grew up in Miami. It's definately NOT a true southern town, although, in all fairness, back in the day (before Calle Ocho and black beans) it was a sleepy southern state.

Back to the topic at hand....

Biscuits are easy to make and so is sausage gravy. I would never think to order it off of a menu; I can't imagine anyone making it as good as 'mama'!

WOW, I must be the manority beause I love Disney's Biscuits and gravy.:love:
I always look forward to getting it for breakfast everytime I go.
It tastes way better then any biscuits and gravy I can get from around here
including Wawa and Bob Evans.

Back to the topic at hand....

Biscuits are easy to make and so is sausage gravy. I would never think to order it off of a menu; I can't imagine anyone making it as good as 'mama'!

ITA Lisann, to me it is one of those things that you can order somewhere but you might as well accept that it will be not even close to what Mommy makes! I have had mediocre biscuits and gravy at 1900 Park Fare but the biscuits were the kind you get in the Pillsbury bag in the frozen foods and the gravy was like out of a can. I could eat it but I wasn't crazy about it.

I would rather have something that I can't get at home (and far better quality ;) ).

Ow, I can feel my arteries hardening just from reading this post.:rotfl: I guess it's a southern thing, I didn't even know they were on the menu, but if they're going to get something wrong in the kitchen I'm glad it's that.:rolleyes:

You have to remember-nothing beats home cookin' when it comes to things like Biscuits & Gravy! ;)

I think people who don't like things like biscuits and gravy just haven't had good biscuits and gravy ;)

I'd never even think to put biscuits and gravy together. Sounds good though. Where I'm from, we love gravy on our rice.
I've always wondered -- is chicken fried steak a piece of meat fried like chicken? I've heard of it but never actually seen the dish. Gotta love anything friend though :laughing: .

All of you that are dising Biscuits and Gravy - I mean good B & G - you don't know what you are missing. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter