Why I Hate the DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this thread started as someone stating that they hated the DDP because they had to plan what they are going to eat 6 months in advance and that is a valid arguement for people that hate to plan, unlike some of us insane people here at dis that plan things to the minute sometimes:lmao:. The thread however has degraded to personal attacks on people this I do not believe is the purpose of this thread or any thread in DIS. We all have feeling about things people say but let us remember that this is a public forum and they are allowed to express their opinions no matter how much they are in contrast to ours.
I think we all nee to step back a little and remember this is a forum for us to express out feeling about all things disney good and bad and this is not just about posting things that are pro disney. Sorry for the length of this but just had to comment about the negative trend that this is going.popcorn:: popcorn::

Attempted to wade through this thread but :sick:

I'm actually waiting for a discussion on the proper use of resort mugs....
anyone?!?

popcorn:: :lmao:

Attempted to wade through this thread but :sick:

I'm actually waiting for a discussion on the proper use of resort mugs....
anyone?!?

popcorn:: :lmao:

ohh now your throwing fuel on the fire with that one:rotfl2: i think the "offical" use is only the length of one stay but heck if you can use it more than once I say go for it :rolleyes1 :surfweb:

Sorry, not related to DDP again!

To Nancyg56,

Now taking courses at the CIA may make you are of cooking techniques, but it is does not make you or anyone else for that matter an expert on all types of fine dining. My father was the Executive Chef at the University Club of Hartford. He was a member of the CT Chefs Association and hosted their meetings many times. Executive Chefs from all over the state praised my father's cooking, his technique and his passion for food and fine dining. My Dad was a well respected member and one of the finest chefs in CT. He was invited to teach when the CIA opened, he was that good.

Now those are his credentials. He NEVER disparaged regional cuisine, he embraced it. He was always strengthening his base of knowledge because he knew that every culture has a core of cooking technique that enriches those who experience it. He used as much as he could to enhance the dishes that he created. I'm sorry that you look down upon regional cooking because you are afraid that it will not make your palate dance. You are missing out on a wealth of knowledge by confining yourself to what you perceive to be fine dining. That type of insular behavior does not distinguish you are a connoisseur of fine food, it diminishes your credibility.

I wonder if you would have looked down on him and the food that he served to family and friends if you were fortunate enough to meat him today. You see, he was not classically trained, his art was a gift and an intrinsic ability to take a humble piece of protein, such as catfish, and turn it into a culinary masterpiece. He used everything and it flew out of his kitchen. His clientèle were people who had their own personal chefs at home, but they knew that when Chef Joe was cooking. it was going to be a treat. He was a wizard in his kitchen because he knew the value of studying regional cuisine and then serving it.

I don't think that he would be whining that the quality of food had declined because of the DDP and the ignorant people who use it and did not know good food from a can of tuna fish, he would be enjoying the chefs ability to work within the parameter that was set. He would have no problem shaking the hand of the chef at CG , or Boma or V&A or 50's PTC. He would know what to expect prior to entering and would appreciate that venue for what it was.

Thank you. My Dad loved good food, his specialty was sauces. He would work with food all evening long and then he would come home and have an egg sandwich. He was a quiet man but bring up anything to do with cooking and he was off to the races. He got people to share how they made their meals and how they prepared certain cuts of meat and used their experience. In all honesty, we liked my Mom's cooking way better for a long time. It took a while for us to appreciate his craft, but he was the wise man. My Mom was Canadian French, and while he taught her some, he confiscated some of her techniques :rotfl:.

Only a insecure personality would refuse to appreciate the roots of fine dishes around this great nation. It is never necessary to like everything, but to refuse to consider the merit of something because of a preconceived notion is not only insulting and offensive, it is beyond ignorant. One only needs to research French and Mediterranean cooking to discover that several of their signature dishes were humble stews created to use up leftovers and seafood that did not sell at the market.

I'm sorry to say that my Dad has passed on. You would have loved him, he looked like Jackie Gleason in a Chef Jacket, herringbone pants (I was so embarrassed about those) and his toque. I remember one evening when he commandeered my Mom and me into serving at a banquet. I had never really seen him in action, but this evening he was flambeing Cherries Jubilee, and he was magnificent!

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to attend a lecture at the CIA with the Chefs Association of CT. The speaker was the host of cooking secrets of the CIA, I cannot remember his name. He was from my Dad's era and he was discussing how his style of cooking had had to change, back then butter and cream were staples in everything. He actually addressed the concerns I see expressed time and again on the DDP threads, the issues regarding food prep are a reality in every restaurant. For instance, my Dad never used prepared stocks, he made his own. That is rare today, according to this master chef. He also butchered his own beef because he aged it himself, That is also rare. Profit and loss are often very close in restaurants and chefs make decisions that keep their operations afloat. That means compromise.

I miss his perspective on many things, but I think I will always be thankful that he instilled in me a respect for cooking styles that are not my own, and for foods that I am not familiar with. He knew that the best cooks were always willing to try something new.

Nancy, Thanks so much for sharing these lovely memories of your father! I wish I would have had the opportunity to have met him!:goodvibes Like Father, like Daughter I think!!!

What interesting insight into the realm of cooking you have had! We are lucky to have been able to hear about a little piece of that! I'm sorry you had to receive further disparaging remarks, with what could have become a reasonable discussion of regional cuisine & cooking. Thanks again!

Sorry, not related to DDP again!

To Nancyg56,

Nancy, Thanks so much for sharing these lovely memories of your father! I wish I would have had the opportunity to have met him!:goodvibes Like Father, like Daughter I think!!!

What interesting insight into the realm of cooking you have had! We are lucky to have been able to hear about a little piece of that! I'm sorry you had to receive further disparaging remarks, with what could have become a reasonable discussion of regional cuisine & cooking. Thanks again!

hey just noticed from your signature that we will be at F&W the same time soo looking forward to it

I am sure you can guess I don't like them at all. I feel they have no Disney Magic...when a bunch of our school kids went on a sports weekend some of the kids stayed there and the coaches all complained that there was major smoking outside the rooms (some of the kids had asthma and it became a big problem), asking that the rooms be changed was not an option as per the front desk, people camping in front of their doors on folding chairs resulting in noise all hours of the night....things that just wouldn't happen at a duluxe resort. As far as the next round of bashing I am expecting....What if that is all someone can afford? Walt wouldn't be happy, isn't WDW for everyone? If I was in that position I would stay right outside the gates and have a resort like feeling with some comforts and quality.
I think people have been sucked in because it just has the name Disney attached to it when for that price point there are many more "magical" places without the name Disney that don't have the appearance of public housing, cramped buses & food court insanity.:furious: :furious: :furious:

I choose to stay at value so I have more money for other things. I don't have a lot of money left for vacation after dance lessons, swim lessons, and everyhting else we do. We have a good income, but we also live a good life and are not going to kill ourselves saving for a vacation. Frankly if I want to go somewhere for the accomodations it would be someplace where I plan on staying at the resort most of the time not being in a theme park (like the Hyatt Hill Country Resort near San Antonio). I have stayed at high end hotels and found that they tend to have equally bad problems with smoking in the wrong places and a general lack of class by some of their patrons.

Also we are staying onsite becasue we want the DDp and the convieniance of being onsite. MY kids also thought the value resorts looked like more fun with their giant icons and they have a lot to do with where I choose to stay. I considered many places off site, but with what the dining plan will save us (I already figured the cost benifit for us, not saying it will work that way for everyone) and with the AAA rate we are getting a really good deal in the end. SOwe were not sucked in. I considered a lot of options. I have been looking at this for well over a year now.

And if yo uthink all public housing looks like that yo uneed to come to my area. Tht place is paradise compared to public housing around here. Utilitarian is the word I would use to describe the place.

This thread has moved far from the original topic, it is time to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter