Why don't we do a little day drinking? - F&W 2015 - Update 12/11 Bonus EPCOT Night!

Dis_Yoda

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Table of Contents

Pre-Trip
Introductions
Initial Trip Plans (Subject To Change)
Run Disney Registration
Trip #2 Hotel
Trip #1 Initial Plans
Trip #1: ADRs
Trip #2: Initial Plans
Trip #2: ADRs
Eat To The Beat!
Food & Wine Festival Updates
Food & Wine Festival Special Event Offerings
Food & Wine Festival - Special Event Debate & Itinerary Changes
Food & Wine Festival - Special Events - Disney Visa Early Booking
Food & Wine Festival - Special Events - Booking Day
Trip #1 Changes
Trip #2 Updates
Food & Wine Festival Booths
Mini Trip Report - 1st 24 Hours of 48 Hours in LA
Mini Trip Report - 2nd 24 Hours of 48 Hours in LA
Trip #1 Updates
Trip Updates

F&W Training
Training #1: Naples Craft Beer Fest
Training #2: Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Patz & Hall Wine Dinner
Training #3: Mercato Brew-Ha-Ha
Training #4: Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cigar City Beer Dinner

Run Training
March Training Update
April Training Update
May Training Update
June Training Update
July Training Update
August Training Update
September Training Update
October Training Update

Trip #1: Food & Wine Festival

October 1st
Traveling Day & Settling In!

October 2nd
A Chopped Brunch
Food & Wine Booths - Before Crashing
Food & Wine Booths - Post Crash
One Vodka, Two Vodka, Three Vodka, Floor
Mexican Awesomeness

October 3rd
Animal Hide & Seek (Detox Part 1)
Detox Part 2
Hello New Favorite

October 4th

Visit From Mr. Cranky Pants
Surprise!
Meeting An Iron Chef

October 5th

Payback is Fun
Our Favorite Lunch Spot
Catching Up
A Grand Meal

October 6th
A Little? Day Drinking - Part 1
A Little? Day Drinking - Part 2
An Afternoon Break From Food & Wine
I Spy A Rat!
An Intimate Japanese Experience - Part 1
An Intimate Japanese Experience - Part 2
I Spy A Rat! - Part 2

October 7th
Hot & Chewy
Oh, I'm Detecting Nuttiness
This Seriously Was $40?
Detoxing

October 8th
Going To The Movies
Wanderlust
Goodbye Indy
A Visit To New Zealand

October 9th
Only To Accomplish One Goal!
An African Lunch
Cheese & Fondue

October 10th
A Run & Indulgent Breakfast
Finishing The Passport
A Parisian Afternoon
Let's Visit Mars

October 11th
Going Home

Trip #2: Everclear

October 30th
Just Trying To Escape
A Progressive Dinner

October 31st

Sluggish
EPCOT Rides
More Booths
Naptime
Fangirling

November 1st
Going Home

Trip #3: Wine & Dine Half

November 5th
Arrival For Final F&W Season Trip

Last edited:
Introductions

Welcome! It is time to start another trip report for next fall for Food & Wine Festival!

We live a little less than 3 hours away from WDW. Food & Wine is my favorite time of the year at Disney World. I've been going since I was a little girl & couldn't drink (but I could eat!) My husband's first time was in 2009 & it is also his favorite time of the year. See my signature for our previous F&W dining and trip reports.

avmpc3d.jpg

Dis_Yoda

I'm a quality engineer at a local aerospace company. After completing the Rebel Challenge & Glass Slipper Challenge in January & February, I'm on a nice running break for the next few months. As I was training for well over a year, it is time to focus on some other things for a while. I'm also ready to have a long vacation that isn't focused on running!

fkAv88W.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda

He's a manager at a large retail store. After running the Rebel Challenge, he's really started to enjoy running. It's the reason for Trip #2 this fall because of his love for running now.

Initial Trip Plans (Subject To Change)

Trip #1
When: October 1st to 11th, 2015
Where: Animal Kingdom Villas - Studio, Value
Why: To Drink Our Way Around The World

While I had three trips to F&W in 2014, the longest was only 5 nights. It meant we got a lot of stuff crammed in on those short vacations. This time we have 10 nights which is perfect! It will allow us to completely relax and enjoy as much as we want for F&W as we possibly can. We can do a Sunday evening event that we've had to skip before. I will be signing up for various F&W Special Events once that is announced this summer as well.

Trip #2
When: November 5th to 8th, 2015
Where: TBD (Most Likely Dolphin)
Why: For My Husband To Get His Coast to Coast & Run Wine & Dine

My husband really enjoyed his runs at Disneyland this year for the Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon (Rebel Challenge) He wants to do that run again. When he realized you get another medal for completing a half marathon or longer on each coast, he wanted it. He knew I was getting mine for the Princess Glass Slipper but it was entirely too late for him to do that race as all bibs were sold out. This left 1 half marathon at WDW for him to choose from - the Wine & Dine. I told him no way am I running that race but I'll join him at the finish line party! I would run the Jingle Jungle 5K though. I will be doing that on my own.​

I'll be drinking my way around the at the same time!!

I'm bringing my mom and two teenagers, so I'm planning to enjoy F&W as my "please get me away from these people I love before I kill them" time.

I'll be drinking my way around the at the same time!!

I'm bringing my mom and two teenagers, so I'm planning to enjoy F&W as my "please get me away from these people I love before I kill them" time.

Enjoy your trip! I totally get F&W as an enjoyment of "please get me away from these people I love before I kill them" - my last three WDW trips have been with others that I do care for as friends and had fun but I'm ready to enjoy Disney MY WAY without having to worry about others' enjoyment.

Run Disney Registration

Today was the big day! Wine & Dine 2015 Registration!

I was at my computer ready about 10 minutes until 12PM EST & logged into both My Disney Experience & DVC Member as I was unsure which link would go live first and kept refreshing. 5 Minutes prior to 12PM, I was able to get to the sign up links through the Annual Passholder links.

My first priority was getting my husband signed up for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon.

Accomplished!

I then went to sign myself up for the Jingle Jungle 5K. I filled out the info & paid. When I went to look at the confirmation however, it seemed I hadn't registered!

What?

It overrode my info & had kepted my husband info for the registration for the 5K! I should have noticed that on the payment screen but I didn't. Rather than call Active & try to get it fixed, I signed myself up this time (and ensured it stayed assigned to me)

I doubt Active will refund me for his 5K registration though so either I defer it or he decides to run it.

$342.30 Poorer today!

I still need to sign up for the Finish Line Party for myself though but I shall do that on the 17th.

Signing up! We will be back for F&W in 2016, I need to keep up on the booths in my absense.

Following on! Love Food & Wine (I'm going at the end of October). Also the Food & Wine Half is on my RunDisney bucket list (but probably won't be doing it until 2017). I did ToT 10 miler and marathon weekend.

Signing up! We will be back for F&W in 2016, I need to keep up on the booths in my absense.

Thanks for joining in! You have some nice cruises coming up & I'm definitely jealous! I think we're going to have to cancel our cruise we had planned for Feb 2016 in order to do the other vacations. I'll have to live through you :)

Following on! Love Food & Wine (I'm going at the end of October). Also the Food & Wine Half is on my RunDisney bucket list (but probably won't be doing it until 2017). I did ToT 10 miler and marathon weekend.

Thanks for joining in! Food & Wine is my favorite time of year at Disney! Tower of Terror 10 Miler was an unique race! I hope that they have it return in either 2016 or 2017! There needs to be some more races to meet the demands there are now! They seem to sell out so quick now. (AP registration sold out in less than 15 minutes which is crazy!) Congrats on doing Marathon Weekend as well!

If my husband enjoys it this year, it will become a regular race for us so my husband can get his Coast to Coast each year (he doesn't want to do back to back half marathons with the Star Wars/Marathon Weekend & he won't run Princess either)

F&W Training #1: Naples Craft Beer Festival

This trip report will have two types of training updates. Those for fun Food & Alcohol events & a monthly Exercise Update for Training Purposes.

Today was the Craft Beer Festival in Naples at the Bayfront Plaza hosted by the North Naples Rotary Club. This is the event's 4th year and each year it becomes more and more popular. It actually sold out prior to the start of the event so there was no day of sales available much to some people's disappointments. The event had many different breweries there from across the US and Florida. There were 14 local restaurants with different pairings for the beers.

I went to this event with my coworker that I had ran the Glass Slipper Challenge with as my husband had to work.

eacmcR2.jpg

Program Cover

4Eclkt6.jpg

Restaurants There

yaH6APz.jpg

Breweries There

I arrived to the Festival when it opened and did a quick walk around prior to my friend's arrival to see what was all offered for food and beer.

I decided to start drinking with a light cider option (Wild Cider Apple) and was happy to see they were doing small pours which made it easy to try many different beers while also still being able to drive home.

Once I saw a certain option, I knew it would have to be my first bite! This was my absolute favorite of the food options. I went back to seconds and thirds over the course of the festival. It was fried chicken with crispy waffle strips, onion bacon jam, Vermont Maple and sharp Vermont cheddar

sEgyKZ1.jpg

Chicken & Waffle Taco

The next food item I went for was from one of the restaurants I've attended many tequila dinners at. It was paired with Shocktop Lemon Shandy which I felt worked well together. I liked the first one I had of these. The second one I had later in the afternoon to spit out as the chicken wasn't fully cooked.

LfhPDNx.jpg

Mini Chicken Spiedie Skewer w/ Avocado Mint Pesto

Next was from a beer focused restaurant, Taps, from here in town. It was ok. It was a little too hot outside to really have a dish that needs to be served so cold. This was also served with what I thought was the worst beer that I tasted, the Ogden from Goose Island.

nfEK5jI.jpg

Ahi Tuna Tartare

My friend and I grabbed a Belgian White Private Reserve Cider from Woodchuck and then got one the sliders from a local restaurant. These sliders were great! Very filling though so we wouldn't be able to eat more than one.

NOJvg4M.jpg

Short Rib Slider

qZ6oTOI.jpg

Paella Being Made

After this, apparently I failed at taking pictures of the food. I had some pulled pork from Whole Foods that was not good and a St. Louis Style Rib from a local restaurant that was really good. My favorite though continued to be the Chicken & Waffle Taco.

GVDaWGi.jpg

Lr5EOdq.jpg

vQdWgv3.jpg

3c4dl9q.jpg

I ended up trying about 15 different beers/ciders over the course of the afternoon. The Ogden was the worst in my opinion. I actually tried a regular Budweiser for the first time today ever as their Brewmaster's Tour was here. It tasted like nothing especially after all of those different tasting beers. My friend felt the same way when I mentioned that. One of my favorites I tried was the Oculto which was really crisp and had hints of tequila as it is aged in a tequila barrel. For $50, I definitely got my money's worth! There seemed like there was a nice amount of Florida Breweries in addition to some of the big names. I liked being able to get some things I've never been exposed to before!​

Sounds like a fun day!

It was! Totally got too much sun though as the Sun wanted to be deceptive behind the crowds.

Following along before I forget to - W&D is going to be a blast!

Thanks for popping in over here! W&D is going to be a blast. I already have my 5K outfit picked out as its going to be super true to that day for me!

p2VLllC.jpg

Lol, you had me at day drinking! Following along, we are heading back for our second F&W in November. :)

Lol, you had me at day drinking! Following along, we are heading back for our second F&W in November. :)

Thanks for joining in! I do enjoy a lot of day drinks ;) That's awesome you are coming back for more F&W! I need to hop over to your PTR :)

Hotel Choices for Trip #2

When I originally priced out the Swan & Dolphin for Wine & Dine Weekend, I knew after the fees & such, it would be around $1300. This was more than I wanted to spend for a room that didn't have race transportation. I looked at pricing out the EPCOT Resorts & they were still were in a similar price range or higher. As a DVC member, I don't want to spend that much money on a hotel.

We adjusted our plan to wait list at VGF for 3 Nights. I also was planning on trying to book Polynesian Village for 3 Nights once the 7 Month Window opened.

Well today, the Run Disney packages came out for Wine & Dine Weekend. For 3 Nights at Beach Club and the Finish Line Party for me, it was only $1148! That seems reasonable enough for the room to have the luxury of being in walking distance to EPCOT for the weekend & to be at a host hotel.

zFHXEP0.png

I still am debating if I want to keep this package or cancel and just try for the Polynesian but I have a few weeks to decide on that. At least this package is fully refundable until 45 days out if a wait list was to come through.

Trip #1 Initial Plans

October Theme Park Hours were announced today. These plans are subject to change based on F&W Special Events once they are announced though.

October Hours here: https://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/ParkHours/WDWTravelAgent_October.pdf

Wednesday, September 30th, 2015
4:00PM: Leave Work
5:00PM: Drop Dogs Off At Kennel
6:00PM: Finish Packing

Thursday, October 1st, 2015
4:00PM: Leave Work
7:30PM: Arrive at Animal Kingdom Lodge
8:30PM: Dinner @ Jiko

Friday, October 2nd, 2015
9:00AM: EPCOT Opens
11:00AM: F&W Booths Open
2:00PM: Head back to AKL
6:00PM: Dinner @ Citricos

Saturday, October 3rd, 2015
9:00AM: Animal Kingdom Opens
11:00AM: Lunch @ Yak & Yeti
1:00PM: Back to Hotel
...Relax!
6:00PM: Dinner @ Yachtsman

Sunday, October 4th, 2015
9:00AM: Hollywood Studios Opens
11:00AM: Walk to EPCOT
12:00PM: French Regional Lunch (Subject to change)
3:30PM: Back to Hotel
7:00PM: Dinner @ Morimoto Asia

Monday, October 5th, 2015
9:00AM: Magic Kingdom Opens
12:00PM: Lunch @ Counter Service in Magic Kingdom
7:00PM: Dinner @ Narcoossee’s

Tuesday, October 6th, 2015
9:00AM: Hollywood Studios Opens
12:00PM: Walk to EPCOT
1:30PM: Italian Food & Beer Pairing (Subject to Change)
7:00PM: Dinner @ Boathouse

Wednesday, October 7th, 2015
8:00AM: “Me” Time Package @ Grand Floridian Spa for Dis_Yoda
Alone Time for Mr. Dis_Yoda (aka intensive gym time)
12:00PM: Head to Downtown Disney
...Fork & Dine for Lunch
...Splitsville for Bowling & Dinner
...Laundry Night

Thursday, October 8th, 2015
9:00AM: EPCOT Opens
...Enjoy Future World
12:00PM: Mexican Tequila Lunch (Subject to Change)
2:00PM: Back to Resort
6:00PM: F&W Signature Dinner @ TBD

Friday, October 9th, 2015
9:00AM: Magic Kingdom Opens
1:00PM: Leave Magic Kingdom
6:00PM: Dinner @ Tutto Italia

Saturday, October 10th, 2015
Open Plan Day

Sunday, October 11th, 2015
7:30AM: Wake Up & Leave Hotel
10:30AM: Pick Up Puppies
11:30AM: Home​

Tequila lunch sounds good. We did the After hours thing at Mexico in Epcot where we had three tequila tastings and some appetizers. It was great!

Tequila lunch sounds good. We did the After hours thing at Mexico in Epcot where we had three tequila tastings and some appetizers. It was great!

We've (well, mainly me) been debating the Tequila Lunch for a while but we have skipped it the past few years. I did the After Hours at Italy and found it nice but the evening I did it, I felt so rush as my dinner reservation was running really late so I almost missed it. I'm glad the Tequila one was so great! I wish I would have done that one.

March Training Update

As I’m taking a break from running for a while after the completion of the Glass Slipper Challenge, my training log is going to be a bit different until I start running again come May. On March 2nd, I bumped up my base gym membership to include classes. This should switch things up for me & hopefully I should start losing weight again as I’ve been stagnant at my current weight for 2 months. Hopefully, by changing things up, my ankle will fully heal from the running injuries as its not being as abused. I've been enjoying the lack of running this past month.

Strength Training is in Red. Cardio is in Blue. It seems that the same class can be either more strength or cardio by which instructor is teaching it.

PAfjPKC.png

From the classes I’ve been taking, I’ve been enjoying the Wednesday and Friday Evening Yoga the most. The teacher those nights has the class as half workout half mental therapy, which I find helpful.

Sunset Yoga:
lGHpD92.jpg

IozdOLj.jpg

Waist Inch Loss: 1”
Hip Inch Loss: 1”
Thigh Inch Loss: 0”
Arm Inch Loss: .5”
Weight Loss: 2 pounds

~~~
My husband ran in the Gulf Coast Runner’s Run For The Music 10K on March 28th. He finished at 52:20 for a pace of 8:25 & placed 5th in his age group (Overall 168)

x83spde.jpg

Ready for the Race

BeV2Lq8.jpg

Crowd Leaving For Start Line

U4bm34L.jpg

Him Finishing

According to the McMillan Running Calculator this puts him at a sub 2 hour Half Marathon finish. (1:56)

Based on last year, this will have him in C Corral. His goal is to be in A or B though. The only 10K nearby is on Memorial Day in Punta Gorda unless he wants to go to the East Coast for races prior to the August deadline for Proof of Time.​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter