Why don't we do a little day drinking? - F&W 2015 - Update 12/11 Bonus EPCOT Night!

I need good thoughts today! It seems I'm coming down with a cold. This needs to be gone by Thursday!

Healing vibes!!! :goodvibes

Thanks!

I hope you're feeling better!

I'm better than I was Monday but still not 100% - I'm throwing everything at it between over doing it on fluids of juice/water + oregano oil + sinus meds. Here's to hoping tomorrow I'm more on the mend. I'm glad my husband is the one driving up tomorrow so I can get some sleep as those sinus meds definitely make me loopy. Just have to get through 9 hours of work!

September Running Update

Blue is Cardio. Red is Strength.

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 8.42.04 PM.png

This was the month I had to start getting serious about running again. According to the official training plan, the Rebel Challenge training began on September 15th. On Tuesdays, I have a yoga class at 4:30PM that is really my favorite class of the week as it is the one that forces me to challenge myself the most. The official training has you complete 30 to 45 minute runs every Tuesday & Thursday and increasing mileage on the weekends & double runs starting in November to get used to back to back runs. I moved my Tuesday runs to Monday for September and most likely most of October.

As I started getting sick on Monday the 28th, I began fluid loading. I didn't take my measurements at the end of this month as my weight was fluctuating up to like 10 pounds or more a day Monday, Tuesday, and today.

We leave on the trip tomorrow! I can't wait!

September Miles Ran: 20.67 miles
Total 2015 Miles Ran: 205.03 miles​

Thanks!

I'm better than I was Monday but still not 100% - I'm throwing everything at it between over doing it on fluids of juice/water + oregano oil + sinus meds. Here's to hoping tomorrow I'm more on the mend. I'm glad my husband is the one driving up tomorrow so I can get some sleep as those sinus meds definitely make me loopy. Just have to get through 9 hours of work!

Feel better. Keeping a good thought for you.

Traveling Day & Settling In!

I'm pretty sure I was the happiest, most annoying person at work this day. I had a lot of things I had to accomplish but I was in such a good mood it didn't matter. I knocked out everything I had to get done before I left and was out the door at 3:00PM, just liked I had hoped! As I was walking to my car, I got the text message that the room was ready. I was super happy to see we had actually lucked out with one of the dedicated value studios in a great location for the two of us as we are close to the elevator that goes down to the gym/pool/etc and only have a neighbor on one side! My husband was awesome and got the dogs to the kennel, the car all packed up, and we were ready to leave by 3:20PM! He was driving so I was able to just relax and be super excited on our drive up!

We actually had a great drive up to Disney from Naples. There were no major traffic issues, barely any rain, and we were in a great mood overall.

o7fFwbP.jpg

One Day I Will Visit Dinosaur World

R2zVzVF.jpg

Super Short Rain Storm

gjQbr9h.jpg

Disney Springs Official!

HqwmtyQ.jpg

We Made It!!!

At 6:15PM, we made it to Animal Kingdom - Jambo House & pulled up into the front. We got a luggage cart to fill up as we had a lot of stuff. My suitcase, his suitcase, the shoe bag, the computer bag, drinks and snacks for the room, that would just have been a pain to try to lug it all up ourselves. Shaun got the car parked and I went upstairs to take a look at the room.

CabjhNy.jpg

QLSw17M.jpg

He arrived at the room and shortly our stuff arrived from the Bellman and we began the tradition of settling into the room. We noticed that the value studios really don't have a ton of storage space for clothes but we were able to get more hangers from housekeeping so we made it worked. I find the ritual of the unpack so relaxing and an official start to vacation!

We still had 2 hours until our ADR time at Jiko and I was full of energy. We decided to go to the gym as I had skipped my run yesterday and we had time to kill. I rocked my run! 2.31 miles at a 12:59 pace which is great for me. We headed back to the room to get cleaned up and ready for dinner.

We arrived shortly before our ADR of 9PM and were quickly seated in the back of the restaurant. Not the best view of the place but we were both starving and didn't really care much. Shaun wasn't really excited for this meal as he questioned why I picked it It was travel day & you never know how traffic will be and I wanted easy

Our server quickly took our drink ordered and we were greeted by the bread when he came back with our waters. The bread had changed from what we had received during our last visit. I was actually ok with this as it was a nice multigrain bread that worked well with the butter.

92FWK8O.jpg

Multigrain Bread w/ Vermont Butter & Desert Salt

Our drinks were served. My husband just went with a Diet Coke but I had a glass of sparkling wine called The Ring. It was fruity but crisp.

xfCFPUY.jpg

The Ring

We decided to split an appetizer that I mostly ended up eating. I love duck. I love meat filled rolls like this. This was a home run for me! The flavors were on point for the African taste profile I was wanting.

80WFxVn.jpg

Crispy Duck "Bobotie" Roll w/ Cucumber Raita & Green Mango Atjar

For the main course, my husband had ordered exactly what I wanted so I did something different. I selected the Harrisa Chicken since I know I'll have a lot of red meat at other places this week. The chicken had a nice kick to it for the spices but that was quickly cooled when you had a bite of the cinnamon couscous. My only complaint was the the skin was soft (which I know was a result of the cooking method) so I just skipped eating that part of the chicken.

aKBxqlr.jpg

Harrisa Chicken - Joyce Farms Roast Chicken, Vegetable Medley, Cinnamon Couscous, & Saffron Broth

My husband really enjoyed his selection. The halibut was super flakey and when mixed with the tomato-butter was delightful! My husband actually pretty much ate all the sauce on the plate which is unusual for him.

fASCweC.jpg

Maize-Crusted Halibut - Vegetables of the Moment & Tomato-Butter Sauce

We skipped dessert as we knew our next day was going to be filled with a ton of food between the special events & booths @ EPCOT. When they brought us our bill, the presented us with some coconut macaroons which were a nice touch to end the meal.

1iHMp2k.jpg

Coconut Macaroons

We headed back up to the room where my husband watched the football game & kept making comments about how much he hates Michael Vick. I relaxed and went to bed shortly, ready for whatever the next day was going to bring us!​

We actually had a great drive up to Disney from Naples. There were no major traffic issues, barely any rain, and we were in a great mood overall.

Yay! What a great way to start off. :)

My husband was awesome and got the dogs to the kennel, the car all packed up, and we were ready to leave by 3:20PM! He was driving so I was able to just relax and be super excited on our drive up!

Good Husband Points awarded.

I went upstairs to take a look at the room.

Your room looks beautiful. I love it!

Shaun wasn't really excited for this meal

Wha? Not excited for Jiko? o_O

We decided to split an appetizer that I mostly ended up eating. I love duck. I love meat filled rolls like this. This was a home run for me!

I would so love that! It sounds and looks amazing!

HAVE A GREAT TIME TODAY!!!

Sounds like a great first day! The food sounds really good, and from the pictures your are posting today, it looks like you're having another great day so far!

Sounds like a great first day! Can't wait to hear about F&W. :)

It was a great first day! I don't want to jinx myself, but this trip has been awesome so far! Hopefully it stays that way :)

Yay! What a great way to start off. :)

Good Husband Points awarded.
I agree! We both were so ready for this vacation that we wanted to get going! He has 3 days off after we get home so he can have his true relaxation then (or play a ton of video games which I guess is his relaxation choice)

Your room looks beautiful. I love it!

Wha? Not excited for Jiko? o_O

I would so love that! It sounds and looks amazing!
I love the rooms at AKV! I'm glad we own here so that we get the chance to really be able to use the value studios or the concierge ones depending on the mood of the trip.

My husband doesn't really love the dining options at AKL. We picked eating at Jiko this trip as you never know how the traffic or weather is going to be so why bother with trying to go somewhere else as you are just getting settled. Back in Feb 2014, we did Boma on our arrival night while we were staying in the concierge AKV studio and that was so not a great way to start the trip. Buffets are fine for some families but for us, it just didn't relax one bit. I'm glad that Jiko pleasantly surprised him though as he loved his Halibut! Our server was also great and it was the best way to start off vacation on a good enjoyable pace!

HAVE A GREAT TIME TODAY!!!

Thanks! We did!

Sounds like a great first day! The food sounds really good, and from the pictures your are posting today, it looks like you're having another great day so far!

It was! We've been having so much fun this trip so far! I just hope this luck keeps up since we are here for such a long time.

A Chopped Brunch

During the normal work week, I'm up every morning by 5:00AM. This tends to make me naturally wake up early no matter what or how tired I am on the days I'm not working. I woke up bright and early at 6:00AM but my husband just wanted to sleep. I snuck out to the balcony to play on my laptop to do some work emails and post here on the dis. It was such a great way to start the morning! Eventually he got up & I had a breakfast of champions - Mountain Dew Throwback & a Corn Muffin. That was more so that I had something on my stomach before taking the daily vitamins.

dSrIVb6.jpg

I'm super fancy - Thanks Publix!

We got ready & headed to EPCOT a bit early so that we could activate my husband's new pass at the ticket window and wait for the park to open. We were going to be joined today (and for the two days following) by my best friend & her fiancé. They had done MNSSHP the night before so they weren't as ready to get there as early. We agreed we would meet outside of Soarin for our fast pass around 9:20AM.

s2Vp8hY.jpg

As we had some time & the park wasn't too crowded as it was near opening, we rushed straight to Test Track so we could enjoy it today. Our goal this time was to make the Most Capable Car of the day. We got a Capable Score of 92 so I think we meet our goal well. It had an ECO score of Negative 3! It probably also should win for the ugliest car of the day.

J8IMH6o.jpg

NwKClkq.jpg

4srxvJF.jpg

After our ride around the Sim Track, we rushed over to the Land to meet with my friend and get on Soarin with our FP+ selection. I also enjoy that ride but our timing was a bit off as we didn't exit the ride until right before 10AM when we had our reservation for "What's Cooking with Amanda Frietag" about to start. We said goodbye to our friends until our event was over as they were going to enjoy some more attractions (they didn't want to spend the money on the event)

We checked in at about 10:05AM and were the last people to be seated. The event had just started but we were able to still get great seats with a direct view of the stage (without having to turn our heads at all) in the front row. The event wasn't sold out so there were a good amount of seats still open. Pam had just started her spiel about Wine Before Nine, Your Day Will Be Just Fine. We looked over the place settings and started enjoying our Prosecco.

UUKVjQ5.jpg

KDMINHg.jpg

XHeMpUi.jpg

V96Lrke.jpg

Fresh Variety of Douce France Breakfast Breads & Pastries

1aClTzd.jpg

Seasonal Fresh Fruit & Berries in Martini Chiller

Turns out being late was also fine as there was pretty much nothing going on on stage after Pam Smith's initial welcome until 10:45AM. We were served our food and multiple glasses of Prosecco as they had poured way more glasses than there were people.

fSE2d0s.jpg

Artisan Cheese & Duck Egg Tarin w/ Roasted Onion Jam & Balsamic Reduction w/ Bourbon Maple Glazed Pork Belly w/ Wilted Greens, Roasted Marble Potatoes w/ Baby Fennel

Normally I hate egg dishes but the Tarin was so very good! I finished it all along with the pork belly and potatoes. This dish was much better than the chicken served during last year's Sweet Sundays. I'm happy I get to have it a 2nd time come November.

GwBA2ke.jpg

Festival Chardonnay

At 10:45AM, Amanda Frietag came out along with Pam Smith. She was so cute! Her personality was bubbling and she looked truly happy to be at the festival for the first time this year. She talked about her struggles of being a Chopped Judge with allergies (they remove that ingredient from the pantry + won't put it in the baskets while she is there) along with her family stories. She stated she is the crier on the show & when they did the recent grandma episode, she hated sending any of them away as they were so sweet and nice. She began her demonstration of making her latkas along with discussions of her book.

obJ5qil.jpg

zljcd6o.jpg

L2pfu2J.jpg

iCgqMXN.jpg

HZuNx6H.jpg

H5apFTN.jpg

Zucchini Latkas w/ Ratatouille, Avocado & Fresh Herb Salad

22CAySO.jpg

Parting Gifts!

This event was super fun!​

I so miss going to F&W events. I'm going to put that one on my list for next year! I'm probably going to want to do almost every event that you do! LOL!

That event looked like so much fun!! Also, I think those rolls at Jiko looked delicious...and so did those duck rolls!! Glad you are having a great trip!

I so miss going to F&W events. I'm going to put that one on my list for next year! I'm probably going to want to do almost every event that you do! LOL!

At least you get to go next year! You have all those cruises lined up as well which I'm jealous of! Next year we probably won't have as many events since I'm sure Hawaii will steal most of our vacation money for 2016.

I'm hoping the events we have upcoming are awesome as well. Here's to hoping the good luck keeps up!

That event looked like so much fun!! Also, I think those rolls at Jiko looked delicious...and so did those duck rolls!! Glad you are having a great trip!

It was a lot of fun. I know the new format got some complaints on the main Food & Wine thread but I've been doing these events for so many years that I know what to expect from the descriptions now & when not to get my hopes up too much for more than what is offered. The food at Jiko was so delicious! I was very happy :)

Food & Wine Festival Booths - Before Crashing

My husband & I were feeling really good post our What's Cooking Brunch as we each had 4 full glasses of wine. I texted my friend to figure out where her & her fiancé were (they just got on Spaceship Earth) we agreed to meet at Club Cool as it would be an easy location to meet up at. With some time to kill, my husband and I decided to learn about making coffee thanks to Joffrey's

hboPayBacksAWenchTwitter.jpg

Stolen from the internet

Opps, Wrong Joffrey

Sq7cYfZ.jpg

FZVYmSE.jpg

sebcVPb.jpg

KDXszzJ.jpg

yuPwjb1.jpg

It wasn't long until we met with our friends & were to begin eating at lots and lots of booths & drinking more.

We first headed to The Chew's area to visit their two booths, Sustainable Chew and Chew Lab

My selection at Sustainable Chew:

VGn2csk.jpg

Pork Spareribs w/ Red Wine, Fennel & Cheesy Mascarpone Grits sustainably presented on VerTerra Dinnerware (Gluten Free)

My husband was supposed to share this with me but he decided against it as he ran to the Chew Lab instead & I finished it before he returned. The pork was super tender and had some great flavor from it from the red wine and fennel. The grits were only ok but I'm super picky on grits.

Q2Vwq5i.jpg

Liquid Nitro Chocolate-Almond Truffle w/ Warm Whiskey-Caramel (Gluten Free)

This may be my favorite dish from the festival so far from our first day of trying the booths. If you like chocolate and almond and caramel, you will be super happy with this! The presentation is also super fun getting to watch them make it.​

uuZjLRt.jpg

New York Strip w/ Parsnip Silk, Balsamic Glaze & Arugula Foam (Gluten Free)

My husband & I didn't try this but our friends got it. They quickly ate it so I'll take that as a win.

Our next stop was Cheese Studio

lXGXxcF.jpg

Cheese Fondue w/ Sourdough Bread & Still River Winery Apfel Eis (Apple Ice Wine)

The cheese fondue tastes exactly like how it did at the Cheese Booth a few years ago. This made me very happy. What didn't make me happy was that I was going to just enjoy the rest of my cheese with a spoon after I ran out of bread and my husband threw it away on me as he stated we had more booths to go after. The ice wine was his choice and he took it like a shot.

We stopped at Dominican Republic for the guys as they wanted to try some stuff here.

lqynzzx.jpg

Souffle de Yuca: Yuca Souffle topped with Griddled Cheese (Vegetarian) & Presidente Pilsner Beer

He really liked this! The cheese didn't have an overpowering flavor but the sweetness of the yuca paired with it well. The beer wasn't anything special.

The next stop was Canada

Y4o7l0g.jpg

Moosehead Lager

We stopped at Canada to get something as our friends wanted to try the sausage. My husband enjoyed his beer.

We then stopped at Ireland

OEbn8jP.jpg

Warm Chocolate Pudding w/ Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur Custard (Gluten Free & Vegetarian) & Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale

I love that warm chocolate pudding. I may have licked the plate as well to finish off the liqueur custard. My husband enjoyed his beer. My friend had the Irish Cheese Selection Plate & loved it as well.

My friend & I went to France while the men went to get ice cream.

qKLidAg.jpg

La Passion Martini Slush - Grey Goose Le Citron Vodka, Cranberry & Passion Fruit Juice

We headed to Brazil to get one of my favorites from the year before.

sZJ3i35.jpg

Pao de Queijo: Brazilian Cheese Bread & Frozen Caipirinha featuring LeBlon Cachaca

My cheese bread was so awesome and I loved the Caipirinha. I also was happy to find out that my friend's fiancé said that the cheese bread tastes exactly what he gets sent from his family in Ecuador.

While I was enjoying my goodies from Brazil, my husband headed to Belgium and didn't head back to our table as he couldn't find us ?!?

No Photo (Opps)
Belgian Waffle w/ Warm Chocolate Canache & Whipped Cream
Belgian Beer Sampler

At this point, it was slightly after 3:00PM. All 4 of us were tired, overheated, and dehydrated. We all chugged a bottle of water and decided to head to the next show of American Adventure.

We sat along the back wall for a bit to 1) charge our phones and 2) cool down or 3)...

IbJjnxp.jpg

Food & Wine Festival Booths - Post Crash

When I left all you readers yesterday, my husband was passed out at American Adventure. This nap was helpful for him. My friend also took a short nap as well.

jSsdwOC.jpg

WXFjgn3.jpg

We received our history lesson from Mark Twain & Ben Franklin while hanging out in the air conditioning. I didn't nap but was still really recharged as we left to begin to tackle some more booths!

Our first selection was Italy where my husband and I split the Ravioli. We picked this dish as we were going to attend the mixology seminar at 6:00PM and were going to pick items that we knew would soak up alcohol well. This was a good choice! The ravioli wasn't overcooked and the sauce had a decent flavor to it.

h5Jg1ir.jpg

Ravioli alla Caprese: Cheese Ravioli, Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Parmesan & Basil

Our next stop was solely for my husband, Germany. He picked the strudel as he loves this type of dessert, yet rarely orders while we are out. He finished it off quickly!

H8vkjeS.jpg

Apple Strudel w/ Vanilla Sauce

Our last selection before heading back to the Festival Center was Africa. This item got mixed reviews among our group. I really liked the spice level of it along with the chew of the naan. My friend really didn't like the dish at all. My husband liked the chicken but not the vegetables in it.

uZFLla0.jpg

Buttered Chicken w/ Micro Cilantro & Naan Bread

We headed to the festival center for our next special event of the trip, Mixology!

TiddPP3.jpg

Rabbit!

o2YMI6C.jpg

About To Drink More Selfie!

1 Vodka, 2 Vodka, 3 Vodka, Floor

We waited until right before 6:00PM to be let in for our Mixology Seminar for Zu Vodka. I ended up finding one of the people I know here from the old Friendies Thread I used to be active on & said hello to him & his wife (no photo evidence acquired though)

When we were let in, we took a row with only 4 seats in the back of the seminar so we wouldn't have to share a row with other people.

ktgEMyJ.jpg

phVaGyv.jpg

We started off with a shot of the Zu Vodka. This is the vodka of Polish Royalty according to the Mixology Host as the vodka after being made is flavored with using a special type of grass that the bison graze on in Poland.

K8yRU53.jpg

This initial vodka taste had a vanilla hint to it and was really flavorful leaning towards the sweet side.

The first cocktail David Ortiz (Mr. Mixologist - not the baseball player) was a daiquiri. He explained it wasn't always made with rum but rather a general technique used in drink making.

S9p74tV.jpg

Vanilla Daiquiri

It was so good! It was sweet and went down smoothly. All 4 of us greatly enjoyed it!

The next drink wasn't as much of a hit. It was a bitter 1:1:1 ratio drink. My friend's fiancé and I had to take one for the team and drink our significant other's as they wouldn't touch it after the initial sip. I wasn't feeling much pain at this point so it was no big deal for me.

V75ZELM.jpg

Zugroni

We were a bit silly now though (although polite)

QSbVuOi.jpg

Friend's Fiancé's Comment Card

During this event (and during a lot of the day) my husband and I were talking with some friends from Naples through GroupMe. My husband was being silly on it and counting every drink he took during the day. He was up to 15 at this point. My response:

oYmbbXC.jpg

Post taking the free shot (it was 6:35PM at this point - so we only had about 15 minutes left of them trying to sell us the Zu Vodka) I made a Mickey Mouse

gvwtJs1.jpg

At 6:40PM, two ladies walked in to the Mixology Seminar (?!?!?!) and looked confused that their basket of crackers and vodka were gone (opps!)

I giggled to myself as we totally had taken that but I then felt better as Disney also stole their pencils:

vNlGemk.jpg

They gave me the idea ;)

Where we done drinking for the day? Tune it later to find out!​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter