Why Don`t They Understand

fires_grumpy

Mouseketeer
:confused3 Why don`t they just understand us Die heart Disney Fans? This morning in my morning meeting at work. I told my boss I needed to get with her and give her my days I needed off for vaction. She smiled and said where are you going? 2 of my co workers said before I could WDW :laughing: She said you just got back from there. I said that was Oct. and I needed a fix :eek: I tryed to explain to her about Disney and she said I seen it when I was a kid. I told her there is so much more there now.She told me I need to see the world and I told her I DOOOOOOOOOO in 1 day when I go around the world in the world show case:laughing: My co-workers that spoke up this morning always tell me to say hi to Goofy and Donald.So If any one can help me understand this PLEASE HELP:lmao:

Well I have done a little bit of traveling myself (even abroad), and nothing has made me as happy as those moments when I get on the Monorail and it zips around the corner and reveals Cinderella Castle. Or when I hear the Festival of the Lion King ... or when my stomach raises into my throat on TOT... or.... well, I get it too. We just have to try to NOT feel sorry for those co-workers who don't get it. Poor, misguided people :upsidedow

I get that a lot too so most times at work I lie and say I'm going somewhere else! Then when they ask to see my vacation pictures, I always say, "well something weird keeps happening with my disk, I gotta have my camera checked out." :rotfl: You'd think after all these years they'd get the hint lol!

But seriously, yes I have faced a lot of negativity from people about always going to Disney. Then I put it back on them too, say their family always goes to the Hamptons every summer - I tell them what is the difference you always go to the same place too... but they still don't understand... its a battle... but when you find some comrades in the Disney army, you hang tight and keep going back!!

I know just what you mean, my DH and I are going to WDW this Aug. for our 10 yr. anniversary and my co-workers just can not believe it. I am almost embaressed to tell some of them!!

Although last year when we went as a family a few people asked if we were bringing the kids and I just couldn't believe it....duh, of course we are bringing the kids, why would we go to disney as a couple.

Well we had more fun than the kids and it was a no brainer when we were deciding on a destination!!

So who know, they may come around yet!!!!

My co-workers dont get it either....it gets to the point that every time I mention WDW they want me to put a buck in the jar lol

Since I'm a stay at home mom, I don't get it from co-workers. I get that response from family. I was telling my mom about something funny that I had read on these boards somewhere. She interupted me and said, "Disney is that all you think about." I said well it was better that I was "obsessed" with Disney than a drug addict.:lmao:
We only go every other year. When I told my mother in law about our December 2008 trip she was confused b/c she said that we only go every two years. I reminded her that the last time that we went was in 2006, so it had been two years.
After getting this question from my family for years, I finally came up with the following response when they questioned my going back to Disney. "It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?". That being said, I still haven't gotten the back bone to tell my mother about the Disney trip I already put a downpayment on and bought air fare for. As soon as life settles down a bit I will tell her. I'm just not in the mood for the lecture I know will follow.:scared: However she was at my house today, and asked to get on my DH's computer to check something. When I got back on it after she left, she had opened up a new internet explorer. The one that was opened when she got on was the reservation page for our vacation on the Disney web site. If she saw it she just never said anything about it. Maybe she saw it and is just finally over giving me lectures about it.:confused3 Come to think of it, I bet she did b/c she made a really strange comment at the store. They had flowers on 3 for $10, where you can put small bunches of them together to make your own bouquet. I bought 6 of them. When my mother saw that I had gotten them she said,"Did you win the lottery and I just not know about it." At the time I thought it was really strange that she said that, but now I am thinking it was less about the flowers and more about the Disney trip reservation she saw. ok, I think I'm done rationalizing not telling my mom about the Disney trip. I promise, I'm not crazy:crazy2: :scratchin Well at least not in a certifiably put me in a straight jacket and through me in a paddy room way.
Personally, I think it would make my life much easier if it was a requirement that at every job the person that makes the decision on who gets to take vacation when was a Disney fan. Our original trip had us at WDW the week of Christmas. My DH's new boss said that he couldn't have the week off, so we had to change the trip. He tried to explain that it was for our boys, so they could be at WDW on Christmas day before they stopped believing in the "magic" of Christmas. His boss still wouldn't budge. He works in the IT department of his company. This last Christmas it was so slow the week of Christmas that they spent their days watching movies.

I like the reply of a PP to the question, "Why Disney again?"
"It's a Disney thing, if you don't get it, too bad for you... If you did get it, the only question you'd be asking is 'can I come too?'"

I don't pass judgment on the families I know that take their kids to a resort in Mexico every year or to Wisconsin Dells every summer or to Las Vegas. We have friends that have been going camping the first week in August every year at the same place for years... How is going to Disney every year any different? That's their choice. I'm happy for them that they can afford this. I wish I could do ALL of that AND Disney every year!!! I love traveling and vacationing!!!

In my work and social circles it's really not such an issue. One of my co-workers has DVC and has been to WDW 2x and on a Disney Cruise in the past two years. Another co-worker went to Disney last Spring Break. I went to Disney Land last March for my 10 yr. anniversary... with my family. Most people I know have been to WDW (or DL) this year or within the past two years. One family across the street just got back - another is going down for spring break. One of my dd's classmates goes every September without fail. DD8's BFF is going in October... so around here, it's almost the other kind of peer pressure to not be the one that's NOT been to Disney... I'd say maybe it's just here but this goes for my friends in Massachusetts too.... many of whom have been to WDW in the past two years at least... So the bigger stress for us is "When are we getting back to Disney?"

I was thinking about this on the way home from work after a conversation in the lunch room today. There are three of us at work who are Disney lovers, as we think you should go to Disney often, not just once in a life time. Anyway, one of my coworkers said she just doesn't have the desire to go to Disney, that it's not even a good amusement park, and she'd rather go to Europe or New York or Washington DC. Well here's the thing, she doesn't go to those places either. So obviously it's not just about thinking it's lame for other people to go to Disney often, it's that other people don't plan as many vacations.

Did that make sense?
I'll have to come back later and edit if it didn't. I've got to go pick my dd up from soccer practice.

Just say Thank God you don't like Disney...it's getting too crowded now!:rotfl:

These comments often also come from the same people who when they take a week off work, all they do is sit at home (every time they take vacation).

No one around me understands why I've been to Disney over fifty times, went in December, January and I'm going again on Monday, but the thing is that I really don't care if they get it as long as I have one person to go with me. In January, I was going for my 40th birthday so I told them I was going and if they wanted to go to let me know so I could add them to the reservation. :scared1:

I've explained to them that as long as I'm having fun, it's all good to me!!!!:thumbsup2

My friends just don't understand either. They always ask why I'm going to a little kiddie park. :headache:

I just tell myself that it's sad they'll never 'get' the magic of Disney.

you are all too funny, i thought I was the only one who avoided telling people where I was going on vacation again. We are going in September and I haven't told a sole at work because they will be like, Didn't you just go there last year? People don't understand, I could go every month...

I get the same thing from my co-workers and we only go every May. I understand the feeling, but I am so excited that I am not worried about what others think.

Also my father is/was the same way until we convinced him to join us
for our upcoming trip, now he watched the planning DVD and asks "Did you do this?" "How was this?" etc. He still questions my love and desire for Disney but I think he will understand in May.

My coworker and I were riding up in the elevator today and he mentioned my Disney cup and asked if we were planning on going again this year. I told him that yes, we were going twice - but one trip is Disneyland and the other is Disneyworld, so it's two completely different things. ;) I don't think he bought it.

One of my co-workers said "You're the most Disney person I know". I know she didn't mean it as a compliment, but I certainly took it as one! You're either Disney or you're not and the un-Disney people will just never understand. That's OK. We don't need them to!

I try to go every 2 years also. My husband does not even get it. I just shrug my shoulders and say It makes me soooooooo happy. My friends (who sit on a beach every vacation) say how can you go to the same place all the time.

We are all obssessed - but I our obession makes us happy all that is all that matters

I SOOO wish there were LESS people who liked Disney ;-) Sept. crowds year round would be groovy! :hippie:

Honestly, the only one who I have to worry about is my husband! I have it BAD and he only has it moderately. Let's say, if I could, I'd go 4 times a year, and he'd go once every four years. Our last trip was Dec 06 and I'm planning another one sometime this year. That's our compromise!

For a while I begged and pleaded with my mom to come along. Finally I gave up! She doesn't want to, she doesn't want to! That's cool :hippie:

I don't get why my co-workers like to ski. :confused3 Not my thing.

But yeah, I'm all for LESS people liking disney!

I have one coworker who goes to Disney every year with his wife, they stay at POFQ and have romantic getaways there. He is the one who stands up for me when all the other co-workers tell me I'm crazy for going there over and over. Well, I am getting it from my father too! "Not Disney again, why do you keep going there?" BECAUSE IT MAKES ME HAPPY!!!!!! I invited him along but he said no. And I said "then stop hassling me about it" and he did.:confused3

:cool1: less than 6 months!

Ignore it. My in-laws travel quite a bit but they always go to Colorado in the summer, south Florida in January, a cruise in February, Gatlinburg in April, Niagara Falls/Little League World Series in August (whenever the series is played). They very rarely will change locations. About the only time they do is when their annual medical meeting is held. And that's because it's rotated through the major Southern cities.

My mother-in-law doesn't quite "get" the attraction we have to Disney World but she understands. She says our Disney World is her Niagara Falls (she loves the place). So she buys our Disney World annual passes for us every year. I'll put up with an occassional "I guess you are going to Disney World *again*" for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter