Why doesn't the rule apply to you?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by yazee1, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yazee1

yazee1 <font color=teal>It sounds like we broke the ship!

I am genuinely curious about something. In another thread, a cruiser shared that her husband uses the flash on his camera even when he knows it is against the rules. I don't know anything about photography and I haven't been bothered enough by people's flash to have an opinion about it, so I asked my dh, who knows quite a bit about how to use a camera about this. He was passionate in his responsewhen he said he HATES when people do that. What's the fuss about flash photos? AND, for the people who use a flash anyway, why do you do it? Why shouldn't the rule apply to you?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

On the cruise they ask that you not take flash photos during the shows. I never can understand why people think it's okay to disregard this. There are two principle reasons for this rule, 1. it can distract the performers which can be dangerous for them and 2. it's very, very distracting to the folks around the "flasher". The flash literally blinds you momentarily so you're missing some of the performance.

I have also found it incredibly annoying in rides at DW, like Pirates. The light flashes, and poof you can't see for a moment.

I often ask myself why people don't think the rule (and that's what this is,not a suggestion) doesn't apply to them.

4. msmayor

msmayor Finding my beach...

Any type of flash photography during a live show can actually be quite dangerous to the performers.

Think of how dark a theater is in the audience. The performers, on stage, have bright lights over them but for the most part are looking into darkness. There may be a glowing 'exit' light, or spot somewhere in the distance that they are using as a point of reference. For a dancer, it could be the spot that he/she is using to properly perform multiple spins without getting dizzy.

If a flash goes off, it completely disrupts the ability of a performer to find his/her 'spot', or frame of reference. Its jarring to them, and especially if a dancer is mid-turn can cause them to lose balance, become dizzy and fall.

Its also disrupting the vision of spectators. The bright flash in a darkened theater often causes 'sparkles' in the eyes of those most near the flash, interfering with their vision temporarily.

That's why its normally disallowed.

5. OurDogCisco

OurDogCisco DIS Veteran

And, the worst thing is that photos taken without the flash will come out sooooo much better than the ones taken with a flash. With all the bright lights on the stage and tripod I've gotten some really great pictures...

Most people are generally sitting to far away from the subject for a flash to work.

Tina

6. yazee1

yazee1 <font color=teal>It sounds like we broke the ship!

Thank you. First issue addressed. Now, I know what the deal is with flash photography. If anyone wants to see how Dh's pictures came out when taking pictures in the theatre without a flash, click on my sig line link to our pictures.

I didn't expect such an immediate response to this question. I wonder if those who use the flash will answer my second question about why they do it because I really, genuinely want to hear what they have to say.

7. mattmommy

mattmommy Mouseketeer<br><font color=green>My DS loves rice.

DH loves his new camera, but he knows not to use the flash when it's not allowed or it's a live stage show.

We used to work at community theatre and I had to make the announcement for no eating, drinking, smoking or flash photography. Then I would add if you use flash photography you could blind the actors and they could fall off the stage and land on somebody.

8. momrek06

momrek06 DIS Veteran

To the OP: I have been everywhere, performances on Broadway all the way to shows in Vegas to WDW....and I can honestly say that whenever that
    announcement is made..there is ALWAYS someone that refuses to abide by the rules... :rolleyes:

I do not think I have ever been to any performances/shows that everyone in the audience actually DID AS THEY WERE POLITELY ASKED in re: to flash photography or even candy wrappers for that matter. :rolleyes:

It is POSTED on walls in areas around most theaters and then there is generally a live announcement about the USE of FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY....but then there are also those people here in this world of ours that just completely choose to ignore those rules :rolleyes:

9. princess22

princess22 <font color=indigo>I would just lay around the poo

I don't understand why people use a flash either. I do have a confession though. I accidently took one picture with a flash. I don't know why it flashed though... I swear I didn't turn the flash on. But I turned it right off. Pictures turn out fine without the flash. Maybe people do it because they dont' think their pictures will turn out without the flash, and they hate being told they can't take home a memory of the show. Here are a few of my pics from the shows ALL without the flash!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. princess22

princess22 <font color=indigo>I would just lay around the poo

Sorry that the one of Minnie turned out so big. I really don't understand why some of them turn out a descent size and others turn out way to small or way to big! Oh well...

11. mom_of_2_princesses

mom_of_2_princesses DIS Veteran

People are just rude and their parents did not teach them any better. I bet you can guess which kids are theirs. You can make a list of rules people break on the cruise and at WDW. No talking during life boat drills. No line jumping. No smoking outside designated areas. You get the point. :furious:

12. dreamcometrue

dreamcometrue <font color=blue>Laughed on her wedding night<br><

if you have a good camera, you can get excellent pictures without flash!

The main reasons flash photography is prohibited in many places is because it can be distracting to the performers, and the main reason, I think is, if they'd allow one person to use flash, they'd have to allow everyone, and it would be a sea of flashes going off constantly during a performance which would be VERY annoying to those watching the show.

13. txaggie94gigem

txaggie94gigem <font color="green">Cruisin' with Disney<br><font

i was the one that mentioned that in my post and i totally agree....i will honestly tell you that my husband sometimes believes rules are made to be broken...do i agree? NO! i am a strict rule follower....we are polar opposites! but you are right in that most of the time we are too far back for the pictures to come out anyway....i have just stopped taking the camera to shows and that solves the problem anyway! :blush:

14. Andrew DEREK UK

Andrew DEREK UK DIS Veteran

This is totally correct it can be very danagerous and people should take note of the request, I was at a performance recently and the Entertainment manager on the stage requested this, then he spoke directly to a man with a camcorder with a light on it, he said I can see that its distracting me, the man kept it on, so he said the performance wil lnot start until you switch it off or we take you out of the performance, reluctantly the man with the camcorder stopped.

I cannot see why people think it doesnt mean them??

15. Denise W

Denise W Disney Veteran

I am a musician and when playing in an orchestra or band I am usually in the center facing straight towards the audience. If someone uses a flash, I am momentarily blinded and cannot see my music. It definitely is a problem for whatever type of performer is on the stage. It's too bad some people can't realize that as they continue to ignore the rules.

Denise

16. LarryC

LarryC DVC - VWL

Because people today only care about themselves.

The same people who use a flash are the same ones in jeans at dinner, smoke at the Mickey pool, and reserve chairs at CC but don't show up.

They run when told to walk, steal door decorations, talk loudly in the corridors at 2AM, and refuse to wash their hands after using the restroom.

They "butt-in" line waiting for character pictures, and usually arrive 10 minutes late for dinner, expecting the entire waitstaff to begin the evening AGAIN, just for them.

They usually stiff the crew of their tips, too.

ME ME ME ME ME. I PAID A LOT FOR MY VACATION, (like the rest of us didn't?) AND I'LL DO WHATEVER I WANT!

:rolleyes: ;)

17. rtphokie

rtphokie Photo board moderator Moderator

Most people use flashes in places they shouldn't because they have no idea how to turn it off. Even people with expensive digital SLR cameras leave them in full automatic mode and the flash fires when the camera thinks it should. Most people have never opened their camera's manual once.

The flash on most of these cameras is useless in many of these situations. A little point and shoot digital camera isn't going to have a flash that will reach the stage in any useful way. It really cracks me up to see people in the noseblead seats at sporting events and concerts using their flashes, no flash is going to make it that far.

18. Andrew DEREK UK

Good point people should read the instructions!!

19. daipp

daipp Proud to be Welsh

This is something that has also amazed me - the flash on most cameras is ineffective over 30 feet so why do people even bother?

As you said you often see hundreds of flashes going off in concerts or sport events to little avail when they are so fa away, they may as well light a match and hold it next to the camera.

David

20. Andrew DEREK UK

Unless the subject is close it doesnt work, again people should find out how to switch their flash off.

21. alanapapa

alanapapa <font color=purple>Knows someone who drives a brai

Yes, but that would involve planning and thinking, something most people don't know how to do anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.