Why doesn't Disney do pace groups?

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
I've run 2 Disney Halfs and did my first non-Disney Half this past weekend. I went out with a pace group and had a great race, making a PR.

Why doesn't Disney do this?

With all of the picture and character stops, "pace" is a very different thing when running a Disney race. I run at my easy training pace during these races, but with all of my stops I wouldn't be anywhere near my "pace" group unless everyone stopped together.

Yes, the Cliffbar pace groups are there. I got passed by a number of them after hitting the wall when I was running the 2013 Marathon. :)

And even if you don't want to run *with* them, you can pick up a wristband for free at the Expo at the Clif booth with mile/time markers on it depending on what pace you're shooting for.

I just want to caution first time runners at Disney races. If you have a race time in mind, be prepared to throw it out the window if you also plan on stopping for character photos. Also, you can still run at your race pace, but you should practice the stopping /standing / starting that takes place at the character photo stops. If you are not used to it, it can lead to injury if you are a fast runner.

I found that I needed to ease up a bit on my pace in order to accommodate all of the stopping/starting as my hamstrings were starting to tighten up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter