Why does it matter so much?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by MinnieLovesMickey12, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Hrhpd

Hrhpd DIS Veteran

It is not only 6 inches. That is way too simplistic.

As a previous poster noted:

A full size bed measures 54"x75" or 4050 square inches.

A queen size bed measures 60"x80" or 4800 square inches.

So, in a queen, you are actually getting an additional 750 square inches. 750 is a bit more than 6 extra inches. And 750 square inches makes quite a bit of difference.

The first thing I do before I book a hotel room is check the bed sizes. If it is anything less than a queen, we either either book elsewhere or if the kids are with us, we will make sure we have a king room and a double room. And no, it is not just in my mind. We are very uncomfortable in full size beds.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

True.
    Been married for over 30 years and have been sleeping in a queen that long.
    Prior to that, I had a twin, and it took me some time to adapt to not having my feet hanging off the end of the bed when I got married.

4. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

::yes:: I can definitely tell the difference. I was helping my daughter put the bed sheet on her full size bed. I just laid there for a minute and I can tell the difference from my queen size bed. I'm very petite, but I love the luxury of a bigger space to roll. :)

5. MinnieLovesMickey12

MinnieLovesMickey12 DIS Veteran

No. I definitely was not being confrontational. I was just curious about a subject. But you can never have any topic on here without someone getting defensive or nasty and talking trash. I expect it after reading on these boards for a long time.

But for those of you who genuinely answered my question I appreciate all your responses.

I see it really does matter to some people, and others couldn't care less.

6. Squirlz

Squirlz DIS Veteran

Simply put, if it didn't matter, they wouldn't make different sizes.

7. Aimeedyan

Aimeedyan <font color=blue>Why get all excited about somethi

I think it depends greatly on how tall/wide you are.

DH is 6'5. He hangs off the end of a double so he lays sideways. Which means we can't sleep in the same bed.

If we have to do a double/double, we each sleep in our own bed - which isn't ideal. We've stopped staying at our inlaws because all they have is a double in the guest room :(

8. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

Lol, I always think it will be kind if nice when we stay somewhere with just doubles in the room. For about 2 nights I love having a bed not torn up and space of my own.

9. MinnieLovesMickey12

MinnieLovesMickey12 DIS Veteran

Well there is a BIG difference from a twin to a double. There is almost no difference from a double to a Queen. Then there is a huge difference between a Queen and a King. SO in most cases different bed sizes does make a difference, but getting a bed that is 6 inches wider is not really a difference.

10. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

And 5" longer. Don't know why you refuse to acknowledge that.

11. JessB320

JessB320 DIS Veteran

Whoa has a thread about bed sizes really turned into a heated debate?!? Lol :)

12. Hrhpd

Hrhpd DIS Veteran

750 square inches is a big difference.

At first I agreed that you were just curious on why people preferred a queen bed, but now that you keep arguing that there is no difference and refuse to acknowledge the length difference, I am reassessing how I read your first post.

I do now believe those that said you were a bit condescending, and continue to be, of those that state that they genuinely are uncomfortable in a full bed.

You have trouble believing it, keep saying it is not really a difference and have insinuated it is all in people's heads.

I guarantee you it is not in my head. There is a BIG difference between a full and a queen, whether you want to believe it or not.

13. bookgirl

bookgirl DIS Veteran

For me I can't sleep in a bed with someone is less than a queen because I'm a restless sleeper. If you touch me while I"m sleeping...I'm now awake, and that happens everytime they touch me. Also I'm what you call a sleep heater. My body tempature rises when I sleep so anyone touching me means sweat.

6 inches means a lot under those circumstances.

14. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

Actually it is if you want that 6 inches in width to stay to your own side when hit flashing at 2:am. Perhaps you have never slept with someone who radiates heat or radiates it. When we lived in our first apartment we had no ac. Yikes it could get hit in that bedroom about a dozen nights a year.

And perhaps you are short or don't care if your feet hand off the bed. My husband is tall and does care.

So just because it doesn't affect you doesn't me it doesn't affect others. Not a difficult concept, I'd think!

15. threeboysmom

threeboysmom Our life is what our thoughts make it

Haha, I sleep alone and still need that Queen. I cannot sleep in a twin. I COULD do a double, but much prefer a Queen.