Why does Fidelity need my SSN

jp02

Mouseketeer
I received my contract today from Fidelity and the paperwork has a spot for me to include my SSN. I recently purchased DVC (still waiting to close, but have passed ROFR) using TTS and they didn't need my social. Just curious because I am always reluctant to provide my SSN. Thanks!

Push back and see what they say. When I bought my resale contract there was a place on one of the forms for my SSN. I asked the broker why they needed it and was told that Member Services needed it so I said that I would contact MS directly and provide it myself. When I called MS (when they were putting my contract in the system) they told me they did not need it. They said some people provide it to use as a means of identification when they call MS but that I could set up a password of my own choosing instead so that's what I did.

Perhaps things have changed since I purchased my contract but I would ask for an explanation of who needs it and why.

Disney will require it if they are providing the mortgage (Patriot Act) otherwise, as noted by LisaS, there are other means to provide a password for access to call MS (just think - we are never asked for a SSN when logging onto the DVC Member site).

I would ask why/if they require a SSN for a resale. Unless it is needed for credit reporting (ie ... mortgage), it is not likely required to complete a purchase.

When we bought ours through Fidelity, our paperwork asked for SSN as well. We did not give it to them, and had no trouble. (My husband is an atty. who knew very well that it wasn't needed.)

We sent our closing documents to TTS this week, and there was no mention of a SSN. I definitely would not have provided it if they did.

I have been told by several sources that the Patriot Act requires Social Security Numbers if there is a mortgage.

Another issue is when you sell even without a mortgage, the closing company will report the transaction to the IRS and they will issue you a 1099-S. This requires a SSN.

:earsboy: Bill

A lot of closing docs have this. I've seen it for various non-DVC resales. I don't finance and always decline to provide, and so far no trouble on any of the numerous purchases over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter