Why does drinking always lead us back to Disney? Sept 2017 6/13 update!

DISNEYLAND IS MY HOME PARK! I've visited about 75 times in my lifetime and I LOVE it :love:
We've also had a couple of week-long stays at the Grand Californian

Great!!! stick around so you can answer all my questions! LOL..

Park hoppers are a MUST since both park entrances are literally a 1 minute walk across an esplanade.

Done. not a problem.

As far as restaurants go, I can recommend a few of our Disneyland favorites: Cafe Orleans (for the french onion soup, gumbo, pomme frites, and beignets), Blue Bayou (for the ambience), Plaza Inn lunch or dinner (fried chicken and cobb salad are excellent!), corn dog from the Little Red Wagon at the end of Main Street...there are so many more but those are our go-to's. At the Grand Californian, we really love Storytellers Cafe. Funnily enough, other than a few snacks, we typically don't eat at California Adventure (because all our faves are at Disneyland!).

That's good to know and the ones you have mentioned were all on my list!
I want to make it a great trip yet want to keep the costs down.

I really hope your Disneyland trip works out. You're going to LOVE it. So different from WDW but so wonderful too ::yes:: Planning will be a BREEZE!

Me too I really want to go, Yet i don't want to take away from our WDW trip in Sept. So it all comes down to $$.
Breeze.. I KNOW

Oh my goodness! A trip to Disneyland!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1: You will LOVE it!!

HA! Yep DL is something we ALL want to see!!! Everyone of us. Yet i don't want to take away from our WDW trip. Time and $$ will tell. It's not the trip itself. It's the airfare!!!

It is sooo much different in planning, I totally agree. We are planning another trip out there next year as well. My mother is moving to Cali this August, and the plan is to fly the kids out there for a month or so next summer to stay with my mom and sister, then Erik and I will join them for a vacation and fly them home. I don't know if I can do another Disney trip with my mom though...

Yes it is SO MUCH different! cannot believe it.
Holy cow. She's moving there! WOW!
that will be fun with the kids. I am sure they will love it!
And why not? I don't think i will ever get my mom to disney. Ever.

You are going to lov Disneyland. We went at the end of April. I think the only planning we did was book a vgc 7 months in advance and did a no snow dance since we would have had to pull the girls from school if we had more snow. No snow and we could have added to the trip.

I am worried about snow and being able to fly.. That's a huge factor...

Mo! I have been lurking here there and everywhere, including your TR and PTR, but only have had time to comment on Dorine's PTR. I'm sorry! This year has been a little hectic with my oldest getting married last month. I truly enjoy seeing your adventures with your kiddos. They are getting so big, but still so adorbs. I have been trying to keep up with your PTR, and I am adding my heartfelt hug about your aunt. My Mom had a traumatic brain injury which led to her dementia and it was so hard to watch her go downhill. I hope your aunt will get the care she needs, and remind your Mom all the time to take care of herself. Hope your car karma gets better, and hope you feel better SOON. Take lots of B complex vitamins and C.

Hi!!! :wave:
Glad you decided to chime in!!! Glad to have you!
Congratulations on your oldest getting married!!!
Oh sure.. Everyone wants to post of HER report.. LOL.. Just kidding love the girl dearly.
Thank you! we do love to have our adventures.. A trip to target is an adventure in itself. and we have just discovered COSTCO. Oh My LOVE of all things!!! this is the best store on the planet. totally beats out Sam's..
Thank you for your kind words about my Aunt. My mom is getting a bit overwhelmed. But she won't admit it.
So far so good with my car too!!! YAY!

Onward to Disneyland, I had to add my two cents. I just couldn't wait to chime in. I love, love, love, love me some DL. I was there once as a munchkin and three times as an adult. I don't know Mo, but it is Walt's park where he walked and dreamed and planned, and I get so emotional when I have been there. Yes, its small. Yes, us crazy obsessed planners don't know what to do with ourselves. But, you just plan a little and walk through those gates and just feel Walt's presence. Nothing like it. I'm more relaxed and take it all in since its smaller. And the rides are different (POC! SM!) and I have heard the decorations at holidays are amazing. I haven't been in a while and I would love to see Cars land at CA. I've heard its amazing. So hope you can go and experience this.

Please add away i need as much advice and opinions as one can get.
EXACTLY why i want to go there! It's Walt's park! I want to sit on the bench he sat. I want to pay homage to his apartment! Ohh I can't even imagine the feel of walking through the gates! GIDDY!!!
Yes i am sure we can finally just relax a little more there.. Take it all in. Some reports i have read they have stated they can't even go on a few at WDW anymore since the DL version is so so much better! I doubt we will have that yet sure we will like some from DL better. Like you I can't stand It's a small world... again like you--those who are with me say the DL version is so much better that i will actually LIKE IT! Well. It's ON! i want to go!
Car's land-- I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT!

WDW in September 2017 and your sons and daughter will be TEENAGERS! WHAT? You will have an epic adventure to start them on that teen path. I have lived through the teen years with both my DS and we are all alive to talk about it. (Ha ha). I am so excited and cannot wait to see how you surprise them.

Stop it.
I can't stand the fact they are going to be teenagers. CANNOT STAND IT! Well you give me hope that i too will live through teenage years. I am sure i will be complaining on here about them soon enough.
Honestly i can't wait to see how i pull this one off.

Hopefully, I can chime in more now. Take care Mo!

Carol

Please do! I am so happy you came out of lurkdom! :cheer2:

The plan so far would be:
January either the first week after New Years OR the second week ---
From my understanding the Christmas stuff stays up until the middle of January! YAY:cool1:

Stay at Disneyland Hotel
Possibly Club Level? Since they don't have a dining plan i will need to feed my monsters a lot. It might be cheaper to stay CL rather then buy meals all day. :confused3

Really wish I can get a better idea in what this is going to cost..

Restaurants:
Do you suggest the Packages? For paint the night and World of Color??
Table service:
Ariel's Grotto?
Blue Bayou
Goofy's Kitchen Breakfast.
The Plaza for Breakfast?

How are they? Should storyteller make the list? Again that is 4 table services i wasn't really going to do a TS everyday! BUT it is something we SHOULD DO?

Also what QS is a Must for all of you? Like Dole whip and (sadly no longer) jalapeno pretzel? At least i can get a budget together in food..

Hope this weekend i can put a dent in My planning books?!?!

Walt Disney World~
I have put a great dent in the home movies from 2014.. I really need to get a move on them IF this is the way i am going to surprise them.

Need your IMAGINATIONS!

imagination.jpg

HOW should i have the characters talk to my kids on video? (I do have a friend who is willing to get the videos as i have said before.) BUT should there be a script? Or should they just say things like See ya real soon? Can't wait to meet you again?

Have i told you the kids think we are going back in 2019? Yep! Me and my devious mind has put the thought of a graduation trip to WDW in their little naive minds... Maniacal LAUGH!

tumblr_lv5cd3cI1L1qm0jrz.gif

My evil plan is in place. Now just to figure it all out..

I really need to finish my TR so i can totally focus on these trips!!!

I don't really have any answers to your questions but I will be following along for the answers since I'm planning too!

Reading your PTR yesterday led to me looking at all the restaurants at DL. Being picky I'm kind of struggling with most of the TS restaurants. I've kind of decided that I will try to talk my brother & SIL out of TS restaurants since they will be only doing two days. TS will just take up too much time.

That being said, the one that really jumped out at me was Flo's V8 Cafe in Carsland. The menu sounds yummy and how can you beat pie for dessert!

I don't really have any answers to your questions but I will be following along for the answers since I'm planning too!

Totally can plan this together!

Reading your PTR yesterday led to me looking at all the restaurants at DL. Being picky I'm kind of struggling with most of the TS restaurants. I've kind of decided that I will try to talk my brother & SIL out of TS restaurants since they will be only doing two days. TS will just take up too much time.

I can understand that.. In the same thought i want the Disneyland experience too!

That being said, the one that really jumped out at me was Flo's V8 Cafe in Carsland. The menu sounds yummy and how can you beat pie for dessert!

isn't that a QS?
The view of the cars ride is amazing!

OH! Check this link out pretty much sums up WHY we need to go here:
3 reasons why Disneyland cannot be reproduced!

Holy mega-updates, Batman!!

DISNEYLAND!!! I'm so jealous!! I tried to talk DH into going at least once but he refuses. *SIGH* I know I could take a solo trip but I don't know if I have the personality for that.

I personally think you should let the characters wing their messages. Let them put their own personal little flair on it. :)

For me Goofy's Kitchen is a must do. It is my absolute favorite character meal period! The food selection is good, the omelette bar is great, and the character interaction is great too. Lots of Characters I don't normally see at WDW.

This is so exciting :) I want to make it to Disneyland someday!! The flight is the killer for me--I HATE flying!!! I wish they would make a Disney cruise I could get on in Florida and sail to Anaheim :mickeyjum

And you are SOO sneaky getting your kids thinking about a graduation trip! Way to throw them off the trail!!

upload_2016-6-17_16-50-20.png

So excited and following this with you. Hubby and I were talking just last week of doing Disneyland on Spring Break 2017 and pushing WDW to end of June or July 2017 so that I can have a better chance of Avatar being open. But it is also a double edged sword, because I was trying to get some of Avatar and Flower and Garden all in 1 trip. But the closer it gets to the Spring 2017 release date of Avatar, the less I am confident they will have stuff done in time. I am lost when it comes to where to eat and not having the dining plan scares me because we have always depended on having necessities paid for in advance so the dining plan has always been wonderful for us. Disneyland is a complete new ball game...and to have to save that extra money....:scared: I suck at saving. I do great at Pre-paying... but when I see money just sitting in an account, the devil on my shoulder always wants to spend it. LOL Can't wait to see your choices and I am with you on the hotel choice. I really would love to have those fireworks on my headboard every night too, but we may have to stay at a "good neighbor" hotel for Disneyland to be able to afford both a shorter trip in March and the longer WDW trip in June/July. We have never done 2 vacations in 1 year. It will be madness.

Doing the happy dance for you!!!! Can't wait to see kiddo's reactions when they find out they are going before 2019!

Disneyland would be an awesome trip. I've never been to California and have always wanted to go there.

Are you telling the kids? This would be the biggest surprise ever. :)

Hi!
Back after a little break.
Disneyland sounds amazing! I'd love to get there one day.
Hope this works out for you guys! I can't believe how close you have to book things.

I thought so i know we will stop there..Right now i can ONLY start with TS then work my way down to QS must do's...

Holy mega-updates, Batman!!

HA!

DISNEYLAND!!! I'm so jealous!! I tried to talk DH into going at least once but he refuses. *SIGH* I know I could take a solo trip but I don't know if I have the personality for that.

Thankfully Tom is as much of a Disney kid at heart as i am. So he wants to go as much as i do!!!
I am starting to become more of a solo artist then i ever was.. Especially when i can my camera on my arm. if i didn't have it i wouldn't be able to either!

I personally think you should let the characters wing their messages. Let them put their own personal little flair on it. :)

I think so too. Much easier than to try and figure out a script.

For me Goofy's Kitchen is a must do. It is my absolute favorite character meal period! The food selection is good, the omelette bar is great, and the character interaction is great too. Lots of Characters I don't normally see at WDW.

I figured it would be great!! Between this and the plaza i thought would be the best for Character dining?

This is so exciting :) I want to make it to Disneyland someday!! The flight is the killer for me--I HATE flying!!! I wish they would make a Disney cruise I could get on in Florida and sail to Anaheim :mickeyjum

And you are SOO sneaky getting your kids thinking about a graduation trip! Way to throw them off the trail!!

The flight might be the reason we don't go. the expense along will kill us. So we shall see!!

I MUST KEEP CALM as it might NOT happen. all depends on the money and the expenses! I didn't realize HOW expensive California IS! and no dining plan.. EEK!

So excited and following this with you. Hubby and I were talking just last week of doing Disneyland on Spring Break 2017 and pushing WDW to end of June or July 2017 so that I can have a better chance of Avatar being open.

Ohh I CANNOT wait for avatarland! All the little snippets I've seen just gets me more and more excited to see it all! GAH! it should have BEEN OPENED ALREADY!

But it is also a double edged sword, because I was trying to get some of Avatar and Flower and Garden all in 1 trip. But the closer it gets to the Spring 2017 release date of Avatar, the less I am confident they will have stuff done in time.

Why does this happen? I mean WHY does it take Disney THAT long to build? I understand they do amazing job their details are out of this world yet Harry Potter was built in less then half the time it's taking for avatar!

I am lost when it comes to where to eat and not having the dining plan scares me because we have always depended on having necessities paid for in advance so the dining plan has always been wonderful for us.

You and me both. this is another make it or break it for the january trip! It's so dang expensive! and no dining plan make it worse for having to SAVE!

Disneyland is a complete new ball game...

You aren't whistling Dixie there..

.and to have to save that extra money....:scared: I suck at saving. I do great at Pre-paying...but when I see money just sitting in an account, the devil on my shoulder always wants to spend it.

THIS...
Is exactly it.

LOL Can't wait to see your choices and I am with you on the hotel choice. I really would love to have those fireworks on my headboard every night too, but we may have to stay at a "good neighbor" hotel for Disneyland to be able to afford both a shorter trip in March and the longer WDW trip in June/July. We have never done 2 vacations in 1 year. It will be madness.

Exactly IF we cannot do the things we NEED to do there then whats the point in going? This might be the trip of a lifetime. who knows if we will ever go back? so if we cannot swing both trips in one year we will mire than likely go to WDW in Sept as planned then go to DL in 2018!

Doing the happy dance for you!!!! Can't wait to see kiddo's reactions when they find out they are going before 2019!

You and me both!

Disneyland would be an awesome trip. I've never been to California and have always wanted to go there.

Yes! it's something on our bucket list! so why not TRY to make it happen?

Are you telling the kids? This would be the biggest surprise ever. :)

DL trip? yeah they know. ONLY because we are keeping the sept a surprise. this way it keep the "we aren't going until 2019" ruse going.. and still get a Disney fix. Where they know i cannot wait that long to go to Disney

Hi!
Back after a little break.
Disneyland sounds amazing! I'd love to get there one day.
Hope this works out for you guys! I can't believe how close you have to book things.

WELCOME BACK!!!!!
Thank you! yeah it's a bit of a whirlwind of HOW this all works.

Mo, I wanted to share this picture with you. thought you might like it.....

View attachment 176233

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I just adore this! although i like the one with YOU IN IT better!!

:hug:

So, I will have to ask some friends of mine about DLR. I have some friends that are part of a pod cast that do some foodie things at both parks...I will ask your food questions of them and let you know what they say. (may just tag you on FB if I can figure out how to do that...LOL)

And yes...I loved my 3 year anniversary. A friend of mine hit it last week. You should see the texts she sent me yesterday! They were pretty funny! I will PM you some things...

I would LOVE to just see the nighttime shows and parades!

Just stuff.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Honestly i blinked and it was over. Hate that.

I had every intention of going to see FINDING DORY but time is always against me. Friday was a new Beginner's class with new people. Never fun.

Friday the kids called and asked if they can go to the park. Sure! well the good little responsible kids that they are called my Mom and asked if she would take them.
That got me thinking. They are going to be 12. Yeah.. How about that one.
Can't stand the fact they are stuck in the house all day while Tom and i are at work. Nothing fun there. ( i like it since they clean the house!) Remember i DO live in Chicago. Nothing safe. and i am wreck
So i spoke with Tom on my concerns yet i DO have to let them have some freedom. at their age i was riding my bike ALL over the place at friends houses and just wreaking havoc across the neighborhood with my friends, this is a different time and place than the 80's So when i got home from work i bit the bullet and bought the kids all cell phones.
I have to remember they do not look like this:

But this:

Or the picture from Tess... They are almost taller then i am. With a cell phone it give me a sense of calm I will text and call them a WHOLE LOT.. LOL! Hopefully the phones should be in today.

Saturday my sister and i were supposed to go shopping for BBQ on sunday but i wasn't able to get a hold of her until much later in the day and by that time we were already at a graduation party left early because 1 i HAD to go shopping 2. I had to be at job #2 at 7am 3- peanut had to pack as she was going with my weekend daughter Meg (the one i took to the farewell to Duffy trip) adn her grandparents to indiana beach. First time she has gone on a vacation without me. :scared1: I am doing OK as she is calling every chance she has. Yet this is killing me a little. She will be back on Wednesday. Boys are not happy.. They need better friends. LOL

I was shocked to learn Costco closes at 6pm on a saturday! WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? oh well walmart we went. Not a huge fan of our Walmart.

Woke up way too early on sunday to go to work. thankfully they let me go early. But i was a hot MESS! lots of work! just ick

After work had to cook a few things and off to my sisters, i was just dog tired we had a good time but i was home by 4:30 the boys watched a movie and i fell asleep! woke up and my friend Chunk came by. we watched another movie and that was the end of my weekend! See! Blink of an eye and it was over!

Hope Job #2 does not need me and i can go home. Boys have practice i really don't need to stay there and i can GO HOME! yay!

So, I will have to ask some friends of mine about DLR. I have some friends that are part of a pod cast that do some foodie things at both parks...I will ask your food questions of them and let you know what they say. (may just tag you on FB if I can figure out how to do that...LOL)

Ohhhh That would be awesome!!!

And yes...I loved my 3 year anniversary. A friend of mine hit it last week. You should see the texts she sent me yesterday! They were pretty funny! I will PM you some things...

Sounds fun! Nothing fun happens with that by us.. :sad1:

I would LOVE to just see the nighttime shows and parades!

Exactly!! it's all so fantastic!

They are just growing up way too fast!

Jim and I saw Finding Dory on Saturday, it was great! Jim even stayed awake this time so it must have been really good. He slept through Finding Nemo.

I had every intention of going to see FINDING DORY but time is always against me. Friday was a new Beginner's class with new people. Never fun.

The kids took dad to see Finding Dory yesterday for fathers day! LOL yes...it was all for Dad! It was pretty good. REALLY enjoyed the short at the beginning. My daughter loved baby Dory and of coarse we stayed past the credits for the little extra surprise! I will say no more because I don't want to spoil it for you, but definitely worth a watch!

this is a different time and place than the 80's So when i got home from work i bit the bullet and bought the kids all cell phones.

I think this is a bullet worth biting! In today's society... they NEED cell phones at earlier ages. Back in the 80s when we were their age...everyone still had home phones, so if you needed to call home, it was no big deal as long as it was a local call, but now things are different. Our kids don't even know what a "local" call is... they only know minutes and text allowance. I didn't like my son or daughter having to ask a friend to use their friends phone because you never know if it is prepaid or not and I didn't want my kids using up their minutes/text allowance to try to call us. We live very close to the middle school too, so they walk to and from school every day and I just wanted them to have the ability to get a hold of us if they needed to. It's not like the old days where if you needed help, you could knock on someones door and get help. Now, it may be THAT person behind that door that they need help getting away from. It is a scary place and I am a little more settled in it knowing that I am at least giving my kids a way to try to get help if they need it.

From my understanding the Christmas stuff stays up until the middle of January! YAY:cool1:

That's cool! I wonder how chilly it is in SoCal in January... Is it like Florida?

It might be cheaper to stay CL rather then buy meals all day. :confused3

This. I have run these numbers too; DD is technically free, but the way that little one eats I'll be buying her all kinds of stuff. Plus CL is SO easy and convenient...

Or should they just say things like See ya real soon? Can't wait to meet you again?

I like this one! I've seen the script too, but I really like the little phrases first, then some more personal stuff, "See you soon Meg." "See you in September" etc

Have i told you the kids think we are going back in 2019? Yep! Me and my devious mind has put the thought of a graduation trip to WDW in their little naive minds... Maniacal LAUGH!

LOL! Nice job, you sneaky mom!

Honestly i blinked and it was over. Hate that.

The worst! And it always happens on the fun days, never work days.

at their age i was riding my bike ALL over the place at friends houses and just wreaking havoc across the neighborhood with my friends, this is a different time and place than the 80's So when i got home from work i bit the bullet and bought the kids all cell phones.

Good idea! Even in the mid 90's we rode around, until dusk. But by the time I was a teenager (14, I think) I got a pager and then a cell phone. Too many wackos on the loose these days.

With a cell phone it give me a sense of calm I will text and call them a WHOLE LOT.. LOL!

::yes::

I am doing OK as she is calling every chance she has. Yet this is killing me a little. She will be back on Wednesday. Boys are not happy.. They need better friends. LOL

OMG! The first trip away on her own!! that's a big one. I'd be a mess.

we had a good time but i was home by 4:30 the boys watched a movie and i fell asleep!

Whoa! you were tired!

Hope Job #2 does not need me and i can go home. Boys have practice i really don't need to stay there and i can GO HOME! yay!

I hope so too; Mama needs her rest as much, if not more so, than the kiddos!

Take care Mo, hope all is well!:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter