Why does DCL have us congregate inside the theater instead of outside by the lifeboats?

Actually on my last cruise when I went to my Muster station for the drill, a woman sat near me, had my Muster station in Animator's Palate, she asked me if I could pretend to be her sister. She then told me that her sister was in a wheelchair and they couldn't get her into the place and the elevators weren't working. She also told me that the CMs knew and she had permission. I had no clue what to do, I said nothing. I made sure that the woman knew I was uncomfortable with the situation. I had already checked in. The thing is I had put my cell phone on silent mode and it buzzed during Muster, I didn't answer. After the drill I found out my father had been released from the hospital where he had been for the week before I left.

Something doesn't sound right. Our last cruise on the Fantasy, I saw several wheelchairs on the drill, and at least one in our muster station which was inside. I cant think of a reason why a cm would ok asking someone to pretend to be some ones sister if the cm was okaying the person not to be there.

It was easy to see if you were in the wrong spot by accident,but now you have to physically be accounted for. So if you show up to the wrong spot, a cm should be asking anyone I didn't call, and they should catch it and point them in the right direction. As I said before, I really cant think of anywhere you could be hiding so to speak to deliberately miss the drill. But then again, I don't purposely plan to miss the drill.

I just can't believe that there are people that would try to skip a mandatory drill. I guess there are all types, but I just see it as something like airport security, you don't want to deal with it, but you know you don't have a choice.

I don't think it happens as often as we may think. It probably does happen, and its probably the same people that have that sense of entitlement, been here before done it enough times, Im not going again, Ill take all the flash pictures I want of the shows, and save as many seats at the pool/beach people. Would I have an issue with kicking those who deliberately ignore the safety drill or otherwise work harder to avoid it then to go to it, Ill help them to the gangway.

True but at the same time, they would have to do the same life jacket training for everyone since its no longer required to wear one to the muster drill. Realistically, how many people actually take the time to try one on and to see how it works in the cabin? I know theres a few but out of say 2500 on the Magic class or 4000 on the Dream class.

I wasn't saying they should make them put the lifejackets on, but doesn't a CM demonstrate how to anymore?
A letter is a poor substitute for them not even having to find their muster station and meet a CM there IMO.
Realistically, I would think probably 5-10% do try them on themselves in their cabin at best. And thats probably only for selfies! :p:rolleyes1

There are a number of muster stations, some of which are on deck. Not all the muster stations are in the theaters. But they cannot fit all 4,000 (or however many passengers are onboard) cruisers out on the deck at the same time. You need to report to your muster station in the event of a real emergency to maintain order and get people onto the life boats in an orderly fashion.

This. It simply isn't practical. Safe or not? Nothing is safe. Nothing.

There is only the illusion of safety for those who choose to be so oblivious.

I actually preferred the indoor muster, nicer to just sit back and relax. It's not like even 20% of the passengers are going to remember what to do or how to be civil in the event of an actual abandon ship event anyway. It's basically all window dressing.

It's still safer to be on a cruise ship than driving in a car. Perspective.

I was a medic in the army, deployed to Iraq, have been trained in mass casualties, evacuations, etc.
I have actually HAD to do those in real life. No matter how planned a situation is, you can't plan for everything. But you CAN offer a plan B. I am not saying NOT to go to the muster station. I am saying that they need to have a back up for every muster station. Not even saying it needs to be at the lifeboats, but if everyone is running from a burning theater that is my muster station, and they didn't tell me where to go in the evet that my muster station is not accessible, then should I just stand there? No! But where exactly should I go? Against the crowds to the burning theater? Against the crowds to the upper deck staterooms? Out to the lifeboats that may be in a completely different direction than where my lifeboat is located? Again, causing chaos against the crowds.
That's what my point is getting at. Telling me to just go to my muster station isn't good enough (clearly I would go because that's the protocol), but my point is they need to give a secondary location in the event that a specific muster station is not accessible.
Being that I have had to plan for evacuations, mass casualties, etc. I can tell you right now, a blanket response of just go to your muster station is not the best response.
Talk to your CM and ask them where you should go if the muster station is not accessible. I asked mine, and guess what, they had to ask their supervisor after his initial response of "just come here". When I explained that what if "here" is on fire where should we go, he paused and went to ask his supervisor.
So don't tell me they are all trained in this and know what they are doing. If it was an emergency and I had to ask where we should go, this CM would have been clueless thus causing more panic.

I read this after my reply. I think this exactly shows the difference between the 97% of people and the 3%.

Eeyore, not everyone thinks like we do and as I'm sure you have found out from your service, most people can't remember the Plan A, let alone a plan B, lol.

From one (former) medic to another, I completely understand where you are coming from. I also know people and this is all par for the course. Sucks but that's how the herd stampedes.

I wasn't saying they should make them put the lifejackets on, but doesn't a CM demonstrate how to anymore?
A letter is a poor substitute for them not even having to find their muster station and meet a CM there IMO.
Realistically, I would think probably 5-10% do try them on themselves in their cabin at best. And thats probably only for selfies! :p:rolleyes1

I think they do. I'll know for sure in July. The one problem with something other then a letter say actually making someone go to a muster station is that some paths are behind closed doors during normal.ship operations. There may be a cm that visits them I honestly don't know.

Personally I think the life jackets that the cms wear are too bulky. They need a smaller jacket to do what they need to.do.

This. It simply isn't practical. Safe or not? Nothing is safe. Nothing.

There is only the illusion of safety for those who choose to be so oblivious.

I actually preferred the indoor muster, nicer to just sit back and relax. It's not like even 20% of the passengers are going to remember what to do or how to be civil in the event of an actual abandon ship event anyway. It's basically all window dressing.

It's still safer to be on a cruise ship than driving in a car. Perspective.
I guess I like to be more optimistic. I think that the majority will remember the basics and follow instructions. There will always be those who panic or don't pay attention at drills, but I think most take them seriously and will do their best.
(I agree it is safer than driving.)

I think if the brown stuff did hit the fan, the pax who were not doing as they were told would see a very different side of the CM's, a lot less fluffy and "Disney" like, and a lot more do as you are told.
I for one would back them up 100% with any rowdy pax!

Your 100% correct C6PT7!.,. In a real emergency all the training the skills these men and women CM's have had drilled into them will out and it will be polite......direct....command mode. I do believe anyone acting like a idiot will find not only the CM's but many passengers will be putting them in line. Look at planes these days.....a passenger steps out of line and gives the flight crew a problem, most if not all the passengers are all over them....and rightfully so.

AKK

....They used to have so many warnings about tripping, it makes me wonder if that isn't why they stopped. It's too bad, because I think it is good practice to put one on - even though they aren't the most comfortable to wear.

It was probably more likely due to the fact that people didn't listen to the CMs when they said to keep the vests on until they returned to their staterooms. We always saw people taking them off in the stairwells and handing them over to someone so they could go right up to the sailaway party and get a better spot.

At least this isn't another chair hog thread. 12 years on the boards and this is the first time I've seen this discussed.

From one (former) medic to another, I completely understand where you are coming from. I also know people and this is all par for the course. Sucks but that's how the herd stampedes.

I would think that coming across a group of people who trust in those who will be saving them, who are willing to listen to them and know that they will be taken care of, would be nice for those who are normally the "savers". Seems to me the disconnect is when the "savers" now get to be on the other side. Now it's time for those normally in charge to relax. It's not your business what plan Z is. Let the ones in charge on the ship work that out. Just like you wouldn't want the random civilian to demand plan Z because that'll be your job to work out, it's now their job.

Dosnt mean we're in a herd or something.

I would think that coming across a group of people who trust in those who will be saving them, who are willing to listen to them and know that they will be taken care of, would be nice for those who are normally the "savers". Seems to me the disconnect is when the "savers" now get to be on the other side. Now it's time for those normally in charge to relax. It's not your business what plan Z is. Let the ones in charge on the ship work that out. Just like you wouldn't want the random civilian to demand plan Z because that'll be your job to work out, it's now their job.

Dosnt mean we're in a herd or something.

"Random" exactly our point.

It goes along with the fact that 50% of all doctors finished in the bottom half of their class or that an EMT only needs 80% to pass their written exam....

Being "in charge", "licensed" or "certified" means nothing more than scraping by with the bare minimum.

Do I need to know all the ins and outs? Nope. Do I want to be one of the oblivious masses, being herded around like cattle? Nope.

Being "in charge", "licensed" or "certified" means nothing more than scraping by with the bare minimum.

I cannot speak for the medical industry, but this statement is just wrong in the Maritime Industry.

The officers and crews of the major cruise lines and most maritime nations go thought extensive training, both written and practical. All designed and tested to demonstrate a full knowledge and practical ability to be certified, in command and licensed for the positions they hold.

For example, to get a Oceans, unlimited 3rd Officer or 3rd engineer license you go though what amounts to a College Masters program, a minimum of 4 years, 3 semesters a year ( 6 months training at sea). Your testing goes on and on, and covering /certifying the person testing in +/-40 areas. To pass you have to do much more then bare minimum, you need to demonstrate a written knowledge and practical ability to high standards.

AKK

It goes along with the fact that 50% of all doctors finished in the bottom half of their class or that an EMT only needs 80% to pass their written exam....
50% of everybody finished in the bottom half of everything or else the “bottom” half wouldn’t be the bottom half. Simply being the “bottom half” does not in and of itself denote a low level of competence. George Patton was in the “bottom half” of his class at West Point and took more than the typical 4 years to graduate. Not a bad “bottom half” if you ask me.

Being "in charge", "licensed" or "certified" means nothing more than scraping by with the bare minimum..
I suppose that is true of licensed or certified, but the “bare minimum” can actually be a very high standard and take years to achieve. To be in charge one typically has to demonstrate a level of competence prior to be granted “in charge” status.

I cannot speak for the medical industry, but this statement is just wrong in the Maritime Industry.

The officers and crews of the major cruise lines and most maritime nations go thought extensive training, both written and practical. All designed and tested to demonstrate a full knowledge and practical ability to be certified, in command and licensed for the positions they hold.

For example, to get a Oceans, unlimited 3rd Officer or 3rd engineer license you go though what amounts to a College Masters program, a minimum of 4 years, 3 semesters a year ( 6 months training at sea). Your testing goes on and on, and covering /certifying the person testing in +/-40 areas. To pass you have to do much more then bare minimum, you need to demonstrate a written knowledge and practical ability to high standards.

AKK

Technically you are both correct.

as high as the standards are they are still the legal or company "minimum"

In the construction industry for example , it is important to remember that "up to code" is the same as "minimum level of quality that's not illegal"

I'm trying to figure out where it's been said that DISNEY has people only meeting the "bare minimum"... My guess - and it's only that - is that the majority of their operational crew officers are going to be well above "bare minimum" status.

I'm trying to figure out where it's been said that DISNEY has people only meeting the "bare minimum"... My guess - and it's only that - is that the majority of their operational crew officers are going to be well above "bare minimum" status.

If there are standards involved you can't avoid the word "minimum", and "bare minimum" has the same definition, only more emphasis

However high Disney sets the standard, anyone who passes that assessment has met the "bare minimum"

If there are standards involved you can't avoid the word "minimum", and "bare minimum" has the same definition, only more emphasis

However high Disney sets the standard, anyone who passes that assessment has met the "bare minimum"

But where is it said that is ALL they have met? That they haven't gone over and above?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter