Why does an 11yr old, have to pay full price

bigcat2000

Earning My Ears
First let me sat that i would be the first person not to allow an 11-17 yr old, children in the adult sections of the ship. or to be able to enjoy the nights or the bruch at Palos. then why is Disney charging a full adult fare to an 11 yr old person. i believe there should be a fare for children to 11. then mayeb like a discounted rate for the kids between 11-17. then an adult fares. i was just wondering about this. any help would be galdly accecpted. thank you

Those kids clubs cost money in staff and equipment, this is one way to pay for it all.
BTW, I used to visit Durham often years ago, nice place.

An 11-year-old pays a lower fare if he or she is the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin. (Actually, the 3rd or 4th adult also pays a lower price.) If the child is the 2nd person in the cabin, he or she pays full fare no matter what age.

It is probably based on the same reasoning that you pay for an adult ticket for 10 yos at WDW.

I looked at my pricing and my 3YO pays just a few dollars less than my 11YO. And the 3YO will just turn 3 (5 days) before we cruise.

11YO as passenger 3 $1,256.08 vs 3YO as passenger 6 $1,241.08

The rates for kids 3-12 are discounted slightly from the "adult" rates. Actually, most published rates assume that the 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin are children. In the fine print, you will see a "$100 surcharge for passengers 13 and older" as the 3rd and 4th. (7 day cruises). The first 2 guests in a cabin pay full adult fare regardless of age. With some of the specials, there has been no "adult surcharge" in cat 12.

As above--the kid programs are expensive to run. It's probably cheaper for DCL when numbers 3 and 4 are adults.

We snagged a really good deal on a 4 day fall cruise for a CAT 12 and the breakdown was:

$386 (first two adults)
$349 (11 yr old son)
$324 (7 yr old daughter)

My sister also booked this same cruise and this was her breakdown:

$386 (first two adults)
$334 (8 yr old DD)
$324 (4 yr old son)

So the price fluctuates a tad for the kids, but I have yet to figure out how they come up with the prices vs age, especially based on our DD's ages :confused3 (not complaining, I'm thrilled with our prices:lovestruc , just don't understand it either).

I looked at my pricing and my 3YO pays just a few dollars less than my 11YO. And the 3YO will just turn 3 (5 days) before we cruise.

11YO as passenger 3 $1,256.08 vs 3YO as passenger 6 $1,241.08

Too bad you couldn't cruise the week before your DD turned 3 as under 3 year olds only pay port taxes and government fees of about $250 for a 7 day.

MJ

Too bad you couldn't cruise the week before your DD turned 3 as under 3 year olds only pay port taxes and government fees of about $250 for a 7 day.

MJ

Oh you know I tried... Our problem was when I booked back in Dec 07 we didn't know when the kids would be off of school. I spent the better part of 3 months trying to get our cruise moved to any of 3 weeks (before, during & after easter school vacation) so we could also do WDW. No go with our suite booking. Would have changed a lot of things if we were able to do it.

But, I'm happy we got what we do, we are going to see Tortola which DCL has never done and I'm just happy to be heading for warmer weather and happy times. This winter was a real bummer for some reason. Can't wait for sun & fun.

An 11-year-old pays a lower fare if he or she is the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin. (Actually, the 3rd or 4th adult also pays a lower price.) If the child is the 2nd person in the cabin, he or she pays full fare no matter what age.

Yep.

Exactly..... Each cabin's rates are based on double occupancy. If there were only one person in the room, the rate is a lot higher than if two people were in the room. The 3rd and 4th passengers are discounted. If your child is the 2nd passenger, then they pay adult rate. This is why we alert families of 5 that they will be paying adult rates for 2 of the kids if booking 2 rooms.:thumbsup2 Actually ALL cruiselines book the cabins based on double occupancy & discount #3 & #4. DCL since the prices are higher based rate #3 & #4 on three seperate age categories. This difference is only a few dollars between the three age brackets though. I forget the exact brackets but they are something like this if the kids are passengers #3 & #4.
6mo. - 2yrs (Only pay port taxes & Fees. Even Transfers are free).
3yrs. - 7 yrs Price A
8yrs. - 12 yrs. Price B
13yrs. - 17 yrs. Price C
Now prices A, B & C only differ a few dollars.
So if your child is passenger #3 or #4, he IS paying a slightly lower rate.

Now the other cruiselines really do just make passengers #3 & #4 lower regardless of age. DCL just does a bit more of a noticable reduction because the base prices are higher. :thumbsup2

Why does an 11 year old pay full price at any of the parks? Disney policy, and it has worked for over 50 years.
I suspect a child actually costs Disney more to provide services to than an adult. Those clubs cost money to run, as does the free soda. And an 11 year is isn't going to be buying alcoholic drinks, or going to Palo, or going to the Spa, all the extra cost items Disney makes some much money on.

First let me sat that i would be the first person not to allow an 11-17 yr old, children in the adult sections of the ship. or to be able to enjoy the nights or the bruch at Palos. then why is Disney charging a full adult fare to an 11 yr old person. i believe there should be a fare for children to 11. then mayeb like a discounted rate for the kids between 11-17. then an adult fares. i was just wondering about this. any help would be galdly accecpted. thank you

you would be able to answer that if you saw my11 year old eat on the last cruise -- adult meals -as much as he wanted -- sometimes more than one at each meal!

you would be able to answer that if you saw my11 year old eat on the last cruise -- adult meals -as much as he wanted -- sometimes more than one at each meal!

Same with my DS and he is 9. In food alone he get's his money's worth.:rotfl:

That is my thought as well... prices go up with age because of the increase in food costs. My DS10 ate his weight in pizza every day. He also ate adult appetizers and desserts at meals, and sometimes an adult entree on top of the kids meal.

I guess we can all start charging what we want for children when we own our personal cruiselines. ;)

It costs a lot of $$ to get that big ship moving and everyone, no matter age, benefits from being out on the beautiful sea and getting to go to the ports.

I don't mind that so much...an 11 year old will eat & use the services. Tell me why on "other" cruise lines, my 6mth old would pay about the same as my 4 year old?? The 6mth old doesn't eat ANYTHING they provide or use ANY services except maybe babysitting that you pay for anyway. :-) That's another reason why I love Disney so much!

We priced out RCL and DCL...DCL came in almost $2000 cheaper for my family of 4 in an inside cabin!! Kids will be 2 & 5 at time of sailing. We booked WAY in advance...but still. :goodvibes

It is now the same price for us to put our DD13 and DD15 in their own cat 11 cabin and move them out of our cat 8 cabin because their cost has risen to almost an adult price. It costs me the same and I get the two "throw down my items wherever I am when I'm done with them" kids in their own messy room so DH and I will have a significantly less messy cabin. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter